· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
szvwxcszxc

Default Question about PSU fan direction

I read,

Quote:
Standard and recommended configuration, though, is with the lid closed, having the PSU take in air from the bottom of the case, through the supplied filter. Source
However, I'm pretty sure that on the PSU manual it mentioned the fan is intended to face upward. Moreover, my PSU while fthe fan is facing upward has the text upright, implying it's in the correct way.

My case has the filter below the PSU, which I assume is meant for the PSU fan.

So which way is it supposed to be? I am unlikely to change it anytime soon, seeing as I spent a lot of time organizing the case wires since my PSU is not modular. But it would be good to know if I ever have spare time or am bored and want to do something then I might flip it around if that's how it's supposed to be.

Picture of my case and PSU:

Quote:
My Specs:
⇨ Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB x2 CROSSFIRE > || ⇨ Patriot Viper RAM 1866Mhz 16GB >
⇨ Intel i7 3770K Quad-Core 3.5 GHz Stock OC 4.2GHz > || ⇨ MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard >
⇨ 256GB OCZ Agility 4 SATAIII Solid State Drive SSD > || ⇨ 10TB (total) SATAIII HDD
⇨ Rosewill Challenger Black Gaming Mid Tower || ⇨ Corsair TX Series 750W 80-PLUS BRONZE PSU
⇨ Samsung 24" 1080p HDTV/Monitor x2 || ⇨ Tt Challenger Ultimate Multicolor Gaming Keyboard
HWBOT Benchmarks
szvwxcszxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Deders
Golden Member

I've never seen a PSU facing upward in a case before, but I guess it's an option. I'm sure the case designers intended it to be facing down, which way up would the text on the other side be if the fan was facing down?
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Logitech G19 - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.

Last edited by Deders; 12-06-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Deders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
szvwxcszxc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deders View Post
I've never seen a PSU facing upward in a case before, but I guess it's an option. I'm sure the case designers intended it to be facing down, which way up would the text be if it were the right way around.
please rephrase that last sentence? thanks lol

Quote:
My Specs:
⇨ Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB x2 CROSSFIRE > || ⇨ Patriot Viper RAM 1866Mhz 16GB >
⇨ Intel i7 3770K Quad-Core 3.5 GHz Stock OC 4.2GHz > || ⇨ MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard >
⇨ 256GB OCZ Agility 4 SATAIII Solid State Drive SSD > || ⇨ 10TB (total) SATAIII HDD
⇨ Rosewill Challenger Black Gaming Mid Tower || ⇨ Corsair TX Series 750W 80-PLUS BRONZE PSU
⇨ Samsung 24" 1080p HDTV/Monitor x2 || ⇨ Tt Challenger Ultimate Multicolor Gaming Keyboard
HWBOT Benchmarks
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Deders
Golden Member

Lol, done
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Logitech G19 - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
szvwxcszxc

Quote:
Lol, done
Thanks lol

ok, that's a good question. I believe it would be facing up also the same way (so if flipped would be upside-down) but I cannot be certain. UPDATE: It faces upwards on both sides. So the text would be upside-down if flipped.

Quote:
My Specs:
HWBOT Benchmarks
Old 12-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Quote:
I've never seen a PSU facing upward in a case before
The original Antec 900 had a solid bottom with no vent, so if you placed the PSU with the fan facing down, it would overheat.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
tracerbullet
Golden Member

Up / Down doesn't matter for the PSU itself. There's nothing inside the PSU that moves or cares about what orientation it's in. There are parts in it, so over a hundred years gravity might bend and break something, but of course that's not something to really even consider.

It all comes down to airflow and how your case is set up for fans and such. Where they are, what direction they point. In the setup in the picture, PSU fan down will pull outside air right through the PSU and leave the case air alone. Fan up will pull air outwards from the case itself. That can be good or bad depending on the airflow thing.

Looks like you've got a pretty good divider in the middle of the case w/ the 2 long video cards, so you might think in terms of top / bottom halves of the case. As long as each half has some air coming in and going out you'll be fine.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
crazymonkeyzero

Some older cases didn't have psu vents, in which it would be bad to mount it upside down (as Zap mentioned) .Realistically in most modern cases have filtered vents on the bottom for that reason, so it doesn't really matter whether or not the psu is mounted up or down. I personally prefer to mount mine downward to intake cool air though a filter, but some prefer the fans on top for aesthetic purposes.Completely up to you, both choices are fine. Just make sure you have filter if you do pick the upsidedown orientation.
crazymonkeyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
szvwxcszxc

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymonkeyzero View Post
Some older cases didn't have psu vents, in which it would be bad to mount it upside down (as Zap mentioned) .Realistically in most modern cases have filtered vents on the bottom for that reason, so it doesn't really matter whether or not the psu is mounted up or down. I personally prefer to mount mine downward to intake cool air though a filter, but some prefer the fans on top for aesthetic purposes.Completely up to you, both choices are fine. Just make sure you have filter if you do pick the upsidedown orientation.
Would there be any performance increase for flipping it upside-down?

Quote:
My Specs:
HWBOT Benchmarks
Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
tracerbullet
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szvwxcszxc View Post
Would there be any performance increase for flipping it upside-down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
It all comes down to airflow and how your case is set up for fans and such. Where they are, what direction they point. In the setup in the picture, PSU fan down will pull outside air right through the PSU and leave the case air alone. Fan up will pull air outwards from the case itself. That can be good or bad depending on the airflow thing.
Depends on how your other fans are set up. How are your other fans set up?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
Eureka
Diamond Member

The correct answer would be to check the bottom of the case for a PSU vent. The PSU fan is an intake fan that blows air into the PSU and out the rear. The Rosewill Challenger does look like it has vents at the bottom of the case, so the PSU fan should be on the bottom. This way it gets its air from the cold air outside the case and independent of the rest of the case.

You face it upwards if there are no bottom vents because, well, there's no place to get air from the bottom.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
GearJunkie

There might be increased dust with the fan facing upwards??? That's the only issue I can think of.
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB 9-9-9-24 DDR1600
MSI N660 TF 2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Intel 520 120GB SSD
Intel 520 480GB SSD
ASUS DVD Burner Model DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS
Corsair AX750W Gold Certified
Fractal Design Define R4
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Kingston FCR-HS3 15-in-1 USB 3.0 Media Reader
GearJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
tracerbullet
Golden Member

I got curious about this as I had the same question myself recently, spent a few minutes hitting up a few manufacturer's sites. Checked on their power supplies and pulled up any FAQ's and / or manuals.

BeQuiet - doesn't mention mounting direction
Corsair - doesn't mention
PC Power & Cooling - doesn't mention
Antec - can't pull up any manuals, links dead
Seasonic - "Depending on the type of computer case, correct mounting of the power supply will result with the fan side top cover facing the mainboard. This does not apply to all types of cases".

I'd have thought one or more would have something to say about it, other than "face the fan inside the case, maybe".
Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
Deders
Golden Member

The beQuiet's have fans that are shaped in a way that they spin faster as hot air rises, but will also spin up if it gets too hot.

I think for PSU's in general it doesn't really matter which way up it goes. it's better to have the dust filter to avoid clogging, and not having hot air going into it is going to be better for it, possibly lengthening the lifespan.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
pauldun170
Platinum Member

Case has PSU vent on bottom?
true= PSU mounted intake fan down
false= PSU mounted intake up
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
szvwxcszxc

Quote:
The beQuiet's have fans that are shaped in a way that they spin faster as hot air rises, but will also spin up if it gets too hot.

I think for PSU's in general it doesn't really matter which way up it goes. it's better to have the dust filter to avoid clogging, and not having hot air going into it is going to be better for it, possibly lengthening the lifespan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Case has PSU vent on bottom?
true= PSU mounted intake fan down
false= PSU mounted intake up
ok then whenever I get the time I will flip it upside-down.

Quote:
My Specs:
HWBOT Benchmarks
Old 11-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
flish

mine was facing down, it acts like a vacume cleaner, I'm doing a new build right now.
New cpu, ram, mobo, and cpu fan. Turned it on and got exactly the same problem, it turns on, fans start and after 30 ish seconds shuts down and then restarts and loops this pattern. there are no bios on the screen.
My conclusion (hopefully) it was the PSU. This was the only part I didn't renew. I just hope this knackered PSU didn't screw up my new kit???
flish is offline   Reply With Quote