· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
torodhan

Default ASUS SSD caching

I have installed ASUS SSD caching with 320 GB and 2 TB conventional drive. User ASUS P9X79 Deluxe motherboard. Before I activated ASUS SSD Caching vuiste windows experience index 7.9 but after repeated use ASUS SSD Caching appears only 5.3. What is wrong?
torodhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
BrightCandle
Diamond Member

Presumably before you enabled the SSD caching Windows did its performance test against your SSD which resulted in the 7.9 score you received. Then you enabled the SSD as a cache, making it no longer available as a drive and Windows has done the test against the pair of the drives and thus the subsequent performance drop.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
BonzaiDuck
Diamond Member

I'm only guessing that you've performed your Windows Experience tests with the ISRT running in "Enhanced" mode. You may want to try "Maximized" just to see if the results improve.

I'm trying to remember (without calling up the appropriate dialog) how my own ISRT configuration fared. But I do recall right away my conclusion about it. I have the boot-system-software drive cached with a 64GB SSD (SATA-III), and another SATA-III drive (for DVR and other files) connected without any caching or ISRT. So obviously, my disk score would suffer for the second HDD.

One more thing. Did you say you used a 320GB SSD for the caching? I hope you're not giving it double-duty -- as both cache and partitioned SSD. I believe this is a bad idea, although people have tried it and post a procedure for it. As far as I know, the Z77 motherboards still only allow a 64GB SSD cache, and I don't think it would be different for socket-2011/X79. Correct me if I am wrong on this last point.

Last edited by BonzaiDuck; 12-01-2012 at 02:44 PM.
BonzaiDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
torodhan

I bought a 500GB SSD disk and I try to disable SSD Caching before I install it. I can not access the SSD Caching in AI Suite to disable, only get error message when I try.

Can I just take out the old SSD drive and install a new one, will the SSD Caching be disabled then or can it damage anything.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
blackened23
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torodhan View Post
I have installed ASUS SSD caching with 320 GB and 2 TB conventional drive. User ASUS P9X79 Deluxe motherboard. Before I activated ASUS SSD Caching vuiste windows experience index 7.9 but after repeated use ASUS SSD Caching appears only 5.3. What is wrong?
You have a platter HD with a system partition. If you have multiple drives with a system partition, the WEI is based on the platter HD usually. Furthermore, when you use asus SSD caching the SSD disappears. Windows does not see it, administrative tools does not see it. So windows sees only your platter HD - and thus bases the score on the platter HD.

Why the heck are you using WEI as any meaningful type of benchmark? WEI is not a good benchmark. It is pretty worthless, to be honest.

Last edited by blackened23; 12-27-2012 at 01:00 PM.
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
blackened23
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzaiDuck View Post
I'm only guessing that you've performed your Windows Experience tests with the ISRT running in "Enhanced" mode. You may want to try "Maximized" just to see if the results improve.

I'm trying to remember (without calling up the appropriate dialog) how my own ISRT configuration fared. But I do recall right away my conclusion about it. I have the boot-system-software drive cached with a 64GB SSD (SATA-III), and another SATA-III drive (for DVR and other files) connected without any caching or ISRT. So obviously, my disk score would suffer for the second HDD.

One more thing. Did you say you used a 320GB SSD for the caching? I hope you're not giving it double-duty -- as both cache and partitioned SSD. I believe this is a bad idea, although people have tried it and post a procedure for it. As far as I know, the Z77 motherboards still only allow a 64GB SSD cache, and I don't think it would be different for socket-2011/X79. Correct me if I am wrong on this last point.
He is not using SRT. He is using asus SSD caching. Asus SSD caching obviously doesn't function as SRT does.

Also, SRT is only usable on Z68/Z77 chipsets. Unless something changed recently, It is not available for X79.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
torodhan

Maybe someone can answer what I asked?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
blackened23
Diamond Member

Quote:
Maybe someone can answer what I asked?

Dude, your question was answered 2 times. Your SSD disappears after you activate SSD caching, windows DOES NOT see it. So it will base the score on the platter HD. Even if the HD is cached, the data throughput from a first run-through does not improve. Only on subsequent reads does a cache help.

Notice that your ssd doesn't appear in windows explorer? or in admin tools - disk management? That's why. When you enable SSD caching your SSD is invisible to windows. Obviously WEI can't benchmark something that is invisble.

Last edited by blackened23; 12-27-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
torodhan

I repet: Can I just take out the old SSD drive and install a new one, will the SSD Caching be disabled then or can it damage anything. I dont want to use SSD Caching on my new SSD disk.

Last edited by torodhan; 12-27-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
blackened23
Diamond Member

Quote:
I repet: Can I just take out the old SSD drive and install a new one, will the SSD Caching be disabled then or can it damage anything. I dont want to use SSD Caching on my new SSD disk.
You have to go in the asus SSD caching app, and disable it. It will take 4-5 minutes to complete IIRC. As long as you do this prior to switching things out, you will be fine - it won't affect any data on your HDD.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
torodhan

Please read what I wrote before answering. I cant go into SSD Caching to disable it, Thats why I asked if can can remove the SSD disk and put a new one in. Will the SSD Caching be disabled when I remove the SSD disk ?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
fixbsod

If the SSD is big enough you should use it as the boot / windows drive and not for caching. SSD caching is typically for smaller SSDs.

Also WEI doesn't mean much. I have a 2TB WD SATA 6 boot HDD and later added an intel 313 20 GB SSD as a cache drive using SRT. Boot times and other items improved noticably, WEI didn't change at all.
fixbsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
TakeNoPrisoners
Platinum Member

Cache drives are not really commonly used as SSDs are cheap enough you can just get one big enough for all programs. Therefore WEI doesn't care if you have a cache drive as those users are a minority. They just go off of the hard drive Windows is installed on.
i7 3770k at 4.4Ghz | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | 16GB DDR3 at 2000Mhz | Dual MSI Gaming R9 290 4GB Crossfire | 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD | 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 | Corsair TX850M | CM HAF 932 | 3 x Acer 21.5" 1080p IPS Eyefinity | Windows 8.1 64bit
TakeNoPrisoners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
blackened23
Diamond Member

Quote:
Please read what I wrote before answering. I cant go into SSD Caching to disable it, Thats why I asked if can can remove the SSD disk and put a new one in. Will the SSD Caching be disabled when I remove the SSD disk ?
First, apologies for misunderstanding. Honestly on this question i'm not sure. I wish I could be more helpful on this particular question, but this one may be better suited to an asus tech. I think an asus USA (jose?) employee posts over at hardocp - might be worth a shot. Every time i've attempted to call asus over the phone, they barely speak english.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
BonzaiDuck
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened23 View Post
He is not using SRT. He is using asus SSD caching. Asus SSD caching obviously doesn't function as SRT does.

Also, SRT is only usable on Z68/Z77 chipsets. Unless something changed recently, It is not available for X79.
My mistake. Somehow I'd assumed that skt-2011 would have provided that Intel feature. I stand corrected.
BonzaiDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asus, caching, p9x79, ssd