· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #51
HamburgerBoy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
I've got news for you princess, you have a 100% chance of dying. It's just a matter of how and when, so you can be afraid or you can live the life you want.
Oh, glad to see you've reconsidered your previous views on seatbelts then.
HamburgerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #52
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Woode View Post
I don't want to discuss this.

I want to discuss what to have for breakfast: pancakes or waffles or french toast
Man, them bacon bits for breakfast be bangin'!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #53
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerBoy View Post
Oh, glad to see you've reconsidered your previous views on seatbelts then.
The risk vs reward of riding a motorcycle is acceptable to me. Wearing a seatbelt is the law but I would do it anyway because the risk vs reward is so miniscule as to be imperceptible... pussy.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #54
HamburgerBoy
Lifer

Quote:
The risk vs reward of riding a motorcycle is acceptable to me. Wearing a seatbelt is the law but I would do it anyway because the risk vs reward is so miniscule as to be imperceptible... pussy.
You used to insist on seatbelt laws being that you believed you had the right to not look at dead bodies on the road or some such thing. Who's afraid of death now bitch?
HamburgerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #55
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerBoy View Post
You used to insist on seatbelt laws being that you believed you had the right to not look at dead bodies on the road or some such thing. Who's afraid of death now bitch?
I still insist on seatbelt laws and I'm for helmet laws for motorcyclists. The numbers back me up too. The minor inconvenience is worth the infringement on your freedom. But don't try to sell me on making motorcycles illegal. I'm not for pussying up 'Merica to that extent.

This idea that anyone who is for any sort of mandatory safety law is for every safety law is utter nonsense.

Oh, and good luck persuading the AMA, BMW, Ducati, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Harley Davidson, Honda, and Yamaha that motorcycles should be illegal on public roads in their biggest market on the planet though.

Seriously... good luck with that.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #56
WackyDan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer Bandit View Post
how to people with motorcyles get groceries?
I do all the time. I can buy a ton of groceries while riding...Lots of space in my side bags and top case.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #57
Jeff7
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPayne63 View Post
Just imagine how much longer the organ transplant wait would be without motorcycles.

Or else simply make the organ donor an opt-out program, rather than opt-in. (Credit to Freakonomics)

Last edited by Jeff7; 12-12-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Jeff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #58
Fenixgoon
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
I do all the time. I can buy a ton of groceries while riding...Lots of space in my side bags and top case.
yup i've grocery shopped with my bike as well. i love it
Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #59
coldmeat
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsatwerk View Post
Went downhill after the first season.
Yup. Jumped the shark faster than any other show I've seen.

coldmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #60
CZroe
Lifer

No one thought it was weird when Peter Parker delivered pizza on his scooter. One of the first things I did on my Ninja 250 was shop at the grocery store AND pick up two $5 pizzas from Little Ceasar's. All I had was a tank bag and some bungee cords. I then proceeded to go without a car for three years doing all of my shopping with it and sometimes a backpack . It helps to remove useless packaging sometimes.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #61
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
I agree, we should ban them.
Mandatory SUVs?
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #62
SparkyJJO
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
Mandatory SUVs?

CO2 is evil. Stop breathing

"I have never understood why it is greed to want to keep the money that you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." - Thomas Sowell
SparkyJJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #63
applesj4924usa
Banned

because they're fun?
applesj4924usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #64
Ben90
Platinum Member

Quote:
Lol, I actually don't have to legally wear a seatbelt because I crashed my motorcycle and broke my collar bone in 4 places. The screws and plate stick out a bit.
Ben90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #65
Timorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagHalfrunt View Post
Maybe motorcyclists should grow a brain, look around at the skill and attention-span of the average driver and understand that any sane person will surround himself with crumple zones and airbags. It would be nice if other people looked out, but since that is NEVER going to happen maybe everyone else on the road needs to be prepared for when they don't.
Maybe instead of saying motorcyclists should grow a brain because other people are morons you should just say that the morons should not be allowed to drive. Besides, those morons are a danger to all other road users and not just motorcyclists so why not remove them from the road if they are not capable of driving in a safe manner.
Timorous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #66
JEDIYoda
Lifer

I think we should ban having sex on a moving motorcycle.......
Old 12-13-2012, 03:14 AM   #67
EMPshockwave82
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timorous View Post
Maybe instead of saying motorcyclists should grow a brain because other people are morons you should just say that the morons should not be allowed to drive. Besides, those morons are a danger to all other road users and not just motorcyclists so why not remove them from the road if they are not capable of driving in a safe manner.
The driving test is too easy. Driving laws too lenient. Penalties for not obeying driving laws too weak. It's socially acceptable to eat, drink soft drinks, talk on the phone, speed, refrain from using turn signals, among many other things that take your mind off of what you are doing.

Personally I think the person on the motorcycle (that isn't acting like an idiot) is safer than the average driver. Why would banning something be the choice instead of making it safer for other drivers?
EMPshockwave82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #68
CZroe
Lifer

More on motorcycle grocery shopping:
I need to wear my Looxcie and take my tank bag in next time just to show how much a little bag can carry. I have a few tricks other motorcyclists might appreciate. Yes, there's wasted time trying to size things (employees get suspicious when they see you putting unpaid merch in the bag) and opening/disposing of packages after checking out is tedious, but it works out.

I remember going to Fry's Electronics and getting two 12-packs of Coke Zero ($2 each!) along with a The Dark Knight Collector's Edition, an Antec rolling base for a PC chassis, and other stuff. I actually ran out of space: Of course, I didn't want to open or crush the Collector's Edition BD box that was on clearance for less than the normal edition (specifically because it took up too much shelf space). After breaking the 12-packs down into three 6-packs and some loose cans, strapping the Antec caster-roller thingie on top, and stuffing my jacket pockets, I still had two cans of Coke Zero that I couldn't fit anywhere. I drank one and gave the other to an appreciative passer-by. The BatPod was unscathed and I didn't even have to break out my TimBuk2 Hidden Backpack (folds into wallet-size).

Did I mention that my Alienware M11x notebook was inside the tankbag at the time and that it all held on with nothing more than a few magnets?

I've also carried huge bags of dogfood and cat litter inside my over-sized jacket.

Last edited by CZroe; 12-13-2012 at 10:35 AM.
CZroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #69
SViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainhulk View Post
With all the mandatory safety equipment required on cars nowadays, I'm thinking to myself it's kinda silly to allow people to drive something with zero safety equipment.

Discuss?
Have you been anywhere outside of the US? Try telling this to Europeans who are paying over $2.00 a LITER in gas.

It's about risk mitigation. Like someone else said, you *will* die. Happens to everyone. Will you live in fear for the rest of your life? I'm sure that you participate in activities (read: driving a car) where you have a moderate risk of injury or death.

Also according to the Hurt report:

Quote:
Almost half of the fatal accidents show alcohol involvement.
I don't drink when I ride. I just tremendously reduced my risk of a fatal motorcycle accident.

Quote:
Helmeted riders and passengers showed significantly lower head and neck injury for all types of injury, at all levels of injury severity.
I always have my helmet on when I get on the bike, even if it's a 1/2 mile drive down to the grocery store.

Is my risk of death higher because I ride a motorcycle? Of course. Am I willing to take that risk for doing something I love? Yes.
SViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #70
CZroe
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagHalfrunt View Post
You can definitely do pizza on a motorcycle because I once had a neighbor that did it. All it takes is a bike with the with right kind of rear fender and bungie cords. In some cities they even deliver pizzas on mopeds and motorcycles. They mount a special pizza box to the back of the bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7IireBsC3Q

Dr. Pepper.

Last edited by CZroe; 12-13-2012 at 10:42 AM.
CZroe is online now   Reply With Quote