Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Default Rosewill mechanical keyboard (MX Red) $55 FS AC

Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000RE with Cherry MX Red Switch

$99.99
free shipping
-$45 promo code EMCJHJJ232 (exp.12/17)
=$54.99 shipped

I'm using one of these right now typing this message. Cherry MX Red are considered a "gaming" keyswitch, but to me it types fine. This is the cheapest I've seen this keyboard.

Mechanical Keyboard Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry MX Red
Tactile: No
Clicky: No
Cherry MX-Red's are another switch that can be considered a "gaming" switch. It's essentially a lighter version of the MX Black, requiring less force to actuate. Some people do not find this switch that good for typing or gaming because it is so light, but others rave for this fact. Light or Stiff is always a matter of preference. This switch was hard to find; and was reported as EOL, but it is still in limited production with a higher than average MOQ leading to higher cost to board makers. Marketed with high demand, boards with this switch are becoming more common, but are generally more expensive as well.
This Rosewill keyboard is a completely standard key layout, so no surprises there. While it is mechanical, it does NOT have a click. The loudest sound it makes is the keys bottoming out as you use the keyboard, so how loud it gets depends on how hard you pound that biatch! Just like some women I have, ahem, seen in pr0n.

The keyboard has a mini USB port on it for the detachable cable. It comes with a normal USB cable, plus a PS/2 cable. I kind of wish the port was recessed.

The feel of the keyboard is phenomenal. I like it much more than my previous mechanical keyboard, the abs m1 which uses a simplified Alps Black keyswitch. The abs was a bit inconsistent and required some getting used to, plus the key travel had some friction. The Rosewill Red feels soooo much better. While Cherry MX Reds are considered "fast" and "gaming," it feels great to my fingers for typing as well.

Only "con" so far is that some of the keys are already showing wear. My abs keyboard showed wear faster, and indeed some keys became completely blank and smooth quite quickly. Could be my heavy finger banging, but that's the way I roll. The keys on this Rosewill are becoming worn (mostly WASD, go figure) but I have a good half year on them and the abs wore this way within the month.

I have not used other Cherry MX types, so I cannot comment.

These keyboards get a lot of 1/5 egg ratings due to the mini USB port that the detachable keyboard cable plugs into. Some have broken theirs so be careful of accidentally snagging the cable. Many of the bad reviews are probably people not plugging the cord in all the way. Mine is like that. When going to/coming back from LAN parties, if I'm not thinking about it the keyboard will no longer work until I unplug/replug snugly.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
BTRY B 529th FA BN
Lifer

Hell of a deal. Any strange issues with yours? I have 2 Corsair K 60s. One isn't opened yet as I bought a second as a backup, and I may sell it if this is a better keyboard. The only problem I've had with my K60 is sometimes a key will get stuck in "repeat" mode, or I'll find a key will activate without any input on it. I found this alot with my old Steelseries 6gV2 that used Black switches. On that note I'll say the Reds are better for arena type games like UT3 where double tapping to dodge is vital to avoid being fragged. So what do you say about yours?
Rig1: Xeon X5660 6core 32nm @ 4GHz @ 1.23v, Asrock X58, GTX 670 FTW, Samsung 128Gb 840 Pro, Vertex2 100Gb, Cherry MX Reds, 2009 Seasonic X 650w, Aluminum Full tower - Currently doing gaming and daily duties.
Rig2: i7 970 6core 32nm @ Stock, EVGA 760 Classified,
Nvidia 0db 210, Elpida Hyper CL6.6.6.15, Samsung Evo 120Gb, Vertex LE 100Gb, Cherry MX Blacks, Sidewinder X3, Enermax Revo 950w, Obsidian 800D - On Vacation
BTRY B 529th FA BN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
cytoSiN
Golden Member

