· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Default Computers, and being an "Enthusiast"? What defines that?

I bought a store-bought computer, my first one that I didn't either build myself, or get as a hand-me-down from relative (my first PC during HS was given to me by my dad).

Guess what? It is adequate for my needs. Even though it's not overclocked. I *did*, however, put in a 120GB SSD, and a fresh install of Win7 64-bit HP, and eventually also added a LP NV GT430 card. So it's still souped-up a bit.

I bought it for a price that was less than what it would cost me to build it, so that's why I did. Couldn't pass up a bargain, and it uses less power than my previous rig (Edit: Previous - Q9300@3.0, new rig - SB G630), so it saves on the electric bill. Even doing distributed computing.

I do slightly feel like should hand in my "enthusiast/overclocker" badge, living with a store-bought computer running at stock speeds.

I still want to buy a Haswell next year and overclock it, but that may depend on my finances at the time. Plus, with AMD's rumored demise, and them getting out of the performance x86/x64 market, Intel may move prices up a notch for what you're getting.
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec

Last edited by VirtualLarry; 12-09-2012 at 05:34 PM.
VirtualLarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Puppies04
Diamond Member

I would say enthusiast is more about knowledge than hardware. You may not have a custom built PC but the one you have now fits your usage better than your old one did and being able to make that call makes you an enthusiast in my mind.

Also simply by posting on AT forums about the fact you don't think you are an enthusiast anymore pretty much makes you an enthusiast in my book .
Puppies04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Avalon
Diamond Member

Why would you buy a computer that's not adequate for your needs?

Progress: 500/500 as of 10/18/12

Completed the 500 beer challenge!!!
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
WhoBeDaPlaya
Diamond Member

To be fair, you are comparing a quad against a dual. Now if you were talking about an E8400 vs. the SB Pentium, fair enough
Silverstone Temjin TJ09S - i7 4770K @ 4.55GHz - MSI Z87-GD65 - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 CL9 - MSI Twin Frozr 780 - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - BFG EX-1000 - Antec Kuhler 920 - 6x Noctua NF-P12 - Samsung 840 500GB - Samsung F3 1TB - OptiArc 7261S - Logitech G19 - 2x Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Clevo w230ss - i7 4810MQ - 16GB GSkill 1600 CL9 - GTX 860M - Crucial M500 240GB - Hitachi Travelstar 7200 1TB
WhoBeDaPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

id say since it is only a pentium he no longer qualifies as an enthusiast, but gets an "intelligent shopper" award.
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLAMA2009 View Post
id say since it is only a pentium he no longer qualifies as an enthusiast, but gets an "intelligent shopper" award.
What about people that buy a Dell, or an IBuyPower, or a CyberPowerPC PC, and then upgrade the PSU and add a decent GPU. Are they enthusiasts? Or does that depend on what CPU they originally ordered with the system?

PS. I was guessing that you were joking with your comment, but in case you were serious, discuss.

Edit: Better question would be - if you built an E-350 mini-ITX rig, and put an SSD in it, would you still be considered an "enthusiast", just because the E-350 is a low-end CPU, and with those motherboards, you don't even have to install the CPU?
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec

Last edited by VirtualLarry; 12-09-2012 at 08:42 PM.
VirtualLarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
bononos
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLarry View Post
What about people that buy a Dell, or an IBuyPower, or a CyberPowerPC PC, and then upgrade the PSU and add a decent GPU. Are they enthusiasts? Or does that depend on what CPU they originally ordered with the system?

PS. I was guessing that you were joking with your comment, but in case you were serious, discuss.
If they are not interested in the nuts and bolts of what they are buying and aren't bothered about tweaking and modding and whats coming out in the future, then they aren't enthusiasts. As the previous poster pointed out, it has to do with interest and knowledge. To use your analogy, if you don't own an 'interesting' car, could you be an enthusiast on the OT-garage?
bononos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Medikit

I think if you've ever run your computer "open" with the innards exposed then you are probably an enthusiast.
Medikit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
BonzaiDuck
Diamond Member

I was "kludging" and modding in the 1980s. Laugh yourself silly, but my first "system" in 1981 - 1982 was a Sinclair ZX-81 or [Timex] Sinclair 1000. I used it to do two-stage least-squares regression and access a state university mainframe to do the same thing. There was even a word-processing module you could plug into it and a 64K memory module [you could even add multiple 64K modules, but I put the kibosh on any more little drains on the wallet: I bought an IBM-compatible transportable. And I "kludged" and modded it.

In '87 or '88 I bought an NEC 386 system; I probably paid at least $3,000 for it. In '93, I bought a 486 system -- also for around $3,000+, and then a Pentium 80 or 100 in '95 for about the same price.

So I started building my own, with an eye toward saving money. Pentium II's for maybe $1,000+ each. Then a P4-533 in 1992 and a P4 Northwood in 1994. [EDIT!! CORRECTION!! "2002" and "2004". I must be getting old and getting my decades mixed up!]

With the Northwood, I started over-clocking, and subsequently spent handsomely for some high-end RAM. By the time I was building LGA-775 systems and now my Z68 Sandy Bridge, I was again pushing up my hardware budget above $1,500. I couldn't have bottom-end graphics, so I'd buy mid-range. More memory upgrades.

It's much harder to save any money building your DIY computer nowadays, but I've built units for the fam-damn-ily costing maybe $350 for recycling used PSUs, cases and fans -- with low-end mATX motherboards and budget Intel processors. Those latter machines are all tip-top -- with stellar performance and reliability for what the relatives use them for.

There's a clear line of demarcation for "enthusiast" at over-clocking. You'd expect ANY comprehensive upgrades or building projects to require "enthusiast" skills, I suppose.

Truth be told, I'd seen the innards of older Dell and HP models, used parts of Dell cases and cages for case-mods, but I couldn't bear buying one of those units in those days -- four or five years ago. I may stick to choosing all the parts myself in the future. It's still going to cost me a little extra, even if I don't do any tweaking and over-clocking. [But -- I will -- that's for sure . . . ]

If I had to live any length of time without a computer, internet access, accounting and design software or anything else that I use frequently, I'd feel like a boy-scout in the wilderness without a pocket knife or book of matches.

Scary, isn't it?

Last edited by BonzaiDuck; 12-10-2012 at 11:39 AM.
BonzaiDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
IndianScout

even people who want to hotrod Yugo's are considered enthusiast's in the automotive world..

to me being an enthusiast is a person who is or gets excited about working or building their computers. Can't wait for new hardware to talk about it and buy, lives eats and breathes this expensive habit most of us have..
Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
HutchinsonJC

I think the word enthusiast has a different meaning depending on what you're talking about. It's kind of like the word "casuals" in MMOs.

Casual to person A could mean someone who spends more time playing the game than person A, and accomplishes less in that time than person A does.

Where as person B might consider person A to be a casual because person A doesn't play very often despite the the fact that person A has better gear than person B.

An enthusiast in my opinion could be someone who has no real top-of-the-line hardware to speak of, but is very knowledgeable about the best of the best in a large range of topics like hardware, programming, math, the pros and cons of what company A is doing that's successful for them vs the pros and cons of a competing company B.

Even if you're not the *most* knowledgeable, I still might think someone something of an enthusiast if they are weekly checking up on sites like this one and the various other sites similar to this one.

Some individuals that do have all the top-of-the-line stuff, a true enthusiast sitting across the way would call this person dumb, naive, or some other choice words. So even if you do have a bunch of awesome tech, I don't think that necessarily makes you an enthusiast. Excessive maybe...
HutchinsonJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
Idontcare
Administrator
Elite Member

Being an enthusiast is a state of mind, not a state of hardware.

It is about one's interests, not one's assets.
Idontcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
IndianScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HutchinsonJC View Post
Some individuals that do have all the top-of-the-line stuff, a true enthusiast sitting across the way would call this person dumb, naive, or some other choice words. So even if you do have a bunch of awesome tech, I don't think that necessarily makes you an enthusiast. Excessive maybe...
I call those people more money than brains..

to them it's a pissing contest it's not about computers and gaming..
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
KingFatty
Platinum Member

Yeah, definitely agree it's about a state of mind. You invest the time to learn about it because it makes you happy.

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands [clap clap].

Enthusiast, ta-dah!
KingFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #15
dma0991
Platinum Member

What makes you an enthusiast is that you're never truly satisfied with what you've bought/own. It could always be better in some way whether it is more performance, less power consumption, lighter, faster, etc. This not only applies to computer hardware, it could be any form of hobby you could think of.
Intel Core i5 3570K [4.5GHz @ 1.28V]|MSI Z77A-GD65|Samsung MV-3V4G3D 16GB 1866MHz@9-9-9-24/1.35V|Powercolor HD4650|Corsair Force GT 120GB|Samsung F3 1TB|Corsair CX500|Corsair 400R|XSPC Raystorm + XSPC EX240 + EK DCP 4.0
Intel Core i7 2600|ASRock H61M/U3S3|Kingston HyperX 8GB|Intel HD2000|WD Blue 320GB|Samsung F4EG 2TB|WD Green 2TB|WD Green 3TB|WD Green 3TB|FSP SAGA II 500W|CM Elite 343
| |
dma0991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #16
T_Yamamoto
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post

I concur.

Mid 2014 13" Macbook Pro, Intel Core i5-4278U 2.6Ghz, Intel Iris 5100 GPU, 8GB ram, 128gb SSD
Heatware | Steam
T_Yamamoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #17
NickelPlate

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/enthusiast

World Of Trucks Profile
Steam Profile
NickelPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #18
ShintaiDK
Lifer

I would say interest and knowledge.

Money or the "epeen" got absolutely nothing to do with it.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #19
PrincessFrosty
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppies04 View Post
I would say enthusiast is more about knowledge than hardware. You may not have a custom built PC but the one you have now fits your usage better than your old one did and being able to make that call makes you an enthusiast in my mind.

