· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-05-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
Aikouka
Lifer

Default Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - Official Thread

So, I stumbled upon the fact that the Ni no Kuni game is available on the PSN as of yesterday (12/4), and it clocks in at a hefty 2.5GB.

I've been rather curious about this game since hearing about it, but I've never been completely sold. I'm always a sucker for a good RPG, and it's interesting to see Studio Ghibli contributing to the game's art design. I haven't had a chance to play the demo yet as it's currently downloading, but I'll update this when I get the chance!

Last edited by Aikouka; 02-01-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Fingolfin269
Lifer

Thanks for the heads up.
Fingolfin269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Aikouka
Lifer

So, I gave the demo a try earlier this morning, and it's definitely an interesting game. I also made sure to pre-order it, and I wish I would have got in on the Wizard Edition when I saw it months ago.

Anyway, the demo has two segments that you're allowed to play. There does appear to be a time limit, but I'm not 100% sure how long it is as it only shows up when your time is nearly done; I think it appeared when three minutes were remaining. I played the first segment (the one on the left) where you start in a forest and are tasked with taking care of a raging guardian. This segment was a little tough on me, because the demo pretty much threw you in right before a boss battle with no real introduction to the battle system. I died twice on the boss before I learned a few nuances about how the system works, and taking advantage of those aspects of the battle system definitely made the fight a lot easier.

The battles are performed in real time and you're allowed to move around in free space (i.e. not a grid) as long as you're not executing a command. Commands can be anything from defense, attack or special moves. Now, it appears that the main character summons this sort of creature to fight for him. If you've seen any artwork, it isn't Drippy (the weird lantern creature), but some small creature with a sword and shield. Drippy does appear to be in your party, but I was never able to do anything with him, or at least, I couldn't figure out how. You're able to dynamically switch between the main character and his small fighter, which is necessary as the main character is the one with the heal, and you'll probably need it.

One aspect that people will probably be happy to hear is that there are no random encounters. Enemies exist on the map with you similar to Blue Dragon. One thing that I picked up on quickly was that it seems like enemies move a lot faster than you. It got a bit tiring after awhile as the mobs that I was fighting were all rather weak, but they would chase me down once they spotted me. I was trying random buttons to find some sort of run/sprint button, but nothing seemed to work.

I didn't really get to see much of the story as I was only in a small part, but I have to say that they gave Drippy a really weird translation... I suspect that they're pushing him with some certain accent. I always play games like this with the Japanese language option, and Ni no Kuni does have one. So, I'm not certain what the English voices sound like, but Drippy didn't appear to have a weird dialect in the Japanese dialog. It doesn't really detract much, but it is odd reading some of the spellings of words. I'm trying to recall an example from the game, but I can't remember. It seemed like there were random Us being thrown in like "oveur" instead of "over", or something like that. Strange.

The game is definitely very nice looking. It reminds me a lot of Blue Dragon, but with more of an animated look than a cell-shaded look. The world is 3D, which is also similar to Blue Dragon, and not isometric similar to games like Lost Odyssey.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Oyeve
Lifer

Miyazaki goodnees!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
exdeath
Lifer

Looks like a really sweet heart warming game. I'll be picking it up for sure in a vain attempt to quench the neglected RPG fire raging inside me.

Nice to see someone today can still make a game that doesn't involve something blowing up every 3 seconds to appeal to ADHD teenage boys or guarantee 10 million preorders.

Last edited by exdeath; 12-06-2012 at 09:35 PM.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
exdeath
Lifer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MznAY8Es5c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0f8IJpXOFI

Just watching these brings tears to my eyes at the fact that someone still cares to craft an RPG and is taking special care and time to do it justice. Maybe there is hope yet for the heart felt story telling RPGs of yesteryear.

Last edited by exdeath; 12-06-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdeath View Post
Looks like a really sweet heart warming game. I'll be picking it up for sure in a vain attempt to quench the neglected RPG fire raging inside me.

Nice to see someone today can still make a game that doesn't involve something blowing up every 3 seconds to appeal to ADHD teenage boys or guarantee 10 million preorders.
Have you had a chance to play the demo? You should give it a shot!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
exdeath
Lifer

Yes. Want.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
exdeath
Lifer

Damn demo, Jan is so long away.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
cmdrdredd
Lifer

So I checked it out and can't say I'm convinced to buy it. Doesn't seem like it's for me.
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
So I checked it out and can't say I'm convinced to buy it. Doesn't seem like it's for me.
Out of curiosity, what would you prefer to see different? I think there are aspects of the game that I wouldn't mind changed, but I think I will enjoy it regardless. Probably the largest thing would be a more "adult" story, but the videos that introduce some of the baddies make me wonder if it will be a bit more adult with the young protagonist providing a higher sense of innocence. Japanese anime does like to do that at time... especially when it comes to spoiling said innocence with the sadness and horrors of life. Although, since his mother dies in the beginning, you could say that's part of what the game is about.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #12
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Well, yes it seems a little bit like a children's book in a way but that's not entirely it. I didn't like the combat much. Not turn based but not entirely like an action game.

Like I said I'm not convinced. It's possible that it's a good game but not the game for me.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #13
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
Well, yes it seems a little bit like a children's book in a way but that's not entirely it. I didn't like the combat much. Not turn based but not entirely like an action game.
Yeah, I normally prefer the "Final Fantasy style" combat. It's definitely hurt the enjoyment of some games for me. For example, I was rather enjoying Tales of Vesperia, but I just could never get into the weird Tekken-like battle system in the game. So, I found it a bit odd when I didn't mind the battle system in Ni no Kuni too much. It's definitely really awkward how you have to swap around between characters (I kept fumbling to remember which button it was!), and I'm still not sure what ever conflab meter on the screen means (recharging?), but it was interesting.

Quote:
Like I said I'm not convinced. It's possible that it's a good game but not the game for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ
Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Yeah, there's a lot of games that get high praise and good reviews but aren't for everyone.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
exdeath
Lifer

So ended up getting me a Wizard Edition.

Probably overpaid like crazy but it's not something I do often considering the glaring lack of genuine RPGs these days. Sadly I never even heard of this game until a couple weeks ago.

I heard Namco said there were only like 1000 copies of the Wizard Edition sold? Will be worth more than I paid in less than a year

So Atlus replaced Square and Namco-Bandai replaced Working Designs it would seem...

Definitely going to preorder a regular version too just to:

a) support the company and get another sell (since I could only get the sold out Wizard Edition through a reseller)

b) play the regular one and keep the special edition mint

c) more preorder swag

I usually don't get this ghey over a game and pre-orders but damn I'm desperate for some honest wholesome RPG story telling for the first time since PS2.

Last edited by exdeath; 12-10-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
exdeath
Lifer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...8IJpXOFI#t=73s

mmm goosebumps...
Old 12-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
So ended up getting me a Wizard Edition.

Probably overpaid like crazy but it's not something I do often considering the glaring lack of genuine RPGs these days. Sadly I never even heard of this game until a couple weeks ago.
I kept contemplating getting one when Namco was selling them on their site, but I had no idea if they game would be good and I didn't know that the sale was going to end months before the game's release. They retailed for $99, and I've seen them on eBay for around $180, so the mark-up is definitely pretty steep.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
exdeath
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
I kept contemplating getting one when Namco was selling them on their site, but I had no idea if they game would be good and I didn't know that the sale was going to end months before the game's release. They retailed for $99, and I've seen them on eBay for around $180, so the mark-up is definitely pretty steep.
Ugh. Considering what I pay for some complete in box NES/SNES games, it was easy to swallow. Still kinda pissed on principle though.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
Ugh. Considering what I pay for some complete in box NES/SNES games, it was easy to swallow. Still kinda pissed on principle though.
Yeah, I wish they would consider releasing more. Maybe if there's enough fervor, they'll consider it? I mostly just want the Drippy plushie to put next to all my other useless, nerdy, video game items. It'll go well next to the huge Songbird statue once Bioshock: Infinite comes out.

It was kind of an interesting promotion overall. Namco setup the initial base Wizard package, but if enough people pre-ordered, it would make it through certain milestones and additional items would be added. I think they hit 2-3 different milestones before the whole thing ended.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
exdeath
Lifer

It will sit nicely with my Arc the Lad and Lunar sets among others RPG FTW
Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #21
SandEagle
Lifer

holy carp i'm just finding out about this. the IGN preview i just saw blew me away. time to go download the demo. haven't played a good RPG in a while. really love the direction they took with the graphics on this.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/12/14...-video-preview

Ron Paul for President 2016

Free Palestein
SandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #22
exdeath
Lifer

Yeah.... I'm going to vanish for a week when this hits.

It's been far too long since a developer/publisher put this much sincerity and honesty into a game even though they HAVE to know it's not going to be a high volume sell. Only what 1000 WE pre orders?

Last edited by exdeath; 12-14-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #23
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
Only what 1000 WE pre orders?
I wonder how many people are like me and would have pre-ordered it if they at least had something to test the waters with first. It's so easy to get burned on a RPG.

All I know is that I just happen to bring up this game with people from time to time, "Oh, hey... have you heard of this game?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandEagle View Post
holy carp i'm just finding out about this. the IGN preview i just saw blew me away. time to go download the demo. haven't played a good RPG in a while. really love the direction they took with the graphics on this.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/12/14...-video-preview
Heh, I watched that tonight as well, and I teared up a little bit at the spoiler moment.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #24
digiram
Diamond Member

gonna d/l demo tonight. I really miss old school rpg goodness.
Core i5 2380p @ 4.0 ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Powercolor R9 280X 3gb, 240 Muchkin SSD, 1 TB Seagate, Antec HCG 620m, Cooler Master ATCS 840, M-audio Fast Track, Rokit Studio Monitors, M-Audio Axiom. Reason 5 and Pro-Tools 7

Heat
Good Music
digiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #25
SandEagle
Lifer

IGN review up. 9.4'd
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...e-witch-review

Ron Paul for President 2016

Free Palestein
SandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote