· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #51
lopri
Elite Member

Really, I can't imagine what kind of super iPad 1 the OP has.. My iPad can't go more than 30 minutes before crashing thanks to its paltry 256 MB RAM. Can't even hold two taps open in safari so it has to refresh every single page. Go more than 3 pages and mix in external links for pdf, youtube, etc. and you are almost always guaranteed to see crashes.

I don't use facebook or twitter, etc., so can't comment on that but as far as HBO Go and NYTimes, it's the same story. On iPad 1, you try anything other than straight forward viewing it crashes. Heck, it still crashes when done watching which I am thankful for. For NYTimes I don't know what's better in terms of design but again iPad suffers due to lack of memory.

It is one thing to compare later generation iPad to Nexus 7, but the original iPad? Come on. Should I shoot a side-by-side video comparison? If anyone did such a review there would be an uproar crying foul. (and I'd agree that's not a proper comparison)

iPad has better tablet optimized apps for now. Well, it has more apps for now, period. But original iPad is simply lacking in the hardware department no matter how gorgeously designed an app is. It's not the fault of the app or the OS, the hardware is simply outdated by today's standard. There is nothing wrong or right about it. But there is, when claiming that it's faster than Nexus 7..

iPad has a better speaker.. can't think of anything else. (n.b.: iPad 1!)

P.S. I notice an interesting trend now when an Apple product is compared to competition. If Apple's hardware is lacking or outdated, push the subject toward apps. If Apple's OS is under comparison for missing features or incompleteness, insist on hardware or its status as.. a "status symbol". Some folks, anyway.
lopri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #52
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

Add me to the list of "My N7 lasts multiple DAYS on a single charge" owners.

DirecTV just updated their Android app bringing it to parity with their iOS version too, so in a similar vein to the OP, blame your cable company, not the tablet OS vendor for crappy app support. It's their responsibility to maintain their apps, not your tablet's.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #53
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopri View Post
P.S. I notice an interesting trend now when an Apple product is compared to competition. If Apple's hardware is lacking or outdated, push the subject toward apps. If Apple's OS is under comparison for missing features or incompleteness, insist on hardware or its status as.. a "status symbol". Some folks, anyway.
Back when Android ~2.0 was choppy and crashing left and right, all I heard (when comparing with my iPhone 3G at the time) was "look at the size of my RAM, look at my CPU frequency!". Hardware specs do not make a product if the software is sub-par. Back then the argument was always pushed the topic to hardware and away from stability, battery life or apps.

So I challenge you to look at both sides. I would say when the subject is about apps, some people will push the topic away "I don't really use apps so it doesn't matter". Nerds like to push their platform as the "best and correct" decision and end up fighting too much. It's really silly and people get too emotional.
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #54
dguy6789
Diamond Member

The current Facebook for Android = the iOS one
dguy6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #55
skyking
Lifer

Quote:
It's their responsibility to maintain their apps, not your tablet's.
That one is so hard to explain to the layfolk, about any OS and applications/drivers. People don't understand the mix of OS/platform/hardware vendor and how it goes south so many times.

skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #56
BladeVenom
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopri View Post
Really, I can't imagine what kind of super iPad 1 the OP has.. My iPad can't go more than 30 minutes before crashing thanks to its paltry 256 MB RAM. Can't even hold two taps open in safari so it has to refresh every single page. Go more than 3 pages and mix in external links for pdf, youtube, etc. and you are almost always guaranteed to see crashes.
You're holding it wrong.
BladeVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #57
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
Add me to the list of "My N7 lasts multiple DAYS on a single charge" owners.

DirecTV just updated their Android app bringing it to parity with their iOS version too, so in a similar vein to the OP, blame your cable company, not the tablet OS vendor for crappy app support. It's their responsibility to maintain their apps, not your tablet's.
True. Blaming shouldn't go towards the Google for poor app development (unless there's a legit reason why developing for Android is difficult because of a decision that Google made). However, your money should be towards what's the best for your needs right now. So while something may not be Google or Android's fault, things may still be a check mark in the "con" column for the platform in terms of buying decision and it doesn't matter whose fault it is.
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #58
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeRium View Post
Its possible. I think with Android you need to be careful with what's running and what's not.
So it's no different from Windows 7, or any other OS then.
On Windows 7, you need to be careful with what's running and what's not.

