Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Fayd
Diamond Member

Default small laptop users, what do you use for a case?

i'm a grad student, so i need something to hold:

my laptop (soon to be lenovo x230...12.5" laptop)
a binder (I use a 1-inch binder, and sort documents at home to limit how much papers i have)
maybe a book.
some pens and a calculator.

for the past semester i've been using a REALLY crappy messenger bag. I've gotten sick of it, i need to replace it. my main frustration with it is it has no rigidity. it is completely floppy. some flop is fine, but this is just a fabric bag. it has 2 exterior pockets, neither of which can close. it has an internal pocket where i keep pens/pencils, the zipper is now broken on. it has a single large internal compartment where documents, books, and the laptop (in a neoprene sleeve) are kept.

I don't want a backpack. what I want is another messenger, but one a little better built. so it needs a padded laptop pocket, somewhat appropriately sized to my laptop, along with an unpadded document pocket for carrying binders/books.

I wish i had gotten in when timbuk2 was having their sale. could have gotten a really good bag for ~$50.

and I don't want it to look like a laptop bag. so targus is pretty much right out.

anyone have any ideas?
You've had a busy day today.
Fayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
crab0

http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/macbo...-shoulder-bag/

Is what I use with my 13 inch MBA/iPad/misc school stuff. I really like how light it is and how its vertical not horizontal like most messenger bags. On the downside while its certainly way better then nothing it didn't protect my laptop from a few chips when it fell ~4-5 feet onto one of the corners of the bag (and hence corner of laptop which was naked). I wouldn't hover call it "floppy" at all (well the flap is when open but obviously xD).
crab0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Fayd
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crab0 View Post
http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/macbo...-shoulder-bag/

Is what I use with my 13 inch MBA/iPad/misc school stuff. I really like how light it is and how its vertical not horizontal like most messenger bags. On the downside while its certainly way better then nothing it didn't protect my laptop from a few chips when it fell ~4-5 feet onto one of the corners of the bag (and hence corner of laptop which was naked). I wouldn't hover call it "floppy" at all (well the flap is when open but obviously xD).
yeah, see i'm looking for something that will have a padded laptop compartment, so that it can take a hit. i'm not going to let it fall 5 feet, but shit does happen and i don't want to break it.

I don't really like the vertical orientation of the bag though, it makes it look like a purse. i looked through some of their other bags.. the nomad was fine, except it didn't have a laptop compartment. it just gave you a laptop sleeve and expected you to use that. that's no different from what i have.

the other messenger bag they had didn't have enough space for non-laptop stuff. (books,binder,etc)
You've had a busy day today.
Fayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
lawlz

I just put a cheapo neoprene sleeve on my laptop and stuff it in my Jansport backpack for school. Easy, simple, and cheap.
lawlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
CombatChuk
Golden Member

I just bought that exact same laptop (x230) and I got a small Timbuk2 control case. Fits perfectly with the 9 cell battery I bought and has a sleeve for my iPad Mini and other accessories. I like it a lot.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
zerogear
Diamond Member

I have two timbuk2 bags, one just a messenger without laptop and one as a laptop cushioned. Both are sturdy and nice. One of them I've had since 2007 and it still looks new.