· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #26
Throckmorton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
I believe that corroded connectors are a waste of energy, but whether they work well enough is dependent on the application and the type of connector.

A dry connection "obviously" being better is just the immediate observation, true only for some cases. A Faston connection is designed to scrape away corrosion so you damn well better believe I think grease isn't going to matter at all for a connection like that.

EDIT: Wait, are we arguing or agreeing?
You think corroded connectors are a waste of energy so why don't you think the same of greased connectors? Grease is going to reduce the contact surface area which of course increases resistance and produces heat.
Throckmorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #27
Throckmorton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizinman View Post
Sounds like BS? Yes, I'm sure the world being round also sounded like BS a few hundred years ago too. When the electrons move across the top of the battery, they attach themselves to the penny and the corrosion happens to the penny, not the terminals. A penny is much cheaper than purchasing an Odyssey or Optima battery. Last I checked an Optima Yellow was around $240. I paid $75 for a 6 year, 36 month free replacement battery at Costco. Well, make the true cost $75.01 less tax.
I don't think there is any such thing as electrons attaching themselves to the penny. Electricity is a flow of electrons that requires a complete circuit. You can stop the flow but you can't capture electrons unless you're building up a static charge
Throckmorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #28
TakeNoPrisoners
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizinman View Post
Sounds like BS? Yes, I'm sure the world being round also sounded like BS a few hundred years ago too. When the electrons move across the top of the battery, they attach themselves to the penny and the corrosion happens to the penny, not the terminals. A penny is much cheaper than purchasing an Odyssey or Optima battery. Last I checked an Optima Yellow was around $240. I paid $75 for a 6 year, 36 month free replacement battery at Costco. Well, make the true cost $75.01 less tax.
How are the electrons moving in the air from terminal to terminal? The voltage is not nearly high enough to cause the terminals to arc from that distance.
i7 3770k at 4.4Ghz | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | 16GB DDR3 at 2000Mhz | Dual MSI Gaming R9 290 4GB Crossfire | 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD | 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 | Corsair TX850M | CM HAF 932 | 3 x Acer 21.5" 1080p IPS Eyefinity | Windows 8.1 64bit
TakeNoPrisoners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #29
phucheneh
Diamond Member

Quote:
Whoa. Since when the hell was eHow an acceptable source?

Do you know what "dielectric" means?
LOL. The thread continues to degrade...I guess he was confusing it with the ever-popular 'electric grease.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
You think corroded connectors are a waste of energy so why don't you think the same of greased connectors? Grease is going to reduce the contact surface area which of course increases resistance and produces heat.
Corrosion is a hard build-up of oxides and whatever other junk that prevents good contact between clean metal surfaces.

Dielectric grease is not the same thing. Again, you may as well say air is actively adding resistance to your connections. Only difference being air doesn't seal out the above corrosion.

Above two people:

The electricity flows through small amount of electrolyte on the battery casing. Not the air. And yes, electroplating does exist; I just don't know if a penny would really do anything in this case.
phucheneh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #30
Howard
Lifer

Quote:
As I said, it depends on the type of connector. Many connectors scrape right through grease and oil, and others can squeeze it out until metal-to-metal contact is made. Then the grease serves to waterproof and prevent corrosion.

Kitchen stuff

Last edited by Howard; 11-17-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #31
KentState
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't think there is any such thing as electrons attaching themselves to the penny. Electricity is a flow of electrons that requires a complete circuit. You can stop the flow but you can't capture electrons unless you're building up a static charge
Look up Galvanic anode. This was a pretty common thing on metal haul ships. Now they didn't use pennies, but it's the same principal. Zinc, which a penny is made of, is a common metal used.
KentState is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #32
Howard
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentState View Post
Look up Galvanic anode. This was a pretty common thing on metal haul ships. Now they didn't use pennies, but it's the same principal. Zinc, which a penny is made of, is a common metal used.
Aren't they copper-plated steel nowadays?

EDIT: huh, have no idea where I heard that from

Kitchen stuff

Last edited by Howard; 11-18-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
Baked
Lifer

My current car has a Panasonic battery installed at Toyota car assembly line in Japan, going on 7 years strong. Never had a problem. And your battery died in 3 years? Shitty quality.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #34
AmdEmAll
Diamond Member

Quote:
Whoa. Since when the hell was eHow an acceptable source?

Do you know what "dielectric" means?
I guess your right it is non-conductive.. Well whatever the hell it is, it works great at sealing electric connections and keeping corrosion out.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #35
Rifter
Diamond Member

Why would you use vasoline? it isnt conductive, i tend to use permatex copper never sieze on electrical connections as its very conductive and seals out air to prevent corrosion very well.

Oppan Gangnam style all up in this mother!
Rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #36
Howard
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
Why would you use vasoline? it isnt conductive, i tend to use permatex copper never sieze on electrical connections as its very conductive and seals out air to prevent corrosion very well.
Couldn't find an electrical resistivity for it.

Kitchen stuff
Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #37
phucheneh
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
Hmm...thin, conductive grease for electrical connections...short circuit much?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #38
Rifter
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phucheneh View Post
Hmm...thin, conductive grease for electrical connections...short circuit much?
Assuming you dont glob it on and it doesnt touch anything but the electrical connection that is not going to happen, obviously dont over do it.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #39
Rifter
Diamond Member

Quote:
Couldn't find an electrical resistivity for it.
Its faily good it got actual copper flakes in it, my mechanic told me about it and he and his dad have been using it for over 40 years with no ill effects. I did that to all the battery connections on my old CRX that i owned for 7 years and there was zero corrosion 7 years later when i got rid of it.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #40
LTC8K6
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
My current car has a Panasonic battery installed at Toyota car assembly line in Japan, going on 7 years strong. Never had a problem. And your battery died in 3 years? Shitty quality.
No, most likely it's the weather.

Hot climates and cold climates shorten lead acid battery life.

Mild climates are great for them.

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #41
Ns1
Lifer

so pardon the obvious, is there a proven method to prevent corrosion around battery terminals?

Rule 813 bro
Ns1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #42
phucheneh
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
so pardon the obvious, is there a proven method to prevent corrosion around battery terminals?
...other than all of those mentioned? (with the exception of the stupid antisieze one)

It's not too difficult. You're just creating a barrier around the terminals. I like the spray stuff that is like a slightly tacky paint because it makes the least mess.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #43
wirednuts
Diamond Member

vaseline should work fine. a thin coat on the battery posts is all you need. i suspect dielectric grease is thicker and holds up to high temperatures better, but thats probably the only difference.

you dont want conductive grease in your connectors. that defeats half the purpose of using the stuff.
wirednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #44
deadken
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
As mentioned, siliconing a penny about an inch away from each post will let the Zinc corrode first (sacrificial metal). Of course, periodic rinsing with a baking soda / water solution doesn't hurt.

"The mechanic should sit down among levers, screws, wedges, wheels, etc., like a poet among letters of the alphabet, considering them as the exhibition of his thought, in which a new arrangment transmits a new idea to the world." Robert Fulton.
deadken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #45
wirednuts
Diamond Member

i just use spray like this stuff- http://www.walmart.com/ip/22058255?a...l5=pla&veh=sem

its messy, it doesnt look amazing or anything when its applied, but it does a fantastic job. since it sprays on you can get it in all the little gaps around the terminals. it also comes off easily with degreaser. i just clean everything up really good with pb blaster, put the terminals on tight then spray over everything with the terminal spray. it will dry to a tacky feel, and it will not corrode.
wirednuts is offline   Reply With Quote