Dammit Zap...my mechanical-keyboard addiction does NOT need this right now. Good deal though
Remus (HTPC): 4670k | Noctua NH-L12 | 8GB RipjawsX | Asus Z87Pro | EVGA 760SC | Intel520 | 10TB NAS | Seasonic G550 | Silverstone GD08B | Panasonic 55VT50
cytoSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
killster1
Diamond Member

love this keyboard and would order 3 if it had a diff connector.. maybe if it breaks i can fix it myself? really want one ;()
Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
cytoSiN
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killster1 View Post
love this keyboard and would order 3 if it had a diff connector.. maybe if it breaks i can fix it myself? really want one ;()
What's wrong with the connector? It has detachable USB and PS/2 cables...pretty versatile. Some of the highest quality mechanicals have similar mini-USB detachables (e.g., Ducky). If you're appropriately gentle with it, you'll be fine. Overall, it's not a super high quality mechanical keyboard, but it's decent, and at this price you really can't beat it (although I really don't like red switches, but that's a very personal preference).
Remus (HTPC): 4670k | Noctua NH-L12 | 8GB RipjawsX | Asus Z87Pro | EVGA 760SC | Intel520 | 10TB NAS | Seasonic G550 | Silverstone GD08B | Panasonic 55VT50

Last edited by cytoSiN; 12-11-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

The ps/2 connector is what gives this keyboard the ability to not ghost key presses. Makes for a great gaming keyboard. I may have ask for forgiveness from the wife to get this. Permission never works.
VulgarDisplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Davesify

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post
What's wrong with the connector? It has detachable USB and PS/2 cables...pretty versatile. Some of the highest quality mechanicals have similar mini-USB detachables (e.g., Ducky). If you're appropriately gentle with it, you'll be fine. Overall, it's not a super high quality mechanical keyboard, but it's decent, and at this price you really can't beat it (although I really don't like red switches, but that's a very personal preference).
The mini-usb port on the keyboard itself comes loose over time and starts to give a very flakey connection. I have one of these Rosewill models with Black cherries and resoldred the connector several times before cutting cord and soldering straight to the KB pcb. Once fixed, works great

ftr, it took 3-4months of desktop usage and barely being moved before connection problems.

although I've had issues, I will be ordering one of these this Friday if instock due to price
Davesify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
Nessism
Golden Member

Been researching mechanical keyboards and lots of good press about Rosewill mechanical keyboards in general, except for that connector issue. Saw where the connector issue has been improved with recent builds but I'd like some more assurance on this detail, or at least assurance the issue can be resolved easily enough.

My kid keep busting keyboards while gaming. Blame myself for buying cheap keyboards. Already have a Cooler Master with brown switches stashed for Christmas, but wouldn't mind keeping that one for myself and giving him a red switch keyboard instead because he games so much.

Edit: reviews pan this thing for the USB connector issue. Going to have to pass.

HEAT

Last edited by Nessism; 12-12-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Nessism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTRY B 529th FA BN View Post
Any strange issues with yours?
So what do you say about yours?
If you read through my entire OP, I think you'll find your answers there.

tl;dr

I like mine and am still using it. No problems other than having to re-plug in the cable (but only after disconnecting keyboard for transportation) and keys showing some wear (which happens to ALL my keyboards).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post
What's wrong with the connector?
Fragile, plus can be fiddly (fixed by firmly re-plugging it in) even when new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesify View Post
I have one of these Rosewill models with Black cherries and resoldred the connector several times before cutting cord and soldering straight to the KB pcb. Once fixed, works great
Great idea! If it happens to mine, I'll probably do that.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
Anubis
No Lifer

This product cannot be shipped to NY

F U NEWEGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
so how loud it gets depends on how hard you pound that biatch!

Could be my heavy finger banging, but that's the way I roll.

will no longer work until I unplug/replug snugly.
LOL.

Edit: Only three eggs makes me want to steer clear.
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec

Last edited by VirtualLarry; 12-12-2012 at 04:32 PM.
VirtualLarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
cytoSiN
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
This product cannot be shipped to NY

F U NEWEGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF? Why not?