Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #51
Kaido
Lifer

Found a goldmine of mSATA adapters:

http://www.pc-adapter.net/categories/0/0/17/1.html

It looks like eBay seller "sintech-adapter" has these available (ships from China). They also have a USB to mSATA adapter for $26 (eBay search: "SB micro SATA cable+Mini PCIe mSATA 3x5 SSD to micro SATA Adapter+screw driver"), which will be useful for loading images from my master comp. Or be lazy and go PXE
Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #52
rifken2

Any links or leads on a USB-IR do-hickey that works with a Harmony remote? I would really like to try this out for a XBMC build for a friend...
rifken2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #53
OVerLoRDI
Diamond Member

This is such a cool little piece of hardware. It makes me want to part out my water cooled 7970, 2550k, "htpc" and replace it with this.

It's original purpose was a second pc for friends to game, but having a real job severely limits that purpose, so it is complete over kill and a waste of money.

One thing I'm curious about is how well this thing handles SVP. I might have to wait until Haswell to see a low power htpc handle that properly.
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=73710
OVerLoRDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #54
Kaido
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifken2 View Post
Any links or leads on a USB-IR do-hickey that works with a Harmony remote? I would really like to try this out for a XBMC build for a friend...
Yup, HP one for $24:

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-REMOTE-CON.../dp/B004PXJGXU

Reviewer says it works great with Win7 MCE + his Harmony One remote. Also confirmed to wake from sleep:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64487

Give it a shot and let us know if it does the job!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #55
Kaido
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVerLoRDI View Post
This is such a cool little piece of hardware. It makes me want to part out my water cooled 7970, 2550k, "htpc" and replace it with this.

It's original purpose was a second pc for friends to game, but having a real job severely limits that purpose, so it is complete over kill and a waste of money.

One thing I'm curious about is how well this thing handles SVP. I might have to wait until Haswell to see a low power htpc handle that properly.
Yeah, I have piles of HTPC stuff sitting around - Patriot Box Office, Tivo, Antec NSK2400 with a Micro-ATX, casemod with a Mini-ITX, blah blah blah. This could be "the solution" for me...I use a WDTV Live Streaming, which is great, but I do miss light gaming (love me some emulators), so I can throw XBMC + Hyperspin on here, plus a couple wireless Xbox 360 remotes, and be in business!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #56
benjamintm

Quote:
I'm using an original Microsoft MCE IR receiver and it comes out of sleep without a problem when I hit the "sleep" button on the MCE remote. This gives me a discrete on as I use Event Ghost and this service to intercept all IR when the system is up. If I accidentally hit the suspend key, EG ignores it.

I set up a discrete off functionality by re-purposing the Windows MCE Messenger IR signal from the Windows MCE keyboard to tell have EG send the system to suspend.

Works great and I think should work with just about any IR receiver on Windows.

Ben
benjamintm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #57
faithie999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaido View Post
Yeah, I have piles of HTPC stuff sitting around - Patriot Box Office, Tivo, Antec NSK2400 with a Micro-ATX, casemod with a Mini-ITX, blah blah blah. This could be "the solution" for me...I use a WDTV Live Streaming, which is great, but I do miss light gaming (love me some emulators), so I can throw XBMC + Hyperspin on here, plus a couple wireless Xbox 360 remotes, and be in business!
kaido--thanks for all of your great info in this thread, altho you have given all of us lots of links that if we follow, we'll end up buying lots of stuff!!

i picked up the thunderbolt version, and with a dsdt plus modded appleframebuffercapri.kext from a thread at tonymac, a ML-modded appleintelcpumanagement.kext, and Graphics Mode 1920x1080x32 boot flag, i'm up and running on mountain lion, altho sleep doesn't work yet. with the modded framebuffer kext, HDMI, including audio, works both from the HDMI port and from the tbolt port, using a mini display port to HDMI dongle. i also have tested an HDMI to DVI dongle, for use if one doesn't have an HDMI monitor. that works fine, but of course for audio one would need to use a USB audio dongle ($1 on ebay on most days).

for networking, i started out with an apple usb--ethernet dongle, but learned that iCloud (and maybe face time; haven't checked that) can't deal with non-built-in, even with the ethernet builtin boot flag set in chameleon. so, i popped in an atheros-chipped wifi 1/2 height mini-pci-e card, and it was natively recognized by ML. I was then able to log into icloud. finally, for now, i'm using an external SATA HD, which seems to be fast enough at the moment for use as an HTPC. when SSD prices come down, i may take the leap.

my question is: all the intel literature for the tbolt version touts 2 headers on the mobo--a front panel header and a usb header. but, at least on my mobo, the FP header is stuffed but the USB header is printed but not stuffed. do i have a mutant (doubt it!) or do you have any insight as to whether intel changed the spec after issuing documentation? i was hoping to have used the USB header to connect a BT module that i salvaged from a macbook, but instead i am using a usb BT dongle.

thanks

ken

Last edited by faithie999; 12-17-2012 at 12:08 PM.
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #58
benjamintm

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithie999 View Post
my question is: all the intel literature for the tbolt version touts 2 headers on the mobo--a front panel header and a usb header. but, at least on my mobo, the FP header is stuffed but the USB header is printed but not stuffed. do i have a mutant (doubt it!) or do you have any insight as to whether intel changed the spec after issuing documentation?
I just checked with my non-TB version and the internal USB header is not stuffed, which is odd as it's shown as stuffed in at least some of the literature.

Ben
Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #59
faithie999

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamintm View Post
I just checked with my non-TB version and the internal USB header is not stuffed, which is odd as it's shown as stuffed in at least some of the literature.

Ben
at the end of their design cycle, intel must have been 5 cents over their target for cost of goods so they deleted one socket from the design!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #60
alfa147x
Lifer

stuffed = headers mounted vs solder points?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #61
faithie999

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa147x View Post
stuffed = headers mounted vs solder points?
i may be using the wrong terminology, but what i meant is that the circuit board has solder pads for the 9 pins in the usb connector, but the connector is not there.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #62
Dirigible
Diamond Member

I've been using the dual-hdmi version for a bit over a week now as one of my htpcs. Been very happy with it. Dang thing is tiny.

I may not have watched live tv from my cablecard hdhomerun prime yet. I will and test if it gets any pixelation or other issues. While streaming blu ray rips and previously recorded shows from my home server and streaming netflix, it has had no issues.

Been missing from my area for years.
Dirigible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #63
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigible View Post
I've been using the dual-hdmi version for a bit over a week now as one of my htpcs. Been very happy with it. Dang thing is tiny.

I may not have watched live tv from my cablecard hdhomerun prime yet. I will and test if it gets any pixelation or other issues. While streaming blu ray rips and previously recorded shows from my home server and streaming netflix, it has had no issues.
Very interested in hearing about the cable card. I have never used one before and am considering getting one of these, and that would definitely be an addition I was considering.
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #64
Dirigible
Diamond Member

I've been using the Silicondust HDHomeRun Prime for over a year now. Used their non-cablecard HDHomeRun before that. It's a great device. Plug it into my router and all my computers with media center are now cable boxes with all my channels.

I've got an htpc for each tv, which provides all the video for the tv, plus it's nice to be able to open a windows media center window and have a football game or whatever playing while I work at home on my computer. One computer acts as a dvr and does all the tv recording, and all the rest of the computers can access the recorded shows, plus blu ray and dvd rips. Easy to access my recorded shows while traveling for work, too.

Note that some channels may have flags that prevent other computers from seeing recorded shows. I'm lucky in that none of my channels do. HBO and the like might.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #65
benjamintm

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamintm View Post

Ben
Per Intel customer support and the literature I linked to, the USB header is only available on the motherboard SKU. Complete kits (case, MB, and power) does not come with the internal USB header. Strange they did it differently, but it shouldn't be hard to solder in one.

Ben
Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #66
rifken2

Any resolve on a wireless card? I want to order one of these for my mother. She will use her cell phone as a hot spot for internet and I need a solid wireless solution.
rifken2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #67
Emulex
Diamond Member

so does this completely dust the refurb mac mini? Can you hackintosh this to run osx too? Just curious on the value compared to a refurb mac mini
Browser: Dell 530 Q6600 4GB - Kingston 96gb -gt240- hp LP3065 IPS - 7ult
Tabs: IPAD 1,2,3 IPOD3,HTC flyer, Galaxy Tab - all rooted/jb
Couch1: Macbook Air/Macbook White
Couch2: Macbook Pro 17 2.66 Matte screen - 8GB - SSD
HTPC: Asus C2Q8300/X25-V - Geforce 430- 7ult - Antec MicroFusion 350
Emulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #68
jalaram
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulex View Post
so does this completely dust the refurb mac mini? Can you hackintosh this to run osx too? Just curious on the value compared to a refurb mac mini
According to Kaido, you can hack it easily. It just helps to have the right wireless card. I too was curious about the value compared to the refurb Mac Mini (as low as $469 base).

IMO, the current base level wins because that one has USB 3.0 (and more ports) and a faster cpu.

This one will win on size, VESA mounting ability, HD speed because of the SSD, and power usage I think.

"My friends call me Keith, but you can call me John."-Keith Moon
Heatware: 2xx-0-0
jalaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #69
faithie999

Quote:
Any resolve on a wireless card? I want to order one of these for my mother. She will use her cell phone as a hot spot for internet and I need a solid wireless solution.
you want an atheros AR9285, which also goes by the designation of AR5B95. make sure it's a half-height card, so you can use the full-height slot in the NUC for an SSD.

here's one on ebay right now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atheros-AR5B...item19d35baa10

i popped one of these in my NUC yesterday. rebooted, opened system preferences--network, and wifi showed up. i just needed to select a wifi network and password, and all was well.

in my experience, some other cards work in OS X, but they are not recognized as apple hardware, so you need a wifi configuration utility from the vendor (ralink, realtek, etc) that supplied the chip to the wifi card mfr in order to use them. i have found, however, that intel-branded cards don't seem to work in os x at all.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #70
FriendlyGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithie999 View Post
you want an atheros AR9285, which also goes by the designation of AR5B95. make sure it's a half-height card, so you can use the full-height slot in the NUC for an SSD.

here's one on ebay right now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atheros-AR5B...item19d35baa10
Do You know of any other Atheros-cards, maybe with Bluetooth on-board?

Thanks in advance
FriendlyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #71
Dirigible
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaido View Post
I saw that in a couple reviews, but haven't seen it myself (yet). The original problem seems to be due to the Intel Wifi/BT chip they recommend...it causes network slowdowns & network lockups during large data transfers on the Thunderbolt model, including over Ethernet - but when the Wifi card was removed, Ethernet went back to normal (they think it's heat-related). I went with a third-party Wifi chip anyway due to Mac compatibility. I'll do some more testing & report back if I encounter any hiccups.

On the HTPC review with the pixelation, that may be due to either the Wifi chip or to a lack of driver support for their current operating system...tough to tell without more detailed information. So far it's handling everything I throw at it, but I don't have any tuners available for testing, so I can't comment much on that. I'd be interested to know more...

And definitely, an i5 model with USB 3.0 would open a lot of doors...that'd make a killer server with some 4TB external drives! And they're 22nm chips now, so I wouldn't say an i7 would be out of the question for maybe a 4th-gen CPU.
I am getting bad pixelation when watching live TV from my HDHomeRun Prime over wired ethernet. Issue doesn't exist when streaming recorded shows, blu ray rips, or other stuff. Annoying weakness.

Going to try a USB ethernet dongle. Will be happy if it works, because hey it works! And I'd rather have it work than not work. Will be angry if it works, since such a thing shouldn't be needed.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #72
faithie999

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyGhost View Post

Thanks in advance
wish i'd thought of that!!

i have an HP probook 4530s, hacked on 10.8.2. it has a combo wifi/bt card, the atheros AR5B195.

i just borrowed it from the probook and put it into the nuc. i downloaded kexts from http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?d...id=2628&page=2

both wifi and BT worked. there may be an issue with BT not persisting after sleep, but i don't have sleep working on the NUC yet so i can't test that. this issue is noted in the comments on the osx86 page.

there is an ample supply of these wifi/bt cards on ebay, most around $10 with free shipping. make sure you buy a half-height card.

note in the comments on the osx86 page that you might have to do some fiddling with vendor id/device id in one or more of the kexts, depending on which card you end up with. in my experience, you may have to put the card into a windows or linux setup to properly read the vendor and device id's.

bottom line is that it's worth $10 to try it! the worst case is that BT doesn't work as you'd like it, but wifi will still work and you'll pay $10 for a wifi-only card.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #73
hans007
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyGhost View Post

Thanks in advance
ab

Last edited by hans007; 12-23-2012 at 07:42 AM.
hans007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #74
faithie999

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
the AR9285 has BT onboard.

i have one sitting on my desk right now that sadly doesnt work in my HP probook as it doesnt have an HP firmware. if anyone wants it for their intel NUC, well you can hit me up $7 and ill ship it to you.
i may be wrong, but i believe the AR9285 card is only wifi.

the AR5B195 wifi/BT card (which is what i have in my probook) is a combination of the AR9285 wifi chip and the AR3011 bluetooth chip. maybe what you have is the combo card.

you are right that a non-hp-branded AR9285 won't allow the probook to boot. i was planning on using the combo card from my probook in the NUC, and using a spare AR9285 from my parts bin in the probook, where i don't need BT. however, the AR9285 i have isn't HP-branded so it's not on the probook's whitelist.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #75
Kaido
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigible View Post
I am getting bad pixelation when watching live TV from my HDHomeRun Prime over wired ethernet. Issue doesn't exist when streaming recorded shows, blu ray rips, or other stuff. Annoying weakness.

Going to try a USB ethernet dongle. Will be happy if it works, because hey it works! And I'd rather have it work than not work. Will be angry if it works, since such a thing shouldn't be needed.
Does your NUC have a Wifi card in it? If so, is it the Intel model?

I'm assuming your other computers on Ethernet don't get pixelation while watching live TV? I'm hoping it's a chipset driver type of thing that can be solved with a software fix if so. Seems like a very specific problem.