· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #51
Greenlepricon

You guys are being kinda tough about this. Adaptive vsync is useful for some people. I myself find it useless cause I think games are usually perfectly playable at 30fps, and If the framerate drops under that I need to lower settings or buy a new card. Other people apparently have super human eyeballs (or at least better than mine ) and claim that it becomes a huge handicap unless they're at as high a framerate as possible. Nvidia wanted to fix this through a bit of marketing magic. Yeah it kinda sucks to get the tearing, and if your game runs normal without adaptive vsync then maybe that is the problem. I just avoid it, and I wouldn't blame you if you did the same. It is unfortunate that you get the tearing and in my opinion, if turning adaptive vsync off fixes it then it's worth having off.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #52
pakotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota View Post
everyone but YOU seems to understand exactly what the point of it is but keep making yourself look silly.
Why are you coming down on him? He's absolutely right, you shouldn't have screen tearing at all with adaptive vsync, and yet you clearly do.

There would be no point of having adaptive vsync if it capped your framerate AND didn't greatly reduce tearing, except maybe for the elimination of microstuttering in multigpu scenarios, or some tertiary non-game uses.

edit: to reiterate why: it's only double buffered vsync that affords the jarring factor of refresh step-down.

Last edited by pakotlar; 12-11-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #53
pakotlar

What's the difference between adaptive vsync and normal vsync that w/ triple buffering? That also does not cause the step down down to 30fps. I understand the there is a latency disadvantage, 1 frame, and the extra memory requirement, but that's it right?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #54
toyota
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakotlar View Post
Why are you coming down on him? He's absolutely right, you shouldn't have screen tearing at all with adaptive vsync, and yet you clearly do.

There would be no point of having adaptive vsync if it capped your framerate AND didn't greatly reduce tearing, except maybe for the elimination of microstuttering in multigpu scenarios, or some tertiary non-game uses.

edit: to reiterate why: it's only double buffered vsync that affords the jarring factor of refresh step-down.
so in other words you are just as clueless on the topic as he is?

Quote:
What's the difference between adaptive vsync and normal vsync that w/ triple buffering? That also does not cause the step down down to 30fps. I understand the there is a latency disadvantage, 1 frame, and the extra memory requirement, but that's it right?
it is amazing how many times the same thing has to be explained over and over and over...

Last edited by toyota; 12-11-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #55
Greenlepricon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota View Post
so in other words you are just as clueless on the topic as he is?

it is amazing how many times the same thing has to be explained over and over and over...
Dude please don't act like a jerk about this...

Triple vsync adds buffers when your card is working. You still get the step down, but it probably won't be as large as with vsync and no buffers. So it's the same as vsync except your card is buffering to squeeze a couple more frames in where it can. You do in cases have problems with what you mentioned, but the point of adaptive vsync is that vsync is supposed to be off entirely. It takes some resources, but nothing significant.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #56
Keysplayr
Elite Member

Looks like you're being played folks.

i5 2500K Asus P-Z68-V/Gen3 Titan Black SLI
Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #57
Leyawiin
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaxi83 View Post
Oh yeah, adaptive vsync works perfectly fine on my sons machine with his GTX680.
OP might want to get a GPU actually capable of consistently exceeding the refresh rate in modern games (such as your son's ).
Old 12-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #58
headhumper
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyawiin View Post
OP might want to get a GPU actually capable of consistently exceeding the refresh rate in modern games (such as your son's ).
Why as I dont have an issue in the games I play.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #59
2is
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
I thought everyone knew Adaptive V-sync doesn't work on Canadian GPU's.
I LOL'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhumper View Post
I bought this GPU @ Micro Center in L.A. when I was on Vacation.
I LMAO
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #60
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

The GPU GPS still shuts off Adapative Vsync when it leaves the US and goes to canada. I thought everyone knew this. It's on the box.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #61
boxleitnerb
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhumper View Post
Most people like vsync because it keep the frame rate LOCKED to your monitors refreshrate therfore insuring smooth gameplay and IQ with no image tearing.
No it doesn't. It keeps the framerate from going ABOVE the refreshrate, but not from going BELOW.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #62
BD231
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
I thought everyone knew Adaptive V-sync doesn't work on Canadian GPU's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
Looks like you're being played folks.

DEATH TO GANGSTALKERS. MAY YOU ALL DIE A SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATH.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #63
ICDP

Quote:
Nvidia adaptive vsync is simply a one click option to cap the FPS at your monitors refresh rate. The exact same method could be gained by leaving vsync off and setting an FPS cap. The benefit with Nvidia is that you don't need to mess around with 3rd party tools to achieve this. It is an option directly in the GPU CP. I personally think it is a nice feature and such a simple yet effective solution. It isn't earth shattering or anything, but it is a very welcome standard feature.

It isn't for everyone as it does still get tearing at lower FPS but is vastly reduced compared to the tearing that occurs over the monitor's refresh rate. If you want perfect tear free gaming then you need to use the traditional normal vsync with triple buffering option.

Last edited by ICDP; 12-12-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #64
3DVagabond
Diamond Member

I understand what the OP is saying. VSync isn't really good if the FPS is going to drop below the screens refresh rate. We were lead to believe that Adaptive VSync would give us the best of both worlds, as it would stop screen tearing and allow max FPS below the refresh rate instead of performance tanking. The part they don't mention is you will have screen tearing when it switches off below the refresh rate. So, it's choosing between lower framerates or screen tearing. I don't think they quite market it that way.

Adaptive VSync! Now you can have capped framerates and screen tearing, "The way it's meant to be Played".

Doesn't really seem like that great of a selling point when worded like that.

As far as people being hostile towards the OP goes, he's not being rude or hostile. He made a post that to him showed a problem with Adaptive VSync. Again, nowhere in the marketing does it mention you will have screen tearing when you use it. It makes sense that you do, and that could just be pointed out, but there's no reason for us to attack him. It's a legit post. He's provided evidence to back it up, which is a lot more than I can say for some long time posters here, never mind a new poster.

OP, here's the bottom line. For the best gameplay experience use VSync, or Adaptive VSync, and adjust your settings so the FPS don't drop below the refresh rate of your screen. It's OK if it drops a frame or two in a few spots, but if you are dropping below the refresh rate enough that gameplay is suffering, you need to reduce settings. As much as marketing would like to make us believe that Adaptive ASync eliminates problems with FPS dropping below the screen refresh rate, it's only a different solution to standard VSync, not a true fix.

I also agree with the OP that occasionally dropping to 30fps, but still being sync'd with the screens refresh rate is better than screen tearing. Dropping below it too much though means you have your game settings too high.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #65
notty22
Diamond Member

Actual gaming web sites have reviewed this feature. It's not hard to show something in a bad light if you set out to undermine. Even worse to announce something is BS, spewing propaganda and then ignoring all back and forth discussion and attempt at enlightenment.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...ology_review/3
Quote:
Adaptive VSync

We've tried to show you Adaptive VSync in action the best we can with the tools we have. There is only so much you can show in a graph. Adaptive VSync is a gameplay experience technology that doesn't come across in a table or a graph as clearly as it does when you the gamer are sitting in front of the display. The best way to experience the technology is the direct hands on approach, and unfortunately we just can't present that to you here. The best we can do is tell you how great it is, and use the data we've accumulated to show you the graphs as we did on the previous page.
Let's make sure history never forgets... the name... 'Enterprise'. Picard out.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #66
Keysplayr
Elite Member

There is also the option for half the refresh rate in Adaptive Vsync in the control panel.
Basically giving you Vsync but with a cap of 30fps (if your monitor uses 60hz as default).
If you have a weaker GPU this might be a good option for you.

Last edited by Keysplayr; 12-12-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #67
SirPauly
Diamond Member

Indeed! And in nVinspector there is flexibility for 1/4 and 1/3 the refresh rate, which may come in handy for 120hz screens!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #68
Ferzerp
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDP View Post
Nvidia adaptive vsync is simply a one click option to cap the FPS at your monitors refresh rate. The exact same method could be gained by leaving vsync off and setting an FPS cap. The benefit with Nvidia is that you don't need to mess around with 3rd party tools to achieve this. It is an option directly in the GPU CP. I personally think it is a nice feature and such a simple yet effective solution. It isn't earth shattering or anything, but it is a very welcome standard feature.
You're completely incorrect. It is not a framerate cap. A framerate cap is entirely decoupled from the monitor refresh rate, and still subject to tearing. 60 fps v-sync does not equate to 60 fps no-vsync
Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #69
ICDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferzerp View Post
You're completely incorrect. It is not a framerate cap. A framerate cap is entirely decoupled from the monitor refresh rate, and still subject to tearing. 60 fps v-sync does not equate to 60 fps no-vsync
You are correct, I should have chose my words more wisely.
With adaptive vsync if everything runs at 60FPS then you get normal vsync with no tearing. If it goes below that number it turns off vsync and leads to some tearing. If you set an FPS cap and turn off vsync you will always get tearing.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #70
Keysplayr
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDP View Post
You are correct, I should have chose my words more wisely.
With adaptive vsync if everything runs at 60FPS then you get normal vsync with no tearing. If it goes below that number it turns off vsync and leads to some tearing. If you set an FPS cap and turn off vsync you will always get tearing.
Right. It could lead to tearing, but not likely as tearing is usually a result of the GPU outputting frames faster than the refresh rate of the monitor, but does prevent that sudden jerky drop to 30fps as regular Vsync can do.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #71
Final8ty

When im in the 240FPS zone i hardly notice any tearing.
3xMSI HD 7950 OC BE @1065/1465 stock volts.
32GB Ballistix Tactical Tracer
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Corsair AX1200 PSU
Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #72
Keysplayr
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
When im in the 240FPS zone i hardly notice any tearing.
Rest assured that tearing is taking place. Unless you have a 240Hz monitor.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #73
Final8ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
Rest assured that tearing is taking place. Unless you have a 240Hz monitor.
Hence why i said hardly notice= i noticed a little tearing
3xMSI HD 7950 OC BE @1065/1465 stock volts.
32GB Ballistix Tactical Tracer
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Corsair AX1200 PSU

Last edited by Final8ty; 12-12-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #74
GotNoRice

I find adaptive Vsync to be a great feature. I don't like tearing, but if I can't maintain 120fps (I have a 120hz monitor) then IMO tearing becomes the lesser evil.

With adaptive Vsync, I can have as much FPS as possible, and if it goes over 120 (and only then) Vsync is enabled automatically.

If I didn't have the option for Adaptive Vsync, I'd probably just leave VSync disabled in most situations. So in my case at least adaptive VSync does give me an option to reduce tearing that I wouldn't otherwise have/use.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #75
Keysplayr
Elite Member

forget it.

Last edited by Keysplayr; 12-12-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Closed Thread