Also simply by posting on AT forums about the fact you don't think you are an enthusiast anymore pretty much makes you an enthusiast in my book .
I kind of agree with this, I think enthusiasts tend to go our of their way to get technology they don't need as well, investing in a CPU you can overclock even if it brings you little to no benefit for example, I'd consider that more hobby/enthusiast.
PrincessFrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #20
laputan machine

My computer is a sandy bridge pentium g850 with a HD7750, surely I'm not an enthusiast right? Well I spent ages trying to find the right mini-itx case,and when I got it I upgraded the tfx-psu, waited forever for a LP 7750 to be released and had to mod the case to get more airflow, and installed an SSD and a HDD. I'd call myself enthusiast to be honest. I'm also still trying to see how I can make it even smaller without downgrading more, and I did install windows 8 on it because I wanted to try it out mostly because it was new.
laputan machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #21
Charlie98
Diamond Member

Quote:

Anyone can go out and buy a bunch of 'enthusiast' level hardware and put it together and probably get it to work (I know, I did... ) but what makes the difference is knowing how and why it works and what it takes to get it to function, even in the face of a failure.

If you want to look at it another way, the manufacturers are actually stepping up to the plate and offering prebuilt systems (I'm talking consumer-level systems, not custom or semi-custom gamer builds) that an enthusiast can take and work with... the enthusiast taking the pre-built and, using their knowledge, experience and enthusiasm, taking it to the next level of performance based on their needs (and that doesn't even have to include adding or replacing hardware.)

I have recommended and 'sold' 2 Dell 620 i3 systems this past year for a friend and my mom... both are very capable systems in their own right. I took one of them and did some mods to it making it a better computer than it was. I couldn't have built the same system for the same money.
Charlie98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
Martimus
Diamond Member

I would call an enthusiast anyone who is enthusiastic enough about computers to do the research and really understand what they are getting, not because they need to know, but because they enjoy learning about, and playing with computers. The same definition applies to all other types of enthusiasts to me.
System: Intel i7-2600K, Corsair H60 CPU Heatsink, ASROCK P67 Extreme4, HIS HD6970, HAF-X Case, Seasonic X760 PSU, Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB HD, 12X LG BluRay burner, HP ZR24w 24" Monitor, 16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill 1600 DDR3 RAM (1.5V, CAS 9), Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)
Martimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #23
Idontcare
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelPlate View Post
Quote:
one who tends to become ardently absorbed in an interest
Sounds quite spot-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martimus View Post
I would call an enthusiast anyone who is enthusiastic enough about computers to do the research and really understand what they are getting, not because they need to know, but because they enjoy learning about, and playing with computers. The same definition applies to all other types of enthusiasts to me.
If we were having this discussion 50yrs ago, we'd refer to ourselves (as would the businesses that cater to our demographic) as "amateurs".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/amateur

Quote:
1. a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons. Compare professional.

2. an athlete who has never competed for payment or for a monetary prize.

3. a person inexperienced or unskilled in a particular activity: Hunting lions is not for amateurs.

4. a person who admires something; devotee; fan: an amateur of the cinema.
But owing to the ego/chauvinism/pride of our specific demographic; those who wish to commercially benefit from us dare not label us as amateurs (how derogatory! we ain't noobs tut tut)...hence the creation of a new label to describe those who lack the expertise of a professional background: We are amateurs! enthusiasts!
Idontcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #24
Martimus
Diamond Member

Quote:

If we were having this discussion 50yrs ago, we'd refer to ourselves (as would the businesses that cater to our demographic) as "amateurs".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/amateur

But owing to the ego/chauvinism/pride of our specific demographic; those who wish to commercially benefit from us dare not label us as amateurs (how derogatory! we ain't noobs tut tut)...hence the creation of a new label to describe those who lack the expertise of a professional background: We are amateurs! enthusiasts!
I quite like that. I have never considered myself an enthusiast, even if the term fit. I can however freely feel comfortable calling myself an Amateur, as it feels a more appropriate name.

I also generally avoid other seemingly contrived names like Gamer, noob, and the such. I enjoy playing games as my form of entertainment, but that doesn't mean I need to use some newly invented word to describe that activity. There are plenty of old terms that fit just fine.
System: Intel i7-2600K, Corsair H60 CPU Heatsink, ASROCK P67 Extreme4, HIS HD6970, HAF-X Case, Seasonic X760 PSU, Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB HD, 12X LG BluRay burner, HP ZR24w 24" Monitor, 16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill 1600 DDR3 RAM (1.5V, CAS 9), Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)
Martimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #25
IntelEnthusiast
Intel Representative

Quote:

+1

For us we look at the enthusiast space as people who are building, upgrading or looking to get the most out of their computer hardware. They can be gamers, DIYers, or even the person who is looking to build their first system. In the end it is all about the state of mind that IDC brings up.

Intel® Core™ i5-3570K, Intel® SSD 520 120GB, Intel® DZ77GA-70K, SilverStone 750W PSU, EVGA GeForce GTX 580, Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600MHz, Corsair H100 Cooler, Corsair CC600TM, Western Digital 1TB Black HDD
IntelEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote