· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
rollacorolla

Default Win 7 or 8? new build for Parents

I'm building a new desktop for my parents to replace their aging XP system. I was planning on putting Win8 on it, but I have concerns on if they'll struggle to learn it's new interface.

I don't have Win8 on any of my own systems either so I'm worried if they call me with a question I won't be able to answer them. I have been planning to try it out on one of my systems for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

So would you recommend Win8 to your parents?
rollacorolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
smakme7757
Golden Member

Windows 7 would be fine if they are already used to Windows XP. I would have gone with that, but Windows 8 isn't hard to use and it's cheap, only $60 to upgrade their XP license to Windows 8.

If you throw their 10 most used apps on the Metro UI they can hit the windows key and press the big fat tile representing the application they want to use . Although elements of Windows 8 can be a little more abstract and might cause some confusion - Shutting down is a big one.

W7 - Costs more, but the safer option.
W8 - Cheaper, but you might have to give them a crash course.

Last edited by smakme7757; 12-03-2012 at 05:16 PM.
smakme7757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Evander
Golden Member

For my parents I'd go windows 7.
Evander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
dagamer34
Platinum Member

I'd just stick Windows 8 on there for the following reasons:
1) It's easiest to do it with a new computer instead of an upgrade.
2) Metro apps on the desktop can be a lot more "parent friendly".
3) You probably only need to teach them 3-4 things for them to actually learn how to use Windows 8 well.

Keep in mind that since your parents have never used Windows 7, anything different from XP is still a change and some education will likely be involved. I say get it over with all at once.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Anteaus
Golden Member

Windows 8, because it isn't as bad as people say and you're parents aren't likely to become over-extended emotionally and attempt to cut their own wrists simply because they have to learn a new way to start a program.
Anteaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
nitromullet
Diamond Member

I would suggest trying out Windows 8 yourself first, and make the decision on your own. Windows 8 and the start screen isn't "bad" per se, especially once you get familiar with it and set it up to your liking.

It is very different than any Windows that came before though, and the difference goes deeper than just launching apps. Just configuring the system is confusing at first, and some parts of configuration have more than one interface. For instance, Windows Update is now directly accessible via the charms bar in the Modern UI and the old desktop Windows Update is accessible through the Control Panel that has to be launched from a tile on the All Apps sub-screen of the Start screen (which you get to by right-clicking the start screen and clicking the "All Apps" icon). They both do the exact same thing, but look and act completely different.

Basically, Win 8 is different enough that you probably won't be able to wing it over the phone if your parents call you for help having not every used it yourself.
Shared I/O - Deck Legend Blue | Logitech G500s | NEC PA271W
Console - Xbox 360 Elite

Last edited by nitromullet; 12-03-2012 at 08:12 PM.
nitromullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
sze5003
Diamond Member

I like windows 8. Took a while to get used to. I dont even use a ms email to login since last time I used one was in middle school. But most parents that are used to the start button and desktop may be confused with win 8. The keyboard shortcuts are very useful.
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3| Core i5 2500k @4.2Ghz-Hyper212 EVO| 8GB Corsair Vengence 1600 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | 256GB Samsung 830 |128GB Crucial M4 | Saphire VaporX 7970Ghz 3GB | NZXT Phantom 410 | 750W Corsair Enthusiast
sze5003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
dagamer34
Platinum Member

I would also heavily recommend getting a Windows 8 keyboard that has the search, devices, and settings keys on it like the new Microsoft keyboards.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
rollacorolla

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'll take nitromullet's advice and put Win8-RP on my laptop just to get familiar with it before putting it on my parent's build.

And thanks for the heads-up on the Win8 keyboards, I wasn't aware of them.
rollacorolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
kleinkinstein
Banned

Don't torment them with 8ate! Give 'em 7.
kleinkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinkinstein View Post
Don't torment them with 8ate! Give 'em 7.
I disagree,go with Win8,its cheaper and Microsoft are going in that direction for now and the future ie hybrid OS so probably be easier in the long run.

There is only one 7 ie [IMG]http://4**************.com/__rO_-T1aIKw/THUlhA5YXxI/AAAAAAAAEM0/d0krpozgqfg/s1600/SevenOfNine.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Mem; 12-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member

If you have to "Jump" from XP it is "Silly" to install Win 7, and then put the "Mature" people through another Jump in the near future.

When One does something for other people, One should what make sense to do for the Others, and Not use it as an excuse to act upon his own personal difficulties.

Last edited by JackMDS; 12-05-2012 at 05:54 PM.
JackMDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
colonelciller

Just ask them!

do they want a familiar interface or do they want to learn a new one 'just because'?

giving them win 8 could be opening up a pandoras box of dissatisfaction and frustration... needlessly for ZERO benefit to them unless they plan on going metro and navigating an OS with 2 completely unrelated interfaces.

with my parents it would be a total cluster$#€ nightmare. who knows, maybe your parents like a little frustration in their lives.

good luck
colonelciller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
postmortemIA
Diamond Member

before you give them Lose 8, just watch video where lockergnome gives Win8 to father, and he is completely baffled with it.

postmortemIA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
lxskllr
Lifer

I gave my mother Ubuntu, and she's had few problems. In retrospect, Xubuntu would have probably been a better choice, but it's not a big deal either way.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
Tom
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
I would also heavily recommend getting a Windows 8 keyboard that has the search, devices, and settings keys on it like the new Microsoft keyboards.
a good time to ask, why is MS heading towards touch based computing..and at the same time heading towards more keyboard interaction ?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #17
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
I disagree its not needed at all IMHO, better of getting your parents to watch this 4 min guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi8NpwiEuzc .
Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #18
bigrash
Lifer

I installed Windows 8 for my mom and she's so confused. Just go with 7.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member

It is really sad, but I guess it is harder to young people to shift than it is to Adults.

For Adults that need a computer for Internet activities, email, skype, Music, Netflix, and other basic activities, evrything is already included in Win 8 Start screen (Metro) I.e., in most cases there No need to switch to the desktop.

Using Metro with the big Live Tiles is far superior for casual use than the old desktop style.

Last edited by JackMDS; 12-05-2012 at 05:57 PM.
JackMDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
smakme7757
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMDS View Post
It is really sad, but I guess it is harder to young people to shift than to Adult.

For Adults that need a computer for Internet activities, email, skype, Music, Netflix and other basic activities are included in Win 8 Metro. I.e., in most cases there No need to switch to the desktop.

Using Metro with the big Live Tiles is far superior for casual use than the old desktop style.

I agree with that.

The media controls the internet. They started bashing W8 early so it's caught on, so now, bashing windows 8 is as cool as owning an Iphone.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
thestrangebrew1
Golden Member

What do your parents do on their PC? If they just do the normal email, internet, run a few programs, I'd think w8 would be ideal. You can put everything they need to access right there in the start menu and be done. If they feel like tinkering, they can just go to the desktop and fool around with it. I don't think it'd be that hard for them to pick up anything if you've placed the programs on the start menu yourself and go from there.

Server: Intel g630, Biostar H61, 4gb gskill ram, antec 400w eco psu
thestrangebrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #22
power_hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollacorolla View Post
I'm building a new desktop for my parents to replace their aging XP system. I was planning on putting Win8 on it, but I have concerns on if they'll struggle to learn it's new interface.

I don't have Win8 on any of my own systems either so I'm worried if they call me with a question I won't be able to answer them. I have been planning to try it out on one of my systems for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

So would you recommend Win8 to your parents?
No I would not recommend Windows 8 to anyone not already using either a Smartphone or Tablet.

If you really HAVE to go withe MS, Win 7 is fine. Otherwise go with OpenSUSE Linux. Its free and it works. Download VirtualBox and run it as a VM if you would like to test it yourself. It works flawlessly. In fact I do all my browsing and Youtubing via my Linux VM. Keeps my fragile Windows 7 OS safe
power_hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #23
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew1 View Post
What do your parents do on their PC? If they just do the normal email, internet, run a few programs, I'd think w8 would be ideal. You can put everything they need to access right there in the start menu and be done. If they feel like tinkering, they can just go to the desktop and fool around with it. I don't think it'd be that hard for them to pick up anything if you've placed the programs on the start menu yourself and go from there.
This. Windows 8 is ideal for casual users, especially if you can set up their Metro UI for them.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #24
Zodiark1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMDS View Post
It is really sad, but I guess it is harder to young people to shift than it is to Adults.

For Adults that need a computer for Internet activities, email, skype, Music, Netflix, and other basic activities, evrything is already included in Win 8 Start screen (Metro) I.e., in most cases there No need to switch to the desktop.

I myself absolutely loathe the big tiles, but I find many casuals seem to prefer them, if simply because tablet OSs and a trustworthy app store appear more inviting for them.
Zodiark1593 is online now   Reply With Quote