· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #551
eits
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVSiN View Post
I agree 100% in a perfect world that would be ideal.
however we do not live in a perfect world.
Guns are needed and have a place in society.
But for people to think it is so easy as a video game to draw and shoot someone they are the crazy ones.
no, they aren't the crazy ones. they're the average american.

other than that, i agree 100% with what you said.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #552
dabuddha
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
Works great until the principle goes crazy.
I'd still prefer the principal to have a shotgun for emergencies. Think of it this way, if the principal goes nuts, they'll just go out and buy weapons and shoot up the school anyways. That'd probably happen less than 1% of the time (less often then school shootings if anything). On the other hand, with a weapon on hand, they might be able to stop a rampage before it gets extremely ugly.

Heatware
Old 12-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #553
BladeVenom
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutHouse View Post
ever hear of a group of mental health Doctors called psychiatrists and Psychologist?
The Fort Hood shooter was a psychiatrist. He had been regularly evaluated by other psychiatrists.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #554
CVSiN
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eits View Post
no, they aren't the crazy ones. they're the average american.

other than that, i agree 100% with what you said.
If you truly believe that I feel sorry for you.
most of the Average Americans would flat wet their pants and freeze in fear before they would be able to pull that trigger.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)

Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #555
sixone
Lifer

Quote:
i don't hate freedom at all. that's why i think your idea of rounding up the crazies is a crazy idea.

you're free to protect yourself with guns and hunt with guns... but your choices should be limited to the kinds of guns allowed.

we, as a society, need to balance people's freedom to protect themselves and their belongings with the safety of innocent people. the only good idea is only allowing guns with limited capabilities. yeah, it may not be as fun for gun nuts, but at least it would decrease the number of people killed each year unnecessarily. that's why it's a win-win... public safety benefits and we can still protect ourselves and hunt if we so choose.
My freedom to choose a gun or guns should never be limited, until and unless I've demonstrated some sort of propensity to infringe on another person's freedom.

It's the crazies that are causing the problem, not all gun owners. If you want to solve the problem, go to the source. You wouldn't cut someone's foot off because they have a hangnail.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #556
eits
Lifer

Quote:
If you truly believe that I feel sorry for you.
most of the Average Americans would flat wet their pants and freeze in fear before they would be able to pull that trigger.
I don't know how else to explain it to you. The average American believe that. I'm not saying that they're right, just that's what people think.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #557
Blackjack200
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixone View Post
My freedom to choose a gun or guns should never be limited, until and unless I've demonstrated some sort of propensity to infringe on another person's freedom.

It's the crazies that are causing the problem, not all gun owners. If you want to solve the problem, go to the source. You wouldn't cut someone's foot off because they have a hangnail.
And what about my freedom to have automatic weapons? Why can't I buy an M240?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #558
sixone
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack200 View Post
And what about my freedom to have automatic weapons? Why can't I buy an M240?
No reason I can think of. As long as you don't threaten or harm anyone, you should be free to buy what you want.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #559
Blackjack200
Diamond Member

Quote:
No reason I can think of. As long as you don't threaten or harm anyone, you should be free to buy what you want.
Oh, I won't be doing that 'till I pull the trigger. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #560
onza
Diamond Member

I would like to be able to buy silencers so I can shoot without ear protection thank you very much. But... I can't.
Edited: 11/01/2004 at 09:21 PM by AnandTech Moderator
SC2: Lusid:160
Old 12-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #561
ghost recon88
Diamond Member

Old 12-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #562
CVSiN
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost recon88 View Post
this is truth... and around the world suicide bombers still take lives on a weekly basis using black market explosives.
you can outlaw things all you want, but the evil will always find a way.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)

Old 12-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #563
sixone
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack200 View Post
Oh, I won't be doing that 'till I pull the trigger. Thanks.
Doesn't sound like something a responsible gun owner would say.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #564
jhansman
Platinum Member

The feeble-minded will always blame the weapon and never the user. Several years ago in Japan, a man waded in to a crowd and manage to kill eight people with a knife before he was subdued. AFAIK, knives are still legally obtainable in Japan.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #565
eits
Lifer

Quote:

why not? your freedom to choose whatever killing machine you choose is only limited by the kinds that should be allowed. it's basically like saying you're allowed to drive whatever speed you want as long as it's not below 15 mph under the speed limit or above 5 mph over the speed limit. it's a matter of public safety.

you can't know who is crazy and who isn't. you don't know what causes people to snap from sane to crazy and you can't keep it from happening. you act as though people are either born crazy or they aren't, or that people don't just snap sometimes and make horrible life choices that go way too far.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #566
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

The assault begins. Apparently, I can has your guns.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...y.html?hpid=z1

Quote:
Manchin, Warner change stances on gun rights in wake of Newtown shootings

Quote:
As funerals began in Connecticut on Monday, there was further proof that Friday’s mass shooting has reawakened a long-dormant debate in Washington: whether, and how, to limit assault weapons like the one used by the gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Two prominent Democratic senators — both of whom had won support from gun-rights groups in the past — said the killings had changed long-held positions. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said they would be open to greater regulation of assault rifles.

“I’ve been a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights,” Warner said Monday outside the Virginia Capitol, where he was attending an unrelated meeting. “I’ve got an A rating from the NRA. But the status quo isn’t acceptable. I’ve got three daughters.”

“They asked me on Friday evening, ‘Dad, what are you gonna do about this?’ ” Warner added. “There’s got to be a way to put reasonable restrictions, particularly as we look at assault weapons, as we look at these fast clips of ammunition.”

Warner said his resolve to pursue a solution solidified over the weekend while attending a Washington Wizards game. Many people approached him to talk about the tragedy, in which a gunman with a military-style rifle killed 20 first-graders and seven adults.

“I must have had a half-dozen people come up — Colin Powell, actually,” Warner said. “People were just coming up and saying, ‘Hey, we’ve got to [do something].’ ”

Manchin, a conservative Democrat and National Rifle Association member, told MSNBC that the massacre of 20 children and seven adults made clear the need to consider new regulations on such weapons. Two other adults were wounded in the shooting and are recovering.

“I don’t know anyone in the sporting or hunting arena that goes out with an assault rifle,” Manchin said on “Morning Joe” on Monday. “I don’t know anyone that needs 30 rounds in a clip to go hunting.”

Manchin personifies the group of lawmakers who in the past have blocked efforts to impose stronger regulations on gun ownership. He got an A rating and an endorsement from the NRA in both the 2010 special election and 2012 general election for his seat. In a memorable campaign ad, he shot a copy of a cap-and-trade bill with a rifle.

But on Monday, he said the schoolhouse massacre “changed the dialogue, and it should move beyond dialogue. We need action.” The gun lobby, he said, should be part of that conversation.

“Never before have we seen our babies slaughtered,” Manchin said. “Anybody that’s a proud gun owner, anybody that’s a proud member of the NRA, we’re also proud parents. We’re also proud grandparents.”

In several places around the country Monday, police responded to threats — or perceived threats — at schools. The Associated Press reported that in Ridgefield, Conn., swarms of parents picked up their children at schools after a report of a suspicious person at a nearby train station.

Near Philadelphia, officers rushed to a high school after security officers mistook a student’s umbrella for a gun. And in Tampa, Fla., the Hillsborough County sheriff’s office questioned students after a bullet was found on a school bus.

And in Los Angeles, police said Monday that they had arrested a man and seized nine guns after he allegedly made threats on social media. Kyle Bangayan, 24, of Pomona was booked into the downtown jail Sunday for investigation of making criminal threats, police Cmdr. Andrew Smith told the AP. He remained in jail with bail set at $500,000.

Police and FBI agents went to the east Hollywood home of Bangayan’s father after a resident notified authorities about the threatening postings that referred to the deadly school shootings in Connecticut, Smith said.

“When we get information like this, we take it very seriously, even more so now in light of the Connecticut school shootings,” Smith told the AP.

Also Monday, a new Washington Post-ABC News poll showed that more than half of Americans see the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School last Friday as a sign of broader problems in society, not merely the isolated act of a troubled individual.

The finding reverses a recent trend in which the public saw mass shootings in Tucson and Aurora, Colo., as aberrations that did not reflect underlying problems in American culture.

But The Washington Post poll did not show a significant shift in public opinion on the gun issue itself. A clear majority of Americans continues to support a nationwide ban on high-capacity ammunition clips — the kind used at Sandy Hook last week, and in other recent high-profile killings. Just over half support banning semiautomatic handguns. At the same time, nearly three out of four Americans continue to oppose banning the sale of all handguns except to law enforcement officers.

President Obama, speaking Sunday night at a memorial service for the victims, did not mention guns specifically, but seemed to allude to a need for stronger gun-control laws, pledging to “use whatever power this office holds . . . in an effort aimed at preventing more tragedies like this.”

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) has vowed to introduce legislation to ban assault weapons at the start of the next Congress. Retiring Sen. Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.) has also called for reinstating the ban, which expired in 2004.

In Newtown, a picturesque town about an hour north of New York City, classes at all seven schools were canceled Monday. Teachers were meeting at the high school to prepare for the return Tuesday of students from all schools except Sandy Hook.

The kindergarten-through-fourth-grade school that was targeted will be closed indefinitely, Newtown’s school superintendent said, to allow families time to grieve and give administrators a chance to figure out how best to proceed.

The first funerals — for victims Noah Pozner and Jack Pinto — took place Monday arrangements compiled by the Connecticut Funeral Directors Association. All three boys were 6 years old.

State police Lt. Paul Vance told reporters that police continue to scour both the Sandy Hook school building and the home of gunman Adam Lanza. They are looking for evidence that will help them understand why Lanza allegedly killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, at home, then went to the school and gunned down 20 children and six adult staff members before taking his own life.

“We’re going to hold those locations until we’ve completed our work,” Vance said. “Every single round of ammunition will be looked at for any kind of physical evidence.”

Vance said two adults who were shot and wounded in the rampage are recovering from their injuries. He did not identify those victims or give details.

Police were investigating several potential threats that had been received regarding local churches and schools Monday. Two schools in nearby jurisdictions were locked down briefly while police investigated and cleared reports of possible threats.

“We’re all obviously on edge,” Vance said. “Anything that appears to be any breach of security, or a possible breach of security, will be treated very, very seriously.”

He said investigators are eager to speak to anyone who knew or treated Lanza, and to find out everything they can about him. So far, little is known except that he was very bright and socially awkward.

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy
Old 12-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #567
edro
Lifer

After this shakes out, we will be back with the Clinton era Assault Weapons ban.

You have to draw a line somewhere. 2nd Amendment has already been upheld by the Supreme Court as a citizen's right to personal protection with personal firearms.

The line has to be somewhere between a single shot .22LR hunting rifle and a nuclear warhead.
I am personally ok with a ban on high capacity magazines. (>10rds)
Old 12-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #568
eits
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost recon88 View Post
and, now, because of that, the fbi monitors everyone and the purchases that they make. the sale of certain amounts of chemicals or materials needed to make large explosives sets off red flags. also, something like this hasn't occurred in almost two decades.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #569
BladeVenom
Lifer

Quote:
this is truth... and around the world suicide bombers still take lives on a weekly basis using black market explosives.
you can outlaw things all you want, but the evil will always find a way.
48 people murdered by car bombs today in Iraq.

A car bomb killed 20 today in Pakistan.

