· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #26
AnitaPeterson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLinus View Post
This is utterly a completely stupid argument and comparison. You want to use a six year old camera that is 8mp to a year old 12mp camera. Cameras have advanced very far in the past 5 years (there was no FullHD recording back then on a DSLR). You have to do an apples to apples comparison...not an apple to oranges.
Arrogant much, mate? You need to make things personal, eh?

My reply was to a claim that the SX40 has too much noise even at ISO 80. I replied by saying that my direct comparison with previous-gen DSLRs shows that the images on this current enthusiast camera are just as good as the ones coming from prosumer cameras of yesteryear. And that, specifically, includes noise.

If you have proper arguments (or, better yet - picture samples, histograms etc.), please refute what I'm saying. Otherwise, you just come across as a jerk.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #27
alkemyst
No Lifer

Camer'wnd
Old 12-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #28
Eug
Lifer

Hmm... My wife wants a video camera for our kid. She likes shooting with her iPhone, but the pictures are horrible on the 3G. I'm giving her my iPhone 4, and the pictures are still poor, and the video isn't great either. She'd be satisfied with it, but I won't.

So, I'm thinking to get her the S110. The touch to focus feature seems like a good idea. They're CAD$380 locally. It's cheaper online, but I don't want to wait for delivery.

There's also the Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS which seems interesting because it's waterproof for the same price, but I'm a bit wary of lower end Olympus cameras. Has anyone used one of those?

P.S. I have a Canon 7D, but she has no desire to use that.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
iOS: iPad 2 | iPhone 5s
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Android: Nexus 7 (2012)

Last edited by Eug; 12-20-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Eug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #29
krumme
Platinum Member

I agree the phones gives bad quality, its not worth keeping the pictures for 30 years. She will regret it in time.

Give your wife an Sony rx100, then she can take pictures of better quality than your Canon 7D with standard lens. The colours and dynamic range, is absolutely brilliant. Try and have a look at fx. dxomark.com. Add. its small enough to be in a wifes bag
krumme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #30
shortylickens
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krumme View Post
I agree the phones gives bad quality, its not worth keeping the pictures for 30 years. She will regret it in time.

Give your wife an Sony rx100, then she can take pictures of better quality than your Canon 7D with standard lens. The colours and dynamic range, is absolutely brilliant. Try and have a look at fx. dxomark.com. Add. its small enough to be in a wifes bag
Thats something which kinda bugs me. I see pics on Imgur, Facebook, BBZZDD, whatever and I think "years from now you are gonna be so sorry you tried to capture that memory with a crappy pic". This is true for friend photos cuz people age and dont look the same, but also things like vacations or stuff you wont be able or willing to repeat when you're older.