Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
QueBert
Lifer
 
QueBert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 20,005
Default 2002 Camry won't start

Since the lights come on full brightness, the sunroof opens and the radio works I'm assuming it has to be the starter or the starter solenoid. I don't know a lot about cars but enough to figure this out. When I try to start the car there's no click, just the higher pitched soft buzz sound. Googling this I'm seeing to hit the starter with a metal object, I don't have access to the car right now but should I actually try this? Also my Googling must suck but I can't find a diagram of where the starter is. If anyone here could help me out that would be great. I'm about 110 miles from home and would like to not have to call AAA to get a toe. I know either the starter or the solenoid will need to be replaced but am hoping for a temporary fix that can get me back home for the time being.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenT View Post
No, no, they exist. I've seen them.

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.
QueBert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
radioouman
Diamond Member
 
radioouman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 8,628
Default

I'll bet it is the solenoid, but I doubt that it is replaceable separately from the starter. A high pitched whine could be the starter motor turning with no load.
radioouman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
CurseTheSky
Diamond Member
 
CurseTheSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,294
Default

IIRC, the bendix in the starter can get stuck in the retracted position (not mated with the flywheel / flexplate), allowing the starter to spin and spin without actually cranking the engine. Hitting it with an object (rubber mallet may do the trick) can sometimes release the bendix and get it working again.

It does sound like a starter / stuck bendix problem to me. In the worst case, you can buy a new starter and drop it in. It's usually two bolts and a couple of wires, so as long as you're comfortable working on your car, it shouldn't be a big project.
__________________
We're all going to die someday, regardless of race, gender, beliefs, or any other differences.

The where, when, and how are things that we can try to control, but in the end, it's the mark that we leave on this world that we truly have power over.
CurseTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
QueBert
Lifer
 
QueBert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 20,005
Default

thanks for the replies, I'm not a car dude, I mean if it's a couple bolts and a few wires I'm sure I can manage it. Now I just have to find a PDF or something showing me where it's at so I can go tap it with a wrench or something.

@radioouman I know I said it's making a high pitched whine but I might be wrong the more I think about it. TI wonder if I'm saying that because a mechanic I spoke to brought it up a few times. Regardless it's not turning over at all.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenT View Post
No, no, they exist. I've seen them.

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.
QueBert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
PricklyPete
Lifer
 
PricklyPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueBert View Post
thanks for the replies, I'm not a car dude, I mean if it's a couple bolts and a few wires I'm sure I can manage it. Now I just have to find a PDF or something showing me where it's at so I can go tap it with a wrench or something.
If you look around where the flywheel meets the transmission, you should be able to find it...often times near the bottom of the block.
__________________
"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" - The Dude

"I just wish, that at road speeds, it would occasionally put its hand down the front of my trousers and have a little rummage." - Clarkson on the GT-R
PricklyPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
alfa147x
Lifer
 
alfa147x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 29,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseTheSky View Post
IIRC, the bendix in the starter can get stuck in the retracted position (not mated with the flywheel / flexplate), allowing the starter to spin and spin without actually cranking the engine. Hitting it with an object (rubber mallet may do the trick) can sometimes release the bendix and get it working again.

It does sound like a starter / stuck bendix problem to me. In the worst case, you can buy a new starter and drop it in. It's usually two bolts and a couple of wires, so as long as you're comfortable working on your car, it shouldn't be a big project.
Ah that's why my starter on my 94 altima would work when hit
__________________
.
alfa147x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
QueBert
Lifer
 
QueBert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 20,005
Default

Well I tried tapping the starter with a cordless screwdriver, was the heaviest thing I had in my trunk. Made no difference I turn the key and still nothing, there's not even a whine just my dash lights coming on and everything else that needs power working normally. I tested the windows, stereo & sun roof. I guess I need a new starter, thanks fdr the ideas though guys.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenT View Post
No, no, they exist. I've seen them.

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.
QueBert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
kornphlake
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,548
Default

You could try a jump start still, I've had a battery that is drained enough to power accessories but not turn over the engine. You can have your battery tested for free at most auto parts stores, I believe wal-mart even does it, all it takes is to remove the two cables from the terminals, lift the battery out of the vehicle and toss it in the back seat of your friends car for a ride downtown before you spend $60 minimum to have a mechanic tell you it's just the battery.
kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
QueBert
Lifer
 
QueBert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 20,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
You could try a jump start still, I've had a battery that is drained enough to power accessories but not turn over the engine. You can have your battery tested for free at most auto parts stores, I believe wal-mart even does it, all it takes is to remove the two cables from the terminals, lift the battery out of the vehicle and toss it in the back seat of your friends car for a ride downtown before you spend $60 minimum to have a mechanic tell you it's just the battery.
I tried to get a jump and it did nothing, I'll get it tested tonight at Pep Boys, I'm pretty positive know that's not what it is. Even with an almost 100% dead battery the engine should still attempt to turn over and I should get the buzzing noise. But what do I have to lose?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenT View Post
No, no, they exist. I've seen them.

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.
QueBert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
vshah
Lifer
 
vshah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 18,737
Default

if it's a manual you could push start to get yourself home?
__________________
Intel Core i7 920 || Asus P6T Deluxe V2 || Noctua NH-U12P|| 12GB DDR3-1600
GTX 670 || Intel x-25m 80gb || 1TB Caviar Black || Antec 902 ||Antec 550w
HEAT
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
QueBert
Lifer
 
QueBert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 20,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshah View Post
if it's a manual you could push start to get yourself home?
Automatic, don't think the push start method applies. Do they even make manual Carmys?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenT View Post
No, no, they exist. I've seen them.

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.
QueBert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #12
CurseTheSky
Diamond Member
 
CurseTheSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,294
Default

FYI, you can't just "tap" it, you really need to put some force into it... which can be difficult given the really limited space in some cars. Hit it as hard as you would if you were pounding a nail into a board. Not hard enough to break pieces off or dent it to all Hell, but you need to send a good enough shock through it to knock the bendix loose (or back on track, or however it works).

If you have any form of transportation at all, you can try buying a rubber mallet (if clearance is good) or a mini sledge and a cheap pipe. Either hit the starter directly with the mallet or put the pipe up to the side of it (for extra clearance) and hit it with the sledge. Of course, you CAN potentially do damage to the starter, flywheel, engine block, etc. so it may just be worth your while to go grab another starter.

Since you already located it, take a look at how it bolts in and what you'll have to deal with for wiring. Look up a guide online (this one doesn't say what year it's for, but maybe it applies to you) and see if it's something you're comfortable toying with or if you're better off bringing it to a shop. Expect to pay $150ish for a re-manufactured starter (more or less with core charge), and keep in mind that many shops love to take advantage of people who are stuck in their current situation, especially if you just payed to get it towed there.
__________________
We're all going to die someday, regardless of race, gender, beliefs, or any other differences.

The where, when, and how are things that we can try to control, but in the end, it's the mark that we leave on this world that we truly have power over.
CurseTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
QueBert
Lifer
 
QueBert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 20,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseTheSky View Post
FYI, you can't just "tap" it, you really need to put some force into it... which can be difficult given the really limited space in some cars. Hit it as hard as you would if you were pounding a nail into a board. Not hard enough to break pieces off or dent it to all Hell, but you need to send a good enough shock through it to knock the bendix loose (or back on track, or however it works).

If you have any form of transportation at all, you can try buying a rubber mallet (if clearance is good) or a mini sledge and a cheap pipe. Either hit the starter directly with the mallet or put the pipe up to the side of it (for extra clearance) and hit it with the sledge. Of course, you CAN potentially do damage to the starter, flywheel, engine block, etc. so it may just be worth your while to go grab another starter.

Since you already located it, take a look at how it bolts in and what you'll have to deal with for wiring. Look up a guide online (this one doesn't say what year it's for, but maybe it applies to you) and see if it's something you're comfortable toying with or if you're better off bringing it to a shop. Expect to pay $150ish for a re-manufactured starter (more or less with core charge), and keep in mind that many shops love to take advantage of people who are stuck in their current situation, especially if you just payed to get it towed there.
Hummm, it very well didn't work when I hit it because I wasn't hitting hard enough. Most stuff I found on the web said to "tap" it and not hit too hard so I was a little worried. Since it's already not working I suppose I should give it one more go and hit it harder. I don't have access to a rubber mallet, but the black n decker screw driver is pretty heavy where the battery is. And with the wires the way they are I don't see how I could even fit a mallet in there, unless it was real small.

thanks for telling me I need to whack it and not tap it, I'm off to give it one final try.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenT View Post
No, no, they exist. I've seen them.

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.
QueBert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
QueBert
Lifer
 
QueBert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 20,005
Default

wacking didn't do anything, got a tow back home and a neighbor came to look at it, he tightened the positive battery cable and it started right up. Had a lot of acid on it so we took the battery out and soaked the terminal in water & baking soda. Put the battery back in, wouldn't start, didn't even turn over. Tried to jump it, nothing, checked the voltage on the connectors and it's good. All the fuses are good. Banged the starter a few more times, still nothing. Guess it's a bad starter, so weird how it started right after the first thing he did. *SIIGH* I hate cars lol
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenT View Post
No, no, they exist. I've seen them.

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.
QueBert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
CurseTheSky
Diamond Member
 
CurseTheSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,294
Default

Sounds like a bad starter. The tow home probably knocked the bendix back into place, and when it retracted after the initial start, it got stuck again.

Considering it's 8 years old, you could always replace the starter for the heck of it and write it off as preventative maintenance (in case that's not the problem). That's not to say a re-manufactured starter won't do the same thing a year from now, but eh, whatever makes you feel better about spending $150.
__________________
We're all going to die someday, regardless of race, gender, beliefs, or any other differences.

The where, when, and how are things that we can try to control, but in the end, it's the mark that we leave on this world that we truly have power over.
CurseTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
QueBert
Lifer
 
QueBert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 20,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseTheSky View Post
Sounds like a bad starter. The tow home probably knocked the bendix back into place, and when it retracted after the initial start, it got stuck again.

Considering it's 8 years old, you could always replace the starter for the heck of it and write it off as preventative maintenance (in case that's not the problem). That's not to say a re-manufactured starter won't do the same thing a year from now, but eh, whatever makes you feel better about spending $150.
I figured the tow did something, was hoping I could knock it back into working condition again but no dice. The bright side is a Starter isn't all that expensive and looks like a job even a car noob like me could do in a few hours tops.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenT View Post
No, no, they exist. I've seen them.

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.
QueBert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
needcamryhelp
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14
Default

Hey Quebert. I'm having the same problem as this. Did you end up figuring out what the problem was? Was it indeed the starter?
needcamryhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
nboy22
Diamond Member
 
nboy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by needcamryhelp View Post
Hey Quebert. I'm having the same problem as this. Did you end up figuring out what the problem was? Was it indeed the starter?
about a year ago I had to replace the starter in my '02 Dodge Stratus. It kept blowing fuses and I kept replacing the fuses until one morning it just wouldn't start, no noise coming from the engine bay at all. I ended up replacing the starter and it fired right up. It took a while to get to it because of all the shrouding and if I remember correctly I had to take some pipes apart too.

1. If your lights and electronics are working, and you hear no cranking when turning the key, first try a jump start for safety.
2. Check your fuses/relays. If your starter is blowing a fuse that means it is on its way out, but you can get by for quite a few months sometimes (like I did) with just replacing the fuse when it blows. Just be ready for that one day when it isn't going to start.
3. If all else fails, replace your starter.
__________________

Heatware: bclark22
nboy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
needcamryhelp
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14
Default

Thanks for the info. I tried jump starting, it didn't work. Checked all the relevant interior and exterior fuses too and they all seem to be fine (one solid metal fuse said 25mA though although the guide said 30mA). It was a doozie but I was able to pull out the starter and tried to fire it up by connecting it to a friend's battery but that didn't work either. Gonna take it to a car parts shop tomorrow and see if they can test it out. If it still doesn't work, looks like I'm gonna have to invest in a new starter indeed.
needcamryhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #20
nboy22
Diamond Member
 
nboy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by needcamryhelp View Post
Thanks for the info. I tried jump starting, it didn't work. Checked all the relevant interior and exterior fuses too and they all seem to be fine (one solid metal fuse said 25mA though although the guide said 30mA). It was a doozie but I was able to pull out the starter and tried to fire it up by connecting it to a friend's battery but that didn't work either. Gonna take it to a car parts shop tomorrow and see if they can test it out. If it still doesn't work, looks like I'm gonna have to invest in a new starter indeed.
No problem, sounds like a good plan of action. It sounds like it should be the starter to me.
__________________

Heatware: bclark22
nboy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #21
QueBert
Lifer
 
QueBert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 20,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by needcamryhelp View Post
Hey Quebert. I'm having the same problem as this. Did you end up figuring out what the problem was? Was it indeed the starter?
Yeah, I replaced the starter it took me about 45 minutes and I'd never done it before. So if I could do it, anyone could. I looked up a video on Youtube, I was surprised at how easy it was.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenT View Post
No, no, they exist. I've seen them.

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.

Last edited by QueBert; 12-12-2012 at 10:10 PM.
QueBert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #22
ketchup79
Diamond Member
 
ketchup79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 7,102
Default

YouTube is the bomb on car repair! I am amazed how my dad managed it with a book when I was a kid (of course, he knows more about cars than I do.) We replaced the spark plugs on my Mazda 6 watching a YouTube video.

Tip for Quebert: you probably did hear a high pitched sound you had mentioned in post #1. That would be the electric fuel pump starting up. It starts at ignition, whether or not the engine starts.
__________________
Intel i7-4790k | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | 16 GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 660 | Antec EA-650 BRONZE | Crucial MX100 256 GB | CM Storm Series Trooper | CM Hyper 212 EVO
ketchup79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #23
nboy22
Diamond Member
 
nboy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueBert View Post
Yeah, I replaced the starter it took me about 45 minutes and I'd never done it before. So if I could do it, anyone could. I looked up a video on Youtube, I was surprised at how easy it was.
On my Stratus it was an absolute bitch. I couldn't even see when I was plugging the electrical wires back in for the new starter and my arm was near shoulder deep in the engine. I had to take engine mounts off and all sorts of crap.

Now I own a corolla so when that one goes I am hoping it will be easier to replace, but I still have 8 years before I even have to worry about that!
__________________

Heatware: bclark22
nboy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #24
needcamryhelp
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueBert View Post
Yeah, I replaced the starter it took me about 45 minutes and I'd never done it before. So if I could do it, anyone could. I looked up a video on Youtube, I was surprised at how easy it was.
Yup I just replaced it too, it ended up not being that bad. The new starter was a little tough to insert into the engine but after some lube spray and a crushed middle finger I was able to jam it in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nboy22 View Post
On my Stratus it was an absolute bitch. I couldn't even see when I was plugging the electrical wires back in for the new starter and my arm was near shoulder deep in the engine. I had to take engine mounts off and all sorts of crap.

Now I own a corolla so when that one goes I am hoping it will be easier to replace, but I still have 8 years before I even have to worry about that!
Yeah the replacement is kinda straightforward but they really don't make that starter easy to get too. It's so deep and cramped down there that it's so hard to finagle it out and in.
needcamryhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #25
nboy22
Diamond Member
 
nboy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by needcamryhelp View Post
Yup I just replaced it too, it ended up not being that bad. The new starter was a little tough to insert into the engine but after some lube spray and a crushed middle finger I was able to jam it in.




Yeah the replacement is kinda straightforward but they really don't make that starter easy to get too. It's so deep and cramped down there that it's so hard to finagle it out and in.
So you're up and running now?
__________________

Heatware: bclark22
nboy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.