· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #451
dighn
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic 7 View Post
If you don't want to log in to Metro about 5 posts back I posted a link to a tutorial that eliminates that.
oh yeah I do use that, when I remember anyway, thanks for that.

still, it requires me to do something special every time i log in.
dighn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #452
GnatGoSplat
Golden Member

Anyone know a way to boot directly into Media Center? I upgraded my HTPC to Win8 and not being able to boot into MC is an annoyance. I've already done the hackish way to do it which involves running explore.exe and ehshell.exe from a .cmd file and executing that from a Scheduled Task that starts at logon, but it's waaaay slower than the way it worked in Win7 and also not as seamless as you can see it sit at the desktop for a little while whereas Win7 went straight to MC after the welcome screen.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #453
Super56K
Golden Member

My Windows 8 experience didn't end well. I wasn't jiving with the metro side, and that was aggravated by running a limited account. There were times I was stymied trying to launch some app or system setting with administrative privileges without cheating and putting a shortcut to everything on my desktop. The search was also stubborn in ways that made it more work to use compared to Windows 7. Then came the weird stability issues...

Over the last week my system became more and more unstable. The sound would quit working until I did a reboot. The problem was it always hung trying to reboot (I left it for an hour once out of curiosity). I already had updated audio drivers dated from Nov '12 and event viewer logs had nothing helpful that I found. The hard resets started causing issues of their own, and before I knew it I was in a vicious cycle of no sound, hard resets, corrupt apps and Chrome cache, and on and on.

I wasn't left with many choices to remedy it either. A PC refresh would wipe out my Office 2010 starter edition and, as far as I know, it's not possible to re-install. I'd also lose all my other "legacy" programs which would be a chore to redo. My best option then was to restore from my last Windows 7 backup.

One bright note in all this: Getting a refund for Windows 8 pro was an easy process. I purchased the downloadable edition from Microsoft and I only needed to answer a few questions before the refund was set in motion.

Last edited by Super56K; 11-24-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Super56K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #454
finbarqs
Diamond Member

Annoyance: Internet explorer in metro does not allow you to multitask. You have to hot the home button, and then it'll allow it. Sizing things into thirds does not work well also. It'll only work in desktop mode, not metro. I couldn't dock it. Maybe it was a display unit, by there are so much limitation on this thing that I think I'm scared of the surface pro now...
finbarqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #455
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

The only issue I am having is that for some reason some sites I go to keep telling me to update my flash and won't play video. I'm sure this has more to do with the site not updating for Win8 but does anyone know if there is a fix for this or do I just need to wait it out?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #456
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Metro IE only supports flash on sites that register with Microsoft. Desktop ie should run flash on any site. Or you could use chrome or Firefox etc

There is a way to edit the whitelist locally yourself and a Google search should find it for you.
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #457
sequoia464

Default Anyone else having update issues??

I'm having issues with W8 updating, I have seen several reports about this on a search, but no fixes yet that have worked for me.

Anyone have any insight about this?
sequoia464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #458
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Metro IE only supports flash on sites that register with Microsoft. Desktop ie should run flash on any site. Or you could use chrome or Firefox etc

There is a way to edit the whitelist locally yourself and a Google search should find it for you.
Thanks dredd, guess it is time to head back to Firefox.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #459
Wag
Diamond Member

Be sure to apply the latest Software Update KB2764462. I had problems with some games crashing and after applying this I'm all good.
Wag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #460
Herr Kutz

Is there a valid reason for Microsoft not allowing the windows snap feature on 1200x800 laptops?
Herr Kutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #461
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Kutz View Post
Is there a valid reason for Microsoft not allowing the windows snap feature on 1200x800 laptops?
The minimum resolution for Metro is 1024x768. That would leave less than 200 pixels of width for the snapped application.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #462
colonelciller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super56K View Post
My Windows 8 experience didn't end well. I wasn't jiving with the metro side, and that was aggravated by running a limited account. There were times I was stymied trying to launch some app or system setting with administrative privileges without cheating and putting a shortcut to everything on my desktop. The search was also stubborn in ways that made it more work to use compared to Windows 7. Then came the weird stability issues...

Over the last week my system became more and more unstable. The sound would quit working until I did a reboot. The problem was it always hung trying to reboot (I left it for an hour once out of curiosity). I already had updated audio drivers dated from Nov '12 and event viewer logs had nothing helpful that I found. The hard resets started causing issues of their own, and before I knew it I was in a vicious cycle of no sound, hard resets, corrupt apps and Chrome cache, and on and on.

I wasn't left with many choices to remedy it either. A PC refresh would wipe out my Office 2010 starter edition and, as far as I know, it's not possible to re-install. I'd also lose all my other "legacy" programs which would be a chore to redo. My best option then was to restore from my last Windows 7 backup.

One bright note in all this: Getting a refund for Windows 8 pro was an easy process. I purchased the downloadable edition from Microsoft and I only needed to answer a few questions before the refund was set in motion.
where did you go to initiate a refund request?
colonelciller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #463
sportage
Diamond Member

Point-grab hand gestures windows 8?

