Old 12-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Eug
Lifer

Default Dec. 2012 tablet web traffic base: iPad (87%) vs. others

http://insights.chitika.com/2012/dec...tablet-update/

(US and Canada)

iPad: 87% web traffic (-1%)
Kindle Fire: 4.25% web traffic (+19%)
Samsung Galaxy: 2.65% web traffic (+12%)
Google Nexus: 1.65 web traffic (+16%)

So, it seems the Kindle Fire is still dominating on the Android tablet side, which must really irritate Google. I guess the good news for Google is Android tablet web traffic overall is increasing, with a little bit of that increase at the expense of Apple's.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
iOS: iPad 2 | iPhone 5s
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Android: Nexus 7 (2012)
Eug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
zerogear
Diamond Member

I guess for me, mine would never show up on their web impression since I block ad on the hosts/domain level after rooting asap for any Android device.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Eug
Lifer

Maybe, but I betcha you represent less than 1% percent of tablet owners anyway.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Old 12-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogear View Post
I guess for me, mine would never show up on their web impression since I block ad on the hosts/domain level after rooting asap for any Android device.
This.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
cheezy321
Diamond Member

This is exactly why whenever I see some 'survey' that says android has more than 30% of the tablet market I tend to laugh. It's even worse for the android camp if you consider the kindle fire is not a true android tablet.

Other unscientific studies corroborate this:

The biggest problem with America is not faceless corporate forces; the biggest problem with America is people who blame faceless corporate forces instead of accepting accountability for their own lives. - Chuck Klosterman
cheezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Crap Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy321 View Post
This is exactly why whenever I see some 'survey' that says android has more than 30% of the tablet market I tend to laugh. It's even worse for the android camp if you consider the kindle fire is not a true android tablet.
You do know that US and Canada are not exactly the whole world?
Crap Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
bonkers325
Lifer

Quote:

i'd say 30% is right. a quarter of people i see on subways using tablets are using nexus7 or kindle fire. a handful might be using nook. i've never seen an asus transformer in the wild before.
bonkers325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
preslove
Lifer

Has there been a scientific study of the accuracy of web impressions? I've seen anecdotes of android devices being picked up as iOS devices or desktop web browsers because the browsers are webkit, some browsers can be set to desktop mode, and the data collection methods are flawed.
What is jesus's middle name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
...I was in it for the mutton kebabs but found myself eating penis. It happens.
preslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preslove View Post
Has there been a scientific study of the accuracy of web impressions? I've seen anecdotes of android devices being picked up as iOS devices or desktop web browsers because the browsers are webkit, some browsers can be set to desktop mode, and the data collection methods are flawed.
I don't recall seeing any in depth reporting on it, but several articles have been posted here showing various Android browsers identifying as Safari/iOS so they get served the 'tablet optimized' mobile version.
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preslove View Post
Pretty much this. I use Dolphin browser and it's reported as mobile Safari by all the sites I visit. Same with Firefox Beta browser. So when I use Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, and CM9 Touchpads, all the sites think I'm using an iPad/iPhone since the browser is flagged as Safari when it's not. All these web traffic figures/study are worthless and completely wrong.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
KentState
Diamond Member

Quote:

So iPad users are bigger attention whores
KentState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
DLeRium
Lifer

I don't doubt iOS users represent a bigger share of the web traffic out there. The people with iDevices ismply use their devices more. I have enough friends in startups or interested in startups. Everytime a new mobile app comes out it's always iOS first. Android coming later (and usually a crappier port version that runs like ass).

There's a reason they debut iOS first and then Android later. It's not because iOS has a smaller marketshare.

I know people love discussing marketshare, but a good chunk of Android users are those who finally upgraded their dumbphones with a QWERTY keyboard so they could text all day long.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
Eug
Lifer

My web designer friends who build apps for large companies never even bother making Android versions. Some of their colleagues do though, but that's where it stops: iOS >>> Android... with no other mobile platforms supported at all.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
I don't recall seeing any in depth reporting on it, but several articles have been posted here showing various Android browsers identifying as Safari/iOS so they get served the 'tablet optimized' mobile version.
This.

Cue the usual suspects claiming the usual nonsense though.
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
ponyo
Lifer

Dolphin = Safari
Boat = Safari
Firefox Beta = Safari

I don't know about Opera since I don't use it but if you use any of the above browsers on Android, you're using iPad/iPhone according to web site traffic trackers.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #16
mosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
Pretty much this. I use Dolphin browser and it's reported as mobile Safari by all the sites I visit. Same with Firefox Beta browser. So when I use Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, and CM9 Touchpads, all the sites think I'm using an iPad/iPhone since the browser is flagged as Safari when it's not. All these web traffic figures/study are worthless and completely wrong.
Nothing you said there discounts the report linked above. Android user agent strings contain the word "android" along with things like "Applewebkit" and "safari". Sites that think you are on a iPhone probably think that because they don't care that you are on an android phone. I am pretty confident that these ad analytics companies are smart enough to add another piece to their regexs to catch the different OS.
mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
mosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
I believe these reports come from ad requests. Just because a website thinks you are on an iPhone(probably because they don't care about targeting android phones, just WebKit/safar), doesn't mean that the requests to the advertising servers classify the requests as the same thing.
mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #18
Zaap
Diamond Member

More team sports nonsense. Who personally cares how many other people own/use the exact same thing as they do? I don't understand whatever weird psychology is behind this.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
KentState
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
My web designer friends who build apps for large companies never even bother making Android versions. Some of their colleagues do though, but that's where it stops: iOS >>> Android... with no other mobile platforms supported at all.
When we started our mobile site last year, iOS accounted for 90% of mobile traffice and 95% of mobile sales. Android was starting to make up some ground, but nothing significant. This was strictly for non-tablet mobile devices (phones and iPods). In general, we found that iOS users are more likely to shop and spend time browsing than other users disproportional to the market share of devices.

Just from personal experience spending time in usability labs, there is a difference in culture between iPhone and Android users.
KentState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #20
styrafoam
Platinum Member

Who is chitka? What sites do they serve? I clicked on the link to their home page and I don't ever recall seeing an ad from any of their premium customers.

Either way, I guess some people got some ipads and then they got on the internet. That's great.
styrafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #21
lopri
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaap View Post
More team sports nonsense. Who personally cares how many other people own/use the exact same thing as they do? I don't understand whatever weird psychology is behind this.
For real. I don't know why people care about someone else's choice of browsers, let alone market share.

What does market share of a corporation X has anything to do with my wallet or my intellectual curiosity..? Or yours? This is a serious question.

Reminds me of those people arguing same-sex marriage is ruining their heterosexual marriage.

P.S. OK the last sentence belongs to P&N. I apologize.
lopri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #22
lopri
Elite Member

I mean, do people here care about Internet Explorer's 50%+ market share when choosing their own browsers or devices? Furthermore, does such a statistics say anything about the merits of different browsers?

Edit: Reading the chart again, basically what it informs us is that Apple has sold many more iPads than Android tablets..

Umm... Duh?

Last edited by lopri; 12-29-2012 at 01:57 AM.
lopri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #23
Oyeve
Lifer

What is the point of this thread?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #24
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopri View Post
For real. I don't know why people care about someone else's choice of browsers, let alone market share.

What does market share of a corporation X has anything to do with my wallet or my intellectual curiosity..? Or yours? This is a serious question.
It tells the corporations what platforms to support with app development, hence my previous post. The support and viability of the ecosystem is important to mainstream users.

But that should be completely obvious.

What was not quite as obvious to me was the relative proportions of Apple to Android users, and proportions of type of Android users.

I find it rather telling that the #1 Android platform is Amazon.

Last edited by Eug; 12-29-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #25
grkM3
Golden Member

My android tab says posted by iOS when in post on fb and my cell always uses full browser and would show that I'm using a desktop.
8GB Gskill 2200 7-10-7-1t
Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
2 GTX 560TI in SLI
grkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote