Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
fschris
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 63
Default Monoprice mechanical keyboard

Anyone think this is a good deal... or is this keyboard a piece of junk?

I would be interested in this for gaming. I'm not an elite level gamer but I really need a new keyboard. I have an 8 year old MS keyboard right now.

40.19 on sale right now

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...cd=decdeals122

Last edited by fschris; 12-07-2012 at 10:10 AM.
fschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
jackstar7
Diamond Member
 
jackstar7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,217
Default

I don't think you want MX Blues for a gaming keyboard.
__________________
ASUS P8Z77-WS + 3770K@4.1@1.07v + 4x4GB 1833 + Sapphire 7990 + 2x512gbM4 + X-Fi Forte
in an FT02 with an X-1250w + X270OC+XL2720T + Realforce 87U-Silent
jackstar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
gorb
Senior Member
 
gorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 555
Default

Gaming with mx blues is no problem. If this board is decent, that's a great price.
gorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
jackstar7
Diamond Member
 
jackstar7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorb View Post
Gaming with mx blues is no problem. If this board is decent, that's a great price.
I disagree. Blues are great for typing, but I wouldn't encourage them for gaming.

The actuation point can make a double-tap less fluid in my experience.

I guess I would just encourage anyone to try and test out the various MX styles before picking some up.

And checking out GeekHack can be worthwhile for some learned opinions as well.
__________________
ASUS P8Z77-WS + 3770K@4.1@1.07v + 4x4GB 1833 + Sapphire 7990 + 2x512gbM4 + X-Fi Forte
in an FT02 with an X-1250w + X270OC+XL2720T + Realforce 87U-Silent
jackstar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
The0ne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 454
Default

I've been testing out keyboards to find one that I feel comfortable using for long typing sessions. Most of the logitechs are too hard, the texture too strange and positioning a bit off, especially on the smaller more compact ones. I've gone to best buy, staples, officemax, etc to test them out and didn't find any that I liked. Heading to MC this weekend so I hope they have more selections for me to try out.

I like the keyboard on my M17xR2 laptop though. I can type 95WPM+ alphanumeric on it. That's the kind of keyboard I want for my home pc. Please, if anyone has any recommendation I would appreciate it. I good keyboard for typing makes all the difference in the world for me. Thanks.
__________________
The0ne
The0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
gorb
Senior Member
 
gorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstar7 View Post
I disagree. Blues are great for typing, but I wouldn't encourage them for gaming.

The actuation point can make a double-tap less fluid in my experience.

I guess I would just encourage anyone to try and test out the various MX styles before picking some up.

And checking out GeekHack can be worthwhile for some learned opinions as well.
Well, I've played with blacks/browns/blues/reds, and all of them are just fine imo. At $40, this is a cheap way to find out if you're comfortable with them or not.
gorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
jackstar7
Diamond Member
 
jackstar7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0ne View Post
I've been testing out keyboards to find one that I feel comfortable using for long typing sessions. Most of the logitechs are too hard, the texture too strange and positioning a bit off, especially on the smaller more compact ones. I've gone to best buy, staples, officemax, etc to test them out and didn't find any that I liked. Heading to MC this weekend so I hope they have more selections for me to try out.

I like the keyboard on my M17xR2 laptop though. I can type 95WPM+ alphanumeric on it. That's the kind of keyboard I want for my home pc. Please, if anyone has any recommendation I would appreciate it. I good keyboard for typing makes all the difference in the world for me. Thanks.
Logitech Illuminated is likely the kind of thing you're looking for.
__________________
ASUS P8Z77-WS + 3770K@4.1@1.07v + 4x4GB 1833 + Sapphire 7990 + 2x512gbM4 + X-Fi Forte
in an FT02 with an X-1250w + X270OC+XL2720T + Realforce 87U-Silent
jackstar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
PC911mickster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstar7 View Post
Logitech Illuminated is likely the kind of thing you're looking for.
Yup! Could not agree more
My PIC has her own PR firm and spends MANY hours each day writing and she absolutely loves it. The most telling thing for me is that I no longer hear her complaints of sore hands/wrists after a long day or days of typing.
__________________
Antec 900 case
Q6600 G0 oc'ed to 3 Ghz
DFI LT P35 T2R
Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7
Radeon HD 3870 512 MB
8 GB DDR2 800 A-DATA
OCZ Agility SSD 64 GB
Samsung 1 TB F3 32 MB cache SATA2 hdd
Asus DVD R/RW w/Lightscribe
W7 Ultimatum
PC911mickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
Steltek
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,485
Default

I think I read somewhere that this keyboard is a rebagged iOne Scorpius M10. If so, I wouldn't touch the thing unless it was less than $20 (and even then I'd think really long and hard about it first). You'd be better off saving for the next Rosewill keyboard sale at Newgg or putting the money towards a Unicomp (i.e. built using the IBM model "M" buckling spring design) USB keyboard.
Steltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Crow550
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,215
Default

They have had the MX Black on sale a few times for around $60.
Crow550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
ssm0002
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: GreenVegas
Posts: 25
Default

I love my 7yr old Unicomp...and my 22yr old original IBM p/s2 keyboard.
ssm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #12
RockNRule
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm0002 View Post
I love my 7yr old Unicomp...and my 22yr old original IBM p/s2 keyboard.
Yeah, a keyboard with no media or special function keys. I rate them right up there with my Abacus.
RockNRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
gorb
Senior Member
 
gorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 555
Default

media and special function keys are lame
gorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
mnewsham
Lifer
 
mnewsham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Under the covers
Posts: 11,291
Default

Do people use media and special function keys?

