· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #26
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Gunner View Post
I am pretty sure that that area manager was told by corporate offices what to put where. The same corporate offices that see sales numbers and know which games are selling more than the other games. Of course it's all about money for gamestop, which is why they put the big games out there.
Again you're flat out wrong. Just quit posting and wasting people's time here.

It's not sales as I just said. The games we were told to push didn't sell for crap company wide. They bombed terribly, so quit talking sales when clearly it's not about what games are selling. They also push Kinect games. Games that don't even get close to a million in sales. Tell me again how it's NOT because Microsoft is paying for advertising space.

Prime example. The Incredible hulk: ultimate destruction by vivendi games sold less than 270k units in north america in it's lifetime. We had to dedicate an entire 6 foot section to displaying the game and the standee. Why? The game got pretty average reviews, not bad but definitely not a top 10 for the year of its release. It was because Vivendi paid for it. That's all. The quality of the game and the sales didn't matter.

Enter the matrix sold roughly 2.8million units across three platforms (Xbox, GameCube, PS2). The reviews were absolutely horrible. Average is in the low 60s out of 100. Yet it had a 4 foot section for advertising. Atari paid for that space.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 12-05-2012 at 05:29 PM.
cmdrdredd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #27
American Gunner
Platinum Member

I guess one former gamestop manager knows all there is to know about the gaming industry. I'll just let you believe what you have in your head.
American Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #28
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
I guess one former gamestop manager knows all there is to know about the gaming industry. I'll just let you believe what you have in your head.
Wow...I posted facts with numbers to back it up. You post this? Shows how much you didn't know about how it works. It's all about advertising dollars. Anyone in marketing or merchandising knows this.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
exdeath
Lifer

Quote:
Because it's the highest selling game, so Gamestop puts it out there. It's just funny that exdeath can't go more than three posts without hating on those two franchises for being mainstream, yet he is all over Final Fantasies nuts. Like final fantasy didn't become mainstream or something.
I hate on FF13 too. FF13 is the way it is because of those other franchises and their mainstream success infecting greedy developers (or rather their funding parent funders and publishers) and pretty much ruining all other franchises. See also Resident Evil which was turned into a shooter to "appeal to CoD players"

Last edited by exdeath; 12-05-2012 at 07:04 PM.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #30
reallyscrued
Platinum Member

Quote:
Either you're trollin or just stupid.

The dude actually backed up his argument with facts (at least in this thread). Until you have evidence to suggest otherwise...I guess we'll just have let you believe what in *your* head.

*Sigh* Don't know how a thread on Nintendo Power turned into this. I actually had to look back at the thread title to remember what I was reading about.

AMD Phenom II BE965 - 4.0 Ghz || Gigabyte 7850 2GB - 1050/5500 || GA-MA790X-UD4P - 240 Mhz FSB
4 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 - 800 Mhz || WD Caviar Black 1TB || WD Caviar Green 2TB
Denon AVR-591 || Pioneer SP-FS51/C21/BS-41 || BIC F12 || Klipsch RW-12D || Sennheiser HD 202-II || Panasonic TC-P50U50
reallyscrued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #31
Sulaco
Platinum Member

Quote:
Because it's the highest selling game, so Gamestop puts it out there. It's just funny that exdeath can't go more than three posts without hating on those two franchises for being mainstream, yet he is all over Final Fantasies nuts. Like final fantasy didn't become mainstream or something.
Er...um...I do believe exdeath has, on MANY occasions, complained about and attacked the new Final Fantasy games, especially FF7 and FF13.
Sulaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #32
exdeath
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post
Er...um...I do believe exdeath has, on MANY occasions, complained about and attacked the new Final Fantasy games, especially FF7 and FF13.
Yes. Square has been dead to me for many years now. They sold out to the Halo+Fast and the Furious crowd.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #33
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by exdeath View Post
I hate on FF13 too. FF13 is the way it is because of those other franchises and their mainstream success infecting greedy developers (or rather their funding parent funders and publishers) and pretty much ruining all other franchises. See also Resident Evil which was turned into a shooter to "appeal to CoD players"
Quote:
Originally Posted by exdeath View Post
Yes. Square has been dead to me for many years now. They sold out to the Halo+Fast and the Furious crowd.
lol
purbeast0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #34
reallyscrued
Platinum Member

...lol

AMD Phenom II BE965 - 4.0 Ghz || Gigabyte 7850 2GB - 1050/5500 || GA-MA790X-UD4P - 240 Mhz FSB
4 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 - 800 Mhz || WD Caviar Black 1TB || WD Caviar Green 2TB
Denon AVR-591 || Pioneer SP-FS51/C21/BS-41 || BIC F12 || Klipsch RW-12D || Sennheiser HD 202-II || Panasonic TC-P50U50
reallyscrued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #35
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyscrued View Post

The dude actually backed up his argument with facts (at least in this thread). Until you have evidence to suggest otherwise...I guess we'll just have let you believe what in *your* head.

*Sigh* Don't know how a thread on Nintendo Power turned into this. I actually had to look back at the thread title to remember what I was reading about.
Just talking about nostalgia and how there wasn't multimillion dollar marketing campaigns back in the heyday of Nintendo power. Remembering what it was like as a kid to walk into toys r us and look down the isle at all the systems and games. Even obscure titles were readily available. Today it is smaller with some titles being hard to find. Persona 4 golden for vita is only available at GameStop in many areas and none of the big box stores have it in stock. Things have changed over the years. That's all we were saying. I mentioned advertising dollars being pumped into certain games that push other great titles aside.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #36
Mitsurux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
I kind of want to buy an old issue 1, get the last issue and frame them. It's a bit geeky, but I used to read the heck out of Nintendo Power during the NES, SNES and N64 days.
I bought the last issue and already have it framed and on the wall in my home office... (i think i may hunt down issue one)

Regardless its truly the end of an era and shows how much print media has declined
Mitsurux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #37
ImpulsE69
Diamond Member

OH there were....no one remembers the endless ZEEEEEELLLLDAAAAA commercials? Of course back then, we were easier to please because for the most part, it was all new and such a striking step ahead of Atari ;p

The World Needs a Reset Button.
ImpulsE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #38
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulsE69 View Post
OH there were....no one remembers the endless ZEEEEEELLLLDAAAAA commercials? Of course back then, we were easier to please because for the most part, it was all new and such a striking step ahead of Atari ;p
The only commercial I really remember is the one with the robot and some vague "now you're playing with power" spots.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #39
SandEagle
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
The only commercial I really remember is the one with the robot and some vague "now you're playing with power" spots.
dude who can forget this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtuK4CU3ko

i like the parody of that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfDbuPmE8VU
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #40
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandEagle View Post
Nope don't remember lol. I do like the part "your parents help you hook it up" cause I hooked up my own NES when I got it one christmas because I was familiar with plugging in electronics and stuff having owned a Commodore 64 prior to that time. I must have been about 6 maybe 7 at when I first got an NES.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #41
SandEagle
Lifer

wow, the final issue is going for 20 and up on some ebay sites. you can order it here though for like six dollars. dont know what the difference is between subscriber and newstand version though

http://shop.futureus.com/games/ninte...cover-533.html
Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #42
cmdrdredd
Lifer

The newstand cover has the barcode in the lower left corner of the cover. The Subscriber cover does not.
Newstand Cover

Subscriber Cover

It's also pays homage to issue #1 which featured Super Mario Bros. 2
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #43
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulsE69 View Post
Yeah, it really is breathtaking when you look back at how technology leaped forward over the last 25 years.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #44
applesj4924usa
Banned

terrible news. Sad
applesj4924usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #45
Topweasel
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyscrued View Post

I think it's a two part discussion that neither person wants to have. Endcap space and Display area's are always sold. Doesn't matter the company.

But that doesn't mean that places don't recognize a well selling franchise or hyped game and try to capitalize on it. For example I went in to BB hand found Halo 4 to be taking a lot of shelf space. That wasn't because Microsoft was pushing it. Halo 4 advertising and paid for shelf space was already gone. It was because compared to the other 60-80 titles they were stocking it was the best selling.

Not all shelve space equals corporate back scratching. But that doesn't mean that no money is exchanging hands for shelve space.

But his original point still stands. Games like CoD and Madden. They sell well. Some people don't like them. Some people don't like what their success means to gaming in general. But whether its launch week/month advertising or having a skewed stock of games in their favor on the shelve they are very popular game series that whether someone likes the game or not have earned their place on the shelve.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #46
purbeast0
Lifer

man the old TRU stores used to own where you would see the entire aisle full of game covers and could flip it upside down to see what the back of the cover looked like. and like others mentioned they had virtually every game.

then you could browse the other side behind that aisle and you would see all the consoles in the glass plated display cases, starting with the cheap consoles to the left ending with the neo geo and other expensive consoles/toys to the right.

then when you found somethign you wanted, you would grab the ticket (if there were any left) and go pay for the ticket. the you would take the ticket to the "office window" of the little room they stored everything in.

god i remember how awesome that whole process used to be as a kid, back when i would pick a game for my birthday or something based simply off of the box cover. that is how i got actraiser.

and when there would be no tickets left, sometimes you could get lucky and ask the people behind the office window if they actually had any left and sometimes they would find a straggler back there.
purbeast0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #47
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
man the old TRU stores used to own where you would see the entire aisle full of game covers and could flip it upside down to see what the back of the cover looked like. and like others mentioned they had virtually every game.

then you could browse the other side behind that aisle and you would see all the consoles in the glass plated display cases, starting with the cheap consoles to the left ending with the neo geo and other expensive consoles/toys to the right.

then when you found somethign you wanted, you would grab the ticket (if there were any left) and go pay for the ticket. the you would take the ticket to the "office window" of the little room they stored everything in.

god i remember how awesome that whole process used to be as a kid, back when i would pick a game for my birthday or something based simply off of the box cover. that is how i got actraiser.

and when there would be no tickets left, sometimes you could get lucky and ask the people behind the office window if they actually had any left and sometimes they would find a straggler back there.
The ticket system was a nightmare. If it was empty it didn't mean sold out, we have to constantly scan every item and check inventory and print more tickets. I worked at TRU for a year before they removed this system. Still something about it felt better because it was all games and every game available was there and you knew you'd get a sealed copy.

Also I remember buying my $600 neo-geo from the glass case. I asked if I could buy the display model cause they didn't have any others in stock.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #48
SandEagle
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
The newstand cover has the barcode in the lower left corner of the cover. The Subscriber cover does not.
Newstand Cover

Subscriber Cover

It's also pays homage to issue #1 which featured Super Mario Bros. 2
i see that. if i buy the subscriber version i don't want them to inscribe my name and address on it. wouldn't be able to sell it in the future. i assume that, if they become collector's items in the future, it wouldn't matter having one over the other? i have the premier copy in mint condition. bought it for $20 a few years ago. see them going for almost $300 now
Old 12-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #49
shortylickens
No Lifer

I had a subscription and got issues 1-50 plus maybe a couple extra. Also had all the published strategy guides you got for resubscribing.
When I left for the Navy mom tossed everything in the trash. I cried.
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote