· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Jeff7181
Lifer

Default Looking for a new (or new to me) car

I'm bored with my 2009 Jetta 2.5L. I really only have it because I had to get out of a lease, and it stood out on the used car lot.

I drive 80 miles round trip to work every day, which is anywhere from 2-3 hours a day in the car. So I want something with plenty of creature comforts and something that gets good fuel mileage.

I'm open to new or used cars, don't really have any brand loyalty. Would prefer something less than 5 years old.

I've considered the new 2013 Cadillac ATS or a BMW 3 series. They're more than I'd like to spend, though. I'd like to get something under 30k. So then I was thinking maybe a used CTS?

I've considered a Suburu WRX... but I'm looking for something more refined in my "old age" I think. I used to drive an Altima Coupe, so I've considered the Altima sedan, but Nissan hasn't really done anything new that impresses me, I think I'd feel like I'm driving the same car I was 3 years ago. I don't really like any of Chevy's sedans. I can't convince myself buying a Chrysler/Dodge would be a smart move.

For a while now I've been sick of "stepping down into" my cars. I'm 6 feet tall. I've considered getting a truck. But I wouldn't really use a truck like a truck, and it wouldn't meet the fuel efficiency requirements I'm hoping to get. So I guess I'm leaning more towards a sport luxury sedan... likely used to get to the price point I want. I've considered Audi, but I'm undecided on whether I like their cars.

Any cars that stand out below $30k, can seat 4 adults, nice interior and good fuel economy?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
DominionSeraph
Diamond Member

Ford Fusion Hybrid?
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...Fusion-Hybrid/

"P&N: Not Quite as Bad as Stormfront"
DominionSeraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Fmr12B
Diamond Member

Buick Verano Turbo
Buick Regal Turbo (GS if you are an animal)
Ford Focus Titanium ($4-5K off MSRP for 2013's should not be hard)
Dodge Dart Turbo
Chrysler 300 V6 or Dodge Charger with 8spd Automatic - should be able to get into a Decently loaded one for $30K after discounts
2013 Ford Fusion (all new and 1.6L & 2.0L turbo engines available)
Hyundai Elantra Limited (heated leather rear seats)
Kia Optima Turbo
Acura TSX

The new Camry, Accord, Pasaat, Altima are all great cars as well. Just don't really have the "wow" styling.

Last edited by Fmr12B; 12-09-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Fmr12B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
hans007
Lifer

Used CTS probably wont get you great gas milage.

For under $30k I'd buy the fusion 1.6 with the optional stop start. Or maybe the 2.0 if you are worried since the 1.6 has been recalled.

I wouldn't get the Buick cars they are really heavy and thus not the greatest on gas from what I've read and its not like they are cheap.

Focus titanium are going for cheap.. I guess if you are looking the ST is there too but costs more. I wouldn't say the ST I'd as much about creature comforts.

One car I think that is very comfy but a little out of your price range that gets good mpg is a Mercedes c250. Maybe you can get a lightly optioned used 2012 under 30k

Last edited by hans007; 12-09-2012 at 05:16 PM.
hans007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
nerp
Diamond Member

Test drive a Charger.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
SandEagle
Lifer

infiniti g37

why people recommend a 1. to 1.6 liter ford is beyond me.

Free Palestein
SandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
saratoga172
Golden Member

2nd the G37 rec. Though I'm biased since I've got a G35. You can get a really nice 2-3 year old 20k miles for mid $20's.
saratoga172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
DominionSeraph
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandEagle View Post
infiniti g37

why people recommend a 1. to 1.6 liter ford is beyond me.
Why would you recommend a 25MPG highway car requiring premium fuel?

Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
Jeff7181
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerp View Post
Test drive a Charger.
I've been tempted. I just can't get over my feelings about Chrysler/Dodge.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Jeff7181
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominionSeraph View Post
I like the idea of it, and the 47 mpg sounds nice, I just don't know if it's going to be cost-effective. Basically it'll save me $1000 per year in gasoline costs, assuming $3.80 per gallon, so it'll take 5-6 years to recover the premium for the hybrid drive train. Of course, if gasoline goes up to $5 per gallon, it'll pay me back in as little as 3 years. Maybe I'll test drive one and see how I like the new model. I've read that the 2014 model year Fusion will have a plug-in hybrid... I wonder if it would be smart to wait for that.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
DominionSeraph
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff7181 View Post
I like the idea of it, and the 47 mpg sounds nice, I just don't know if it's going to be cost-effective. Basically it'll save me $1000 per year in gasoline costs, assuming $3.80 per gallon, so it'll take 5-6 years to recover the premium for the hybrid drive train.
The Hybrid starts at the higher SE trim, which is $23.7k base with the base 2.4L -- only a $3500 difference.

Quote:
've read that the 2014 model year Fusion will have a plug-in hybrid... I wonder if it would be smart to wait for that.
My google-fu says it'll start at $39k. Seems rather ridiculous for only a little additional battery capacity (15-20 miles electric.)

