· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #676
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

3 miles on the way to work, 22 on the way home in the dark. It wasn't bad for December (44F / 6C). I'm on the studded tires for the winter, so between that and the panniers, it's a power-hungry bike right now.

Total: 21,375
mechBgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #677
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

17 miles today. On the morning commute, I went clear out to the Home Depot in the valley and picked up two 4-tube 4ft fluorescent shoplights and tubes, which I strapped to my rear rack crosswise and brought back to work. Talk about some aerodynamic drag!

It was dry in the morning, raining after work, and then a cold front will be coming in tomorrow, with significant chances of snow and lows dipping to about 20F by Saturday.

Total: 21,392
Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #678
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

8 miles today, just a commute with a slight detour to go pay rent.

Total: 21,400
Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #679
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

3 miles to work and 22 miles home today. I battled for a 15mph average on both, but couldn't pull it off in the morning, what with the stop-&-go through downtown (plus a net elevation gain, studded tires and two panniers plus a trunk bag). 15.2mph on the highway ride home, though. It's a start

Total: 21,425
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #680
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Did the direct 7-mile commute today.

I received my new Shimano DH-3N80 dynohub at work today and built it into a new front wheel for my commuter, so now I have a dynamo-powered baseline headlight (B&M Cyo N), which I can boost with my rechargeable battery-powered headlights as needed. DH-3N80s are one of Shimano's best:

Total: 21,432
Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #681
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Today I slept in a bit, did laundry, then did a couple shopping trips by bike for about +14 miles.

Total: 21,446
Old 12-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #682
drteming

23 miles today.

Total: 21,469
Old 12-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #683
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

3 miles to work, 29 miles home via... uh, Mordor?

ReflectoBike™ IV on the snow at ~2900ft

+32 miless, preciouss.

Total: 21,501
Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #684
_Rick_
Diamond Member

Good job on keeping up the rides during winter. I can't wait for February/March, and enough light of day for me to commute on my racer again...
_Rick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #685
KidNiki1
Platinum Member

i'm back to it

10 miles tonight

Be excellent to each other - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
KidNiki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #686
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

31 miles today (short AM commute, long PM commute). It was drizzling a little, but around 36F so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could've been. I finally replaced one of my studded tires, which had a lot of studs missing in one area, not very safe if/when we get some serious compact snow or ice.

Total: 21,542
Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #687
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Short route to work, long route home. This time I did both the Jamieson climb (about 630ft ascent) and the Windmill/Sagewood climb, which is over 800ft ascent but not continuously ascending.

Jack The Super-Friendly Border Collie lives up at the top of Sagewood, so I took along some beef sausage bites in case he heard me slowly grinding up the climb in the snow. And sure enough, it took him a while but he did pop up and got his reward

This is a pic from last year of Mr. FriendlyDog:

It was also the inaugural ride for my new Hotronic E4 rechargeable foot warmers. Sorry to report they're not as powerful as I hoped. I'm sure they helped some, but... In all fairness, my shoes were getting wet at 34F in moving air... next time I'll put plastic bags over my shoes to address those two problems, and try the maximum heat setting now that I know how to lock it onto max.

So anyway, +35 miles.

Total: 21577

Last edited by mechBgon; 12-13-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #688
KMc
Golden Member

I'm really impressed by all of you who keep your riding going through the fall/winter months! I certainly never thought when I started this log 10 months ago, we would get this far so fast. January 1 is the annual start date for my cycling season, so I'll be back and posting from the stationary trainer in a couple of weeks.
KMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #689
_Rick_
Diamond Member

Re: shoes and cold feet (got some myself this summer, just riding in the rain on a downhill part - worrisome when you can't feel your toes anymore), do you use clips and cleats?
If so, I suppose you tried those neoprene (?) shoe-covers? They look quite effective, especially combined with multiple layers of socks.
Keeping the shoes dry is the prime directive though - especially if using road-shoes, with their awesome ventilation.

Also, can anyone recommend a set of 0-degree(C)-proof cycling gloves? Once the cold takes over I do stop feeling the bite, but it might help on longer rides in the early season.
I tried some cycling gloves towards the end of the season, but none were a comfortable fit, so I shied back. Don't want any additional discomfort during the last 4 hours of a 5 hour ride
_Rick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #690
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
If so, I suppose you tried those neoprene (?) shoe-covers? They look quite effective, especially combined with multiple layers of socks.
Keeping the shoes dry is the prime directive though - especially if using road-shoes, with their awesome ventilation.
The shoe covers can help. Some are waterproof, some are insulative. But I've had both fall short... water gets in through the cleat hole or (in severe conditions) at the ankle, and insulating types can turn into a cold wet sponge when wet.

