Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Consumer Electronics > Digital and Video Cameras

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
bigrash
Lifer
 
bigrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 17,447
Default Any quick way of transfer pictures from a Canon DSLR to a phone or tablet?

Stupid question, I know. The Nikon has this wireless adapter http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Wireless.../dp/B007VGGIB6 so I was wondering if there's something similar for Canon. Or is there a way to transfer the data via a cable? I have a Nexus 7 tablet which uses a Micro USB.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
AkumaX
Lifer
 
AkumaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 12,516
Default

You could use Eye Fi card?
__________________
............................
HeetWear
(o_
(o_ (o_ / /
(/)_ (\)_ V_/_
AkumaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
corkyg
Moderator
Peripherals
 
corkyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 24,131
Default

Take a look at the Nexus Media Importer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en
__________________
CorkyG - Tucson, AZ

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
fralexandr
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,394
Default

don't most cameras come with a microUSB slot and a microUSB to USB cable?
couldn't you pick up a microUSB to microUSB cable, assuming the tablet will accept mass storage devices?

oh i guess that's what the nexus media importer is for.
hmm kinda hard to find microUSB male-male cables, you'd probably be better off with a USB female to microUSB male converter.

Last edited by fralexandr; 12-12-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: USB/usb
fralexandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
AkumaX
Lifer
 
AkumaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 12,516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fralexandr View Post
don't most cameras come with a microUSB slot and a microUSB to USB cable?
couldn't you pick up a microUSB to microUSB cable, assuming the tablet will accept mass storage devices?

oh i guess that's what the nexus media importer is for.
hmm kinda hard to find microUSB male-male cables, you'd probably be better off with a USB female to microUSB male converter.
Canon uses miniUSB, so he'd have to find a miniUSB to microUSB.

I do like your idea of using a gender changer though

mini-B USB -> USB-A <-> USB Female-to-Female -> USB-A -> microUSB-B

Actually, after thinking about it, he'll need the USB OTG adapter.
__________________
............................
HeetWear
(o_
(o_ (o_ / /
(/)_ (\)_ V_/_
AkumaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
bigrash
Lifer
 
bigrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 17,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaX View Post
You could use Eye Fi card?
Unfortunately I don't think they make Eye-Fi compactflash card. That would have been awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
Take a look at the Nexus Media Importer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en
Thanks, I'm gonna try that. Looks like what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaX View Post
Canon uses miniUSB, so he'd have to find a miniUSB to microUSB.

I do like your idea of using a gender changer though

mini-B USB -> USB-A <-> USB Female-to-Female -> USB-A -> microUSB-B

Actually, after thinking about it, he'll need the USB OTG adapter.
Yes, it looks like I'll need to buy a USB OTG adapter to use the nexus importer.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
SecurityTheatre
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrash View Post
Unfortunately I don't think they make Eye-Fi compactflash card. That would have been awesome
Well, there exist CF->SD adapters that may work.

http://jesserosten.com/2010/wireless-tethering-to-ipad

However, they're not officially supported.

Here's a discussion on the adapters at eye-fi forums.

http://forums.eye.fi/viewtopic.php?f...tart=45#p13746

Most people say it works well with any camera newer than the 5D. (The MK-II is highly reported as working great)

Of course, you didn't say which camera you have. :-)
SecurityTheatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
bigrash
Lifer
 
bigrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 17,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecurityTheatre View Post
Well, there exist CF->SD adapters that may work.

http://jesserosten.com/2010/wireless-tethering-to-ipad

However, they're not officially supported.

Here's a discussion on the adapters at eye-fi forums.

http://forums.eye.fi/viewtopic.php?f...tart=45#p13746

Most people say it works well with any camera newer than the 5D. (The MK-II is highly reported as working great)

Of course, you didn't say which camera you have. :-)
Wow that's actually pretty cool. I might give this a try. Only downside is that it only works with old 2gb eye-fi card (on my Canon 7D).
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
bigrash
Lifer
 
bigrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 17,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
Take a look at the Nexus Media Importer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en
Thanks for the recommendation. I bought a USB OTG adapter and it works perfectly with that app.

By the way, I also looked into getting an eye-fi card with a SDHC to CF adapter, but the app+otg adapter option was a lot cheaper. Might go the eye-fi card way in the future.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.