On a laptop I understand, volume control, screen brightness, airplane mode, etc.

For dekstop...not so much.
__________________
1920x1080, R7 260 1GB GDDR5, 16GB 2400Mhz DDR3, AMD A10-7850k @4.4Ghz, 480GB SSD, 2x240GB SSD, Windows 8.1
mnewsham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
BurnItDwn
Lifer
 
BurnItDwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Wauconda, IL
Posts: 18,840
Default

I prefer IBM Model M's over all others. I've typed on a couple of the Cherry switch keyboards, but, there's nothing like buckling springs. Unfortunatly, you're not going to find anything close to $40 for one of them though.
BurnItDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
alkemyst
No Lifer
 
alkemyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Corner of EPIC and ┼WESOME ST.
Posts: 80,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstar7 View Post
Logitech Illuminated is likely the kind of thing you're looking for.
I can agree. I loved my old mechanicals in the past, heck I was the IBM PS/2 FAQ maintainer for most of the 90's and some say it's real creator.

I have a K800. I use it wired. I don't like the key arrangement of their non-wireless one.

I replaced it recently with another one due to cat knocking down something on my old one. It actually started working again (water) the same day my new one arrived.
__________________
The Masamune blade would repel the leaves and let them flow safely down the stream, while the Murasame blade would attract and cut them up.
alkemyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
watek
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 930
Default

Has anybody actually used or bought this monoprice keyboard? One thing that concerns me is this is iOne oem made. And looks exactly like the scorpious m10 and the adessa keyboard. The quality does not look that great and read that over time the keys get really crooked.
watek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #18
NeonFlak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 492
Default

I have tried a couple keyboards using the blues and have exchanged/returned all of them. They just don't work with me for gaming, and are extremely loud compared to any of the other cherry switches.
NeonFlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #19
Casai
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6
Default

Just giving my opinion here, I play a lot of games and Cherry MX Blues work great. I also have blacks and browns. As a counterpoint, I think blues are actually better than blacks for double-tapping, because you know exactly where the actuation point is, and can apply just enough pressure to hover around that point, instead of mashing the key all the way down every time.

I love the clicky tactile and auditory feedback of blues (but I understand how that's a drawback for those with easily-annoyed roommates/SO's). I find blacks terrible to type on, and I guess if you're really hardcore you can switch between different keyboards for gaming vs. typing, but the tradeoff in convenience and desk space just isn't worth it for me.
Casai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
watek
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 930
Default

Same here, I use blacks but kind of regret it. I love the click sound the blue has. Blacks are just boring and I want the damn click, ha.
watek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #21
jonjonjon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watek View Post
Same here, I use blacks but kind of regret it. I love the click sound the blue has. Blacks are just boring and I want the damn click, ha.
yea. im looking for deal on a keyboard with the blues. i love the clickety clack.
jonjonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #22
bigboxes
Golden Member
 
bigboxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 1,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casai View Post
Just giving my opinion here, I play a lot of games and Cherry MX Blues work great. I also have blacks and browns. As a counterpoint, I think blues are actually better than blacks for double-tapping, because you know exactly where the actuation point is, and can apply just enough pressure to hover around that point, instead of mashing the key all the way down every time.

I love the clicky tactile and auditory feedback of blues (but I understand how that's a drawback for those with easily-annoyed roommates/SO's). I find blacks terrible to type on, and I guess if you're really hardcore you can switch between different keyboards for gaming vs. typing, but the tradeoff in convenience and desk space just isn't worth it for me.
Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves them. I'm pounding away on a Cherry branded board with MX Blues. I'm not sure about the quality of this particular brand of board, but blue switches are the shiz!
__________________
|| Core i7 920 D0 HT @ 3.2Ghz @ 1.2v || TRUE Rev.C + Noctua NF-P12 ||
|| P6T Deluxe V2 || 6GB Super Talent DDR3-1600 Cas 9-9-9-28 2T ||
|| Gigabyte Radeon HD 4890OC 1GB || SeaSonic M12D SS-850 850W ||
|| Cherry G80 || Windows 7 x64 Ultimate || WD Raptor 74GB ||
|| Antec P183 || LinksKey 4 port KVM || NEC 20WMGX2 ||
|| Creative Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic || Swans M-200 || Go Huskers!
bigboxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.