Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Consumer Electronics > Digital and Video Cameras

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
sygyzy
Lifer
 
sygyzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,000
Default NEX vs Micro Four-Thirds (m43) Systems

Hi,

I am looking to move away from my SLR setup and I am very interested in mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (MILC), particularly the micro four-thirds series offerings from Panasonic and Olympus and the NEX from Sony.

I do not have any NEX or m43 lenses so I have no dog in this fight - meaning: there's no prior investment that would sway me either way.

What system should I go for? I really am digging the OM-D E-5 (as well as its little brothers the E-PL5 and E-PM2). I also like the NEX-6.

Would it be crazy to get the NEX for a "high end" setup and a E-PM2 as sort of a cheaper backup/casual camera?

[My personal camera philosophy is you should have three cameras: a small compact "party" camera (like an Elph), a larger less pocketable but takes better pictures compact (like a LX7 or Sony RX100), and finally a larger camera for really good photos (like a dSLR)]

I also considered the Fuji X-E1 series but there are a lot less lens choices, it's supposedly a heavier system overall, and the autofocusing speed and accuracy is often complained about. If these things were improved, I would definitely go for the X-E1 since I really really love the Fuji X series looks and the pictures it produces.

Does anyone have any feedback on my question? Should I go for NEX or m43. And would it be really silly to mix?
__________________
Peace!
Sygyzy
joshspear
The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Gooberlx2
Lifer
 
Gooberlx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 14,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
Would it be crazy to get the NEX for a "high end" setup and a E-PM2 as sort of a cheaper backup/casual camera?
I think it's crazy from a lens perspective to invest in two systems.

m4/3 has more lenses. Also cross-compatibility for lenses between the various m4/3 manufacturers' bodies.

Larger sensor in the NEX system.

I don't have enough experience actually using either system to recommend one over the other. Personally, I love that OM-D E5 body.

Size comparisons
Gooberlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
sygyzy
Lifer
 
sygyzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,000
Default

I see what you mean. Would the OM-D E-M5 be the "fanciest" m43 camera you can get? Maybe I will go with that and a Panasonic G3 as a "backup" camera. Both can use the same lenses, except of course the Olympus lenses won't have built in IS since they have it in their bodies.
__________________
Peace!
Sygyzy
joshspear
The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
gar655
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 495
Default

I'd go for the M4/3. WAY more lenses. WAY better lenses. The lenses are much smaller too.

OMD or the new GH3. Both are very high end M4/3 cameras. Both are pretty expensive too.
gar655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Saylick
Senior Member
 
Saylick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
Hi,
What system should I go for? I really am digging the OM-D E-5 (as well as its little brothers the E-PL5 and E-PM2). I also like the NEX-6.

Would it be crazy to get the NEX for a "high end" setup and a E-PM2 as sort of a cheaper backup/casual camera?

...

[My personal camera philosophy is you should have three cameras: a small compact "party" camera (like an Elph), a larger less pocketable but takes better pictures compact (like a LX7 or Sony RX100), and finally a larger camera for really good photos (like a dSLR)]

...

Does anyone have any feedback on my question? Should I go for NEX or m43. And would it be really silly to mix?
I believe in the "3-camera" rule too, except it's more of a "2-camera" rule now since most high-end smartphone cameras function perfectly fine as a "party camera" (you're always carrying it when you go out too), so you are left with a high-end compact (something that is the size of a P&S but can still produce photos that are of similar quality to most DSLRs) and an actual DSLR (primarily for more serious photography).

I am an NEX user and I would agree that the NEX system currently is lacking in the lens department, whereas micro 4/3 provides a lot more options. If I could go back in time and pick just 1 camera, I'd probably have gone with something with more lens options, such as the GH2 (assuming the GH3 isn't released yet). NEX cameras, on the other hand, do have larger sensors which help with low-light performance and theoretically provide better image quality for a given image resolution.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the "big boy" camera first then in the future if you decide that you want a smaller camera, you can always get a mirrorless.
Saylick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
sygyzy
Lifer
 
sygyzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,000
Default

Wow some really good advice in this thread. Saylick - I would agree with you if I had an iPhone 4 or better. IMO, iPhones are the only smartphones that produce good pictures. Even my 1 year old Galaxy Nexus takes pictures that are bested by a $250 Canon ultracompact. If I cared at all about taking quality pictures in a "party" situation, I would certainly rely on a cheap but *real* digital camera than rely on my smartphone. Regardless, we are on the same page and I think I will probably go the m43 route - which in this case means the OM-D. Now, I just have to figure out how to afford it.
__________________
Peace!
Sygyzy
joshspear
The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #7
blastingcap
Diamond Member
 
blastingcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
Hi,

I am looking to move away from my SLR setup and I am very interested in mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (MILC), particularly the micro four-thirds series offerings from Panasonic and Olympus and the NEX from Sony.

I do not have any NEX or m43 lenses so I have no dog in this fight - meaning: there's no prior investment that would sway me either way.

What system should I go for? I really am digging the OM-D E-5 (as well as its little brothers the E-PL5 and E-PM2). I also like the NEX-6.

Would it be crazy to get the NEX for a "high end" setup and a E-PM2 as sort of a cheaper backup/casual camera?

[My personal camera philosophy is you should have three cameras: a small compact "party" camera (like an Elph), a larger less pocketable but takes better pictures compact (like a LX7 or Sony RX100), and finally a larger camera for really good photos (like a dSLR)]

I also considered the Fuji X-E1 series but there are a lot less lens choices, it's supposedly a heavier system overall, and the autofocusing speed and accuracy is often complained about. If these things were improved, I would definitely go for the X-E1 since I really really love the Fuji X series looks and the pictures it produces.

Does anyone have any feedback on my question? Should I go for NEX or m43. And would it be really silly to mix?
This is a response to not just you but everyone reading this thread:

I think if you just want one basic, cheap system that is good in all situations, a Nikon V1 is pretty hard to beat. $299 w/ 10-30mm lens at B&H right now, has electronic viewfinder, PDAF (fast autofocus and tracking), fast boot up time, pretty decent image quality, adequate depth of field (esp. with some of the lenses they will release for it), etc. It's fairly lightweight and jacket-pocketable. The cheap 30-110mm ($110 or so used) is pretty good. The big drawback for some is the lack of integrated flash; you can buy a used one for $100 or so, and it bounces, but still, it sucks they didn't put even a little one onboard.

If you don't mind slightly more size and weight, you can step up to M43. If you don't mind even more size and weight, a NEX is okay but you get more bang for the buck with a DSLR, especially if you want a viewfinder.

I was a big fan of M43 for a while, but I grew frustrated with Panasonic, which has horrible distribution and a laughably out of date website for software distribution as well. Like Nikon and Sony, Oly and Pany seem hellbent on launching mirrorless products at high prices despite the lack of mirror assembly and smaller sensor sizes, which is a big WTF. Both of them don't seem to think PDAF on sensor is necessary (though Oly admitted that they are looking into it), but any birder or action shooter would tell you that the present state of CDAF doesn't cut it for fast-action tracking of birds in flight, etc. (But not everyone shoots in-flight birds or action, so those people won't care.) The lenses are also DSLR-like in price despite being much smaller and lighter with less glass.

Now onto the good news: some of the upper crust M43 cameras rival Canon's APS-C DSLRs like the T3i for image quality, and others like the GH series are unrivaled for bang-for-buck when it comes to video-making. You get ample DOF control, maybe not FX level of control but it's quite adequate for most people, imho. And last and most importantly, there is a good selection of good lenses, both native and third-party, for M43. It's not quite as good of selection as CaNikon, but it's not bad at all and light years ahead of NEX and Nikon 1 in terms of quality AND quantity of lenses available.

Lastly, Oly is the only major player with in-body image stabilization, which means their lenses can be made lighter and cheaper than rivals. This may matter to you more if you carry multiple lenses, as the weight savings from not having to have stabilization built into every single lens, can really add up after a while. But if you never carry multiple lenses, then it would matter less.

Despite my hatred of Sony, I considered NEX but the problem with NEX is that the lenses are too big, and the prices are too high relative to DSLRs. The NEX bodies are small, comparable to Nikon 1 and M43, but most of the lenses are outsized. The 16-50 semi-pancake power zoom is interesting, but that's one lens out of many. And few of the native NEX lenses are that great, which means you are investing in the body more than the lens, which is NOT what you want to do in a world of fast-depreciating electronics. Sony is the only cameramaker awake enough to even attempt to do something like apps and they also have cool effects and such in their cameras (sweep pano, multi-shot HDR and low-light settings, Illustration mode, etc.). The huge drawback to NEX continues to be their lack of good lenses, or even okay lenses... there are gaping holes in their lens lineups.

NX and others I do not consider viable. They will wind up like Pentax--marginalized.

Lastly, DSLRs. You get PDAF, good sensors, optical viewfinders, lens selection galore, etc. The value proposition is hard to beat, esp. if you want a viewfinder, which costs extra in most mirrorless product lineups. You also get better flash and hotshoe support and accessory support in general. Feature-for-feature, something like a Nikon D3200/5100 is almost impossible to beat in value. They have excellent image quality on par or better than anyone else in that price range, optical viewfinder and PDAF, decent video capture, huge lens selection, ample flash/hotshoe accessories selection, and other such aftermarket support like with grips and spare batteries and whatever. The closest thing that NEX has is the NEX-6 at something like TWICE the price of a D3200/5100, with a lot less lens selection. That's just not competitive. I will wait a year for the market to sort itself out, but if next year looks like this year, I will probably get a Nikon D5200 and call it a day. I like you NEX, but you aren't worth twice the price of DSLR alternatives, especially with the incomplete NEX lens lineup problem.

Anyway, OP asked about buying three cameras. Look if you have that much money to burn just buy them all. Alternatively, use a cell phone for casual photos, get a RX100 for serious photos on the go (or a used Canon S95 if you are on a budget), and then get a DSLR or possible NEX for times when an RX100 won't cut it, like when you need shallower DOF, better high-ISO performance, a viewfinder, PDAF, etc. I say possibly NEX because I don't know how good the PDAF is on the NEX-5r and NEX-6 but I suspect they aren't as good as what you'll find on midrange-or-higher DSLRs; plus the NEX-5r doesn't come with a viewfinder, plus DSLRs have far better lens selection. Yeah you can manual focus non-NEX lenses on NEX with adapters, but that costs extra, plus you lose autofocus and perhaps other things as well like aperture control; and obviously they are no good for fast-action tracking due to that lack of autofocus. I can't stress enough how incomplete NEX's lens lineup is right now: there still is no long telephoto option for NEX. No fast telephoto zoom. There's a wideangle zoom option but it is expensive. There are a few gaps in their primes lineup and only two of their native primes are any good.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
We had to suffer polygonal boobs for a decade because of selfish corporate reasons.
Main: 3570K + R9 290 CF + Crucial 16GB 1866 + AsRock Extreme4 Z77 + Eyefinity 5760x1080 eIPS

NAS and HTPC/workstation: Supermicro MBD-X9SCM + G530 + 16GB ECC; ASUS P8B WS + i3-3220; 1.1TB of Intel/Crucial/Samsung SSDs + 26TB of WD/Hitachi HDDs

Last edited by blastingcap; 12-05-2012 at 03:40 AM.
blastingcap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
JohnnyRebel
Senior Member
 
JohnnyRebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Heart of Dixie
Posts: 718
Default

I like the V1, especially at its current price.

On M4/3, it seems the OM-D is best of breed. Check out Steve Huff's site for a bunch of info on the OM-D as well as the V1.

JR
JohnnyRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #9
sygyzy
Lifer
 
sygyzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,000
Default

I have a V1 kit in my B&H cart and I am about to purchase it. It's such a good price that it's hard to beat but knowing I will likely invest in a higher end M43 (likely the Olympus OM-D), it feels weird having to deal with two lens systems. Part of me thinks it'd make much more sense to have something like the E-PM2 as the "mid range camera" and the OM-D as high end and they can share lenses.

On the other hand, it seems like even people with M43 or other systems are buying the V1 just because of how capable it is, for the price.
__________________
Peace!
Sygyzy
joshspear
The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
AkumaX
Lifer
 
AkumaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 12,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
I have a V1 kit in my B&H cart and I am about to purchase it. It's such a good price that it's hard to beat but knowing I will likely invest in a higher end M43 (likely the Olympus OM-D), it feels weird having to deal with two lens systems. Part of me thinks it'd make much more sense to have something like the E-PM2 as the "mid range camera" and the OM-D as high end and they can share lenses.

On the other hand, it seems like even people with M43 or other systems are buying the V1 just because of how capable it is, for the price.
When the J1/V1 came out, it was doomed to fail at its price ($700-$800)

But with these firesales.. it's actually quite lucrative

As you know, when you compare the sensor sizes, you've got to consider that in mind also.

Compared to 35mm sensor (the "crop factor")

1x = 35mm (5D, etc..)
1.5-1.6x = APS-C (Rebel, D90, A35, etc..) + NEX
2.0x = m4/3 (Pansonic, Olympus, etc..)
2.8x = Nikon J1/V1... and also the Sony RX100 P&S <- consider this!
__________________
............................
HeetWear
(o_
(o_ (o_ / /
(/)_ (\)_ V_/_
AkumaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #11
blastingcap
Diamond Member
 
blastingcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
I have a V1 kit in my B&H cart and I am about to purchase it. It's such a good price that it's hard to beat but knowing I will likely invest in a higher end M43 (likely the Olympus OM-D), it feels weird having to deal with two lens systems. Part of me thinks it'd make much more sense to have something like the E-PM2 as the "mid range camera" and the OM-D as high end and they can share lenses.

On the other hand, it seems like even people with M43 or other systems are buying the V1 just because of how capable it is, for the price.
Yeah I know what you mean. I don't even need a V1 and it doesn't fit my style as well as splitting things up, yet it's a RIDICULOUS price for a mirrorless camera that has PDAF *and* an EVF. Just crazy. Nothing else has PDAF and EVF except a NEX-6 which costs three times as much. But if you don't want PDAF or an EVF or both, then it it not as good of a deal anymore.

Personally I am going to try to gut it out and use just an RX100 despite its lack of PDAF and EVF, and see how things go. I just got my RX100 this week but haven't had much of a chance to test it out yet. The five minutes I spent with it went okay, though I've already identified some quirks in its user interface. If I miss PDAF/EVF enough, and V1 prices remain dirt cheap, I may pick one up to tide me over till I make a more final decision as to NEX vs. Nikon DSLR.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
We had to suffer polygonal boobs for a decade because of selfish corporate reasons.
Main: 3570K + R9 290 CF + Crucial 16GB 1866 + AsRock Extreme4 Z77 + Eyefinity 5760x1080 eIPS

NAS and HTPC/workstation: Supermicro MBD-X9SCM + G530 + 16GB ECC; ASUS P8B WS + i3-3220; 1.1TB of Intel/Crucial/Samsung SSDs + 26TB of WD/Hitachi HDDs
blastingcap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #12
sygyzy
Lifer
 
sygyzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaX View Post
When the J1/V1 came out, it was doomed to fail at its price ($700-$800)

But with these firesales.. it's actually quite lucrative

As you know, when you compare the sensor sizes, you've got to consider that in mind also.

