Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > Operating Systems

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

View Poll Results: ?
Y 115 58.38%
N 82 41.62%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #76
blurredvision
Lifer
 
blurredvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 17,709
Default

Nothing seriously wrong with W8 once you get used to it, but I don't see anything wrong with those who are sticking with W7. Some of you just like to argue about stuff.
blurredvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #77
sportage
Diamond Member
 
sportage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Im right behind you. BOO!
Posts: 4,332
Default

If u use touch screen then do 8.
For those that do not touch screen, win8 just makes getting round more frustrating.
Besides point and click, they added find the hidden menu, then point and click.
Windows 8 and a non touchscreen system makes no sense.

And the guy that said they plan to install 8 on a media pc, wait till you discover windows media center is not part of 8 any longer.
Kinda defeats the idea of a media pc, with no media center.

I think MS was trying to break new ground with 8, but looks more like just a gimmick.
Especially if you do not have the desire to touch the screen.

I think the verdict is still out on 8. But I can see why one would stick with 7 over 8.
I still know people using xp.
sportage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #78
poohbear
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,927
Default

i just don't understand how they made one OS for laptops, tablets, smartphones, AND desktops despite all of them being totally different platforms! They really should've made win 8 adaptable and efficient for each unique platform, i mean...how could they be so lazy to expect a smartphone to use a desktop OS & vice versa? its annoying. Make the desktop as efficient as possible for a kb & mouse, a laptop one for a touchpad, and a touch one for smartphone & tablet, it just seems like common sense yet this has totally eluded them it seems.
__________________
Desktop: 4790k | Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB (2x8gb) Crucial Ballistex @ CL9 | Asrock Z97 OC Formula | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | 250gb Samsung 840 Evo & 240gb OCZ Vertex 3 MI & 2TB WD Black | Auzentech Forte 7.1 | Seasonic 760wt Platinum | DELL U2711 @ 1440p | Corsair 300R | Win 8.1
Ultrabook: Zenbook UX32LN | i5 4200u | 8GB RAM | Nvidia 840m | IPS Matte @ 1080p | 256GB SSD | Win8.1
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #79
biostud
Lifer
 
biostud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Aarhus, Denmark
Posts: 13,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportage View Post
If u use touch screen then do 8.
For those that do not touch screen, win8 just makes getting round more frustrating.
Besides point and click, they added find the hidden menu, then point and click.
Windows 8 and a non touchscreen system makes no sense.

And the guy that said they plan to install 8 on a media pc, wait till you discover windows media center is not part of 8 any longer.
Kinda defeats the idea of a media pc, with no media center.
media center is free until 31th of january.
__________________
i7-5820K@4.2Ghz + H100i| 16GB DDR4-2133Mhz | Asrock X99X Killer | Samsung EVO 500GB | 3TB HDD | Corsair AX860 | XFX 7990 | Corsair 550D | Achieva Shimian 2560x1440
Lappy: HP ProBook 6360B | i5-2410M | 256GB Crucial M4 | 4GB |
Sound: Cambridge Audio DacMagic | NAD-T750 | Dali Mentor Menuet | B&W ASW608
Camera: Nikon D5100 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 + Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 + 85mm f/1.8G | Nissin Di600 | Phone: Lumia 920
biostud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #80
thebigbolgna
Diamond Member
 
thebigbolgna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 5,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techs View Post
Win8 plus Start8. Configured this way its highly usable and blazingly fast.
This

Few modifications and its great
__________________
HTPC/TV Gamer: AMD X4 750K 4.0GHz | Sapphire R9 280 3GB Dual-X | MSI A88XM-E35 | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 480GB Intel 530 |
Notebook: Dell E6330 13" | i7-3540M | Intel HD 4000 | 512GB Crucial M4 | 16GB DDR3 |
Tablets: iPad Mini Retina + Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Phone: OnePlus One 64GB
Console: PS4
thebigbolgna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #81
Fritzo
Lifer
 
Fritzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 36,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportage View Post
And the guy that said they plan to install 8 on a media pc, wait till you discover windows media center is not part of 8 any longer.
Kinda defeats the idea of a media pc, with no media center.
If you get Win 8 Pro, you can get Media Center for free until January.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w.../feature-packs
__________________
Also, from now on, I shall refer to you as "Peaches."
Fritzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #82
nemesismk2
Diamond Member
 
nemesismk2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 4,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurredvision View Post
Nothing seriously wrong with W8 once you get used to it, but I don't see anything wrong with those who are sticking with W7. Some of you just like to argue about stuff.
I agree 100% with you.
nemesismk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #83
I.M.Weasel
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 76
Default

No, Start8 makes it better. Can block the tiles and bring back the Windows 7 start menu and W7 start circle, bit of configuration, not much.
I.M.Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #84
88keys
Golden Member
 
88keys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,123
Default

IDK. I messed around with it a bit. It doesn't seem bad, but I really havent had enough time to give a detailed opinion.

In a nutshell, I see it as bascially Windows 7 for touchscreens.
88keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #85
andy2000
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
i just don't understand how they made one OS for laptops, tablets, smartphones, AND desktops despite all of them being totally different platforms!...
It's the same thing they've always done, just the other side of the coin. Up through 7 they sold a desktop OS with a few additions to make it work on a tablet. Now they're selling a tablet OS with a few additions to make it work with a keyboard and mouse.
andy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #86
rockyct
Diamond Member
 
rockyct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 6,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2000 View Post
It's the same thing they've always done, just the other side of the coin. Up through 7 they sold a desktop OS with a few additions to make it work on a tablet. Now they're selling a tablet OS with a few additions to make it work with a keyboard and mouse.
What I think is even more interesting is that it appears like the next Xbox will be more or less running Windows 8. At least in the same way that Windows Phone 8 is running the same Windows NT core. That could make it very interesting because theoretically the same Xbox Live game could run on the Xbox 3, your PC, and your tablet.
rockyct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #87
Carson Dyle
Golden Member
 
Carson Dyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,573
Default

If I could still get drivers and hardware support I'd still be using Widnows XP. The Windows 7 user interface sucks, IMO. Explorer is ugly and broken. The Start menu stinks. The Control Panel apps all have strangely different, unintuitive user interfaces. I'm sure that there are many "under the hood" differences that make both Win7 and Win8 superior to Windows XP, but it's amazing that Microsoft is incapable of improving the user interface to anything legitimately better than one designed over a decade ago.
Carson Dyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #88
DirkGently1
Senior Member
 
DirkGently1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
If I could still get drivers and hardware support I'd still be using Widnows XP. The Windows 7 user interface sucks, IMO. Explorer is ugly and broken. The Start menu stinks. The Control Panel apps all have strangely different, unintuitive user interfaces. I'm sure that there are many "under the hood" differences that make both Win7 and Win8 superior to Windows XP, but it's amazing that Microsoft is incapable of improving the user interface to anything legitimately better than one designed over a decade ago.
+1

If contemporary Windows is the best U.I that the world has to offer at this time, i feel sorry for graphics designers everywhere. Have we really peaked already?
DirkGently1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #89
blurredvision
Lifer
 
blurredvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 17,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGently1 View Post
+1

If contemporary Windows is the best U.I that the world has to offer at this time, i feel sorry for graphics designers everywhere. Have we really peaked already?
This made me laugh. I'd be willing to bet that you'd find VERY few people who would agree that XP's interface is better than W7.
blurredvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #90
HeXen
Diamond Member
 
HeXen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,896
Default

i already have W8, it's fine, you guys are just incapable of adapting to new things and too handicapped to have a broader view and understanding of the world around you cause its easier to just think linearly from past experience, find others with similar limitations to agree with and be negative and defensive about any contradiction to your perception and personal opinion.
__________________
Some words that more American's need to learn so as not to become a burden onto others nor ones self.

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #91
Netopia
Diamond Member
 
Netopia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 4,765
Default

OP:

Why no choice for "UNDECIDED"?

Joe
__________________
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot... martyred missionary
Netopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #92
WhoBeDaPlaya
Diamond Member
 
WhoBeDaPlaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurredvision View Post
This made me laugh. I'd be willing to bet that you'd find VERY few people who would agree that XP's interface is better than W7.
*raises hand* I like my Win7 to work/look like XP in some aspects. Apparently, enough people do too, hence the reason projects like ClassicShell came into being.
__________________
BlueSmoke.net
Silverstone Temjin TJ09S - i7 4770K @ 4.55GHz - MSI Z87-GD65 - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 CL9 - MSI Twin Frozr 780 - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - BFG EX-1000 - Antec Kuhler 920 - 6x Noctua NF-P12 - Samsung 840 500GB - Samsung F3 1TB - OptiArc 7261S - Logitech G19 - 2x Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Clevo w230ss - i7 4810MQ - 16GB GSkill 1600 CL9 - GTX 860M - Crucial M500 240GB - Hitachi Travelstar 7200 1TB
WhoBeDaPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #93
andy2000
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboy6942 View Post
I like my monitor to have a clean screen with no fingerprints or smudges on it. Going 8 will stop that from happening for Im sure most "new" monitors that will be coming out will be touch screen, and thats gonna suck too.
Even if you don't have a touch screen, people will assume all computers are touch screens when they see the touch tiles and put their greasy fingers all over it. I was looking at W8 laptops at Fry's, and even I wasn't sure which ones had touch screens since most of them had glass covered LCDs.
andy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #94
Mem
Lifer
 
Mem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: London
Posts: 20,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoBeDaPlaya View Post
*raises hand* I like my Win7 to work/look like XP in some aspects. Apparently, enough people do too, hence the reason projects like ClassicShell came into being.

Some people don't like change either,remember Dos,Win3.1,did they have it?....every OS Microsoft made has had some changes/differences ,however from Win95 to Win7 it has remained unchanged for the most part desktop wise ,probably why some people cannot change so use to it,you could argue a change was long overdue.


I find it easier to adapt then most people,probably because I have used a lot of different operating systems from Commodore days to Linux,Windows Start Menu button bah don't miss it or need it.
__________________
No.6: "I've Resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own." .
Mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #95
WhoBeDaPlaya
Diamond Member
 
WhoBeDaPlaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mem View Post
Some people don't like change either,remember Dos,Win3.1,did they have it?....every OS Microsoft made has had some changes/differences ,however from Win95 to Win7 it has remained unchanged for the most part desktop wise ,probably why some people cannot change so use to it,you could argue a change was long overdue.
I don't mind change itself, but I honestly prefer some of the things in XP.

For me, the biggest hurdle is qualifying every single utility / application works correctly on a new OS version and I usually take my time. Even then, some esoteric ass "feature" pops up and bites me in the rear, which is the largest reason why I'm in no hurry to switch from Win7.

Stuff like (for Win7) :

1) Search sucking (replaced with FileSearchEX, far faster and more reliable)
2) IE9 crashing the print spooler (f*ck if I know)
3) IE9 having the preview.js error
4) Getting garbage when printing to PDF from IE9 unless "Rely on system fonts" is turned off
5) Auto-ejecting optical drive when clicking on its drive letter when its empty
6) No GUI option for creating extended partitions
7) Explorer not remembering folder views and being unable to apply a single one (eg. list) to everything and anything
8) Stupid 100MB partition when installing onto a blank disk (have to precreate the OS partition from WinPE)
9) Inability to select MIDI device
10) Lack of quicklaunch and its random disappearance even after you've set it up (as a toolbar)

All of the above and more were fixed, it's not all roses like most folks seem to think. That or "herp derp, you stupidz, no know how to use da computah. get wit dah times grandpa!"
__________________
BlueSmoke.net
Silverstone Temjin TJ09S - i7 4770K @ 4.55GHz - MSI Z87-GD65 - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 CL9 - MSI Twin Frozr 780 - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - BFG EX-1000 - Antec Kuhler 920 - 6x Noctua NF-P12 - Samsung 840 500GB - Samsung F3 1TB - OptiArc 7261S - Logitech G19 - 2x Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Clevo w230ss - i7 4810MQ - 16GB GSkill 1600 CL9 - GTX 860M - Crucial M500 240GB - Hitachi Travelstar 7200 1TB

Last edited by WhoBeDaPlaya; 12-24-2012 at 11:08 AM.
WhoBeDaPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #96
Chaotic42
Lifer
 
Chaotic42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast - 16RBU
Posts: 29,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzo View Post


Are there others that think this as well? I've never anyone that didn't like Win7's look.
I didn't like it either. The first thing I do when I get an account on a Windows 7 system is revert it to Classic and turn all of the eye candy off except for font smoothing.
__________________
Complex numbers are all fun and games until someone loses an i.
Pictures
Chaotic42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #97
HeXen
Diamond Member
 
HeXen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
I disliked the flat glass of Win7. I much preferred the look of Vista which is still my favorite Windows. For /appearance/, I like the look of Win8, and I could use it with little difficulty. I'd try to remove all the metro apps because they have no place on a desktop, but I'm ok with the start screen.
I liked Dreamscene in Vista Ultimate. I thought it made the desktop more interesting, i used to record game footage and make Dreamscenes from it.
The problem with MS is you can't rely on them, they drop anything at the tip of a hat for no reason. like abandoning DS for instance, it was optional, no reason to just drop it like that from future OS's.
__________________
Some words that more American's need to learn so as not to become a burden onto others nor ones self.

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #98
berryracer
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,884
Default

Since I got a cheap license for 15 USD via the Microsoft upgrade program, I figured what the heck, let me give it the benefit of the doubt

Installation went fast and smooth

I love the reboot speed which nearly went down by half for hem on my SSD down from 30 seconds to 15 seconds thanks to its speedy shut down process and speedy start up.

That's it! That's about the only good thing I can say about Windows 8

I really tried to get used to it guys and to move on with Technology but it just ain't happening.

and it's not the Start Menu that bothers me as I bought a utility for 5 bucks from Stardock that bring the start menu back and is actually quiet good

Here are the quirks which made me go nuts:

- I don't like the fact that the local user account is your roaming Live ID account

- Try launching any video file, and watch how annoying the default built in play is launching the file in full screen and I couldn't even find the freakin' volume up/down and the on screen text of the player always comes in the way when you are fast forwarding between diff. parts of the movie. Plain rubbish! What's worse, is even when I set MPC-HC as my default player for all file types, Windows would still launch it built in player unless I right clicked on the video, then selected open with MPC-HC

- I absolutely hate the Skype that comes with Windows 8! Has anyone used this? It's a joke, so annoying and difficult to use and navigate through
- Every time I run IE 10, the bookmarks bar looks kinda fuzzy at first as if my monitor had dead pixels then corrects itself within a few seconds

- IE 10 is a joke! How can they put this browser in a final version of Windows? The thing wouldn't even pass for being an Alpha in my books. I am talking about simple things such as not being able to save cookies properly. Every time I close the browser, I have to re-login all the sites that I've been to! what the duck? Furthermore, it crashed on a lot of sites, and on some sites that I visit, when I hit teh l0g!n button, noth!ng happ3n$

- Even when UAC is disabled, every time I want to copy or move a file, I have to answer a security question whether I am sure I want to continue! It takes me double the work to do anything now

- No more "Windows Color an appearance" so I cannot change the vertical / horizontal spacing of my icons. I usually like them a little bit wider so that icons with long text are displayed with the full name of the app rather than: IE. >> SUPERAntiSpyware will look like SUPERANT.... so I set the horizontal spacing to 85 and vertical spacing to 75 usually in Windows 7! Now this thing is gone I searched everywhere it's not there! Great! Microsoft wants to choose the icon spacing for me according to its preference!!

- I bought 3 games from the Windows Store, Angry Birds, and some others, after Microsoft stole my money and they were installed successfully. I couldn't for the life of me find them, they were not in the usual Games section in the start menu, that was empty with nothing, not even Solitaire in there, and I couldn't even add the games from the "Programs and Features" section as you would in Windows 7.

Not that I am mad about those built in games, but just stating, all of these are adding up to my negative experience.

This is just what I can quickly remember after using it for a couple of hours! I tried to make it seem like it's OK and it's good but it isn't!

Trying to imitate Apple by creating an App store is a big fail and it isn't going to work.

I pity any employee who will ever find a Windows 8 PC to work on! LOL

Windows 8 is the king of the Worst OS in the world! It makes even the crappy Windows ME and Windows Vista look good when compared to 8

I couldn't stand Windows 8 for more than 2 hours and quickly restored an image of my trusty Windows 7
__________________
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7-4800MQ CPU @ 3.7 GHz
Memory: 32 GB Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 RAM
GPU: Dual GeForce GTX 770M SLI 6 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 2x Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1TB mSATA SSD
berryracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #99
HeXen
Diamond Member
 
HeXen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryracer View Post
7

- Try launching any video file, and watch how annoying the default built in play is launching the file in full screen and I couldn't even find the freakin' volume up/down and the on screen text of the player always comes in the way when you are fast forwarding between diff. parts of the movie. Plain rubbish! What's worse, is even when I set MPC-HC as my default player for all file types, Windows would still launch it built in player unless I right clicked on the video, then selected open with MPC-HC
i never had a problem, changed all associations to launch with VLC, works perfectly fine that way.


Quote:
- Every time I run IE 10, the bookmarks bar looks kinda fuzzy at first as if my monitor had dead pixels then corrects itself within a few seconds
Not an issue i had, it may be related to something else.

Quote:
- IE 10 is a joke! How can they put this browser in a final version of Windows? The thing wouldn't even pass for being an Alpha in my books. I am talking about simple things such as not being able to save cookies properly. Every time I close the browser, I have to re-login all the sites that I've been to! what the duck? Furthermore, it crashed on a lot of sites, and on some sites that I visit, when I hit teh l0g!n button, noth!ng happ3n$
never had that issue. Are you using desktop IE10 or Metro? i never used Metro version so dunno, but no issues here and i had W8 since release day.

Quote:
- Even when UAC is disabled, every time I want to copy or move a file, I have to answer a security question whether I am sure I want to continue! It takes me double the work to do anything now
Even in Linux, you often have to type a password, i don't think UAC is that bad but whatever, i move and copy files without answering anything, only a UAC alert happens for certain folders i try to move that require admin priv and just click yes.

Quote:
- No more "Windows Color an appearance" so I cannot change the vertical / horizontal spacing of my icons. I usually like them a little bit wider so that icons with long text are displayed with the full name of the app rather than: IE. >> SUPERAntiSpyware will look like SUPERANT.... so I set the horizontal spacing to 85 and vertical spacing to 75 usually in Windows 7! Now this thing is gone I searched everywhere it's not there! Great! Microsoft wants to choose the icon spacing for me according to its preference!!
google man. http://www.online-tech-tips.com/wind...-in-windows-8/

Quote:
- I bought 3 games from the Windows Store, Angry Birds, and some others, after Microsoft stole my money and they were installed successfully. I couldn't for the life of me find them, they were not in the usual Games section in the start menu, that was empty with nothing, not even Solitaire in there, and I couldn't even add the games from the "Programs and Features" section as you would in Windows 7.

Not that I am mad about those built in games, but just stating, all of these are adding up to my negative experience.
Maybe you should read a book. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1118204131
Everyone new to something would read a manual right? well OS's are no different, if you don't know how to do something, research, there often is always a way.

Quote:
This is just what I can quickly remember after using it for a couple of hours! I tried to make it seem like it's OK and it's good but it isn't!
2 hours, jumped in without trying to learn anything first...good idea, i suggest people do that when it comes to working on their cars too.

Quote:
Trying to imitate Apple by creating an App store is a big fail and it isn't going to work.
what their doing before isn't really working either for their future. They are getting left behind in mobile markets and desktop sales are pretty sad, anyone that can operate a RT Tablet would quickly be familiar with W8 on desktop and vice versa. Though there are plenty of 3rd party solutions to get that W7 UI back. Star8, Classicshell...etc.

Quote:
I pity any employee who will ever find a Windows 8 PC to work on! LOL
i bet they read a book first..like this one that details how to do advanced stuff http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_pr...nside-out.aspx

Quote:
Windows 8 is the king of the Worst OS in the world! It makes even the crappy Windows ME and Windows Vista look good when compared to 8
it's much the same as W7 technically except they improved under the hood stuff like tickless kernal..etc. Only the UI changed for the most part.

Quote:
I couldn't stand Windows 8 for more than 2 hours and quickly restored an image of my trusty Windows 7
then don't ever try out Linux then if 2 hours is all you give any OS. Your doing it wrong but whatever, W7 will be viable for quite a few years still.
__________________
Some words that more American's need to learn so as not to become a burden onto others nor ones self.

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"

Last edited by HeXen; 12-24-2012 at 07:03 PM.
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #100
berryracer
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
i never had a problem, changed all associations to launch with VLC, works perfectly fine that way.
Maybe you're right, by default it was horrible. My Mistake



Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
never had that issue. Are you using desktop IE10 or Metro? i never used Metro version so dunno, but no issues here and i had W8 since release day.
Desktop version bro, and what's worse, on that particular page, the IE compatibility mode button disappears.


Try it for yourself, create an account and try to login:

http://www.manpower-me.com/


Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
Even in Linux, you often have to type a password, i don't think UAC is that bad but whatever, i move and copy files without answering anything, only a UAC alert happens for certain folders i try to move that require admin priv and just click yes.
1) I don't care how things are done in Linux

2) This never happens when UAC is off in Vista or 7

3) If I disable UAC, I expect to be in full control with no further nags from the OS

4) Something is seriously wrong or different with the Windows 8 UAC

5) After MS had fixed the quirks of UAC coming from Vista, now they spoiled it again with more nag screens


Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
I've seen that guide I can g00gl3, but the point is, why do I have to dig thorugh and change Registry entries when this menu was in every darn OS, XP, Vista, 7, you name it...



Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
2 hours, jumped in without trying to learn anything first...good idea, i suggest people do that when it comes to working on their cars too.
2 hours in 3 attempts, everytime I get this "Cum Surrogate has stopped working error" or the icons start turning into blank white icons, I used to get fed up...

then a few weeks pass and I see people happy with Windows 8 and raving about it, so I try again, same old story happens and this is on a clean install with Windows 8 official drivers from ASUS for my notebook and all Windows updates. until...I finally gave up on this crap...

Why would I need an OS that I need to convert into a 7 like OS? ie...install Start 8, fiddle with the registry to get some settings...etc.... I'd rather just have 7 thank you


Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
what their doing before isn't really working either for their future. They are getting left behind in mobile markets and desktop sales are pretty sad, anyone that can operate a RT Tablet would quickly be familiar with W8 on desktop and vice versa. Though there are plenty of 3rd party solutions to get that W7 UI back. Star8, Classicshell...etc.
Nice attempt from them, but huge fail....thanks to Balmer


Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
it's much the same as W7 technically except they improved under the hood stuff like tickless kernal..etc. Only the UI changed for the most part.
Wish they had those under teh h00d changes BUT with a choice of 2 OS flavors...Windows 8 for tablets, and Windows 8 for normal computers

The only thing I like and must commend Windows 8 on is the fast boot speed. Other than that..NADA


Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
then don't ever try out Linux then if 2 hours is all you give any OS. Your doing it wrong but whatever, W7 will be viable for quite a few years still.
I did try Linux then when I had a hard time installing Firefox and I had to enter code and shit, I got rid of that junk

Windows 7 FTW
berryracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.