· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
HNNstyle

Default Help!! Too Much Artic Silver

I put too much Article Silver on my CPU and it's all over the place now including my mobo pins. Some of it even got under the CPU pins. I'm trying to clean it now with a napkin. Is there anything I could do to clean this up faster or something I should be aware of as I clean?
HNNstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Idontcare
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNNstyle View Post
I put too much Article Silver on my CPU and it's all over the place now including my mobo pins. Some of it even got under the CPU pins. I'm trying to clean it now with a napkin. Is there anything I could do to clean this up faster or something I should be aware of as I clean?
Be careful with the napkin, if you have an LGA style mobo where the pins are actually in the CPU socket then it will snag the pins and ruin the socket.

That said, the artic silver is not electrically conductive. You could bath your cpu and motherboard in it and nothing bad would happen.

It will come up most easily with 91% IPA, a standard rubbing alcohol you can buy at any drugstore/grocery store/pharmacy.

I use to fill my CPU socket with artic silver ceramique as a precaution to prevent ice buildup on the pins when I was cooling my CPU with a vaporphase cooler (-50C), made a mess of the socket but it worked fine even at room-temperature with air coolers afterwards.
Idontcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
HNNstyle

OK thanks. Lol.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
HNNstyle

I was actually using article clean material #1 on the underside of my CPU i7 3770k and the parts that I used it on is shinier than the rest. Is this a problem? I'm going to the store to get some isoprople alcohol right now.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Idontcare
Administrator
Elite Member

Artic clean is ok but it will leave a film, the film itself is easily removed with IPA.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
HNNstyle

I just put everything back together but there is a problem. Bios booted up for about 10 seconds then my PC shut off or rather it all went black. So I opened up my PC and none of the fans connected to my mobo are on. What do you guys think I should do to narrow down the problem or is my problem a fried motherboard?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
Kenmitch
Diamond Member

I guess it's possible you damaged your MB or CPU if you didn't clean it good enough.

Quote:
Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)
Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
HNNstyle

It's alive!!!! I hope it stays on this time though. Lol

I love you guys! Thanks for all the help.

I think it was something I didn't plug in all the way.

Edit: I was type with my Samsung S3, so it my typing might seem way off with periods all over the place.

Last edited by HNNstyle; 12-14-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
guskline
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
Be careful with the napkin, if you have an LGA style mobo where the pins are actually in the CPU socket then it will snag the pins and ruin the socket.

That said, the artic silver is not electrically conductive. You could bath your cpu and motherboard in it and nothing bad would happen.

It will come up most easily with 91% IPA, a standard rubbing alcohol you can buy at any drugstore/grocery store/pharmacy.

I use to fill my CPU socket with artic silver ceramique as a precaution to prevent ice buildup on the pins when I was cooling my CPU with a vaporphase cooler (-50C), made a mess of the socket but it worked fine even at room-temperature with air coolers afterwards.
Excellent suggestion. I think part of any computer "enthusiast's" equipment should be a bottle of 91% Isoprophyl Alcohol. I keep some Q tips and some of my wife's makeup cotton pads on hand for clean up. Decent roll of paper towel helps also.
3930k @ 4.6 -Asus SbTh X79 - Custom WC - MO-RA3 Pro-420 + RX 360+XSPC-Sapphire R9-290 Tri-X-EK blocks/bridge -16G (4x4 quad)DDR3-2133 - Intel 530 SSD - 2560x1440 Achieva Shimian - Win 8.1 - PC P&C 1200W Silencer Mk III
guskline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
GLeeM
Elite Member

Coffee filter paper is better than napkin or paper towel. Leaves less lint behind.

i7 920, 3.95 Ghz, HT on, P6T Deluxe V2
43,000+ hours PrimeGrid stable
GLeeM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
Idontcare
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmitch View Post
I guess it's possible you damaged your MB or CPU if you didn't clean it good enough.
That is a pure CYA type disclaimer because all material, from air to water to the PCB to the CPU to the AS5, are "slightly capacitive".

There is not material in existence that is completely non-polarizable, i.e. ALL material exhibits some degree of capacitance under the influence of an externally applied electric field.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Idontcare
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLeeM View Post
Coffee filter paper is better than napkin or paper towel. Leaves less lint behind.
I do initial/bulk cleanup with paper towels, final touch-ups with coffee filters, for exactly the reasons you highlight.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
BonzaiDuck
Diamond Member

Ordinarily, excess AS5 can be cleaned off relatively smooth surfaces with isopropyl and a fine cloth, maybe nylon stocking or a napkin.

If there are solder pins on small parts that have become contaminated I only guess that there's still some risk of conductive-material contamination if you can't reach every nook and cranny.

I once used an Arctic conductive epoxy, and got a little on the pins of a mobo chip for custom application of a small heatsink. I thought I'd cleaned it all before the epoxy set.

The motherboard continued to function normally, but eventually "went south" -- for any number of reasons which could include some residual epoxy contamination which wasn't visible to the naked eye. And my own naked eye isn't all that better for a good set of glasses . . . .
BonzaiDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
bryanl

Alcohol in spray form (aerosol can or much cheaper pump bottle) is convenient for cleaning this. Hold the motherboard upside down and spray. Repeat until blotting with a piece of white paper shows no stains. Follow precautions against static discharge.

Arctic Silver is conductive, despite what an ohms measurement will show.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote