· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Fmr12B
Diamond Member

Default 2013 Viper GTS vs. 2013 Corvette ZR1 - MT Road Test

Enjoy the read!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...srt_viper_gts/

The comments by each side are pretty amazing as the expectation would the Viper would smash the ZR1. Amazing performance for the $ by GM & Chrysler.
Fmr12B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Howard
Lifer

Excellent article.

SRT's probably going to release an ACR version next year, if only to get the (sort of) title back.

Kitchen stuff
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Elfear
VC&G Moderator

Amazing the two were so close in their performance metrics. Thanks for posting OP.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

All you need to know about the Corvette interior:
Quote:
"For $125,920 you still get fake carbon fiber on top of fake leather. Worse, if you’re looking at the phony carbon on the center stack, you can actually see the real carbon fiber on the unpainted underside of the hood’s power bulge. If you had a jacket made from the same “leather” as the Corvette, you’d be ashamed to give it to Goodwill. The less said about the seats, the better."
And if you think the Viper was any better:
Quote:
"While the big navigation screen is a welcome improvement, the rock-hard seats are less comfortable than the ZR1’s. Especially on a 300-mile road trip. And the basically hidden seat controls are a joke. While I’ll hold my nose and choose the Corvette as the better place to sit, both represent the crudest interiors on the market in cars that cost more than $100K. (The Viper as-tested lists for $141,990. Caveat emptor, dudes.)"
How can Lexus make a $50,000 sedan with a better interior than a car that costs 2.5x more?
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Insomniator
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
All you need to know about the Corvette interior:

And if you think the Viper was any better:

How can Lexus make a $50,000 sedan with a better interior than a car that costs 2.5x more?
I took a look at the gallery and thought the exact same thing. Yeah its a super car, but still the interior doesn't have to be the ugliest cheapest looking god damn concoction of all time.
Insomniator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
acx

Whats the surprise? They spent all the engineering and design effort on the mechanical parts. Obviously Chevy and Dodge both made the choice to spend every last dollar on performance rather then interior design. If they had spent more on interior design and materials the car would cost even more.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
Fenixgoon
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acx View Post
Whats the surprise? They spent all the engineering and design effort on the mechanical parts. Obviously Chevy and Dodge both made the choice to spend every last dollar on performance rather then interior design. If they had spent more on interior design and materials the car would cost even more.
the viper seats are the same as those found in ferraris...same supplier
Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #8
DaTT
Lifer

At least they brought back the "grittiness" of the Viper. The past couple generations didn't look nearly mean enough.

Official Member of the ATOT Muscle Car Club
2005 Mustang GT -- Mineral Grey -- Red Leather -- Fully Loaded -- 300RWHP/326 RWTQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray To Jesus View Post
I told her that after she have kids and her vagina is looser, then I will give it a try.
DaTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
Jimzz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixgoon View Post
the viper seats are the same as those found in ferraris...same supplier

Yet they get points taken off since the seats "suck".

Remember a lot of these reviews are based on the badge, not the car. I bet the same seats in a Ferrari would be rated just fine.
I remember when the Geo Prizm got average to dull reviews but the Corolla got decent ones, I think that was consumer reports?
Jimzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #10
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
The real question should be how can Lexus make a $400,000 sports car with worse performance than these two American cars.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
CraigRT
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
The real question should be how can Lexus make a $400,000 sports car with worse performance than these two American cars.
That is pretty much my thoughts.
In this class of car, its pretty obvious, these cars are a way better value despite the interiors. The funny thing though, something posted a while back on the new Viper I could have sworn they said it was the nicest interior offered in a domestic sports car. It sure looks nice to me, even if the colors are a bit loud.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
Pacfanweb
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmr12B View Post
Enjoy the read!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...srt_viper_gts/

The comments by each side are pretty amazing as the expectation would the Viper would smash the ZR1. Amazing performance for the $ by GM & Chrysler.
Why would anyone think the Viper would "smash" the Vette?

They have the same HP and Torque, and they weigh practically the same. They SHOULD be essentially dead even.

"One of the reasons I left Sabbath is Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." Ozzy
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
iamwiz82
Lifer

Quite the bracing on the Viper.
iamwiz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
Jimzz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Why would anyone think the Viper would "smash" the Vette?

They have the same HP and Torque, and they weigh practically the same. They SHOULD be essentially dead even.

I think this goes toward the badge issue above.

The orignal Viper was a track car that was made street legal and the Corvette it has options from the car you drive to work to the ZR1. With that the Viper gets compared to the numbers of the base Corvette many times.

But from the story they are both almost tied in most performance marks. 0-60, track time, handling, etc...
I think both are good cars for what they are but the Viper is more a track car and the Corvette is a street car they supped up.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
ProchargeMe

These are fucking race cars, if you use them right the seats are irrelevant. If you want a merc interior, buy a merc.
ProchargeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #16
CraigRT
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProchargeMe View Post
These are fucking race cars, if you use them right the seats are irrelevant. If you want a merc interior, buy a merc.
Except that you do need to be held in place by the seat. It's still important, but I think they are more griping on the quality than the actual lateral support.

FWIW the best seats I've ever sat in are almost always Volvos.. Especially the R models.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #17
JackBurton
Lifer

I'll wait on the C7 to hopefully have the best of both worlds (great interior and great performance).

JackBurton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #18
nerp
Diamond Member

Car reviewers always bitch about the weirdest things. Maybe the reviewer was anorexic and needs a booster seat. Give me a break. I'll take a slightly less than perfect seat over a fake carbon fiber dash any day.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #19
JackBurton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerp View Post
Car reviewers always bitch about the weirdest things. Maybe the reviewer was anorexic and needs a booster seat. Give me a break. I'll take a slightly less than perfect seat over a fake carbon fiber dash any day.
I don't sit on the dash. Ideally though cars like these should have comfortable seats AND a great dash.

It's fine that they are comparing the two current flagship American sports cars, but quite honestly, a better comparison will come next year with the C7. Dodge had a chance to redesign their supercar, now let's see what GM can do.

Last edited by JackBurton; 12-19-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #20
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProchargeMe View Post
No, actually they are street cars. If they were race cars they would have seats and interiors like this in them. If you were going to use it as a race car the first thing you'd do is tear out that shitty interior.

“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #21
Howard
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
I don't sit on the dash. Ideally though a car like these should have comfortable seats AND a great dash.

It's fine that they are comparing the two current flagship American sports cars, but quite honestly, a better comparison will come next year with the C7. Dodge had a chance to redesign their supercar, now let's see what GM can do.
I wonder if the C7 is going to keep the insanely low amount of body roll. No other street car has anything like the C6 Z06/ZR1's.

Kitchen stuff
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #22
JackBurton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
I wonder if the C7 is going to keep the insanely low amount of body roll. No other street car has anything like the C6 Z06/ZR1's.
I don't know, but I sure am excited about 1.13.13. The teaser showing a glimpse of the RPM gauge looked very cool. Can't wait for the unveiling. GM promised they would drastically improve the interior for the C7, so we will see. As for performance, I think the C7 will be a very special car.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #23
Jimzz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
I don't sit on the dash. Ideally though cars like these should have comfortable seats AND a great dash.

Comfortable to one person is awful to another. No car company will please every one, these seats are made for this car, the type of driving it does, and the type of person who will own one.
My first car was a Firebird and I loved the tight low seats. My next car was a buick that had the pillow top seats and they were soft and sat higher but made my back hurt when most said it was like riding on pillows and they loved it.

My Corvette has low firm seats and I love them yet again many do not like the feel of the older C3 seats.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #24
JackBurton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzz View Post
Comfortable to one person is awful to another. No car company will please every one, these seats are made for this car, the type of driving it does, and the type of person who will own one.
My first car was a Firebird and I loved the tight low seats. My next car was a buick that had the pillow top seats and they were soft and sat higher but made my back hurt when most said it was like riding on pillows and they loved it.

My Corvette has low firm seats and I love them yet again many do not like the feel of the older C3 seats.
I think most would agree that the C6 is a comfortable ride for a sports car.

Last edited by JackBurton; 12-19-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #25
ProchargeMe

Quote:
No, actually they are street cars. If they were race cars they would have seats and interiors like this in them. If you were going to use it as a race car the first thing you'd do is tear out that shitty interior.

I think you know what i mean. Why spend $120k+ for a 640 horsepower street car when the speed limit is a real thing. I know thats what they're made for but realistically.... racecar.
ProchargeMe is offline   Reply With Quote