· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
synoptic12

Default "Can You Import 'Same' Files Twice": Sony Dsc-Wx150

I'm seeking assistance in reference to the above. I imported files using a USB cable to my PC. However, I edited some video, and wished to again import files using USB. This function could not be performed with the USB cable. I disengaged the memory card and inserted the memory card into the express slot card reader on my PC. In this fashion, was I able to import the 'same' files. Is this the only way of performing the re-introduction of the 'same' files? Any and all replies welcome. Thank you.
synoptic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
kbp

Depends on the "import" software.

kbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
synoptic12

Your message is truly misleading, and really has no relevance to my question.
(A) I stated that I can import files, (pictures & videos), using a USB cable via my camera. "There is no import software", that you speak.
(B) I can transfer files (many times), using the memory card, via my express slot in PC.
1. I cannot transfer 'files' more than one time as using a USB connection.
Really, I have no idea what you are speaking of.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
kbp

Ahhh - I use Nikon Transfer which gives me options. I too import files using USB to my PC. The relivance to your question is some sort of software IS importing the pictures to your PC. It's not magic dust!

Old 12-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
synoptic12

Yes, forgive me on not recognizing the import option, in which you are correct. I use the Sony software import options. The 'option' I have selected is "import all videos and images". I see you are working with Canon, and you may not be familiar with Sony.
Irrespective of this, (import software), why will the memory card continue to transfer the same files, for as many times as I insert the card? Would this be that the card carries no software, and in that, the card will transfer the 'same' files over, and over again?
If you, or anyone knows, which setting would allow me to re-introduce the same images via the USB cable, please post. Thank you very much for your assistance.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Fardringle
Diamond Member

The card just stores the information for the pictures and videos, the same way that the hard drive in your computer just stores your programs and files. The file transfer software that you use decides which files will be transferred (and how). It sounds like your Sony import program is 'remembering' that it already imported those files so it is skipping them because they are duplicates. If the program doesn't have an option to re-import duplicates, then you either need to use a different program or just use a card reader to copy the files directly from the memory card.
"Greendale is a bodaciously small town, Lane... I can't even Find-A-Drug here!" - Charles De Mar (Better Off Dead)
"I did not have BOINC relations with that woman, Rosetta@Home!" - Bill Clinton
Fardringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
kbp

Ok....Now we are getting somewhere. My transfer software in the preferance tab gives me options such as, do not import duplicate file names, delete origanal files after import.
Not sure about Sony but, look for a preferance folder and see if it gives any options on how and where to transfer your photo's. If nothing else, After you transfer photo's format the memory card in the camera when done. This will give you a clean slate (or card) to restart from.

And I am 100% Nikon.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
synoptic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp View Post
Ok....Now we are getting somewhere. My transfer software in the preferance tab gives me options such as, do not import duplicate file names, delete origanal files after import.
Not sure about Sony but, look for a preferance folder and see if it gives any options on how and where to transfer your photo's. If nothing else, After you transfer photo's format the memory card in the camera when done. This will give you a clean slate (or card) to restart from.

And I am 100% Nikon.
Would the 'preference' settings be in the camera settings, or on the PC settings? There is no camera settings for preference (PC).
Old 12-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
synoptic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardringle View Post
The card just stores the information for the pictures and videos, the same way that the hard drive in your computer just stores your programs and files. The file transfer software that you use decides which files will be transferred (and how). It sounds like your Sony import program is 'remembering' that it already imported those files so it is skipping them because they are duplicates. If the program doesn't have an option to re-import duplicates, then you either need to use a different program or just use a card reader to copy the files directly from the memory card.
Yes, that is "precisely" the issue. You have exactly defined the question in full detail. So, if there is no option, as you specify, I cannot import again. No big deal, I was just interested in knowing. I can easily insert the MEMORY CARD to import the same files again. Thank you for your appreciated technical support, as you have answered my question.