How heavy are your speakers?
Aharami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #327
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aharami View Post
How heavy are your speakers?
subs are like 160lbs each, the LCR are like 115lbs a piece.

the LR you see in the pics i've shown (my current jbl's) are probably like 50 or 60lbs.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #328
Anubis
No Lifer

just make a box out of some 2x4s, will cost you pennies. just cover it in black grill cloth.
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #329
Number1
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
just purchased these 3 speakers:

http://i.imgur.com/PWKhv.jpg

he said he's going to be able to ship them out today so i'm really hoping he can get them out today. they are coming from chicago and fedex gave him a time of 3 days to get to me, which would be middle of next week hopefully.

so excited!
I must have missed the post where you told us what brand and model number your new speakers are, would you mind posting it again?
They look UGLY, ugly in an awesome, no WAF compromise type of way, bad ass, BAD ASS.
I am curious to look up the specs.
Youll probably need ear protection if you dare crank them up a bit.
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Number1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #330
vi edit
Super Moderator

They are JTR triple twelves.
Http://Www.jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/triple-12ht/

Godly amounts of output.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #331
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1 View Post
I must have missed the post where you told us what brand and model number your new speakers are, would you mind posting it again?
They look UGLY, ugly in an awesome, no WAF compromise type of way, bad ass, BAD ASS.
I am curious to look up the specs.
Youll probably need ear protection if you dare crank them up a bit.
vi edit posted a link to the speakers, those are the correct ones.

and yes i agree they are pretty ugly speakers, but as you stated, in a badass in your face way. as i've done my search i've become more and more attracted to the aggressive looking speakers such as these.

no way in hell i would put these in a living room or anything ever, but in a dedicated area i think they look ridiculously awesome, in a way that says "TURN ME UP BITCH!!"

last night the wife and i watched finding nemo in 3d, the full movie all the way through, down there. and i have to say it was FUCKING AWESOME. and i'm using only my 2.0 setup right now with my old speakers.

also recently started hearing some rattling the past couple weeks in one of my speakers when certain lows were hit, and i took the grill off yesterday and noticed that one of the woofers had a dent in the center portion, as well as it being no 100% sealed with gaps in the edes. so i fucked around with it and the middle portion of the woofer popped off. sucks because i wanted to keep those for the living room. this happened after i was finished with everything so i didn't get to hear it after being messed up.

i also burnt the "visual" disc here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391873/re...-dl-media-bd50

has some cool scenes and avatar looks insane. can't wait to rewatch the full movie. was also thinking how i can't wait to watch jurassic park on this when it's all said and done.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #332
Anubis
No Lifer

The "Scuba Steve" demo disk is also a great one if you can find it. its a 50GB torrent
Old 12-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #333
purbeast0
Lifer

merry christmas to me!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/FMBZh.jpg

as with the caps, cannot believe how large these speakers are lol. probably will need help to get them in my basement.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #334
vi edit
Super Moderator

Careful kid...you'll blow your ears out.

You've got some serious artillery for sound in your basement. Hope your neighbors have the same taste in movies.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #335
Anubis
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi edit View Post

You've got some serious artillery for sound in your basement. Hope your neighbors have the same taste in movies.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #336
Anubis
No Lifer

Glad they got there for you as soon as they did, id definitly get someone to help you move them.

Pretty soon you are gonna be hosting your own G2Gs
Old 12-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #337
Howard
Lifer

What coax is that?

Kitchen stuff
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #338
Number1
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi edit View Post

I checked the specs, 1600W power handling capability.........

My Denon receiver puts out 90W per channels,
My subs combined put out 750W
Check sig for details.
After a weekend of playing loud music, it took a few weeks for my hearing to get back to normal.

You'd better be careful purebeast0. Seriously.
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Number1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #339
purbeast0
Lifer

sssooo i just brought them downstairs and got 2 of them setup since i only have 2 wires currently running.

i took some pics here:

http://i.imgur.com/3mf2H.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iJVDd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rfZ5V.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cCaRN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RcWN1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/m4SHJ.jpg

i brought down my old center channel speaker too so you can see how puny it is compared to the new one haha. i have one pic that also shows the old speakers next to the new ones in general just for size comparison.

so like i said, i only have the LR hooked up since that is all i have wired right now. on top of that it is with my old yamaha receiver not my denon 4311ci.

i was testing it out with some mp3 music on my phone as well as the reference series "bass" demo disc.

well my first impression is that these speakers are retarded and that i think this is going to be complete overkill for me lol. but at the same time, i could not BELIEVE how crisp and clear they were.

i had initially heard that these speakers don't have much bass because they are meant to be paired with a sub. well i was expecting much less bass than they had based off that comment, and i was really surprised how the bass was even without a sub. granted, a sub will be awesome, but these are on par with my current jbl speakers as far as bass goes, and actually surpass them so it was fine for me for time being.

now my second impression other than this being retardedly loud and crisp is the freaking front sound stage. like i said, it is only running 2 speakers right now from the receiver. just watching 3 scenes from avatar, u571, and terminator savlation, i kept thinking to myself 'wtf do i need 3 other speakers for?' lol so i can't believe how just these 2 speakers sounded.

oh and to make matters "worse" ... i was watching scenes that were pretty much borderline what my ears could take, and i'd probably turn it down a notch if i was actually watching a full movie. so i went to my receiver to see the volume it was set to and it was at -29.5db. and this is with my old receiver that is totally uncalibrated or anything.

i listened to only 2 tracks of music from LMFAO just their 2 popular songs and i was already hearing parts of the song i had never heard before, within the first 10 seconds. i don't know if it is that i was just paying attention more to it or what, but initially i was like wtf just because i thought i heard some stuff i've never heard before.

unfortunately i won't be able to get all my in-wall wiring done this weekend but next weekend my buddy is going to come over and help me, i was talking to him yesterday about it. i'm hoping to at least have a 3.2 setup though for my new years party and just have all the receiver and stuff up around the front. would be nice just to play music.

but damn i can already tell from the 10 minutes listening to these that this it the "movie theater" quality i wanted in my basement. and yes, i'm pretty sure it is total overkill lol. but hey it's better to be over qualified than under!

EDIT:

also gotta say once i unboxed them it was easy for me to lift them and move them around. but in the box they were awkard and too big. my wife helped me get the boxes to the stop of the stairs then i slid them down and unboxed em myself.

Last edited by purbeast0; 12-24-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #340
purbeast0
Lifer

and now my order from monoprice just came UPS so i'm probably going to be hooking up my stuff during this week

MERRY XMAS TO ME!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #341
Anubis
No Lifer

hehe glad you like them, they are really high sensitivity so they get loud without a ton of power, after you run audyssey it should bring the levels down a bit. When i first heard them the thing that struck me was the clarity, its pretty insane how clear and detailed they sound at silly volumes.

and you basically have a movie theater in your basement, the SQ you are about to have will best many theaters.

Really glad you like them, would have sucked if you ended up hating them after i kept telling you to just buy them.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #342
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
hehe glad you like them, they are really high sensitivity so they get loud without a ton of power, after you run audyssey it should bring the levels down a bit. When i first heard them the thing that struck me was the clarity, its pretty insane how clear and detailed they sound at silly volumes.

and you basically have a movie theater in your basement, the SQ you are about to have will best many theaters.

Really glad you like them, would have sucked if you ended up hating them after i kept telling you to just buy them.
haha yea dude so far i definintely like them. it's killing me right now that i have all my wires and have all the tools to hook up everything, but that i have to go to the inlaws in an hour or so, and then tomorrow is all family obligations heh.

these speakers in general also sound much "brighter" than my JBL ones do, almost similar to the klipsch rf7's of austin's i heard. they aren't quite that bright and high, but they are closer to those than my current jbl speakers. the clarity on them is definitely incredible though compared to both the rf7 and my jbl's.

i'm also not 100% sure what to do about "temporary" solution because i don't want to start cutting speaker wires for my temp setup, then not have enough for the in wall runs haha. but i may just cut wires right now that run from basically the top of the center channel, to all of the speakres, since i plan to have a wall plate right behind the center channel that runs to the front speakers there.

is it safe to keep a receiver, amp, and/or ps3 on top of one of those speakers? i'd think the magnets can't be good for the electronics in them.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #343
Anubis
No Lifer

i wouldn't place anything on them for long but i doubt you would hurt anything temporally if ever, if actually be more worried about it falling off
Old 12-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #344
Soccerman06
Diamond Member

I wouldnt put anything on anything with a woofer. It may not seem possible, but they do vibrate a little and things will slowly fall off them, but anything with a disc reader may skip or damage the disc with enough physical vibrations. Honestly I would just put it on the floor in the general area and call it. You could hide the wiring behind crown molding, or use something like http://www.cableorganizer.com/cable-...c-raceway.html instead of going through the wall, save yourself some effort.
Steam: soccerman05
Soccerman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #345
Aharami
Lifer

That looks sick!!
Aharami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #346
purbeast0
Lifer

holy holy holy shit balls i got those 5 speakers hooked up tonight...

after fixing my noobness of configurations and getting the subs to work, all i can say is WWOOWW. sounds like a movie theater or better in my basement.

the only problem is that i think i already want to upgrade the amp for my subs because i was clipping it at listening volumes in movies that i like to watch as far as the bass level, and when it clips it gets distorted a bit. so i'll probably keep the bass down a bit lower so that it won't clip regularly - until i get a new amp down the road lol.

but wow this shit is crazy.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #347
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
holy holy holy shit balls i got those 5 speakers hooked up tonight...

after fixing my noobness of configurations and getting the subs to work, all i can say is WWOOWW. sounds like a movie theater or better in my basement.

the only problem is that i think i already want to upgrade the amp for my subs because i was clipping it at listening volumes in movies that i like to watch as far as the bass level, and when it clips it gets distorted a bit. so i'll probably keep the bass down a bit lower so that it won't clip regularly - until i get a new amp down the road lol.

but wow this shit is crazy.
definitely keep the subs safe til you upgrade your amp. Clipping is bad for speakers.

It should sound better than a movie theatre.
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #348
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
definitely keep the subs safe til you upgrade your amp. Clipping is bad for speakers.

It should sound better than a movie theatre.
yea there are some dipswitch settings apparently on my amp i was not aware of that i need to turn on that are for clipping. definitely doing some adjustments this evening as well.

need my surrounds ASAP.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #349
Ophir
Golden Member

Quote:
yea there are some dipswitch settings apparently on my amp i was not aware of that i need to turn on that are for clipping. definitely doing some adjustments this evening as well.

need my surrounds ASAP.
Did you seriously clip an EP4000? I run mine with a modded quiet fan (lower flow rate) at shake the house volumes with dual sealed 18s (bridged mono 4ohm - two 8ohm drivers in parallel) and it never even gets warm. I can't even imagine high efficiency ported 18s at substantially higher power levels.

How do you have them wired? Keep in mind the EP4000 will NOT do 2ohm bridged mono and is preferred not to run 8ohm stereo. 2ohm stereo or 4ohm bridged mono is the way to go.

FYI, the general consensus is the EP4000 clip limiter kills SQ and should be left off and protect though HPF and non-insane volumes.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #350
Ophir
Golden Member

Also, play the War of the Worlds and Flight of the Phoenix tracks on the Bass Demo Disc. It seriously feels like the house will be ripped apart.