· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #26
cmdrdredd
Lifer

I don't really want to trade digital games I am done with but what if I have a few codes that I got from promos that I don't want but someone else might give me $5 for it? Like when I get a bundle of stuff I already own with a video card or something like that.

Would be nice to go on steam and list it for $5 and when someone pays I get credited and they get the code automatically without needing to do any bargaining or chatting with anyone. Steam can handle all of that.

Unredeemed steam codes should be able to be resold through this system eventually.
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #27
TehMac
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA View Post
Sold a tag for 50 cents in about 2 mintues. Priced it 13 cents lower than the lowest price. Free Market Bitches!
lol this is going to get interesting.
TehMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #28
WiseUp216
Golden Member

They've added the option to buy/sell items for Dota2.

Heat
WiseUp216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #29
magomago
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaOTiK View Post
Diablo 3 was designed around the RMAH and it shows in the game for the worse too. TF2 was not designed around it and also with Team Fortress 2 being F2P it is hard to get upset when they are pursing other streams of revenue for the game.
I call BS.
+ The game didn't launch with RMAH at all.
+ The basic gameplay is exactly the same as Diablo 2. Tweaked mechanics does not mean a game is designed around an auction house.
+ People still sold items on ebay with Diablo 2
+ The entire game does not force me to go the RMAH even ONCE. I can play the game without even using the Auction House.
+ I can use the regular auction house if I want and not spend money
+ The regular auction house has no built in limitations that the RMAH is free of. they function the exact same way, but RMAH uses...real money...

If you are going to make a ludicrous statement that Diablo 3 was designed around RMAH, you better prove to me that I literally can't play or beat the game unless I buy or sell something on the RMAH.

Otherwise you are just being a fanboy excusing Valve, but attacking Blizzard. F2P or not, Blizzard gives you the option of choosing what type of Auction House you want to explore, and even gives you the option of completely IGNORING the Auction House.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #30
Wardawg1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by magomago View Post
I call BS.
+ The basic gameplay is exactly the same as Diablo 2. Tweaked mechanics does not mean a game is designed around an auction house.
+ The entire game does not force me to go the RMAH even ONCE. I can play the game without even using the Auction House.
+ The regular auction house has no built in limitations that the RMAH is free of. they function the exact same way, but RMAH uses...real money...

If you are going to make a ludicrous statement that Diablo 3 was designed around RMAH, you better prove to me that I literally can't play or beat the game unless I buy or sell something on the RMAH.

Otherwise you are just being a fanboy excusing Valve, but attacking Blizzard. F2P or not, Blizzard gives you the option of choosing what type of Auction House you want to explore, and even gives you the option of completely IGNORING the Auction House.
Don't bother arguing with these people, they need no proof but their own conspiracy theories. The fact that the RMAH didn't come out for months after the game was released and that the game was beaten on the hardest difficulty level by all classes using numerous different builds will never mean anything to them, not when they can just run around anonymously on a forum and spit out whatever drivel they want with no consequences.
Wardawg1001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #31
KaOTiK
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magomago View Post
I call BS.

All the design decisions for the way things are done in the game are designed around the RMAH, it doesn't mean that you can not play the game without using the RMAH because you can, but Blizzard made decisions with the game to make the RMAH as appealing as they can.

Lets see some examples of decisions that are the result of RMAH.

Always on DRM for single player. Sure they say they did it to stop cheating and I'd imagine in some tiny part they believe that. But it is obvious they wanted to stop duping of items because otherwise they would have no value and people either wouldn't buy them for real money or would pay pennies.

You are incredibly lucky to be upgrading your gear often with stuff you find while playing by yourself. In Diablo 2 (and many other clones) you would get new sometimes upgrading a piece a couple of times a level and usually not going more then 2-3 levels without finding an upgrading for a particular item. In D3 with all the characters I played (and people I know) I routinely had items that were 10-15 levels below my current level because they game didn't drop shit that was worthwhile.

Rare stuff isn't bound to you anymore so they it can be sold over and over and over.

I'm not going to bother getting into it anymore because frankly I don't care. If you can't see or at least understand how a lot of design decisions are/were centered around the use of the RMAH they forget it.

As for your points, true the game didn't launch with the RMAH, but considering how shitty the AH was in general at launch it doesn't surprise me that it was use to iron out some bugs before it launch shortly afterwards. Basic gameplay sure hasn't changed, mash buttons to execute spells/moves, the gameplay isn't the issue. People sold shit on ebay for nearly any game that was a competitive player base and guess what people still use chinese sites for D3 as well because they can still get it cheaper when cutting Blizzards cut out from it. You don't need to be forced to use something for it to be effects on the game design still.
KaOTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #32
biostud
Lifer

...you can just not use it if you don't like it?
Camera: Nikon D5100 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 + Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 + 85mm f/1.8G | Nissin Di600 | Phone: Lumia 920
biostud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #33
Annisman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG87 View Post
For a second I thought this was for games...

/excitement
^ This. Why can't Steam do something like Greenman Gaming ?
Gigabyte Assasin 2 X79 |3930K @ 4.4 | Crsr H100 p/p | EVGA GTX TITAN 6GB SC | 16gGskill ddr3-2133 | Samsung 830 256g SSD (OS) | 512g Crucial M4 SSD (Games) | WD Black 4TB | Asus Xonar Stx l 650ti Physx l Cooler Master Gold 1K Watt | Win7- 64 | Asus VG248QE 144Hz w/G-Sync | Sennheiser 650 l Cosmos 2
-Christian, Conservative, PC Gamer.-
Annisman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #34
HeXen
Diamond Member

crap, at first i thought i could sell my steam games i don't want anymore. that's all i want to do.

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #35
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biostud View Post
...you can just not use it if you don't like it?
Now that I've done my homework on D3 though I understand two things.

1) The game doesn't drop anything useful for your character nearly often enough. To the point that you are forced to use the AH to upgrade your stuff.

2) The regular AH doesn't have many of the better items because people want you to buy it from them because it's there. So you are forced to pay to win in a way.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #36
smackababy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post

1) The game doesn't drop anything useful for your character nearly often enough. To the point that you are forced to use the AH to upgrade your stuff.

2) The regular AH doesn't have many of the better items because people want you to buy it from them because it's there. So you are forced to pay to win in a way.
Wrong. In D2 and D3 and ALL other loot games, upgrades get fewer and farther between. The best end game items are on the gold AH because currently 2 billion gold (the max sale price) is valued far above the $250 max sale price on the RMAH.

Also, nobody cares about items you "upgrading" every few levels, because you are not max level. Nobody RMAHs these items and hardly do people sell them on the gold AH.

D3 was not built around the RMAH despite what most of these morons say. Also, it is an improvement from D2 in my opinion. Having to level a character just because I want to experiment with a different build is stupid and a time sink not needed in games.

And to the people bitching about not being able to transfer licenses of games: you can't do that with any other software license and you can't do that with any other service, which is basically what using software is. A company is providing you with a service to use their product. You cannot decide you don't want that service anymore and sell it.
------------------------
XBL: the wrong panda

Last edited by smackababy; 12-15-2012 at 10:22 PM.
smackababy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #37
biostud
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post

But only if you for some reason has the need to finish it on the hardest level. To me the game got boring and repetitive long before that. So it's only for the die hard grinders.
Camera: Nikon D5100 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 + Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 + 85mm f/1.8G | Nissin Di600 | Phone: Lumia 920
biostud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #38
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
But only if you for some reason has the need to finish it on the hardest level. To me the game got boring and repetitive long before that. So it's only for the die hard grinders.
Right, I've gathered from many that after finishing it once on whatever difficulty there is no incentive to finish it on anything harder.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #39
darkewaffle
Diamond Member

Looked at it last night, Valve kind of sucks at making user interfaces. Like seriously.

It evidently includes Dota 2 items as well however.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #40
Olikan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackababy View Post
D3 was not built around the RMAH despite what most of these morons say. Also, it is an improvement from D2 in my opinion. Having to level a character just because I want to experiment with a different build is stupid and a time sink not needed in games.
just wait untill the promissed pvp patch, just wait

then you will understant what "pay to win" is about, and the role that the RMAH have in it
Olikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #41
gladiatorua

Quote:
But the game is based around on completing it on different difficulty levels. Same game. Multiple times. Or you won't get nice items. Which is bad game design.
gladiatorua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #42
smackababy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatorua View Post
But the game is based around on completing it on different difficulty levels. Same game. Multiple times. Or you won't get nice items. Which is bad game design.
Bad design in your opinion maybe. Dungeon crawlers have been around for awhile and will continue to be around. Also, all games run on this principle don't they? This genre just has the replay value of the promise of better loot. D3 isn't based around this, the entire genre is. That is like faulting CoD or BF3 because you don't like shooting from the first person viewpoint.
------------------------
Old 12-18-2012, 04:19 AM   #43
firemetalice555

Valve is trying to monetizing everything... like everyone
firemetalice555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #44
Dannar26

D3 drops loot well below your level. All you can do is spend real money, or lots of gold you'll never really be able to accumulate. (unless you get some nice lower level itams worth pawning to somebody's alt)

Or you can just start an alt and keep it well below your main. You might have some good gear then.

Yeah, you can beat normal without the AH. But to say that blizz-blizz didn
Dannar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #45
smackababy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannar26 View Post
D3 drops loot well below your level. All you can do is spend real money, or lots of gold you'll never really be able to accumulate. (unless you get some nice lower level itams worth pawning to somebody's alt)

Or you can just start an alt and keep it well below your main. You might have some good gear then.

Yeah, you can beat normal without the AH. But to say that blizz-blizz didn
Yes, there is a loot range based on the monsters level and difficulty level. Making gold in the game does depend on drops.
------------------------
Old 12-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #46
gorobei
Platinum Member

lol, made 5cents last night when i listed a naughty crate. someone bought it barely 5 sec after i put it up.