Old 12-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
halik
Lifer

Quote:
He's bored of his jetta, how exactly would this help?

CTS would fit the bill, or if you want something more executive:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...item564fe58466
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.

Last edited by halik; 12-09-2012 at 11:47 PM.
halik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #13
hans007
Lifer

Quote:
Why would you recommend a 25MPG highway car requiring premium fuel?
I used to have a g35. Its a real compromise. They are not that good on fuel . And they are sub par luxury wise. The first gen one I had luxury wise was no better than a loaded Nissan. In fact the key fob was the same as a friends sentra and most if the interior parts were shared with altimas and 350z interior. Fun to drive but not cushy. And the 37 ones the engine is pretty raspy at high rpm but at least the 2nd gen interior is a lot better.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
nerp
Diamond Member

Quote:
I've been tempted. I just can't get over my feelings about Chrysler/Dodge.
I was the same. Then I test drove one. It has been one happy ride ever since. Definitely not the same company it was even a couple years ago.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
Kroze
Diamond Member

Quote:
I like the idea of it, and the 47 mpg sounds nice, I just don't know if it's going to be cost-effective. Basically it'll save me $1000 per year in gasoline costs, assuming $3.80 per gallon, so it'll take 5-6 years to recover the premium for the hybrid drive train. Of course, if gasoline goes up to $5 per gallon, it'll pay me back in as little as 3 years. Maybe I'll test drive one and see how I like the new model. I've read that the 2014 model year Fusion will have a plug-in hybrid... I wonder if it would be smart to wait for that.
Did you know consumer reports tested the car and found that its the only car ever to have such a drastic difference from claimed mpg and actual? Claimed mpg 47, actual 39. All of the vehicles ever tested by consumer reports varied only 1-2mpg from manufacturer's claimed mpg.

On top of that, ford is recalling the 2013 fusions for spontaneous engine fire. Lol
Kroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
Jeff7181
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroze View Post
Did you know consumer reports tested the car and found that its the only car ever to have such a drastic difference from claimed mpg and actual? Claimed mpg 47, actual 39. All of the vehicles ever tested by consumer reports varied only 1-2mpg from manufacturer's claimed mpg.

On top of that, ford is recalling the 2013 fusions for spontaneous engine fire. Lol
I did not, that's good to know.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
Kroze
Diamond Member

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...212036096.html

The rumblings within the auto industry over the fuel economy of the new Ford C-Max Hybrid and the related Ford Fusion Hybrid broke into the open today when Consumer Reports announced both cars had fallen far short of the mileage promised by their window stickers -- with the C-Max some 10 mpg short of its 47 mpg rating and the Fusion Hybrid off 8 mpg. Ford has said everyone's mileage will vary, but the largest tracking of mileage by C-Max owners online backs up Consumer Reports. After the recent debacle involving Hyundai and Kia inflating mileage estimates on 900,000 cars, there's been more concern about automakers overstating their efficiencies. While the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency sets the rules for testing mileage, automakers self-certify most of the models they sell, with the EPA only sampling a small fraction as a backstop.
Consumer Reports says it tested the mileage on the C-Max and the Fusion Hybrid using a standard series of experiments it runs on all new models, including running up 2,000 miles of break-in time and using different drivers to compensate for driving styles. The result: the C-Max averaged 37 mpg, while the Fusion Hybrid hit 39 mpg. It's the largest difference between window-sticker figures and its testing that the magazine has seen. Jake Fisher, director of auto testing at Consumer Reports, says this means "most buyers won't get anything near 47 mpg in the real world."
Those results have been questioned by some, including Ford, who says some owners report getting better than 47 mpg. But there's another way to see whether the C-Max and Fusion are living up to their billing.
Tracking site Fuelly lets users sign up to keep score of how many miles they're traveling on a gallon of power. It's popular enough to reflect a worthwhile sampling of mileages for many models; for example, the 2013 Toyota Prius V, whose 212 owners registered with Fuelly have reported an average efficiency of 42.3 mpg -- dead-on with the Prius V's EPA combined city/highway estimate.
The sample size on Fuelly of Ford C-Max's owners isn't as big as the Prius V at 31, but it's far larger than any other public data source, and with 58,000 miles traveled, should be fairly representative of the C-Max's capabilities. Their reported mileage: 38.7 mpg -- in line with Consumer Reports. Fuelly only has four 2013 Fusion Hybrid owners, but even that small sample reports 39.9 mpg.
On the largest Ford C-Max owners forum, mileage results have sparked an ongoing debate about whether the car, the drivers or some other factor might be to blame for the underwhelming returns -- but most remain satisfied with their decision to buy one, and a few say even if they're short by a few miles per gallon, the C-Max still does better than what they were driving before:
Kroze is offline   Reply With Quote