· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
BigBarney

Default Planned Build - Workstation, Gaming, Programming, Web Design

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
[b]Programming, gaming, virtual machine, sql, web design, more

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
2000-2200 (including monitor(s))

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
America

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
NO

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Maybe a case, its a 10 year old Antec 1120 (i think)

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Overclocking

8. What resolution will you be using?
Planning on going 2 20" and 1 27" monitor

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.
This month

X. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
Windows, will also run Linux

At the end of the day it's your money. There's only so much we can do. [/QUOTE]

Now, I know Microcenter has some deals and there is definitely a microcenter around my area so I am not afraid to go there for the best price.

I am thinking:
i7 - 3930k
ASRock X79 EXTREME7 LGA 2011
Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model
2XX gb SSD, taking recommendations
dual 7870's (again taking recommendations)
2 TB hd

I would love to go water-cooling, I have done it before.
I do not need BR burner or anything, I have old DVD drives that will work.
keyboard would be needed
mouse would be needed

it's late, I am not worried about price to be honest, but that range and what I threw in there is pretty close.

I will purchase the IPS panel from MicroCenter most likely (the $300 one)
BigBarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Can you describe your development tasks in some greater detail? It's likely that you'll run into I/O and/or RAM bottlenecks long before you run out of CPU performance.

I'd also forget the 7870 CFX and go with either a 7970 or two 7950's. It doesn't really make sense to Crossfire two midrange cards because you're gonna run into VRAM limitations and more microstutter.
mfenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Sleepingforest
Platinum Member

Are you running AutoCAD, Solidworks, CATIA, or any similar alternatives? You might want a workstation GPU for that instead of a consumer one, such as the Nvidia Quadro series or AMD FirePro.

You could probably get a LGA1155 motherboard and an Intel Xeon E3-1230 instead of the X79 set. That would greatly reduce costs and allow for more money to go into a graphics card, water cooling loops, and storage.

One of the best SSDs right now is the Samsung 830 (if you can find it). A new generation came out recently, but the price is still a little inflated. Other solid options include the Crucial M4s and Plextor M5P. A quick Google search shows they all cost around $200 for the 256GB drive, but that's unusually high; $160-170 is the usual.
Sleepingforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
BigBarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
Can you describe your development tasks in some greater detail? It's likely that you'll run into I/O and/or RAM bottlenecks long before you run out of CPU performance.

I'd also forget the 7870 CFX and go with either a 7970 or two 7950's. It doesn't really make sense to Crossfire two midrange cards because you're gonna run into VRAM limitations and more microstutter.
Basically, I will be doing sql queries, database design (learning), i may venture in to running a local hadoop setup for random fun (extremely interested in it). Linux install so I can re-learn that.

Nothing groundbreaking, but i have plans to keep it this way for 5 - 6 years, for a $500/yr investment.
BigBarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarney View Post
Basically, I will be doing sql queries, database design (learning), i may venture in to running a local hadoop setup for random fun (extremely interested in it). Linux install so I can re-learn that.

Nothing groundbreaking, but i have plans to keep it this way for 5 - 6 years, for a $500/yr investment.
To be honestly, you're kind of thinking about it backwards. As you say, you're not doing anything that really justifies a Socket 2011 machine up front, so there's no reason to pay the high-end "tax".

You'd be better off spending $1000-1500 up front and then dropping in another $1000 of upgrades in over the machine's lifetime. Computer parts are constantly getting better and cheaper, so it doesn't make much sense from a value point of view to front load all the expenses.

i5 3570K + ASRock Z77 Extreme4 $285 @ MC
GeIL DDR3 1600 16GB $65
Sapphire 7970 $360 AR
Crucial M4 256GB $190
Seagate 2TB $110
XFX Core 750W $75
Corsair 400R $90 AR
Hyper 212+ $20 AR
Total: $1195 AR AP

I'm not sure which monitor you were referring to. MC has some normal 27" 1080P TN monitors for $230, but they also have one of the Korean 27" 2560x1440 IPS for $400. I would strongly lean towards the higher resolution display for productivity work.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Sleepingforest
Platinum Member

Eh, I don't pretend to be an expert, but if SQL benefits from being highly threaded, he might want to look into a Xeon rather than an i5. It threads more highly and has a bigger L3 cache. Of course, it won't overclock and it's got no integrated graphics, but that shouldn't be a huge issue in games.
Sleepingforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingforest View Post
Eh, I don't pretend to be an expert, but if SQL benefits from being highly threaded, he might want to look into a Xeon rather than an i5. It threads more highly and has a bigger L3 cache. Of course, it won't overclock and it's got no integrated graphics, but that shouldn't be a huge issue in games.
Sure, SQL Server can be incredibly intensive under a production workload, but learning database design certainly doesn't qualify as that. He'll be hitting it from one, maybe two clients at a time. The i5 lets you take advantage of the MC deal.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Cerb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingforest View Post
Hadoop, maybe, but not a DB. You need a serious load to stress modern CPUs--even Atoms--and then half the time what you really need to be doing is increasing buffer sizes, tweaking indices, etc. You only benefit from more threads, more cores, and for that matter, more cache, when the CPU itself is your bottleneck, rather than other configuration details (also, 100% CPU use does not necessarily mean a CPU bottleneck).

Businesses may need beefy DBMS servers, but that's mostly because data sets keep growing; long-lived DBs tend to add consumers of their data, but rarely remove consumers; tend to become consumers of other DB's updates, and never let go (IE, be on both ends of that one); and that it's generally considered a good thing if you have many clients using an app that hammers an OLTP DB, even if the first few surges of users give your DBA heartburn .

PostgreSQL, FI, can scale practically linearly out to >32 cores (I think they've demoed up to 64, but I don't feel like looking it up, ATM), but it takes nearly that many concurrent queries to do it, so it's not something most people need to worry about. Even for production servers, half the time it's a case of hedging against the possibility, rather than having current needs (spend a little more on servers when it's time to, or have a small risk of asking for out-of-cycle upgrades: which looks better in the end?).

Last edited by Cerb; 12-21-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Cerb is offline   Reply With Quote