Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
boomhower
Diamond Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,658
Default Looking for a used full sized SUV UPDATE: bought it

As a preface I am full aware a minivan is a more economical choice, I still don't want one.

I'm looking for a used full size SUV at sub $10k. The kids are getting bigger and our cars are just getting cramped. So I'm looking for something big enough I put the kids and dogs into and just hit the road. Right now the Toyota Sequoia is peaking my interest. Not a bunch around in that price range but a local dealer has one with 120k that looks really nice. Plus it's something different than all the Expidition's and Tahoe's out there. Any suggestions?
__________________
heat

Last edited by boomhower; 12-22-2012 at 05:22 PM.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
SpatiallyAware
Lifer
 
SpatiallyAware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,960
Default

In that price range vehicle condition trumps make/model.


I would probably get an explorer or expedition at <$10k.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Fmr12B
Diamond Member
 
Fmr12B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,651
Default

Tahoe/Suburban - Repairs are cheap and there engines/trans are very reliable.
Fmr12B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member
 
EagleKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bumps west of Denver
Posts: 42,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmr12B View Post
Tahoe/Suburban - Repairs are cheap and there engines/trans are very reliable.
$10K will put you in the low 2000's for that or a decent Expedition.

You are talking about a $40K vehicle with a %50 value cut every 5-7 years.

A dealer will be trying to squeeze an extra $5-7K from you based on condition.

/edit - decade correction
thanks to posters below for catching it.
__________________
F15 Air Superiority Fighter - Never has one been lost in aerial combat (104 kills)

Last edited by EagleKeeper; 12-18-2012 at 09:52 AM.
EagleKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Throckmorton
Lifer
 
Throckmorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 16,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleKeeper View Post
$10K will put you in the low-mid 1990's for that or a decent Expedition.

You are talking about a $40K vehicle with a %50 value cut every 5-7 years.

A dealer will be trying to squeeze an extra $5-7K from you based on condition.

No, early 2000s Expeditions are like $4000. Why would you think they're so valuable?

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3485444710.html
__________________
K&N air filter = 45x as much dirt in your engine (working link)
http://i52.tinypic.com/50lf0y.gif
"It has already been proven that the concept of a "living wage" is a liberal fantasy." - Patranus
Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Insomniator
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: jersey
Posts: 5,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
No, early 2000s Expeditions are like $4000. Why would you think they're so valuable?

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3485444710.html
this is what i was thinking... 8 MPG vehicles aren't in high demand lol
Insomniator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member
 
EagleKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bumps west of Denver
Posts: 42,600
Default

Typo on my part

Off by 10 years.

Thanks for pointing it out
__________________
F15 Air Superiority Fighter - Never has one been lost in aerial combat (104 kills)
EagleKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
CraigRT
Lifer
 
CraigRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 31,443
Default

There is not much in the realm of full size SUV's outside of North American makes. (That are any good at least)
I think if I were to get a fullsize I'd look for a Yukon or Tahoe. Or a Suburban for even more size.
__________________
My Cannondale
My Specialized
CraigRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
JCH13
Diamond Member
 
JCH13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 4,396
Default

I would go for the Suburban option. IIRC Fords from that era can have serious rust issues. May or may not matter depending on where you are.
__________________
2009 Mazdaspeed3 - DD
1991 Turbo Miata - Toy
1991 NA MR2 - Other Toy

Experience is knowing you were an idiot. Common sense is trying not be an idiot. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot. -QC
JCH13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
mafia
Golden Member
 
mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,513
Default

2004-2006 VW Touareg. Built alongside the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7, same platform. Locking-differentials middle and rear, AWD, air suspension, uses parts from Bentley and Audi, top quality German engineering. We own one. Very reliable if you maintain it well. Also, get the V10 TDI one, gets 17 MPG EPA city and has 553 pound-feet of torque (though the V10 ones are pretty expensive used, you can get a V6 or V8 for just a bit more than 10k i believe. We bought ours with 41k miles for 11.5k. Full maintenance records and everything.)

Edit: Also haz a 12 year factory rust warranty! We drive it in Chicago roads with heavy snows and massive use of salt, still no rust! GERMAN!

Edit 2: Yeah okay, it will be hard to find one of these for $10k with low miles. But if you don't care about mileage and have some money for maintenance, this is an awesome vehicle!
__________________
“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” -Jeremy Clarkson
"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

Last edited by mafia; 12-18-2012 at 03:57 PM.
mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
phucheneh
Diamond Member
 
phucheneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post
I would probably get an explorer or expedition at <$10k.
For less than 10k, I would get anything other than an Explorer or Expedition. Unless you want to go ahead and set aside a few grand for repairs. Also rental companies charge a lot for SUV's, should you need one while yours is down for a trans rebuild.
phucheneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member
 
EagleKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bumps west of Denver
Posts: 42,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafia View Post
2004-2006 VW Touareg. Built alongside the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7, same platform. Locking-differentials middle and rear, AWD, air suspension, uses parts from Bentley and Audi, top quality German engineering. We own one. Very reliable if you maintain it well. Also, get the V10 TDI one, gets 17 MPG EPA city and has 553 pound-feet of torque (though the V10 ones are pretty expensive used, you can get a V6 or V8 for just a bit more than 10k i believe. We bought ours with 41k miles for 11.5k. Full maintenance records and everything.)

Edit: Also haz a 12 year factory rust warranty! We drive it in Chicago roads with heavy snows and massive use of salt, still no rust! GERMAN!

Edit 2: Yeah okay, it will be hard to find one of these for $10k with low miles. But if you don't care about mileage and have some money for maintenance, this is an awesome vehicle!

Do they have the capacity that the OP desires?
__________________
F15 Air Superiority Fighter - Never has one been lost in aerial combat (104 kills)
EagleKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
boomhower
Diamond Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,658
Default

A high mileage VW isn't something I want to get into. Domestics are certainly on the table. I've always been a Ford guy but the Expeditions just don't do it for me. Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban are certainly on the table. Why can't the domestics use leather that doesn't turn into garbage so quick? Many good trucks otherwise are ruined do to crap leather.
__________________
heat
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
halik
Lifer
 
halik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 25,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
As a preface I am full aware a minivan is a more economical choice, I still don't want one.

I'm looking for a used full size SUV at sub $10k. The kids are getting bigger and our cars are just getting cramped. So I'm looking for something big enough I put the kids and dogs into and just hit the road. Right now the Toyota Sequoia is peaking my interest. Not a bunch around in that price range but a local dealer has one with 120k that looks really nice. Plus it's something different than all the Expidition's and Tahoe's out there. Any suggestions?
How many kids and dogs do you have? How about a Dodge Magnum?

I would contend that 90% of people that say they want a full size SUV don't actually want a full size SUV... they just see that as the only alternative to minivans.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamurAchzar View Post
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.

Last edited by halik; 12-18-2012 at 06:11 PM.
halik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #15
boomhower
Diamond Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halik View Post
How many kids and dogs do you have? How about a Dodge Magnum?

I would contend that 90% of people that say they want a full size SUV don't actually want a full size SUV... they just see that as the only alternative to minivans.
Kids are 6 and 13 along with a 55lb English Bull and a 110lb(going on 180lb) Mastiff. The idea is take out the third row, add a partion with half dog and half luggage. It's impossible to find someone to house sit the dogs and I hate having to plan so far in advance to do something do to having to make boarding arrangements. I just want to be able to load up and go.
__________________
heat
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #16
thedarkwolf
Diamond Member
 
thedarkwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,293
Default

Have you considered the lift over height in the rear of these things yet? Will this 180lb mastiff be willing/able to jump high enough to get into one of these SUV? What about when he is too old to do so?
__________________
Peter: "Just don't forget our deal, Lois. I sit through this and later tonight I get anal. You hear me? No matter how neat I want the house you have to clean it."
Family Guy
thedarkwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #17
boomhower
Diamond Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkwolf View Post
Have you considered the lift over height in the rear of these things yet? Will this 180lb mastiff be willing/able to jump high enough to get into one of these SUV? What about when he is too old to do so?
Good point. Collapsable ATV ramp? Certainly food for though.
__________________
heat
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
halik
Lifer
 
halik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 25,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
Kids are 6 and 13 along with a 55lb English Bull and a 110lb(going on 180lb) Mastiff. The idea is take out the third row, add a partion with half dog and half luggage. It's impossible to find someone to house sit the dogs and I hate having to plan so far in advance to do something do to having to make boarding arrangements. I just want to be able to load up and go.
Mastif... yeah you'll actually need something big. Expedition sized SUV would probably do; they did make diesel Excursions while back also (low/mid 20s mpg on the highway).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamurAchzar View Post
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.
halik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
WackyDan
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
A high mileage VW isn't something I want to get into. Domestics are certainly on the table. I've always been a Ford guy but the Expeditions just don't do it for me. Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban are certainly on the table. Why can't the domestics use leather that doesn't turn into garbage so quick? Many good trucks otherwise are ruined do to crap leather.
Or it wasn't crap leather... It just was never taken care of.
__________________
Lenovo M57p, T61 and W510 ThinkPads.
2008 Can Am Spyder with Givi side and top hard cases. The ultimate touring setup.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #20
leper84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 624
Default

I'd say stick with either an Expedition or a Tahoe. Both are similarly reliable in the age/price range you're looking at and both share parts with their truck brethren so finding parts will be cheap & easy.

I'd shy away from a toyota that age. They will break just as much, and they'll cost more to fix.
leper84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
OVerLoRDI
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,344
Default

Toyota Sequoia.

Otherwise, Suburban
__________________
TROOPER: Caselabs M8, i5 3570k, 16gb DDR3, 2x7970, X-1050
TARDIS: 750D, i5 2550k, 8gb DDR3, 7970, AX850, 8TB storage
CUBE: INWIN BQS656, Celeron something?, 4gb RAM, 32gb SSD
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=73710
OVerLoRDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #22
boomhower
Diamond Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,658
Default

I think I may have found a winner. I went to look at the Sequoia and it had been sold. They had a 2001 Suburban 4WD that was pretty loaded. It had leather(In good shape!), quad buckets with third row bench, and barn doors on the back. It road good and drove good. Everything worked that should except a couple smalls things they are fixing. Price is $8900 which isn't a smoking deal by any means but seems to be fair from all the price guides I've looked at.
__________________
heat
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #23
virtuamike
Diamond Member
 
virtuamike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 7,823
Default

2004 Nissan Armada?
__________________
www.blindmike.com
virtuamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #24
boomhower
Diamond Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuamike View Post
2004 Nissan Armada?
Not in my area, $12k and up. I really like them but to high. I'm really thinking of getting the Suburban. Any thoughts guys?
__________________
heat

Last edited by boomhower; 12-20-2012 at 08:35 AM.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #25
DeviousTrap
Diamond Member
 
DeviousTrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I think I may have found a winner. I went to look at the Sequoia and it had been sold. They had a 2001 Suburban 4WD that was pretty loaded. It had leather(In good shape!), quad buckets with third row bench, and barn doors on the back. It road good and drove good. Everything worked that should except a couple smalls things they are fixing. Price is $8900 which isn't a smoking deal by any means but seems to be fair from all the price guides I've looked at.
How many miles?

They're solid trucks, but that price seems a bit high from a quick craigslist search of my area. Not really a huge price difference between 2001s and 2004s and 10 might even buy a decent 2005. I think I'd just have a problem paying 9k for a truck that's basically 12 years old
__________________
Telnap Internet Services

Last edited by DeviousTrap; 12-20-2012 at 01:37 PM.
DeviousTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.