· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Eureka
Diamond Member

Default Cooler Master 4pk fans for radiator?

So I have this lying around from years ago:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103052

I just bought a H70 core package, which has no fans on it. I was wondering if I would see adequate results using two of those fans in push/pull. My motherboard has voltage control so I could use that for the fans.

Alternatively, I could buy two of these, but I'd rather not spend the money if I won't see a major improvement:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835553006
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
tracerbullet
Golden Member

I'd do it.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/prod...roduct_id=2889

Normally I think of a "silent" fan as being good for flow but not static pressure. These actually seem to be OK in that regard, though. 2 of them should do a decent job.

You're probably expecting this, but just in case - give it a try and find out! Worst case they get you going for a while until you get in something else.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
Eureka
Diamond Member

Well, I'm waiting on the H70 (will take at least a week), and Newegg has a sale for the Vortexes right now. Not sure how long those Vortexes will be discounted.

Also, another question. I am planning to mount it on the rear of the case (where the rear exhaust would be). Would I still use it as an exhaust or as an intake?

Last edited by Eureka; 12-06-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
tracerbullet
Golden Member

LOL good question. I just mounted a radiator to the top of my case and after a ton of searching it seems to come down to "it depends" and "try it both ways and see".

* How is the rest of the case set up for # of fans total in use, and / or how many spots are available to put fans in use if you need to add more
* What direction are they flowing now and is it biased towards positive or negative pressure
* Is the case pretty sealed up or are there lots of openings all over
* What kind of air paths do you have, any dead zones, circular loops, ability to send cool air towards this cooler
* Where your air comes in, is it filtered or not, or do you care

It may be better to have cool outside air come through the radiator into the case, for max CPU cooling. If so, be sure you have a good means for ejecting it back out of the case and you don't add unnecessary heat to the video card. Or it may be better to have case air blowing out, if you can be reasonably sure that the case air is nice and cool to start with.

So, yeah, it depends. Not just in theory but in reality as well, when I've seen people try both and take measurements, in works for some people and out works for others.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
MrK6
Diamond Member

Those fans will work somewhat, but they aren't the best. For heatsinks/radiators, you want fans with good static pressure ratings. These fans don't have the best blade design and rotate slowly (1200RPM), so it will be lacking. Push/pull will make up for some of that, but if you have a faster fan laying around try it instead. These will be quiet though.

Intake/exhaust depends on the rest of the airflow in your case. Typically exhaust is best unless you have a top exhaust fan right next to the radiator.
| Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced with custom water cooling | Seasonic X650 | Core i5-2500K @ 5.0GHz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 | 2x4096MB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 @ 2134MHz 10-11-10-30 | 256GB Samsung 830 | 2x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4 in RAID 1 | Gigabyte HD 7970 @ 1300MHz/1750MHz | Dell 30" 3007WFP-HC |
[6950 -> 7970 Overclocking User Review] [5850 -> 6950 Mini-Review]
MrK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
crazymonkeyzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrK6 View Post
Those fans will work somewhat, but they aren't the best. For heatsinks/radiators, you want fans with good static pressure ratings. These fans don't have the best blade design and rotate slowly (1200RPM), so it will be lacking. Push/pull will make up for some of that, but if you have a faster fan laying around try it instead. These will be quiet though.

Intake/exhaust depends on the rest of the airflow in your case. Typically exhaust is best unless you have a top exhaust fan right next to the radiator.
I agree. 1.65 mm h2o is decent , but the stock fans corsair provides is better (although they are louder) in regards to static pressure, which is important for push air through densly finned radiators. In my experience, corsair SP series fans are the allround best for radiators; they are fairly quiet and push a lot of air and are fairly priced. A twin pack is like $24, and will give the best performance on the market. I am using them on my h100 and h60, and they drop temps over stock a few degrees and are quieter as well.They have a static pressure rating of over 3mm h20, making them the best radiator fan n the market at the moment imo. The noctua focus flows are another alternative (they are very silent), but they run you $27 for each fan, which is why it would be impractical to buy

Last edited by crazymonkeyzero; 12-06-2012 at 02:01 PM.
crazymonkeyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
Eureka
Diamond Member

Right now I use a 650D. I have a 200mm front intake fan, and I have placed a 120mm fan in the drive bays as an intake. So 2 intake fans.

I have one 200mm exhaust at the top, and then the rear exhaust port (which I will place the H70).

Do I switch the H70 to be an intake? I could use the 200mm as an intake, but I would also have to filter that too, to avoid dust, right?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
tracerbullet
Golden Member

Well, generically speaking, you would need to filter any inputs to avoid dust.

So you have 2 front in, a rear and top out. PSU likely has a fan so that's 3 outs. If your case is at all like my 550D then there's holes all over the place as well.

I think if I thought my case was real hot inside, I would not want to send that air out the CPU cooler, I'd have external air coming in. My gut feel is that your case will not be real hot inside... multiple intake fans, lots of holes everywhere, and since this is the CPU cooler in question there's no hot air internal from a different one. You do have a video card and power supply creating heat, but they each have their own fans blowing outwards as well. I'm thinking your case air won't be real hot and you won't have any problems.
Just an opinion of course If needed does your case also have a spot like mine in the bottom for yet another intake fan if needed?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
Eureka
Diamond Member

Sadly no, there is no bottom fan intake.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
tracerbullet
Golden Member

Off the top then, I think I would set the rear fan (the CPU cooler fan) so that it is doing the opposite of the top fan (one in, one out). You'd get a bit of a circular thing there which is often bad since the rest of the case isn't helped at all. But since the rest of the case doesn't have much left aside from a video card and PSU, both getting air from the front fans, it doesn't seem like a problem.

Set the 200mm top fan to be an intake, and figure out some kind of a little mesh filter for it?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
Eureka
Diamond Member

Well, craziest thing just happened. I was digging through my box of old fans to get to my cooler masters, and I actually found that I had spare Yate Loons and Scythe fans. I have 2 Yate Loons D12SH-12s, and 2 Scythe SY1225SL12SH.

I feel like I just won the lottery. In any case, I'm guessing the Yate Loons would have better static pressure than the slipstreams?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
szvwxcszxc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
I'd do it.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/prod...roduct_id=2889

Normally I think of a "silent" fan as being good for flow but not static pressure. These actually seem to be OK in that regard, though. 2 of them should do a decent job.

You're probably expecting this, but just in case - give it a try and find out! Worst case they get you going for a while until you get in something else.
depends on which "silent" fan you are referring to. Many high-end "silent" fans are actually a lot more powerful and better engineered than your average loud fan, utilizing cutting edge aerodynamics, hydro-dynamic ball-bearings, and sound dampening rubber and materials to lessen audible noise levels. When you put that much work and research into making a fan quiet, it doesn't take much to make sure it's powerful as well.

Quote:
My Specs:
⇨ Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB x2 CROSSFIRE > || ⇨ Patriot Viper RAM 1866Mhz 16GB >
⇨ Intel i7 3770K Quad-Core 3.5 GHz Stock OC 4.2GHz > || ⇨ MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard >
⇨ 256GB OCZ Agility 4 SATAIII Solid State Drive SSD > || ⇨ 10TB (total) SATAIII HDD
⇨ Rosewill Challenger Black Gaming Mid Tower || ⇨ Corsair TX Series 750W 80-PLUS BRONZE PSU
⇨ Samsung 24" 1080p HDTV/Monitor x2 || ⇨ Tt Challenger Ultimate Multicolor Gaming Keyboard
HWBOT Benchmarks
szvwxcszxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
tracerbullet
Golden Member

There's no all encompassing "powerful" marker that works. When you say it's not hard to make it powerful, what characteristic are you describing? Flow or pressure? Depending on blade design they'll tend to be better for either air flow purposes or static pressure purposes, that's just how it is. If you try to do both, you only end up being so-so at each of them. Sure, newer fans can have better designs than old ones, and be quieter at their job than their comparable counterparts from the past, but you can't have great pressure and flow both.

If you know of a magic "powerful" fan that's quiet and good at airflow and static pressure at the same time, please let us all know. It'd be the best selling fan ever. Until then you may notice that Scythe, Noctua, Corsair, and everyone else that makes the fans acknowledges that you get one or the other and they design and label them as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
I feel like I just won the lottery. In any case, I'm guessing the Yate Loons would have better static pressure than the slipstreams?
Can you find any info on them from their mfr's websites or anything? If not, the high pressure fans tend to have taller blades and fewer of them, where the high flow fans tend to have smaller, thinner blades and more of them. And of course it just comes down to predicting what's best but trying them out. Don't necessarily have to set it all up and button up the case, just plug a fan into a 12V supply and hold it up to the radiator and get a feel with it blowing on your face how much air it's moving. Bonus if you can vary the speeds and compare airflow just shy of the point of the fans making a noticeable amount of noise. A spare molex plug with a 3 or 4 pin adapter, and a fan speed controller like a little Zalman fan mate would be great in this regard.

Last edited by tracerbullet; 12-07-2012 at 09:17 AM.
tracerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
aigomorla
Cases & Cooling

push pull with those fans...

meaning sandwitch the rad between two fans in a uniform air flow direction for he best amount of airflow though the radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
There's no all encompassing "powerful" marker that works.
San Ace..
Nidac...

i can list 2... but those fans are about 30-35 dollars each!

Anandtech Case and Cooling Moderator
Anandtech's Watercooling God err Mod.
aigomorla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
tracerbullet
Golden Member

I think that's apples to oranges. Aren't those fans for server racks and such, the kind you get 3x3, 4x4 fans in a grid? The Nidec's I remember make 100's of CFM, make tons of noise, and take like 10's of Watts to run a single fan. I brought one of those racks home one time, all excited to take the parts from it, and ended up giving the whole thing away. Maybe they've come a long ways since then, that was ~ 10 years ago. Even now I think if you looked at their specs, the CFM to static pressure ratio isn't any better than any "normal" case fan.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think that's the kind of thing you stick in a PC case in your home office. I also think you'll find that their static pressure is rather poor when you compare it to the 100's of CFM they make, when you look at things proportionally.

(Not trying to argue BTW, just find this interesting)

Last edited by tracerbullet; 12-07-2012 at 03:39 PM.
tracerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote