· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #26
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul98 View Post
How would you send a message in the first place? It doesn't get re-randomized as you can tell when you compare the measurement results.

Lets say you have a bunch of particles entangled, I can measure or not measure them. If I measure I get an up or down measurement, I can't control which I get. For each that I measure I know that the other person if they measure it's entangled particle will get the opposite of what I measured. When one person looks at their measurements they just get a bunch of random up/down measurements. It doesn't matter if the other person measured theirs or not. When you compare the measurements if they measured entangled particles one will get up the other will get down. But they can't control which they get.
Why not? If it's all a matter of probability then couldn't one person just repeatably measure each individual particle until the desired outcome is achieved?
irishScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #27
slashbinslashbash
Golden Member

Getting back to the question I asked earlier in the thread:

Can anyone tell me how the current experiments on entangled particles are being conducted? How can they know for sure that the "communication" between the particles is faster than light? Because apparently they do know this. What is the exact methodology of the tests?

In my mind, t goes back to the quantum slit experiments. If you pass a single electron through 2 slits, then it shows interference, i.e. it is a wave. So it has not been determined, it exists in an indeterminate state and we can tell that it is is an indeterminate state because it shows interference. But if we put a detector at the slits to see which one it passed through, it no longer shows interference, i.e. its multiple wave-states have "collapsed" down to a single state and it is now acting as a particle instead of a wave.

So say we have 2 entangled particles. As long as both of them are in wave form, they both continue to behave that way, but when one of them is collapsed to particle form then the other one collapses immediately (to an opposite state, phase=up instead of down or something like that). So we take one particle, take it across the universe and keep passing it through slits, it keeps showing up as a wave. Then at some point the partner particle is detected so it collapses to a particle state, and then the paired particle also collapses to a particle state and no longer exhibits wave behaviors. So that is point "A" of our communication as posited in the OP.

Please tell me where I'm wrong on this.
Canon 5D|40D|17-40L|24-105L|70-200L|50/1.4|85/1.8|100/2.8 Macro|580EX|430EX|AlienBees

The Left is not merely gauche; it is downright sinister.
slashbinslashbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #28
Paul98
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishScott View Post
Why not? If it's all a matter of probability then couldn't one person just repeatably measure each individual particle until the desired outcome is achieved?
After the measurement it's no longer entangled.
Paul98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #29
wirednuts
Diamond Member

so its like a photon being measured, where the mere physical activity of looking at it causes its destruction? makes sense, as theyre the same thing. ugh i didnt really think of that. anyway cool stuff though. sure would be nice to send a robot to another planet and control it in realtime...
wirednuts is offline   Reply With Quote