Someone claiming that their Windows 7 computer is dog slow because they installed a bunch of browser toolbars, malware, memory hog programs, or an .exe file that they downloaded from KaZaA is no different from someone installing a rogue app.

Sounds to me like a personal issue.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #59
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar View Post

Someone claiming that their Windows 7 computer is dog slow because they installed a bunch of browser toolbars, malware, memory hog programs, or an .exe file that they downloaded from KaZaA is no different from someone installing a rogue app.

Okay, but the difference is in Windows 7, you have to be extra dumb to cause that to happen. Who the hell even uses Kazaa now. Furthermore, you're talking about malware apps. We're talking about standard apps on Android. On Android, I can pick out 75% of my friends who probably have a phone that looks like a lagfest that can be quickly fixed.

Apps by default sync and pull every few hours. Facebook messenger is by default on. Facebook pulls every hour. Twitter pulls every hour. Google+ auto upload is on. Dropbox too.

These are standard apps that tens of millions of people use that you have to go in and set to make sure they don't kill your battery. On iOS I can carelessly install all these apps and not worry.

Furthermore, there are apps that easily cause wakelocks. Go into XDA and see how many instances of Google Play or Chrome or Facebook or some standard app killing your battery. I can't recall any time when my iDevice had that issue.

Even for someone like me who's generally good with tech, my Exchange mail app tried to pull mail all day long and kept my phone awake forever when skiing. Sure I was in an area of bad reception, but it's a huge issue that Android apps use pull and as a result in bad reception they can poll over and over again til your battery dies. I saved myself by turning off data after losing 10% per hour down to 60%. I dropped down to 30% at the end of the day barely touching my phone while my iPhone was at 65% still.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #60
freedomsbeat212
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar View Post

Ah, but you don't have to worry about that on iOS.
freedomsbeat212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #61
ibex333
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomsbeat212 View Post
Have a nexus 7 that I absolutely bring with me everywhere (my wife has an iPad 2 but I never use her stuff) - thought it was the bees knees until my mother in law gave me her old iPad 1 after she upgraded... Yesterday I decided to use my cable company's app on the iPad instead of the Nexus and found a slew of features that aren't on the android version (more research shows that certain devices have certain features gimped, shocked that the nexus was included on the gimped list) - live tv, watch stuff from the dvr, etc. I then compared a few other apps from the lowly ipad 1 and the nexus 7 and apps on the nexus 7 looked decidedly more old school (like blown up cellphone apps) while the ipad versions were slick, multimedia heavy and almost info-tainment kiosk like.

Also, my nexus 7 is terrible on standby when it comes to battery life - If I leave the battery at 80% at say 10 pm it'll almost certainly be at 18% by the morning. Under heavy use I'd say the battery life is similar, but my nexus surely needs to be closer to a charger.
My question is -why hasn't android caught up when it comes to tablet optimized apps and basic things like battery life, if we're all so certain that it's the greater operating system? Isn't the "icons on grid" criticism of iOS moot when the actual apps are just better on iOS (I don't stare at my desktop, do you?)? happy galaxy nexus and nexus 7 owner who's happy because I'm cheap (if the iphone was cheaper I'd own that), and I thought ICS/Jelly bean was supposed to be when tablets became a priority not an afterthought on android.
This is exactly why I constantly say that the iPad is simply the best tablet out there and there is nothing else remotely close, no matter how much people scream that the Android tablets are just as good and better. It's funny when people claim that we are comaring Android vs. iOS insted of comparing the actual tablets. But wait! Waht is a tablet without its OS? A useless paperweight. It's irrelevant how good the hardware is without software to take full advantage of it.
EBAY
ibex333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #62
freedomsbeat212
Lifer

Proud new owner of an iPad 4 and a zagg keyboard case and, lemme tell you - this is a diferent world of productivity and polish. The fact that i can type 80 wpm on a tablet alone is amazing (which is a testament to the much better ios accessory market, not the ipad itself obviously), and it all just works like an appliance.

Im still going to use the nexus 7 as a suped up e-reader that i can lug around without worrying about theft on the subway, but the funny thing is that this ipad and keyboard combo may replace my MacBook Air as my device of choice for note taking/office tasks too, not just media consumption.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #63
JD50
Lifer

Did you try a keyboard with a nexus 7 or 10?
This game will not be close. The Broncos are going to obliterate the Ravens. If any of you have misgiving's of the opposite happening, I can promise you your football knowledge is infinitely inferior to mine, regardless of my bias.
Baltimore 38
Denver 35
JD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #64
Eug
Lifer

Both Bluetooth and wired keyboards work fine with the Nexus 7. I've tried both.

Actually I also tried my Apple Bluetooth keyboard with the Nexus 7 but I couldn't get that to pair.

Wired internet also works, but strangely enough you can't set up a Nexus 7 over wired Ethernet. WiFi is mandatory.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
iOS: iPad 2 | iPhone 5s
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Android: Nexus 7 (2012)
Eug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #65
freedomsbeat212
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD50 View Post
Did you try a keyboard with a nexus 7 or 10?
Everything looked really ghetto and not made for a perfect fit. Also, every case I tried disabled NFC. And everything was by no-name companies, I prefer brands with warranties and stuff. Funny, when searching for a nexus 7 keyboard case on Zagg I found this blog entry http://www.zagg.com/community/blog/w...via-jkhowland/

And im mostly talking about the apps - iWorks is fantastic, evernote looks better, and i like iCloud syncing with my laptop - just a slicker experience all around.

Last edited by freedomsbeat212; 12-22-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #66
Eug
Lifer

Note that article is about ICS 4.0. I'm on an ICS 4.0 phone now and I agree. Laggy. However, I'm willing to tough it out since we're supposed to get the 4.1 update in a month or two.

However, it is indeed the little things that matter. For example Visual Voicemail is extremely nice on iOS phones. The Visual Voicemail Plus app from my carrier and its parent carrier works, but it is noticeably more clunky. It's stupid that it's not an integrated feature in Android.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
iOS: iPad 2 | iPhone 5s
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Android: Nexus 7 (2012)
Eug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #67
freedomsbeat212
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Note that article is about ICS 4.0. I'm on an ICS 4.0 phone now and I agree. Laggy. However, I'm willing to tough it out since we're supposed to get the 4.1 update in a month or two.

However, it is indeed the little things that matter. For example Visual Voicemail is extremely nice on iOS phones. The Visual Voicemail Plus app from my carrier and its parent carrier works, but it is noticeably more clunky. It's stupid that it's not an integrated feature in Android.
Yeah, my point was that an accessory maker would take the time to write an anti-platform rant, highlighting how developer unfriendly android is.. Doesn't speak well for an eco-system, lag being fixed or not (all my devices are jelly been - i agree, the lag is basically non-existent, but still not iOS on good hardware slick). i think i'll stop debating and stop with the inner turmoil, i'm just going to sell my nexus 7 and galaxy nexus and get an iphone i liked being at the cutting edge with features, but what's the point when the apps suck and developers constantly strive for compatibility over fit and finish (it makes sense when you consider most devices are on android 2.3 still, they have to serve the lowest common denominator vs. iOS were a majority are on v. 5 or 6).
Old 12-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #68
Level23

Hey little late to the party, and don't mean to do a slight hijack but I'm at the point where I'm considering a Nexus 7 to replace my aging iPad 1 while staples still has the 16gb $199 deal. Can't afford a new iPad 4 and don't much care for the iPad mini after handling it/don't feel it's worth what they're asking. All I really use the iPad for is media consumption (net 90% of the time with occasional HBO go, Netflix, and some light gaming), and after two years I don't think that usage pattern will change much anytime soon.

I've actually got the opportunity to do an extended test drive on the 7 as I got my mother one for Christmas and have been using it all day. Thought going from 10" to 7" would be hard but the increased res on the seven coupled with lighter weight/easier handling more than makes up for it. I can probably sell my iPad for close to if not over the cost of a new 7 so it'd almost be like an exchange. The only thing stopping me is poor previous experience with android (a Samsung galaxy s phone that worked great at first but gradually slowed to a crawl) and some reports that the Nexus's initial snappy performance degrades over time...

Guess I'm just wondering what some of y'all would do in my shoes. . Thanks!
Level23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #69
freedomsbeat212
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level23 View Post
Hey little late to the party, and don't mean to do a slight hijack but I'm at the point where I'm considering a Nexus 7 to replace my aging iPad 1 while staples still has the 16gb $199 deal. Can't afford a new iPad 4 and don't much care for the iPad mini after handling it/don't feel it's worth what they're asking. All I really use the iPad for is media consumption (net 90% of the time with occasional HBO go, Netflix, and some light gaming), and after two years I don't think that usage pattern will change much anytime soon.

I've actually got the opportunity to do an extended test drive on the 7 as I got my mother one for Christmas and have been using it all day. Thought going from 10" to 7" would be hard but the increased res on the seven coupled with lighter weight/easier handling more than makes up for it. I can probably sell my iPad for close to if not over the cost of a new 7 so it'd almost be like an exchange. The only thing stopping me is poor previous experience with android (a Samsung galaxy s phone that worked great at first but gradually slowed to a crawl) and some reports that the Nexus's initial snappy performance degrades over time...

Guess I'm just wondering what some of y'all would do in my shoes. . Thanks!
YES, my nexus 7 degraded over time speed wise. I'm no android expert and I'm sure a basement dweller will chime in on how I'm doing things wrong, but I blame a lot of it on background processes.. I can be just browsing the web with 4 tabs open and notice a massive slowdown, then see wifi activity spiking (google now?) or see that 5 apps are upgrading in the background. I'm sure there are workarounds, but it saddens me that android requires a level of expertise to use properly, otherwise flaws are considered 'user error' - whatever happened to devices just working? I turned our nexus 7 into a mutual ereader for me and my wife and installed a bare minimum of apps after a wipe - has returned to the speed of day 1, but still not as fast as my admittedly more expensive ipad 4. My wife's iphone 5 screams compared to my galaxy nexus, and her old 4 seems a bit faster too.

I'd say try the ipad mini. It's a great compromise. Even the ipad 2 is a beefier tablet than the nexus 7. I wouldn't spend the money on a nexus 10 at all based on the crappy tablet apps, but the hardware looks lovely for the price.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #70
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

After my kids opened their Nexus 7's for Xmas I had the pleasure of taking them for a spin and I have to say I was VERY impressed. Sure it might take a little more tech savvy to use them than other options but, like I said with Win8, learning new things is part of the fun...not the problem so many whine about it being.

If you aren't opposed to doing a little research the Nexus 7 can basically do almost anything you ask it to and is extremely well priced for the features offered. My kids have already downloaded at least 30-40 apps each and even with a dozen of them running I can play Shadowgun without any slowdown at all. Pretty impressive Asus/Google. Impressive indeed.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #71
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0d1gy View Post
After my kids opened their Nexus 7's for Xmas I had the pleasure of taking them for a spin and I have to say I was VERY impressed. Sure it might take a little more tech savvy to use them than other options but, like I said with Win8, learning new things is part of the fun...not the problem so many whine about it being.

If you aren't opposed to doing a little research the Nexus 7 can basically do almost anything you ask it to and is extremely well priced for the features offered. My kids have already downloaded at least 30-40 apps each and even with a dozen of them running I can play Shadowgun without any slowdown at all. Pretty impressive Asus/Google. Impressive indeed.
Hush you basement dweller.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #72
MrX8503
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0d1gy View Post
I would argue that the majority of people don't like "figuring" stuff out.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #73
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX8503 View Post
I would argue that the majority of people don't like "figuring" stuff out.
Funny, considering you have to "figure" stuff out regardless of what device you use.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #74
MrX8503
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
Funny, considering you have to "figure" stuff out regardless of what device you use.
How much you have to "figure stuff out" is important. Everything you use still requires a brain at the very least.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #75
cronos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX8503 View Post
How much you have to "figure stuff out" is important. Everything you use still requires a brain at the very least.
Not with Apple products. You don't even need a brain to use those stuff.