At least they weren't shot.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #570
sixone
Lifer

Quote:
why not? your freedom to choose whatever killing machine you choose is only limited by the kinds that should be allowed. it's basically like saying you're allowed to drive whatever speed you want as long as it's not below 15 mph under the speed limit or above 5 mph over the speed limit. it's a matter of public safety.

you can't know who is crazy and who isn't. you don't know what causes people to snap from sane to crazy and you can't keep it from happening. you act as though people are either born crazy or they aren't, or that people don't just snap sometimes and make horrible life choices that go way too far.
It's not a "killing machine" until it actually kills someone. Guns can and are used frequently by people with no malicious intent whatsoever.

I love that you've equated guns with cars, though. Cars are far more dangerous to public safety than guns are - when they're misused.

People don't "snap from sane to crazy" with no warning. As we've already seen, as soon as the shooter's name is released, the media is flooded with people who knew something was wrong, but didn't do anything (or anything effective) about it. Until that changes, these things will keep happening - with guns or with other weapons.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #571
eits
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeVenom View Post
48 people murdered by car bombs today in Iraq.

A car bomb killed 20 today in Pakistan.

At least they weren't shot.
they're doing it for a completely different cause. they don't get gratification in watching their kills.

i refer back to a post i made last page:

Quote:
crazy people commit mass shootings for various reasons, but the more common reason they do it is because they can inflict more precise damage to people and gain a sense of power and importance in the world. they want to see and feel important. they can't feel important if they can't see what they are capable of doing because they're blown to bits. that's why you see them using guns at unsuspecting people rather than simply walking into a crowded airport terminal with a bomb and blowing themselves up at the security line.

the crazies who blow themselves up or hijack things do it because they believe in a cause that is greater than themselves, whether it be an ideology or religion or politics or whatever. they aren't concerned with seeing the damage they inflict because they are doing it for something they feel is important.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #572
BladeVenom
Lifer

Quote:
and, now, because of that, the fbi monitors everyone and the purchases that they make. the sale of certain amounts of chemicals or materials needed to make large explosives sets off red flags. also, something like this hasn't occurred in almost two decades.
You can still buy fertilizer at the hardware store. Maybe if you start ordering tons of the stuff it might set of red flags. But as long as you purchase in reasonable quantities, you can easily buy everything you need to make explosives.

James Holmes had 30 bombs in his apartment, and 10 gallons of gasoline.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #573
sixone
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edro View Post
After this shakes out, we will be back with the Clinton era Assault Weapons ban.
It'll never pass the House.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #574
eits
Lifer

Quote:
It's not a "killing machine" until it actually kills someone. Guns can and are used frequently by people with no malicious intent whatsoever.

I love that you've equated guns with cars, though. Cars are far more dangerous to public safety than guns are - when they're misused.

People don't "snap from sane to crazy" with no warning. As we've already seen, as soon as the shooter's name is released, the media is flooded with people who knew something was wrong, but didn't do anything (or anything effective) about it. Until that changes, these things will keep happening - with guns or with other weapons.
lol the fuck it isn't. what is it then? it certainly wasn't designed to be a decoration.

a gun's only purpose is to kill. that's it. that's what it's made for. it isn't made to do your taxes or drive your kids to school or spread butter on toast... it's made to kill. it is, therefore, a killing machine... a machine used to kill.

and people do snap from sane to crazy all the time. you're telling me you've never been under so much stress that you've just snapped and acted in a completely uncharacteristic and embarrassing way? most people have. people snap.

i'm not saying that these shooters were sane before they carried out their killing rampages, but i'm saying that you can't simply expect that sane people won't go crazy at some point. under the right conditions, people lose their shit... it's just a fact of human nature.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #575
eits
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeVenom View Post
You can still buy fertilizer at the hardware store. Maybe if you start ordering tons of the stuff it might set of red flags. But as long as you purchase in reasonable quantities, you can easily buy everything you need to make explosives.

James Holmes had 30 bombs in his apartment, and 10 gallons of gasoline.
john holmes was way before 1995.
Closed Thread