Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Consumer Electronics > Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
fuzzybabybunny
Moderator
Digital & Video Cameras
 
fuzzybabybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,259
Default Why don't all manufacturers just make pentaband phones?

I don't get it. The primary reason for me buying a Nexus is because it has the ability to be used worldwide. From a manufacturer standpoint wouldn't it make sense to make a pentaband phone so you can sell it, uh, worldwide? It would increase your possible market size greatly.

There's a Chinese phone called the Meizu MX2. It is absolutely beautiful and solidly built. All the specs easily trump anything from Samsung. I played with it yesterday and it's not that expensive either ($450 USD). The downside is that it hardly supports any frequencies. If it was pentaband I would toss my Nexus for the Meizu in the blink of an eye.

http://www.gsmarena.com/meizu_mx2-5142.php

2G Network GSM 900 / 1800
3G Network HSDPA 2100
__________________
I love everyone, and everyone includes you!

D300, 11-16mm f/2.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Fuzzy Photos!!

"Don't do it, you'll die FBB." - ViviTheMage
fuzzybabybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
ImDonly1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,135
Default

The Meizu MX (first one) was pentaband. Seems like they made the MX2 only have 2100Mhz to focus on Chinese sales only?
ImDonly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
fuzzybabybunny
Moderator
Digital & Video Cameras
 
fuzzybabybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDonly1 View Post
The Meizu MX (first one) was pentaband. Seems like they made the MX2 only have 2100Mhz to focus on Chinese sales only?
Perhaps. Maybe they want to avoid the pitfall of growing too fast? If they don't have a support structure in the US for their phones their reputation could be bungled before they even get off the ground from people who have issues but inadequate support. Or something.

It's a shame. It is an absolutely beautiful, elegant phone.
__________________
I love everyone, and everyone includes you!

D300, 11-16mm f/2.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Fuzzy Photos!!

"Don't do it, you'll die FBB." - ViviTheMage
fuzzybabybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Bateluer
Lifer
 
Bateluer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 26,589
Default

You think just because you build a phone you have the right to sell it on US carriers? Lolz. Thats not how it works.
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
fuzzybabybunny
Moderator
Digital & Video Cameras
 
fuzzybabybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
You think just because you build a phone you have the right to sell it on US carriers? Lolz. Thats not how it works.
I don't give a shit about US carriers. It's all the other carriers across the globe that you'll now be able to use since you have pentaband hardware. I'll buy it in China if I have to if it were pentaband.

I like your explanation of "that's not how it works" with "lulz." Since when did the advice on these forums turn to such shit?
__________________
I love everyone, and everyone includes you!

D300, 11-16mm f/2.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Fuzzy Photos!!

"Don't do it, you'll die FBB." - ViviTheMage
fuzzybabybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
GTaudiophile
Lifer
 
GTaudiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: €urophile
Posts: 29,331
Default

A main reason why I bought a GNEx.
__________________

GTaudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
grkM3
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,398
Default

I'd rather have a nexus 4 with quad s4 pro
__________________
Main rig
2600k@4.8 24/7 1.415 WC
ASUS P67 MIVE
8GB Gskill 2200 7-10-7-1t
Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
2 GTX 560TI in SLI
grkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
dagamer34
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,540
Default

There's no pressure to build a pentaband phone. The rest of the world isn't crazy enough to allow exclusive bands to just one carrier.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Dannar26
Senior Member
 
Dannar26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Greater Philadelphia, USA
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
There's no pressure to build a pentaband phone. The rest of the world isn't crazy enough to allow exclusive bands to just one carrier.
Exactly. It's a US carrier problem.
Dannar26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
corkyg
Moderator
Peripherals
 
corkyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 23,787
Default

It might also be useful to understand how worldwide frequencies are allocated and controlled. This is an easy read . . ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_allocation
__________________
CorkyG - Tucson, AZ

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
SilthDraeth
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,607
Default

Also, not sure how that phone trumps any of Samsung's. I just got a Note 2, and I don't see anywhere were the Meizu is superior.
__________________
AMD Fanboy
Heat
06/05/2007 01:27 PM Originally posted by: Vic
The more they stare in fear at the forest, the fewer trees they'll see.

SilthDraeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
PhoKingGuy
Diamond Member
 
PhoKingGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,570
Default

That thing looks 99% like an iphone 4s lolchina
__________________
AT Garage VW/BMW Fanclub Member


Official member of the Frat Boy Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudAshes View Post
You act like the government knows more than anyone else. Our government is full of retards that know nothing.
PhoKingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
DLeRium
Lifer
 
DLeRium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 19,363
Default

because no one gives a rats ass about tmobile and AWS frequencies?

i mean its unfortunate and all, but at least AT&T's 850/1900 is used in more places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
Perhaps. Maybe they want to avoid the pitfall of growing too fast? If they don't have a support structure in the US for their phones their reputation could be bungled before they even get off the ground from people who have issues but inadequate support. Or something.

It's a shame. It is an absolutely beautiful, elegant phone.
You realize that 2100 covers europe, asia, and practically everywhere NON US? Furthermore, unless they planned on partnering with the US carriers, even building pentaband unlocked means a TINYASS market in the US. Not worth it to them. Makes business sense to me. Really,the only way to penetrate the US market is to either have a wildly popular phone or to partner with the US carriers. The lackluster Nexus sales in the past has shown this. It takes razor thin margins and low prices to attract US consumers to unlocked phones.

Last edited by DLeRium; 12-22-2012 at 12:27 PM.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Bateluer
Lifer
 
Bateluer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 26,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
Since when did the advice on these forums turn to such shit?

You weren't sking for advice. You were ranting.
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
s44
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
You weren't sking for advice. You were ranting.
In a totally uninformed way, no less.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
fuzzybabybunny
Moderator
Digital & Video Cameras
 
fuzzybabybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
You weren't sking for advice. You were ranting.
You see the thread title? That's called a "question." I was asking a "question." And where in the actual OP did it seem like a rant other than the way you read it to yourself in your head using your little angry voice?
__________________
I love everyone, and everyone includes you!

D300, 11-16mm f/2.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Fuzzy Photos!!

"Don't do it, you'll die FBB." - ViviTheMage

Last edited by fuzzybabybunny; 12-22-2012 at 06:12 PM.
fuzzybabybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
fuzzybabybunny
Moderator
Digital & Video Cameras
 
fuzzybabybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeRium View Post
because no one gives a rats ass about tmobile and AWS frequencies?

i mean its unfortunate and all, but at least AT&T's 850/1900 is used in more places.



You realize that 2100 covers europe, asia, and practically everywhere NON US? Furthermore, unless they planned on partnering with the US carriers, even building pentaband unlocked means a TINYASS market in the US. Not worth it to them. Makes business sense to me. Really,the only way to penetrate the US market is to either have a wildly popular phone or to partner with the US carriers. The lackluster Nexus sales in the past has shown this. It takes razor thin margins and low prices to attract US consumers to unlocked phones.
I see that: http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

But as far as the GSM frequencies are concerned, only having 900 and 1800 also eliminates them from the entire continent of North America and most of South America. That's a big market.
__________________
I love everyone, and everyone includes you!

D300, 11-16mm f/2.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Fuzzy Photos!!

"Don't do it, you'll die FBB." - ViviTheMage
fuzzybabybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #18
fuzzybabybunny
Moderator
Digital & Video Cameras
 
fuzzybabybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilthDraeth View Post
Also, not sure how that phone trumps any of Samsung's. I just got a Note 2, and I don't see anywhere were the Meizu is superior.
I've played with all of them since China has just a better selection of phones than the US.

With specs being equivalent, the Meizu has much better build quality, better aesthetic design IMO, and a really really good price point compared to a GS3 or Note2.
__________________
I love everyone, and everyone includes you!

D300, 11-16mm f/2.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Fuzzy Photos!!

"Don't do it, you'll die FBB." - ViviTheMage
fuzzybabybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #19
DLeRium
Lifer
 
DLeRium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 19,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
I see that: http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

But as far as the GSM frequencies are concerned, only having 900 and 1800 also eliminates them from the entire continent of North America and most of South America. That's a big market.
Well thats why most phones are quad band. It covers everything but T-Mobile and WIND in Canada. Given that the US is the major market at stake by adding more frequencies besides 2100, that's really the main loss. I'm not so sure about the South America market and how they like unlocked phones, but in general given the US is almost impenetrable to unlocked phones, even adding quad and pentaband doesn't give the phone manufacturers that much more of a market.

The state of frequencies is sad though. I will probably be singing the same tune when LTE becomes a necessity and I'm wondering when we'll have a global phone that works with AT&T's or Verizon's stupid LTE bands.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
ImDonly1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,135
Default

I did some googling, the phone isn't released or was just barely released yet. There are no reviews. I did find some thread on the Meizu forums where they asked an engineer if the phone was pentaband and he said yes. Maybe it is pentaband, but they just didn't bother to list it/incorrectly listed it on their website?

http://forum.meizu.com/viewthread.php?tid=13922

Here is the engineer's post
http://bbs.meizu.cn/viewthread.php?t...thorid=2858010
and translated
http://translate.google.com/translat...orid%3D2858010

Last edited by ImDonly1; 12-22-2012 at 07:36 PM.
ImDonly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #21
fuzzybabybunny
Moderator
Digital & Video Cameras
 
fuzzybabybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeRium View Post
Well thats why most phones are quad band. It covers everything but T-Mobile and WIND in Canada. Given that the US is the major market at stake by adding more frequencies besides 2100, that's really the main loss. I'm not so sure about the South America market and how they like unlocked phones, but in general given the US is almost impenetrable to unlocked phones, even adding quad and pentaband doesn't give the phone manufacturers that much more of a market.

The state of frequencies is sad though. I will probably be singing the same tune when LTE becomes a necessity and I'm wondering when we'll have a global phone that works with AT&T's or Verizon's stupid LTE bands.
Interesting. So if I had an unlocked phone from another country I wouldn't be able to use it in the US? The carrier would refuse to let it be used? How do travelers do it with their foreign phones then? EDIT: nevermind, it's not officially released. My friend got it as a pre-order or something.





Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDonly1 View Post
I did some googling, the phone isn't released or was just barely released yet. There are no reviews. I did find some thread on the Meizu forums where they asked an engineer if the phone was pentaband and he said yes. Maybe it is pentaband, but they just didn't bother to list it/incorrectly listed it on their website?

http://forum.meizu.com/viewthread.php?tid=13922

Here is the engineer's post
http://bbs.meizu.cn/viewthread.php?t...thorid=2858010
and translated
http://translate.google.com/translat...orid%3D2858010
Gah. Well, it is released because I held it in my hand yesterday and someone had just bought it that week.

__________________
I love everyone, and everyone includes you!

D300, 11-16mm f/2.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Fuzzy Photos!!

"Don't do it, you'll die FBB." - ViviTheMage

Last edited by fuzzybabybunny; 12-22-2012 at 08:16 PM.
fuzzybabybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #22
Bateluer
Lifer
 
Bateluer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 26,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
You see the thread title? That's called a "question." I was asking a "question." And where in the actual OP did it seem like a rant other than the way you read it to yourself in your head using your little angry voice?
Forgive my mistype, 'sking' instead of 'asking'. Was in a hurry.

To your response, your entire post was complaining in a rant. You weren't seeking advice, simply complaining about the major device manufacturers.

You should know, however, that most Meizu phones are not well built. The cheap plastic they use is every cheaper and flimsier than what Samsung used in the GS1 models and their current sub-budget models. Every review from a reputable source mentions this. You get what you pay for.
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #23
fuzzybabybunny
Moderator
Digital & Video Cameras
 
fuzzybabybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
Forgive my mistype, 'sking' instead of 'asking'. Was in a hurry.

To your response, your entire post was complaining in a rant. You weren't seeking advice, simply complaining about the major device manufacturers.

You should know, however, that most Meizu phones are not well built. The cheap plastic they use is every cheaper and flimsier than what Samsung used in the GS1 models and their current sub-budget models. Every review from a reputable source mentions this. You get what you pay for.
Let me quote my original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
I don't get it. The primary reason for me buying a Nexus is because it has the ability to be used worldwide. From a manufacturer standpoint wouldn't it make sense to make a pentaband phone so you can sell it, uh, worldwide? It would increase your possible market size greatly.

There's a Chinese phone called the Meizu MX2. It is absolutely beautiful and solidly built. All the specs easily trump anything from Samsung. I played with it yesterday and it's not that expensive either ($450 USD). The downside is that it hardly supports any frequencies. If it was pentaband I would toss my Nexus for the Meizu in the blink of an eye.

http://www.gsmarena.com/meizu_mx2-5142.php

2G Network GSM 900 / 1800
3G Network HSDPA 2100
What words or phrases do you feel is a rant? The part where I say "I don't get it?"

I'm here. In China. I played with the Meizu again 5 minutes ago.

The construction quality is WAY better than my Nexus, than the GS3, GS2, Note, and feels solid. The plastic is not cheap by any means. Even has a metal ring around it. The weight is solid. The iPhone is still more solid though since it's completely glass and metal.

Although to be fair this is a recent development. Talking to the others here, Meizu *had* some cheap construction issues. The MX2 is their best one yet, and it shows. The original MX wasn't bad either, but the MX2 is better.
__________________
I love everyone, and everyone includes you!

D300, 11-16mm f/2.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Fuzzy Photos!!

"Don't do it, you'll die FBB." - ViviTheMage
fuzzybabybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #24
Infrnl
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,172
Default

Looks like apple has another company to sue. Looks exactly like an iphone to me but made in china. Everyone has their opinion, but I do not see this being any better than any other phone. Just buy it if you like it so much
__________________
FS
INFRNL's Heat
Infrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.