· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Ichinisan
Lifer

Default iPhone 5 died today...

I got it at launch. Took perfect care of it. Using a Belkin Grip Candy Sheer (Glow/Blacktop) case and there's not a single scratch on it.

It's the best smartphone I've ever owned...until today. About an hour after I had last used it for a phone call, I realized that it was stuck on "Searching..." with no carrier logo or signal bars. I took it to different areas around town, reset network settings, reset all settings, and rebooted multiple times. I called AT&T and verified there were no known network issues. My old GSM iPhone 4 was working perfectly for my friend I sold it to (he uses Straight Talk, on AT&T's network).

Checked Settings > General > About and there's no IMEI. Also, "Modem Firmware" (baseband) is completely blank. I took the SIM out and rebooted. It still says "Searching..." forever instead of saying "NO SIM." I called Apple and told them the only thing I hadn't tried was a restore. They told me to try it, then have AT&T try another SIM if that didn't work (I'm pretty sure the SIM isn't the problem here, because the phone never says "NO SIM" when it's removed completely).

I attempted the restore and iTunes gives me error "-1." Apple's site says that's a hardware error. Now I can't even use the non-phone functions.

The closest Apple store is hours away and I have to go to work tomorrow. This sucks.

/whine
Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Eug
Lifer

Lemon. Be happy you shoud get a brand new one.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
iOS: iPad 2 | iPhone 5s
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Android: Nexus 7 (2012)
Eug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Lemon. Be happy you shoud get a brand new one.
Can't help it. iSad.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
DaveStall
Golden Member

That does bite but it happens with all phones I imagine. It took me three 4S's until I got one that actually worked correctly. The only part that really sucks is the inconvenience of being without a phone for a bit.

Last edited by DaveStall; 12-10-2012 at 10:27 AM.
DaveStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
bigrash
Lifer

Take it to the Apple store. I'm sure they'll fix it or replace it.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Childs
Diamond Member

Mine was replaced with a new one, and I just had a scratch on it.
Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrash View Post
Take it to the Apple store. I'm sure they'll fix it or replace it.
Yeah. That will be at 7:10 PM today. It takes several hours for me to go to the closest Apple Store.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Ichinisan
Lifer

Has anyone else had one die in this way?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
DaveStall
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinisan View Post
Yeah. That will be at 7:10 PM today. It takes several hours for me to go to the closest Apple Store.
You can't do the exchange at an ATT store or have them priority ship a replacement to you? I had to exchange two 4S phones and I always just did it through Verizon. The closest Apple store to me is a little over two hours away so that never even registered as a valid option.
DaveStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
I'm not sure if something is wrong with mine or not, but it may be similar to yours. I still have issues with my WiFi not working, and sometimes, my phone just drops its carrier connection completely. My iPad 4 uses a lot of the same internals, and it has no problem with WiFi or its cellular connection.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
Combined with my wife:

2x 3G
2x 3GS
2x 4S

We never had a phone die like that. The only issue I had was on one of the 3GS a stripe formed down the screen after a year or so. I brought it into the store and in 5 minutes they replaced the screen/lcd panel for free.
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
dbk
Lifer

I had a similar thing happen when I owned an iPhone 4.. I was getting no signal whatsoever. Swapped in a different sim card, restored, rebooted a bunch of times. What actually happened was that the radio antenna burned out or shorted out because of extreme heat. I had it charging during a 2 hr drive. I guess my car got too hot (It was really hot that day)? Took it to the apple store and got it replaced (with a refurb).
Old 12-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
Slamrish

Quote:
I got it at launch. Took perfect care of it. Using a Belkin Grip Candy Sheer (Glow/Blacktop) case and there's not a single scratch on it.

It's the best smartphone I've ever owned...until today. About an hour after I had last used it for a phone call, I realized that it was stuck on "Searching..." with no carrier logo or signal bars. I took it to different areas around town, reset network settings, reset all settings, and rebooted multiple times. I called AT&T and verified there were no known network issues. My old GSM iPhone 4 was working perfectly for my friend I sold it to (he uses Straight Talk, on AT&T's network).

Checked Settings > General > About and there's no IMEI. Also, "Modem Firmware" (baseband) is completely blank. I took the SIM out and rebooted. It still says "Searching..." forever instead of saying "NO SIM." I called Apple and told them the only thing I hadn't tried was a restore. They told me to try it, then have AT&T try another SIM if that didn't work (I'm pretty sure the SIM isn't the problem here, because the phone never says "NO SIM" when it's removed completely).

I attempted the restore and iTunes gives me error "-1." Apple's site says that's a hardware error. Now I can't even use the non-phone functions.

The closest Apple store is hours away and I have to go to work tomorrow. This sucks.

/whine
When you attempted to restore did you do a normal restore or a DFU restore?
Slamrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStall View Post
You can't do the exchange at an ATT store or have them priority ship a replacement to you? I had to exchange two 4S phones and I always just did it through Verizon. The closest Apple store to me is a little over two hours away so that never even registered as a valid option.
I didn't purchase it direct from AT&T. Also, if I wait for a priority shipment, I would still go days without a phone. I'm expecting important time-sensitive phone calls, so I couldn't do that. Even if AT&T would swap it, I've got the AppleCare warranty and an AT&T swap probably wouldn't keep the serial numbers straight with Apple.

Made the drive today. Probably a small fortune in gas...but got a new phone from Apple.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbk View Post
I had a similar thing happen when I owned an iPhone 4.. I was getting no signal whatsoever. Swapped in a different sim card, restored, rebooted a bunch of times. What actually happened was that the radio antenna burned out or shorted out because of extreme heat. I had it charging during a 2 hr drive. I guess my car got too hot (It was really hot that day)? Took it to the apple store and got it replaced (with a refurb).
Pretty sure this one wasn't heat related. Mine was in a dark, cool room. It was charging through the original compact USB charger that came with it. I'm always aware of phone overheating problems (had it happen with previous iPhones), so I always keep it as cool as possible. It was normal temperature when I noticed the problem and I fiddled with it for hours. It didn't get hot at all.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #16
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamrish View Post
When you attempted to restore did you do a normal restore or a DFU restore?
Tried both types of restore multiple times. I would always jailbreak my previous iPhones (and probably will jailbreak the 5 when there's a publicly-known way to do it). I've got the DFU timing down.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #17
AkumaX
Lifer

bummer. i'm thinking about taking mine to the store.
the phone has a huge problem with transitioning from off wifi to 3g network.

say for instance, if i'm at home and i use wifi, i'm fine.
but if i leave the house, it will switch to 3g, but will not 'use' the 3g signal unless i toggle the cellular data.
sometimes i even have to power off/on the phone.
anyone else have problems like that?
(o_ (o_ / /
(/)_ (\)_ V_/_
AkumaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
Ichinisan
Lifer

The synthesized speech is slightly different. It's noticeably more machine-like than it was with my previous iPhone 5. I've always used the default female Siri voice.

I'm not crazy. It's different.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
Ichinisan
Lifer

...when I was checking-in with someone at the Apple Store, the guy asked me to summarize the problem. I told him it was bricked and it gives an error message every time I try to restore it. He asked: "Is there an error number?" I told him it was "-1" and he appeared to be shocked. He said "on the 5?!" (as if the error code was unheard of for current-generation devices with the Lightning connector).
Old 12-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaX View Post
bummer. i'm thinking about taking mine to the store.
the phone has a huge problem with transitioning from off wifi to 3g network.

say for instance, if i'm at home and i use wifi, i'm fine.
but if i leave the house, it will switch to 3g, but will not 'use' the 3g signal unless i toggle the cellular data.
sometimes i even have to power off/on the phone.
anyone else have problems like that?
I don't have that problem, but I still see the following issues:

1) Incredibly exorbitant data use while streaming. Streaming IGN's IPL5 for an hour and a half used up 3.8GB of data . I was looking up random streaming sizes, and NetFlix apparently only uses 1GB-3GB for the top quality for an entire movie. I was watching a an hour and five minute YouTube video yesterday, and I decided to see how big the 720p version of it was. I installed a YouTube downloader plug-in, and the file was 750MB. Something is really wrong.

Essentially, never stream anything on your phone that uses Apple's multimedia libraries.

2) WiFi connections not working. My WiFi still stops working from time to time, and it seems the only way to fix it is to turn it off and on again. Normally, I just leave it off if it screws up as I'm only browsing the web with it, which doesn't chew up much data, and I'm on LTE.

3) My carrier sometimes disappears. This is a strange one as the phone doesn't say "Searching..." like it lost the connection, but the entire top (excluding WiFi) just vanishes. While that occurs, I cannot use my cellular connection (calling, data, etc.) at all. It normally comes back after maybe 10 seconds.

EDIT:

I guess what this makes me wonder is... did you also restore from a previous phone back-up? It seems everyone who has problems has done that, and that's what I did.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #21
AkumaX
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post

1) Incredibly exorbitant data use while streaming. Streaming IGN's IPL5 for an hour and a half used up 3.8GB of data . I was looking up random streaming sizes, and NetFlix apparently only uses 1GB-3GB for the top quality for an entire movie. I was watching a an hour and five minute YouTube video yesterday, and I decided to see how big the 720p version of it was. I installed a YouTube downloader plug-in, and the file was 750MB. Something is really wrong.

Essentially, never stream anything on your phone that uses Apple's multimedia libraries.

2) WiFi connections not working. My WiFi still stops working from time to time, and it seems the only way to fix it is to turn it off and on again. Normally, I just leave it off if it screws up as I'm only browsing the web with it, which doesn't chew up much data, and I'm on LTE.

3) My carrier sometimes disappears. This is a strange one as the phone doesn't say "Searching..." like it lost the connection, but the entire top (excluding WiFi) just vanishes. While that occurs, I cannot use my cellular connection (calling, data, etc.) at all. It normally comes back after maybe 10 seconds.

EDIT:

I guess what this makes me wonder is... did you also restore from a previous phone back-up? It seems everyone who has problems has done that, and that's what I did.
I've never restored my phone. You have a YouTube Downloader for iOS 6 + iPhone 5? Please share
(o_ (o_ / /
(/)_ (\)_ V_/_
Old 12-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #22
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
I've never restored my phone. You have a YouTube Downloader for iOS 6 + iPhone 5? Please share
Sorry, that was on my desktop with Firefox. You could always download the MP4 video with that, and then convert it with Handbrake.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #23
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:

EDIT:

I've been burned by the backup system, so I always start fresh.

The problem you described with the carrier and signal disappearing briefly is a common baseband crash / reboot. No LTE here. I see it pretty often. Maybe more than I should.

Still, that has always been common in my area and also affected my iPhone 4. I'll see if my replacement has the same problem or not.

Another difference with my replacement phone:
I use a Belkin AirCast Auto in my car. It's a big button that answers calls and streams music from my phone to the car over Bluetooth A2DP. With my previous iPhone 5 and iPhone 4, it would take 8+ seconds to fully connect. The first beep would connect pretty quickly in headset/handsfree profile. The second beep would be around 8 seconds later (or more) and would connect to A2DP/AVRCP profile; allowing me to start streaming music. Now, it all connects at the same time and only takes 1 to 3 seconds.

Last edited by Ichinisan; 12-11-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Ichinisan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #24
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
This.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #25
AkumaX
Lifer

Quote:
Sorry, that was on my desktop with Firefox. You could always download the MP4 video with that, and then convert it with Handbrake.
Oh darn, haha. I thought there was a YouTube Downloader app that I wasn't aware of. I know if you jailbreak it, you can download various ones from Cydia. Actually, Apple accidentally approved one, but got taken down maybe 2-3 hours after it was released. It was MxTube on Cydia, and they made an official iOS app, but it got pulled (as MiTube)
(o_ (o_ / /
(/)_ (\)_ V_/_