· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #26
RedRooster
Diamond Member

My ping, if they ever got online games to work with phones, would be horrendous. I'm not paying to get slaughtered by grandmothers with iPhones.
RedRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senttoschool View Post
You are correct that people expect 99 cent apps on iOS and Android. But that's nothing a good marketing campaign can't fix. It's not really a big issue.

People will pay for better games. Like I said, console owners that pay $60 for a game on the consoles will be happy to pay for a game that's 80% in quality for $20. And knowing console gamers, they will pay $50 for a port of Final Fantasy 7.

Yes, phones can cost $500-$600 unsubsidized - what's the problem here? People have to buy phones. They will buy it whether or not it has console capabilities. The console element is just bonus.

You will obviously have to charge the phone while you play so battery doesn't die in an hour. Not really an issue.
1) It is a trap is believing that marketing will fix any issue...
2) I know you honestly don't believe people would pay $50 for a port of Final Fantasy VII. I will chalk that up to gross hyperbole.
3) My point about charging is that when you push the phone to it's limit, it will drain faster than even a wall charger can charge it, and at the same time, you are wearing out the battery.

I also find it funny you think that a game that has 80% of the quality of a console game should cost 2/3rds less. What developer would willingly want to make that bargain? Developers are incentivised to keep prices as high as possible, and when I still meet people who won't even pay 99 cents for an app, I think your quest is foolhardy.

Could it work? Sure. Is anyone actually going to put their money on the line to test this theory? No.

Last edited by dagamer34; 12-24-2012 at 12:50 PM.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #28
Red Storm
Lifer

They could easily take over the console market. All they need to do is release an official controller. Yearly hardware updates in mobile devices allow them to progress compared to traditional consoles which are stuck on the same hardware for their entire lifetime.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #29
Eug
Lifer

Interestingly, my friends who had the Wii, 360, and PS3, are not very interested in the latest generation.

I have an Xbox 360 and the game I play the most is Angry Birds on my iPad and Nexus 7.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
iOS: iPad 2 | iPhone 5s
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Android: Nexus 7 (2012)
Eug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #30
grkM3
Golden Member

I have my wireless ps3 controller working with my gs3 and I play n64 games with an emulator to my TV over HDMI.
8GB Gskill 2200 7-10-7-1t
Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
2 GTX 560TI in SLI
grkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #31
zerocool84
Lifer

Touch controls suck plain and simple. Trying to play anything other than the most basic game really sucks.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #32
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Hence, why you connect it with a controller and turn it into a console. Developers will develop with the controller in mind.
Like I said theres a ton of emulator games you can already do this with.

All the stuff you talk about, connecting a phone to the TV with a controller attached can already be done, its just that people would rather use the small screen on their device and stay portable.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #33
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
Touch controls suck plain and simple. Trying to play anything other than the most basic game really sucks.
Bastion is proof that touch controls can be done well, and it's the type of game that's traditionally played with a controller or KB/M. Angry birds, Infinity Blade and their equivalents are obviously simple games made for simple controls, but games like Bastion are more like a traditional "real" game and I honestly do hope we see more of them for mobile devices.

All we need is that official controller. My uncle just got his Note 2 and with one simple HDMI adapter he now has a pocket sized HTPC. Mobile devices are increasingly replacing dedicated hardware that served niche purposes.

Last edited by Red Storm; 12-24-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Red Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #34
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Interestingly, my friends who had the Wii, 360, and PS3, are not very interested in the latest generation.

I have an Xbox 360 and the game I play the most is Angry Birds on my iPad and Nexus 7.
They aren't interested in consoles that are 6-7 years old? Shocker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
They could easily take over the console market. All they need to do is release an official controller. Yearly hardware updates in mobile devices allow them to progress compared to traditional consoles which are stuck on the same hardware for their entire lifetime.
Yearly hardware updates turn a smartphone into a PC, not a game console. The idea of a game console is that the hardware you buy today or 4 years from now is the same, such that developers only have to bother optimizing for one set of hardware, allowing you to 100% guarantee compatibility with any game certified for the system. What you are suggesting is simply the Android free-for-all with better graphics and a controller, however, developers will have to deal with the same headaches of the game working on ABC configuration, but not XYZ configuration.

I should also state that the actual market that actually cares about graphical performance is small compared to the general population, is never going to consider smartphone gaming "real gaming", and would almost certainly already have a gaming PC. And no one is going to be silly enough to buy a game twice on multiple platforms.

And I'm sorry, I call BS whenever someone says XYZ will easily takeover the console market. It's survived for over 25 years. Sure, other things will compete with time, but not in function. I will bet you more people rent movies on an Apple TV than they do on their iPhones and that AirPlay is far more often using for streaming video shot on an iPhone than any full-length feature films. It's an over complication of a problem that's already been solved.

Last edited by dagamer34; 12-24-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #35
Red Storm
Lifer

I was talking about the iPad actually, not Android. The iPad has yearly hardware updates. It is not at all similar to PCs that are custom built and have interchangeable and user upgradeable parts.

Point is that it's an exploding market, one that's already killing hand held gaming consoles, and can easily begin to eat into the traditional consoles with just a little nudge from Apple (an official controller). Until we get that controller, there is not as much incentive to develop more complex games for tablets. To me there's almost no downside for Apple. Worst case they released a controller that didn't catch on. Best case, they become the most popular gaming system, both mobile and at home.

Last edited by Red Storm; 12-24-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Red Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #36
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
I was talking about the iPad actually, not Android. The iPad has yearly hardware updates. It is not at all similar to PCs that are custom built and have interchangeable and user upgradeable parts.

Point is that it's an exploding market, one that's already killing hand held gaming consoles, and can easily begin to eat into the traditional consoles with just a little nudge from Apple (an official controller). Until we get that controller, there is not as much incentive to develop more complex games for tablets.
What evidence is there that smartphones are killing the handheld gaming industry? The Nintendo 3DS is selling quite well last time I checked, and the Vita is tanking because it lacks games, not because smartphones exist. Don't confuse the poor sales of the Vita as evidence that smartphones are killing it (correlation does not prove causation).

And even with the yearly updates of iPhones and iPads, almost all games run on extremely old hardware like the iPhone 3GS and original iPad, so upgrading the hardware yearly is little incentive for developers to actually take advantage of it. Angry Birds wouldn't sell more copies because if it had 3D flashy graphics.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #37
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
They aren't interested in consoles that are 6-7 years old? Shocker!
They aren't champing at the bit to get new consoles. eg. No Wii U purchase.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Old 12-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #38
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
What evidence is there that smartphones are killing the handheld gaming industry? The Nintendo 3DS is selling quite well last time I checked, and the Vita is tanking because it lacks games, not because smartphones exist. Don't confuse the poor sales of the Vita as evidence that smartphones are killing it (correlation does not prove causation).

And even with the yearly updates of iPhones and iPads, almost all games run on extremely old hardware like the iPhone 3GS and original iPad, so upgrading the hardware yearly is little incentive for developers to actually take advantage of it. Angry Birds wouldn't sell more copies because if it had 3D flashy graphics.
You're right, they are still selling well, however I don't think there's any doubt that without smartphones and tablets they would sell even better. Nintendo is a bit of an anomaly in the modern gaming world IMO. People buy Nintendo hardware because that's the only way to get the next Zelda or Mario. Without these 1st party franchises a lot less people would buy their systems IMO.

Again you're talking about Angry Birds. This is not about Angry birds and those types of simple games.

Open your eyes a bit and you'll see what I mean. There is potential for tablets to easily eat into the console market, but one of the essential ingredients needed first and foremost is an official controller.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #39
Eug
Lifer

Actually it is about Angry Birds, to a certain extent. My gaming habits have changed, partially because I only have a limited time with which to game.

I'd rather play Angry Birds for a short period than Call of Duty for the same period of time, despite the fact I paid roughly 50X as much for Call of Duty.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #40
senttoschool
Golden Member

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Vita#Sales

There is strong evidence that the Vita isn't selling because of smart phones in my opinion. Just look at tech websites - how many of them are talking about the Vita? None. How many of them are talking about iPhones and Android phones? All of them. The hype of a dedicated mobile gaming platform has dissipated and transferred over to smartphones. No body wants a new Vita for Christmas. Everybody wants a new iPhone or Android phone. IGN, a mostly gaming website, covers smartphones more than the Vita.

Perhaps there aren't any games on the Vita is because developers don't like the risk of backing a platform that was destined to fail in the post-iPhone 2G world?

Also check out the sales numbers between the 3DS and DS. The 3DS has sold about 20 millon units so far - a great number. But it will never ever reach 150 million units that the DS achieved. There's no way Nintendo will ever make a handheld that will top 100 million in sales again. In fact, I think the successor to the 3DS will be the last Nintendo handheld ever made.

Last edited by senttoschool; 12-24-2012 at 03:44 PM.
senttoschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #41
senttoschool
Golden Member

Quote:
1) It is a trap is believing that marketing will fix any issue...
2) I know you honestly don't believe people would pay $50 for a port of Final Fantasy VII. I will chalk that up to gross hyperbole.
3) My point about charging is that when you push the phone to it's limit, it will drain faster than even a wall charger can charge it, and at the same time, you are wearing out the battery.

I also find it funny you think that a game that has 80% of the quality of a console game should cost 2/3rds less. What developer would willingly want to make that bargain? Developers are incentivised to keep prices as high as possible, and when I still meet people who won't even pay 99 cents for an app, I think your quest is foolhardy.

Could it work? Sure. Is anyone actually going to put their money on the line to test this theory? No.
Well, Square is releasing games on Ouya, a start up with a similar concept. So is Namco and many other studios. You honestly don't think other developers aren't going to jump on board if Apple officially backs it up with a well designed controller, well designed system, and massive marketing? If there are enough developers backing up Ouya, a start up, how many will back up Apple/Google with native support?

I understand that you're skeptical but the evidence is right there. There are already people trying to do this (Ouya). It's only a matter of time until the smartphone will start replacing consoles.

Last edited by senttoschool; 12-24-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #42
Zodiark1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapsaicinkid View Post
Isn't cloud gaming just going to make that all redundant though?
I hope not.

And quite frankly, I don't think smartphones don't do all that hot for lengthy games. It's not the hardware power nor the controls I'm mentioning, but it is the battery life. Under full load, smartphones often die quickly, and considering I need my phone for day-to-day stuff, it makes much more sense to game on a separate device with it's own battery as opposed to draining the battery on a device I need.

Last edited by Zodiark1593; 12-24-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #43
Eug
Lifer

Just plug it in.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #44
senttoschool
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiark1593 View Post
I hope not.

And quite frankly, I don't think smartphones don't do all that hot for lengthy games. It's not the hardware power nor the controls I'm mentioning, but it is the battery life. Under full load, smartphones often die quickly, and considering I need my phone for day-to-day stuff, it makes much more sense to game on a separate device with it's own battery as opposed to draining the battery on a device I need.
If you are going to be gaming on it, you're going to plug it into the wall to charge it at the same time.

Imagine having 4 friends each with a controller playing a game together. Battery life is not going to hold up well at all. You'd definitely need to keep it charging while playing.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #45
NL5
Diamond Member

MOGA?
NL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #46
senttoschool
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL5 View Post
MOGA?
That's more of a niche product. It will not make a dent in the gaming world. It's a similar concept though but it's designed around the limitations of smartphones.

In this case, Apple/Google will design the phone to be fully compatible with console-like gaming.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #47
Zodiark1593

Quote:
If you are going to be gaming on it, you're going to plug it into the wall to charge it at the same time.

Imagine having 4 friends each with a controller playing a game together. Battery life is not going to hold up well at all. You'd definitely need to keep it charging while playing.
Well, home gaming is what my gaming PC is for.
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #48
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
Yeah, but... that's exactly what I think about console controls vs. KB/M.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #49
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Yeah, but... that's exactly what I think about console controls vs. KB/M.
KB+M are great for FPS but they pretty much suck for every thing else.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #50
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
That's more of a niche product. It will not make a dent in the gaming world. It's a similar concept though but it's designed around the limitations of smartphones.

In this case, Apple/Google will design the phone to be fully compatible with console-like gaming.
I have it and it only supports around 40 games and with the thousands that are available throughout the app stores, it's a small fraction. It's a cool idea but yes it will never gain much traction, especially with how much it costs. Luckily I only paid $5 for it.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote