· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #26
nehalem256
Lifer

Look at the ask.fm website mentioned in the article. It appears that the questions are posted anonymously.

Is it really possible to anonymously bully someone? Does that concept even make sense?
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #27
waggy
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainonska511 View Post
Is it? If something starts online and then follows the person into school, how can you ignore it?
well stay off facebook or control what friends. I do think you can limit it..but i agree you can't stop it totally.
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #28
dank69
Lifer

I see the OP has already forgotten what it is like to be a child, when your whole world seems to depend upon how others view you. I'd be willing to bet the OP isn't even that old, either. 20s at the most. I bet it wasn't long ago that he was wrapped up in the same highschool drama he now pretends is no big deal.

pcgeek11: IMO: Being gay is not a minority. It is a genetic defect

Idontcare: dank69 is hereby permabanned.
dank69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #29
classy
Lifer

I don't feel sorry for them to be honest. I am sorry they took their own lives, but I can't blame it on someone else. Words hurt, but parents need to do a better job at raising their kids in this area. People have made the kids today to sensitive and they are not being taught early on how to handle pressure.
We are Chelsea Clinton
2009 2010 2011 2012
classy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #30
dank69
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by classy View Post
I don't feel sorry for them to be honest. I am sorry they took their own lives, but I can't blame it on someone else. Words hurt, but parents need to do a better job at raising their kids in this area. People have made the kids today to sensitive and they are not being taught early on how to handle pressure.
Do you realize that sometimes there is nothing parents can do? Sometimes people have chemical imbalances of the brain that cause mental disorders? Sometimes there are no external signs of the disorder until it is too late. You can't always just blame the parents anymore.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #31
s0me0nesmind1
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggy View Post
well stay off facebook or control what friends. I do think you can limit it..but i agree you can't stop it totally.
It's actually easy to stop. Enjoy your own life instead of worrying about what others think of you - or talk of you. Most talking about other people tends to be jealousy anyways.

Join a social group - could be a nerd group after school - could be a soccer club/team. Point being, if you're worrying about what other people think of your life - than you're wasting time in your life. You're not busy enough. You could be doing useful things like acquiring skills, networking, and having fun.
s0me0nesmind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #32
s0me0nesmind1
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank69 View Post
Do you realize that sometimes there is nothing parents can do? Sometimes people have chemical imbalances of the brain that cause mental disorders? Sometimes there are no external signs of the disorder until it is too late. You can't always just blame the parents anymore.
Do you realize that you have no idea what you are talking about? You obviously don't have kids, or have a single concept of parenting
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #33
Lalakai
Golden Member

it's a completely different social structure that kids face today, with electronic media a central part of that. The "pressures" they face are very different compared the ones faced when most of us went to school, making it difficult for us to understand their problems. Sad but true that many of them measure their social status on something inane as FB or MS. A big part of the problem does start in the home and family structure, as more parents leave it up to the computer/tv/school to raise their children. For the kids to "turn off the monitor and stop cam-whoring" they need to see the examples set by their parents first, followed by the peer group they run with. It would be great if all the kids had a strong sense of self confidence and didn't need vindication from a "support group" but that's not always the real world. My first child graduated from high school in 2006 and the last child will graduate in 2017, and the changes in that short time span have been incredible. For me to apply the same set of guidelines 2006 as compared to 2012, would be as useless as saying "two seniors have the same personality"; so we adjust and try to understand what is driving the kids each day. I don't support suicide nor do I see it as a viable option, but I've never been in that "place" so I don't have a reference point to go by. If a parent can't put themselves in their child's "shoes", perhaps they need more empathy, or to consider if it was wise for them to have children in the first place.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

ppsssttt hey grammar nazi.....get a life
Lalakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #34
Capt Caveman
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcougher73 View Post
Could care less as well. Cyber bullying is easy to ignore if you want to.
You don't need to be online to be cyber-bullied. All you need to do is have someone degrading/making-up crap about you online and it spreads to everyone in your school. Next thing, you go to school and find out everyone is alienating you b/c of what someone else said about you online.

Sadly, most here obviously are oblivious of what cyberbullying can entail and the OP is a case in point. Oh wait, he's just a troll.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #35
dank69
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Do you realize that you have no idea what you are talking about? You obviously don't have kids, or have a single concept of parenting
Why would you say that? Is it because you look at the statement "you can't always blame the parents" and your defective brain translates that into "you can never blame the parents"? Yes, I bet that is it. Remember, you are still the guy who ran his mouth off about tax brackets while simultaneously not even knowing how tax brackets work. If you do have kids of your own I weep for their future.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #36
SaurusX

Quote:
<Insert any sentence that is obviously looking for people to reply and ask what they are talking about>.
Hmmm...
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #37
nehalem256
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Caveman View Post
Sadly, most here obviously are oblivious of what cyberbullying can entail and the OP is a case in point. Oh wait, he's just a troll.
People anonymously posting “Why are you so ugly?”

is not cyberbullying.

from the article
Quote:
Police are investigating social media Laney used before her death, but haven’t determined bullying caused her suicide.

“We don’t believe this is something where she went on the Internet one day and killed herself,” Doug Tobin, spokesman for the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office, told the Daily News.

“There was history of mental health issues in the past with her, unfortunately,” Tobin said.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #38
soulcougher73
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Caveman View Post
You don't need to be online to be cyber-bullied. All you need to do is have someone degrading/making-up crap about you online and it spreads to everyone in your school. Next thing, you go to school and find out everyone is alienating you b/c of what someone else said about you online.

Kids have been bullied since the dawn of man and will continue to be forever. Doesnt matter where it starts. Online, at school. Whatever.

Kid was weak and took the easy way out instead of not worrying about what others thought of him. Kids are dumb that way.

Political Correctness: A doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mike Gayner: Partisanship is the most retarded aspect of politics because it forces you to leave your brain at the door.
soulcougher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #39
s0me0nesmind1
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcougher73 View Post
Kids have been bullied since the dawn of man and will continue to be forever. Doesnt matter where it starts. Online, at school. Whatever.

Kid was weak and took the easy way out instead of not worrying about what others thought of him. Kids are dumb that way.
This. The only thing I would even consider "severe" reputation would be something to the likes of sharing nude pictures on Facebook to the whole school - only something as bad as that could tarnish a reputation that harsh. But let's not forget, shit like that was done before offline before it was ever offline. Print out pictures. Post around school.

Anything else is to the like of "That bitch is big doo-doo head". And if anyone you know was affected by a posting of an opinion on Facebook - they were never your friend to begin with. If they weren't your friend to begin with - who cares? If the answer is you - than you are a dumbass and I hope you kill yourself like this dumbass.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #40
nehalem256
Lifer

Quote:
Anything else is to the like of "That bitch is big doo-doo head". And if anyone you know was affected by a posting of an opinion on Facebook - they were never your friend to begin with. If they weren't your friend to begin with - who cares? If the answer is you - than you are a dumbass and I hope you kill yourself like this dumbass.
If you read the article this is exactly what it is. In fact the police don't see any cyber bullying.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #41
Smoblikat
Diamond Member

Im with OP 100%. I can clearly tell that he is a man who appreciates the truth and doesn't need it sugarcoated. The whole "cyber-bullying" thing is just STUPID, just turn off the screen, how hard is that?
Smoblikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #42
thraashman
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoblikat View Post
Im with OP 100%. I can clearly tell that he is a man who appreciates the truth and doesn't need it sugarcoated. The whole "cyber-bullying" thing is just STUPID, just turn off the screen, how hard is that?
The explosion of social media in recent means that kids nowadays feel socially excluded if they DON'T use it. Social exclusion is actually pretty hard to deal with as a kid, as is bullying. Some of you haven't seen real bullying or even know what it is. Real bullying, the most effective kind, is all psychological and not physical, or only minimally physical. The best bullies know how to make you a social pariah where even those who would be your friends feel the social pressure to stop interacting with you for fear of their own social status. The simple fact of the matter is that both you and the OP clearly have no concept of psychology, especially that of children.

Cracked actually did a pretty good article today that explains a lot of the angsty behavior of teens and why they take stuff like this so seriously. The basic jist is that the developing prefrontal and frontal cortex of the brain in teenagers mimics the same effects of mental illness, drug use, and drug addiction in adults.
http://www.cracked.com/article_20146...o-science.html

Campaigning to get all members of P&N to put nehalem256 on their ignore list. The quality of posts in P&N can only improve once most people do.
thraashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #43
Hugo Drax
Platinum Member

Maybe if parents stop blowing money on shopertainment to fill the garage with more shit they never use, and bought more modest home instead of a McMansion they would have more time to spend with their kids instead of working to pay the pile of bills they acquired trying to impress other people.
Hugo Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #44
CitizenKain
Diamond Member

Quote:
Replies: 5
Replies with any kind of point, counter-argument, or anything useful: 0
You've got 230+ posts, and every single of them has been dumbshit garbage that an 8th grader would be embarrassed to post. So you are in no position to claim that anyone else isn't posting anything useful.
CitizenKain is offline   Reply With Quote