Has anyone tried the point grab hand gestures in windows 8?
I couldn't figure out why the built-in webcam was always coming on.
And saying the cam was in use if some other app tried to access the camera.

Googled and googled for any clue. Nothing.

Then I came across a demo of pointgrab on the windows 8 system and realized what was going on with the camera, and what pointgrab was all about in the first place.

I don't see this thing going anywhere. This feature.
For on thing, the camera tracks the hand movement, which is held up in front of the camera, so the hand is blocking your view of the screen.
Kinda makes no sense.

Besides, its pretty flaky. Ever accidentally change something by moving your mouse where it shouldn't be or didn't intend to? Then try to return the look back to the way it was?

Just wait till your hand movement screws up your screen layout unintentionally.
I just fail to see the point of PGC.
sportage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #464
Herr Kutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRGE View Post
The minimum resolution for Metro is 1024x768. That would leave less than 200 pixels of width for the snapped application.

So this limitation is only when using the metro apps?

e.g. Will the snap to sides still work as it does in Windows 7 while in desktop mode for a 1200x800 resolution screen? If so I may give it a try on my laptop.
Herr Kutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #465
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Kutz View Post
So this limitation is only when using the metro apps?

e.g. Will the snap to sides still work as it does in Windows 7 while in desktop mode for a 1200x800 resolution screen? If so I may give it a try on my laptop.
No. MS kept it consistent, so you can only get snap when you have a resolution of at least 1366x768.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #466
Super56K
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelciller View Post
where did you go to initiate a refund request?
Like I mentioned I purchased directly from Microsoft's online store. They have a support number for refunds / customer service (1-877-696-7786). I made the call, gave them the order number to pull up, and after a few questions they initiated the refund.
Super56K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #467
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

Hey guys, I was just looking for a little clarification about Xbox Music. Now, do I buy tracks individually or do I buy a sub and download all the music I want? And, with either scenario, does it download them as mp3's that I can then move to other devices (I have 4 ps3's in my house and my kids are getting Nexus 7's for Xmas)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0d1gy View Post
Thanks dredd, guess it is time to head back to Firefox.
I just could not abandon that slick IE10 so I just have FF as a backup on my Metro in case I absolutely have to have it to see a video, but it isn't very often and it is usually on more obscure sites.

Last edited by Pr0d1gy; 12-13-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Pr0d1gy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #468
dinker99

My hope is that Windows 9 will offer some way to divide the screen into multiple views so that more than one document/application can be shown at once. Not just little tiles that zoom up to full-screen applications. Kind of like little, virtual screens that you could open to provide access to your content, like a doorway.

They could call them "Doors."
dinker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #469
TraumaRN
Diamond Member

Got Windows 8, upgraded from Vista and no regrets so far. However despite my back efforts I can't quite figure out how to get Firefox onto my Start menu. I've google searched it but none of the suggestions were helpful at all....perhaps it's something easy I'm overlooking??

Otherwise, loving this so far, it's much so much faster than Vista and while it's a little odd at first on a desktop, I find myself liking it more and more.

TraumaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #470
smakme7757
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumaRN View Post
Got Windows 8, upgraded from Vista and no regrets so far. However despite my back efforts I can't quite figure out how to get Firefox onto my Start menu. I've google searched it but none of the suggestions were helpful at all....perhaps it's something easy I'm overlooking??

Otherwise, loving this so far, it's much so much faster than Vista and while it's a little odd at first on a desktop, I find myself liking it more and more.
Right click the icon on metro and down the bottom of the screen a bar will appear. Choose stick to taskbar.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #471
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakme7757 View Post
Right click the icon on metro and down the bottom of the screen a bar will appear. Choose stick to taskbar.
He may need to go to the Store to initially download it IIRC.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #472
TraumaRN
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakme7757 View Post
I know that one, but I'd rather it be on the Win 8 start screen/metro. Can't figure that one out for the life of me.

TraumaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #473
darkewaffle
Diamond Member

When you do the Upgrade install of Win8 can you select the drive it installs to or do you need to install directly over the previous Windows installation? I was hoping to upgrade from Win7 to Win8 simultaneously with installing a new SSD boot drive in my HTPC.

Or will I need to install Win7 directly onto the SSD to qualify for the upgrade? (Or find some upgrade workaround and clean install 8, whatever)
Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #474
destrekor
Lifer

Quote:
I know that one, but I'd rather it be on the Win 8 start screen/metro. Can't figure that one out for the life of me.
So, you want Firefox to be a Tile on the Start screen?

When you are in All Apps, and you have right-clicked Firefox, choose "Pin to Start"

Or, are you saying you want Firefox to launch into a "Metro" app-screen from the Start screen, as opposed to simply having the icon pinned?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
destrekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #475
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

Quote:
When you are in the Metro, just type Mozilla and the OS will pull the app up for you if you already have it installed. If you don't, you can download it in the store.

Anyone know anything about Xbox Music? I'd love to get some info on it and all I find are articles from months ago.