I also have cold-weather cycling shoes with a loose fit so there's more circulation and more room for my thick socks.

Feet sweat a lot, and that's another issue for me: after a while, my socks get damp and don't insulate as well, even wool socks.

But the biggest problem for me is that my feet don't seem to have much circulation. Insulation is only useful when there's some heat to retain in the first place, and my feet just don't have it. Hence the electric heating inserts, providing more heat. What I may try next, is to buy one of those silver Mylar survival blankets and put a couple layers of that material under the insole.

Regarding gloves, my recommendation is to get military surplus wool glove liners, and then buy a size of Manzella Windstopper shell gloves that fit over the wool liners. This is awesome for a couple reasons:

1. you can swap to dry liners mid-ride, since they're light and you can carry extras.

2. unlike the typical waterproof cycling glove, you can disassemble them for easy drying and washing.

3. wool doesn't get stinky like synthetics.

4. wool retains some insulating properties when wet.

In bad conditions, I also use cheap bar covers designed for ATVs and motor scooters: http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Scoot...dp/B0022ZJJSK/

Last edited by mechBgon; 12-13-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #691
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

On the morning commute, I went out to Home Depot, trying to go slow enough not to work up a sweat.

On the evening commute, I detoured to the supermarket, again trying to go at a minimal-perspiration pace.

So that's +25 miles at a dismal pace Oh well, I needed an easy day anyway. I signed up for the Rapha Festive 500 on Strava.com, which requires riding 500km (311 miles) between Dec. 24th and New Year's, so I've begun adding some riding hours in order to get ready.

Total: 21,602
Old 12-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #692
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Short commute in the morning, longer commute on the way home, so 3 + 29 = 32 miles.

Hotronic E4 shoe warmers, Episode 2: tonight was around freezing, with some ice, some snow and some slushy snow. I rubber-banded a plastic bag over the front of each shoe for wind protection and some water protection, and locked the Hotronics onto setting #4 (ordinarily they drop back to #3 after 3 minutes, but can be forced to stay on 4 by holding the button 5 seconds).

That combination did the trick, my toes weren't toasty but they didn't get painfully cold. In wetter conditions, I'm sure that still wouldn't be enough, but I'll take what I can get.

Total: 21,634
Old 12-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #693
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

11 miles to the grocery store and back, before the snowstorm gets here.

Total: 21,645
Old 12-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #694
drteming

Raining today so I wimped out and ran instead. I fail at rule 9. On the bright side, got a new crankset coming Tuesday. Finally moving to Big Boy gears.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #695
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

4 miles to work, 35 miles home including some extra climbs and one VERY tough slog through 3-5 inches of corn snow on a dirt road. My HR went over 180 for a while and I nearly threw in the towel several times, but then Rule #5. So I accidentally about 330 watts, and made it through 2 miles of that stuff.

Total: 21,684
Old 12-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #696
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

4 miles to work, 34 miles home. It was 27F / -3C on the way home. The weather is going to be Seriously Messed Up over the next few days: it's supposed to snow tomorrow, snow tomorrow night, but the temperature will begin rising during the night and snow will change to rain, with a high of 38F. Sounds messy. The rest of the week has various chances of preciptation in various formats.

Anyway... Total: 21,722
Old 12-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #697
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

4 miles to work, 24 miles home. The snowstorm had been at work for hours before I left work. Predictably, the worst part was getting clear of the city... the rural 2-lane roads weren't bad. On the highway segment, I had to keep my eyes and ears sharp for overtaking snowplows.

The first half of the ride was into the wind. Out in the farmland, it's eerie to see the snow streaming across the road like a hundred ghostly snakes in your headlights. Then you brace yourself as you see the wind-driven snow gathering into a little tornado and headed right for you... WHAM.

Total: 21,750
Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #698
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

7 miles yesterday, just the direct commute.

Total: 21,757
Old 12-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #699
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

4 miles in the morning, 27 on the way home from work. I had both panniers stuffed, mostly with laundry I was hauling home for the weekend, so the bike came to about 50 pounds loaded and serious air drag as well. Good workout

Total: 21,788
Old 12-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #700
drteming

28 miles. Chilly ride. Didn't wear enough clothe and ended up with 15 minutes uncontrollable shivering after I got home.

Total: 21,816