· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
GPz1100

Default Asus p8z77v Deluxe Bluetooth BT Insanity

Have the above board with BT enabled so I can connect my MS BT elite keyboard to it. Been using this keyboard with 0 issues on another system prior w/ the included MS BT dongle.

Using this motherboard's on-board BT, the keyboard seems to lose link intermittently. I don't think it's a sleep thing. I can be typing along and all of a sudden it stops receiving. Tried a few different drivers with similar results. One of the reasons I went with the deluxe was for the BT functionality. Shame it doesn't work as intended.

For now i've reattached the MS BT (2.0) dongle to test. We'll see if these disconnects continue.

Aside from using the MS dongle, Any other suggestions?

p8z77v-deluxe, 3770K @ 4.6, +.050V offset, LLC at high, xspc raystorm/ex360 WC
GPz1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
GPz1100

A small follow up.

Attempt the asus tech support chat. After waiting nearly 30 minutes to get through to someone, I got what appeared to be a kid on the other end - no proper spelling, grammar, etc. Really kind of a joke. The best he could come up with was to rma the motherboard. Seemed a bit drastic.

Later in the afternoon, I tried calling their Indiana # and go through to someone more knowledgeable. He's never heard of this issue either, and after conferring with his colleagues, suggested a few things.

1) Clearing cmos/bios settings
2) A different power supply
3) Trying a fresh windows installation.
4) Rma the board

Although I've tried the first 2, all of these are really just punting. This issue is way too intermittent to be any of these IMO. Normally when typing something, the machine is at idle or near idle state.

My ultimate guess is it's a driver issue, but I suppose the BT implementation asus uses (broadcom's bcm20702a0 ) could also be buggy.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Vinwiesel

He's never heard of this issue? That sounds a little silly, since random disconnects are the bane of any wireless system. If it were me I'd use a different bluetooth dongle long before going the RMA route. The power supply part sounds ridiculous and if it were a bios issue, I would not expect it to be intermittent.

It is quite possibly a windows issue. I'm not sure how the bluetooth is connected, but it may be tied into the USB controls, and being affected by the power saving features of windows. I would disable "Selective Suspend" under the advanced power settings, as well as uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under the USB root hubs in the device manager.
Vinwiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
GPz1100

Thanks for the suggestions.

"Selective suspend" was enabled, disabled that now
"Allow computer to turn this device off" was already disabled in device mgr under both, usb hubs, and the actual BT module.

Seems like first tier asus support isn't keen on dealing with these strange issues. I really didn't press the matter as I have other options such as different bt dongle. No way am I pulling the board out to replace the module.

Also, the power saving/turning device off seems odd as this issue pops up in the middle of typing something, not after the keyboard has been unused for a certain amount of time.

We'll see how long the link lasts this time.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
BonzaiDuck
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinwiesel View Post
He's never heard of this issue? That sounds a little silly, since random disconnects are the bane of any wireless system. If it were me I'd use a different bluetooth dongle long before going the RMA route. The power supply part sounds ridiculous and if it were a bios issue, I would not expect it to be intermittent.

It is quite possibly a windows issue. I'm not sure how the bluetooth is connected, but it may be tied into the USB controls, and being affected by the power saving features of windows. I would disable "Selective Suspend" under the advanced power settings, as well as uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under the USB root hubs in the device manager.
I don't use BT or wireless kybd or mouse solutions just for this reason.

I have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, connected to a 1995 Omni-View 4-port KVM switch. Since my P8Z68-V Pro board has no PS/2, I use a USB to PS/2 converter cable. It works fine, except that care must be taken when jumping from one KVM port to that for the P8Z68: it is wise to wait while some handshaking occurs, otherwise unwanted menus or dialogs may pop up before the connection becomes reliable enough to back out of them.

Once in a while, the keyboard will miss a stroke and then be immediately restored, but it happens seldom.
BonzaiDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
GPz1100

@Vinwiesel, it's now been ~3 days since I tried your suggestion.

BT pairing hasn't cut out once since. Looks like "Selective suspend" was the issue. Likely this issue is still with the BT drivers and power management, and this masks the symptoms.

I remember dealing with power issues on hp/compaq laptops in the mid 90's. Resuming was a crapshoot. We've come a long way since then, but this is still one area of headache for many.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
nature1ders

Just buy this
AZiO BTD-V400
nature1ders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
cl-scott
ASUS Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
Attempt the asus tech support chat. After waiting nearly 30 minutes to get through to someone, I got what appeared to be a kid on the other end - no proper spelling, grammar, etc. Really kind of a joke. The best he could come up with was to rma the motherboard. Seemed a bit drastic.
Not sure how I missed this before, but if you want to send me a case number or something that would identify your specific chat, I can make sure that your comments get passed along about the live chat thing.

Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Asus or Anandtech
cl-scott is offline   Reply With Quote