· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Jesster

Default Looking for advice from an EE/Digital Video Signal expert.

Not sure if this is a good place to ask this, but here goes.

Recently, one of the two DVI out ports on my video card died. Normally, I have both my computer monitor and my home theater digital projector plugged in, but now I have to constantly swap cables whenever I switch between them.

Originally, I thought I might be able to solve this easily with one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...g=hardfocom-20 since both the monitor and the projector are the same native resolution and support the same refresh rate. Unfortunately, I didn't count on Windows 7's overzealous PnP monitor detection. I can temporarily get the signal correct for both monitors, but only while both are turned on. If I turn either one off, I lose signal to the other one.

I've done a fair amount of searching online for a simple software solution to disable PnP monitor detection, but it seems while this was possible on previous versions of Windows, no one has found a way to do it on Windows 7.

So now, what I'm thinking about doing is trying to build my own "Smart Splitter". The idea would be to do a straight split of all the video signal lines, but rig it so the video card only sees the Hot Plug Detect (DVI pin 16), DDC Clock (pin 6), and DDC Data (pin 7) from one monitor or the other, but never mixes the signal of both. Here's a diagram of how I plan to do it: https://plus.google.com/u/1/photos/1...17207087020802

However, I'm unsure of a few things:
  • High/low voltages on DDC Clock and DDC Data. Would they be compatible with +5 V and Ground from pins 14 and 15.
  • Maximum DDC clock speed. Will I need to specifically look for chips with high-speed logic gates to support the DDC clock.
  • Anything else I might be missing.
If anyone has any expertise in this area or knows where I can find such expertise to clarify these points (or just let me know if the whole thing is even viable or not), I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Jesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
WaitingForNehalem
Platinum Member

Umm, why not just get one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130788
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127584
Intel Core i7 920 with Corsair A70 | ASUS Sabertooth X58 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | Creative Sound Blaster Z | 12GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 | CM Storm Sniper Black Edition | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | WD Caviar Black 500GB & 1TB | Antec TruePower New 750W
WaitingForNehalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Jesster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForNehalem View Post
I suppose one of those might work. I actually tried installing a video card from my old machine, but my power supply didn't have enough PCI-E power plugs to support both cards (the GTX275 uses two). I also use this machine for gaming, so I don't want to give up the power of the current card. However, a cheap card that doesn't require additional power might be the answer.

On the other hand, I'm kind of curious as to weather my splitter design is viable. So I may want to try it anyway if the parts aren't too expensive.
Jesster is offline   Reply With Quote