· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #26
fenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durvelle27 View Post
Have you tried different drivers as i have no problem with this game and DX11
I have tried several different drivers that were available from NVIDIA or ASUS over the past month.

In light of toyota's comment on directx 11 never being fully fixed, I think I will just turn off all dx 11 and turn everything else on and finish the game and hopefully never have to worry about it again.

(and hopefully will never have to update the vbios again, although not being able to update the vbios appears to be a separate issue that nobody seems concerned about).

I guess I'll keep it. Thanks everyone!
fenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #27
fenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota View Post
I just ran the bench on my gtx660 ti and 310.70 drivers and the lowest it dropped to was 59 fps. this was DX11 extreme settings, FXAA low, and no physx.

min 59
max 149
average 117
My 660 Ti (ASUS OC Edition) w 310.70 drivers, DX11 extreme, FXAA low, no PhysX:
min 1
max 180
avg 93

Somewhat different. I will just disable DX11, but it's a little sad that it's obviously much worse than at least some other 660 Ti's.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #28
3DVagabond
Diamond Member

What is the point of running it on an nVidia card and shutting off PhysX?
3DVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #29
toyota
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DVagabond View Post
What is the point of running it on an nVidia card and shutting off PhysX?
not everyone cares about those effects. they can slow down the frame rate and cause a little stuttering. plus I have noticed in both Batman games that when you walk into a new area some things dont always react properly on high physx. by that I mean you can watch physx impacted objects fall to the ground but but some will just float a little bit. and that has happened for years across various drivers and video cards so no its not my particular setup. imo hardware physx is still unoptimized garbage in many respects.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #30
Termie
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenry View Post
min 1
max 180
avg 93

Somewhat different. I will just disable DX11, but it's a little sad that it's obviously much worse than at least some other 660 Ti's.
There's something else wrong with your system. It's not your GTX660Ti.

Run MSI Afterburner in the background while watching the demo windowed, and try to determine when in the demo this occurred. I'm almost certain it's during transitions between scenes.

By the way, I'll just hazard a guess that running your OS off an incredibly slow 74GB raptor might be the problem, if it's loading OS assets during the demo.

Quote:
not everyone cares about those effects. they can slow down the frame rate and cause a little stuttering. plus I have noticed in both Batman games that when you walk into a new area some things dont always react properly on high physx. by that I mean you can watch physx impacted objects fall to the ground but but some will just float a little bit. and that has happened for years across various drivers and video cards so no its not my particular setup. imo hardware physx is still unoptimized garbage in many respects.
Just run it on PhysX low. Having switched from a GTX460 to an HD7870 on my Batman:AC system, I can say that I miss the effects, because PhysX is used for a lot, including mist and piles of dirt on the ground.
Looking for holiday tech gifts? Check out The 2014 Holiday Buyer's Guide at The Tech Buyer's Guru!
Looking for Black Friday Deals? See TBG's Hot Deals Blog!
Termie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #31
toyota
Lifer

Quote:
min 1
max 180
avg 93

btw I have a 150 fps cap on all my games so thats why your max is higher. even with my cap though, I still got much higher average than you which is odd. my gpu is oced from factory but only by 25mhz.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #32
Durvelle27
Banned

Quote:
btw I have a 150 fps cap on all my games so thats why your max is higher. even with my cap though, I still got much higher average than you which is odd. my gpu is oced from factory but only by 25mhz.
Mines

MIN~ 58
MAX~132
AVG~98

FXAA MED NO Phyx
Durvelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #33
blackened23
Diamond Member

The stutters are normal in DX11 mode in Batman: AC - it happens even with high end cards, I get it with 680 sli. It happens when you pan the camera very quickly with the mouse in city areas, especially at the top of buildings and what not - the problem is mostly with physx. If you disable physx it shouldn't be a big issue. Or you can revert to DX9 which is completely smooth.

So to summarize:

Its a programming/port issue.

First course of action is disabling physx (which makes it much worse) or putting it on low. DO NOT PUT PHYSX ON HIGH, it will cause stuttering when you pan the camera.

Second course of action if that isn't acceptable is to revert to DX9.

Last edited by blackened23; 12-23-2012 at 08:45 PM.
blackened23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #34
toyota
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durvelle27 View Post
Mines

MIN~ 58
MAX~132
AVG~98

FXAA MED NO Phyx
maybe I am blind but I dont even see a gpu listed in your sig...

and I reran it without the cap and I still did not go over 150 so i cant figure out how he did. and this time my minimum was 22fps though. really the game is a inconsistent unoptimized pos. it took me 4 freaking attempts just to get the damn game to launch. it will sometimes go to a blank screen and then half the time, the live marketplace will crash even if i get the game to launch.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #35
Durvelle27
Banned

Quote:

and I reran it without the cap and I still did not go over 150 so i cant figure out how he did. and this time my minimum was 22fps though. really the game is a inconsistent unoptimized pos. it took me 4 freaking attempts just to get the damn game to launch. it will sometimes go to a blank screen and then half the time, the live marketplace will crash even if i get the game to launch.
yea ik. this is one of my old test i ran with a

FX 4100 @4.6GHz and a Sapphire HD 6950 oc'd @900/1400
Durvelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #36
Termie
Diamond Member

Quote:

I had that failure to launch issue until I created a separate user account on my system to play Batman. It was infuriating for a while until I tried that as a last ditch effort.
Looking for holiday tech gifts? Check out The 2014 Holiday Buyer's Guide at The Tech Buyer's Guru!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #37
blackened23
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termie View Post
I had that failure to launch issue until I created a separate user account on my system to play Batman. It was infuriating for a while until I tried that as a last ditch effort.
This is why GFWL is garbage. I can't tell you how many times i've had issues with it, luckily Batman: AC has been fine. With GTA IV I was in the endless hell of GFWL asking to update my software, then it crashes, then GFWL crashes, over and over and over. Then GFWL wants to update in the middle of a game and reboots without prompting me, etc etc. Same with bioshock 2. I hate GFWL with a passion. Most of the time, I feel like i'm being trolled by GFWL, i've had the worst experiences with it; Worst DRM in existence by far.

I've had the most luck by uninstalling everything related to games for windows live -except- the GFWL redistributable -- if I have anything else related to GFWL installed in control panel it has issues.

Fortunately most devs are moving away from GFWL and using steamworks. If there's another Batman PC game I hope it isn't GFWL. MS has utterly failed gamers with their POS DRM and in the 3-4 years of use, never managed to fix it.

Last edited by blackened23; 12-23-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #38
fenry

Quote:

...By the way, I'll just hazard a guess that running your OS off an incredibly slow 74GB raptor might be the problem, if it's loading OS assets during the demo.
My system is Win7 booting off the Samsung830. I just connected the Raptor to put Win8 on as dual boot, mainly to try to update the vbios on a completely clean and significantly Difft configuration, since I couldn't update it under Win7. (It didn't work, so I had to put it in d Difft machine to update, see original post)
Old 12-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #39
Termie
Diamond Member

Quote:
My system is Win7 booting off the Samsung830. I just connected the Raptor to put Win8 on as dual boot, mainly to try to update the vbios on a completely clean and significantly Difft configuration, since I couldn't update it under Win7. (It didn't work, so I had to put it in d Difft machine to update, see original post)
Hmm, ok. Well, how does the game actually play? In other words, not the benchmark, which has clear drops between scenes?

It's known that DX11 has stutters, but 0fps is not what you should be getting as a minimum - and I don't think it's a 660Ti problem. Run Afterburner like I've suggested and then report back.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #40
cmdrdredd
Lifer

The benchmark is a little inaccurate for minimums. I get super low minimums because it starts reading before the scene is fully loaded and there's low fps at that point in time I think. It's compounded with physx enabled but it is never an issue during gameplay.

In short, do not rely on the benchmark to tell you how the game should be expected to run, it will play at least twice as well as the benchmark runs.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 12-24-2012 at 04:31 PM.
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #41
3DVagabond
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
The benchmark is a little inaccurate for minimums. I get super low minimums because it starts reading before the scene is fully loaded and there's low fps at that point in time I think. It's compounded with physx enabled but it is never an issue during gameplay.

In short, do not rely on the benchmark to tell you how the game should be expected to run, it will play at least twice as well as the benchmark runs.
I think his concern is his minimums are lower than others running the benchmark and does it mean he has an issue with his card, or something else. If everyone's minimums were the same he wouldn't be concerned.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #42
fenry

Quote:

Run MSI Afterburner in the background while watching the demo windowed, and try to determine when in the demo this occurred. I'm almost certain it's during transitions between scenes.
I ran w/Afterburner. Tough to figure out exactly what's going on. I had it log at 100 ms (fasted update allowed), and when the min fps dipped in the display on the Batman AC benchmark, sometimes it dipped to an even lower fps on MSI's display (simulataneously).

The weirdest thing is that after the benchmark ended and it went back to the "idle" screen w/batman in dramatic "moving stills", the power, GPU temp, and GPU% all went way up. Near the end of the demo, it was hovering around 79%, but then as soon as the demo ended, GPU% went up above 100% and stayed there. Temperature increased to 71 C or so, fans seemed to go a little faster (by sound, I didn't look at the display). I guess my takeaway is that letting the idle screen sit there is harder on the graphics card than playing the game, and I probably shouldn't let it sit there for hours. Even when I minimized the window, the power stayed high.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #43
fenry

Quote:
Hmm, ok. Well, how does the game actually play? In other words, not the benchmark, which has clear drops between scenes?

It's known that DX11 has stutters, but 0fps is not what you should be getting as a minimum - and I don't think it's a 660Ti problem. Run Afterburner like I've suggested and then report back.
I won't play it anymore with any DX11. The game plays smoothly at 1920x1200 if DX11 is off, even with NVIDIA 32x CSAA or 8X MSAA, Details Very High, PhysX High. With any DX11 features on, there is a lot of stuttering, especially when flying.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #44
blackened23
Diamond Member

Quote:
I won't play it anymore with any DX11. The game plays smoothly at 1920x1200 if DX11 is off, even with NVIDIA 32x CSAA or 8X MSAA, Details Very High, PhysX High. With any DX11 features on, there is a lot of stuttering, especially when flying.
I think your issue is going into the game blindly setting everything to the maximum possible setting. You can't do that in DX11 especially on a 660, and physx definitely adds stuttering to the game if you set it on high while in dx11 mode. It is mostly noticeable while you're outside in the city itself, on top of buildings, and when you pan the camera with the mouse.

I don't use physx high on my system.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #45
blackened23
Diamond Member

Quote:

Have you played through the game from start to finish? Physx definitely causes stuttering in game when you pan the camera in city areas. Its a strange behaviour, it usually happens like its "caching" something and then it suddenly stops after several seconds. But, when I grapple to another building in a different section of the city it happens again. And then goes away. I run the game on a SSD so its not that, although, I am not at 1080p.

I just feel like the game isn't the best console port, although it is adequate. The game definitely looks nice but could have been optimized in DX11 more.

Last edited by blackened23; 12-24-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #46
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened23 View Post
Have you played through the game from start to finish? Physx definitely causes stuttering in game when you pan the camera in city areas. Its a strange behaviour, it usually happens like its "caching" something and then it suddenly stops after several seconds. But, when I grapple to another building in a different section of the city it happens again. And then goes away. I run the game on a SSD so its not that, although, I am not at 1080p.

I just feel like the game isn't the best console port, although it is adequate. The game definitely looks nice but could have been optimized in DX11 more.
Yes and no stuttering at all. Absolutely none. Although I am on sli and turn sync off so I have no idea what effect that has.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 12-24-2012 at 08:08 PM.
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #47
toyota
Lifer

Quote:
Yes and no stuttering at all. Absolutely none. Although I am on sli and turn sync off so I have no idea what effect that has.
sorry but no matter what you claim, you did not play through this game 100% stutter free. I can put the game on 800x600 and still get the occasional stutter so it has little to do with how much hardware where you throw at it. its pretty well known to be some type of caching issue as blackened23 mentioned.

Last edited by toyota; 12-24-2012 at 08:34 PM.
toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #48
fenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened23 View Post
I think your issue is going into the game blindly setting everything to the maximum possible setting. You can't do that in DX11 especially on a 660, and physx definitely adds stuttering to the game if you set it on high while in dx11 mode. It is mostly noticeable while you're outside in the city itself, on top of buildings, and when you pan the camera with the mouse.

I don't use physx high on my system.
No no no! I was testing dx11 off w everything else maxed out. I don't play that way. I also tested w dx11 on (various dx11 settings) and AA, physx completely off and details on lowest setting. Any time dx11 is on (everything else off) stuttering is bad. With dx11 off and everything else maxed, it's quite playable. DX11 is what ruins things. Physx definitely lowers fps, but it is not the disaster that DX11 is.

Last edited by fenry; 12-24-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #49
3DVagabond
Diamond Member

Quote:
Has it always run this way? Or is it something that somewhere along the way a driver caused?

Is this the same if a Fermi card is used? Or, is it something that has occurred since Kepler?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #50
toyota
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DVagabond View Post
Has it always run this way? Or is it something that somewhere along the way a driver caused?

Is this the same if a Fermi card is used? Or, is it something that has occurred since Kepler?
it happens on all cards. I have used gtx560 se, gtx570, gtx670 and gtx660ti and it makes no difference. from day 1 the game has had issues but DX9 and low or no physx will run good most of the time with only occasional hitches usually when flying around.