Compared to 35mm sensor (the "crop factor")

1x = 35mm (5D, etc..)
1.5-1.6x = APS-C (Rebel, D90, A35, etc..) + NEX
2.0x = m4/3 (Pansonic, Olympus, etc..)
2.8x = Nikon J1/V1... and also the Sony RX100 P&S <- consider this!
I really did think long and hard about the RX100 but I don't know, these other cameras excite me more. Now, this is going to sound stupid but last week I bought the LX7 on sale. The reason? My favorite camera for a long time has been the LX3. In fact, I am taking it to LA this weekend to take some pictures when I hang out with a friend. That was $300 (after steep discount). I went ahead and got the V1 kit with the 10-30mm and 30-110mm kit lenses. I may add the 18.5mm later on. That was $450. I know I know. I am all over the place and for $150 less I could have gotten the RX100. I believe Sony supplied Nikon the sensor because the specs on the V1 and RX100 look identical except the RX100 squeezes twice as many megapixels in there. I also like the idea of having a ILC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingcap View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. I don't even need a V1 and it doesn't fit my style as well as splitting things up, yet it's a RIDICULOUS price for a mirrorless camera that has PDAF *and* an EVF. Just crazy. Nothing else has PDAF and EVF except a NEX-6 which costs three times as much. But if you don't want PDAF or an EVF or both, then it it not as good of a deal anymore.

Personally I am going to try to gut it out and use just an RX100 despite its lack of PDAF and EVF, and see how things go. I just got my RX100 this week but haven't had much of a chance to test it out yet. The five minutes I spent with it went okay, though I've already identified some quirks in its user interface. If I miss PDAF/EVF enough, and V1 prices remain dirt cheap, I may pick one up to tide me over till I make a more final decision as to NEX vs. Nikon DSLR.
Like I said, I picked one up even though it makes little sense. I keep having to remind myself that if a camera is good, it doesn't mean it becomes not good years later when new stuff comes out. I can still treat it as a "cheap" throw around camera, even when I've moved on. Total investment would be < $500 for a mirrorless camera and two lenses.

Please please please let me know your thoughts on the RX100. I may return both cameras and go for the RX100. It occupies a weird space or me because when I think of something small and good I think of something like the S100. Then if I wanted something bigger (and better) I'd get something like the LX7 or GX1. The RX100 is very small yet very good so what does that mean? Does it replace the low and mid range cameras in one shot? Also there are disadvantages to having too small of a camera (hard to grip, hard to steady, etc).
__________________
Peace!
Sygyzy
joshspear
The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)

Last edited by sygyzy; 12-06-2012 at 04:25 AM.
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
blastingcap
Diamond Member
 
blastingcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,541
Default

I've used a Canon S95 and other compacts before, and also a bunch of M43 and DSLR cameras. And my phone. I decided to split my photography up between my phone, M43, and DSLR, but that did not work that well, because almost nothing is truly pocketable once you get much past a Canon S95/100/110 in size. Nikon 1, M43, NEX, DSLR--all are unpocketable, though the NEX and DSLRs are the worst because of lens size. So in reality I used my phone, my M43 for normal situations, and my Nikon DSLR for landscapes and action shots. It was such a waste of resources to buy lenses for both systems that I eventually sold all my M43 gear, especially as I became disillusioned with Oly/Pany and how they don't innovate the way I want them to innovate (on-sensor PDAF, focus peaking, multi-shot noise reduction, etc.), yet charge premium prices on gear that is simpler to make than DSLRs (no mirror assemblies, smaller sensors and lenses). Basically I think Pany management sucks, and Oly isn't much better. And Pany's USA distribution is agonizingly slow. Even their website is horrifically out of date.

Nikon DSLRs are a good value but I am waiting to see if NEX can make any progress on releasing the kinds of lenses I want. If not, I will stay with Nikon which is easy to do considering all the Nikon F-mount glass I already own. But I don't want to commit either way until the future becomes clearer.

So now it's down to the RX100, which I got on a discount but which still cost me twice what I paid for the Canon S95 a year ago. If it lives up to the hype, it should fill in for the M43 cameras I sold. (Edited to add: man, I don't like the underside of this thing. The tripod mount is off-center and because of its location, you can't really put an Arca-Swiss type of plate on it without obstructing the battery/SDHC compartment. Then again you can charge this and get photos from this via the microUSB cable, so it's possible to almost never actually open the battery compartment. But it would preclude easy switchouts of batteries for times when you have a fully charged spare and want to swap batteries.)

Let me know how you like the Nikon 1, I am envious of the PDAF+EVF and speedy aspect of that system.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
We had to suffer polygonal boobs for a decade because of selfish corporate reasons.
Main: 3570K + R9 290 CF + Crucial 16GB 1866 + AsRock Extreme4 Z77 + Eyefinity 5760x1080 eIPS

NAS and HTPC/workstation: Supermicro MBD-X9SCM + G530 + 16GB ECC; ASUS P8B WS + i3-3220; 1.1TB of Intel/Crucial/Samsung SSDs + 26TB of WD/Hitachi HDDs

Last edited by blastingcap; 12-06-2012 at 10:32 AM.
blastingcap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
CptObvious
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,461
Default

I never saw m4/3 as a serious alternative until the OM-D came out. It looks like image quality and autofocus performance is finally close enough that you could use it as your only camera. If you plan to shoot with mostly primes (I do) the OM-D looks like a better option over NEX.

NEX is fine (I have a NEX-5N), but there's still a shortage of good lenses since the E mount was available several years ago. The early reviews of the new 10-18mm and 35mm look good though.

Personally, I only use the 5N and kit lens as a travel/backup camera to my 5D. The better lenses for m4/3 and NEX are costing $450-1000+ a pop which is more than I'm willing to invest right now.
CptObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
blastingcap
Diamond Member
 
blastingcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptObvious View Post
I never saw m4/3 as a serious alternative until the OM-D came out. It looks like image quality and autofocus performance is finally close enough that you could use it as your only camera. If you plan to shoot with mostly primes (I do) the OM-D looks like a better option over NEX.

NEX is fine (I have a NEX-5N), but there's still a shortage of good lenses since the E mount was available several years ago. The early reviews of the new 10-18mm and 35mm look good though.

Personally, I only use the 5N and kit lens as a travel/backup camera to my 5D. The better lenses for m4/3 and NEX are costing $450-1000+ a pop which is more than I'm willing to invest right now.
Re: M43, it's long been a serious alternative because of the lens selection, which is both good in quality and quantity. Oly's primes (except the older model 17mm) are crazy sharp, Pany's 20mm f/1.7 is legendary for both sharpness and compactness, with the PanaLeica 25mm also being crazy sharp and offering f/1.4. They even have fast zooms now, albeit at nasty prices. Then there are the crazy 100-300mm lenses and such.

M43 sensors are a lot better now, too. Starting with the GH2. The new stuff like the E-M5 (OM-D), GH2, GH3, etc. are all quite good and it's no joke to say that the latest round of M43 cameras have sensors on par or better than Canon's APS-C (1.6x) sensors.

Other than high prices, I think the main M43 drawback that is left is the lack of stated plans for on-sensor PDAF. If PanaOly stated that they were definitely developing such sensors and that existing lenses would be compatible, I might have stayed in M43. As it stands, I didn't have enough faith in M43 to stay. I might buy back in later on, but not right now.

RE: pricing: I agree. Sony, please don't pull a Panny and overcharge. (Panny's 12-35mm $1299 launch price was a joke compared to the stuff you can get for DSLRs for under half the price. My Sigma 17-50 OS f/2.8 cost me something like $600, for example.)

Oh wait, F U Sony, you are doing the same thing as Panny after all: the 10-18mm's ~$850 price is super-obnoxious to many users who use tripods and shoot at f/8 or smaller anyway. I don't need f/4 or optical stabilization; I would rather they took those out (make it f/4-5.6) and reduced price by $400 and weight by 100 grams. The 10-18mm's price is horrible compared to my cheap-but-good Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 for Nikon DX. But at least the 10-18mm weighs less than half the Sigma, and NEX cameras also weigh less than DSLRs.... but damn that is a huge premium they are charging to shrink your gear.

NEX also lacks fast zooms, and worse, there is nothing in their NEX lens roadmap to indicates that they will have any fast zooms in the next 2 years. If they had a 17-50 OSS f/2.8 constant aperture zoom and a good f/2.8 telephoto lens, I'd buy into the system as long as the prices were reasonable. A fast telephoto would seal the deal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
We had to suffer polygonal boobs for a decade because of selfish corporate reasons.
Main: 3570K + R9 290 CF + Crucial 16GB 1866 + AsRock Extreme4 Z77 + Eyefinity 5760x1080 eIPS

NAS and HTPC/workstation: Supermicro MBD-X9SCM + G530 + 16GB ECC; ASUS P8B WS + i3-3220; 1.1TB of Intel/Crucial/Samsung SSDs + 26TB of WD/Hitachi HDDs
blastingcap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
JohnnyRebel
Senior Member
 
JohnnyRebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Heart of Dixie
Posts: 718
Default

The V1 is very capable and a super deal right now. As far as the capabilities of the camera, consider that photographer Craig Litten has published a photobook taken entirely with the Nikon V1 and the 10mm f/1.8 lens. Here is an article he wrote on Steve Huff's site about his experience with the V1 while shooting the book.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/0...-craig-litten/

EDIT: Here are some more resources abut Craig's photo book shot with the V1 and 10mm f/2.8 lens.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/04/cr...2-8-lens.aspx/

http://www.craiglitten.com/microcosm#1

Last edited by JohnnyRebel; 12-06-2012 at 04:58 PM.
JohnnyRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
blastingcap
Diamond Member
 
blastingcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRebel View Post
The V1 is very capable and a super deal right now. As far as the capabilities of the camera, consider that photographer Craig Litten has published a photobook taken entirely with the Nikon V1 and the 10mm f/1.8 lens. Here is an article he wrote on Steve Huff's site about his experience with the V1 while shooting the book.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/0...-craig-litten/
Nikon 1 lens selection is even worse than NEX right now, though Nikon's lens roadmap looks decent. M43's head start in lenses is quite evident, though, as they have more native lenses available than Sony and Nikon 1 native lenses combined. Even so, if that V1 falls any lower, I may just end up getting one anyway.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
We had to suffer polygonal boobs for a decade because of selfish corporate reasons.
Main: 3570K + R9 290 CF + Crucial 16GB 1866 + AsRock Extreme4 Z77 + Eyefinity 5760x1080 eIPS

NAS and HTPC/workstation: Supermicro MBD-X9SCM + G530 + 16GB ECC; ASUS P8B WS + i3-3220; 1.1TB of Intel/Crucial/Samsung SSDs + 26TB of WD/Hitachi HDDs
blastingcap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
JohnnyRebel
Senior Member
 
JohnnyRebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Heart of Dixie
Posts: 718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingcap View Post
Nikon 1 lens selection is even worse than NEX right now, though Nikon's lens roadmap looks decent. M43's head start in lenses is quite evident, though, as they have more native lenses available than Sony and Nikon 1 native lenses combined. Even so, if that V1 falls any lower, I may just end up getting one anyway.

Yes. I've looking longingly at the Olympus OM-D, but I had already purchased the V1 (and love it), plus the rate at which lenses are coming out is helping me spread out my purchases.

I have the OM-D w/12-50 in my Adorama wish list, along with the 12mm f/2, 25mm f/1.4, 45mm f/1.8 and the 75mm f/1.8. That's almost $4000 worth of gear! It'll probably be in the ol' wish list for some time.

But, for what I shoot I'm pretty sure I could sell off the Nikon DSLR and lenses and do it all with the Oly OM-D.

JR

Last edited by JohnnyRebel; 12-06-2012 at 01:05 PM.
JohnnyRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
sygyzy
Lifer
 
sygyzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,000
Default

JR, that's my goal. I ideally want to get rid of my Canon 40D. Luckily, I never invested in extra lenses besides the 50mm f/1.4 (which I sold). So, now I just have the kit lens that came with it originally. I feel like a smartphone user without a contract - meaning: I am not tied to any system.

My ideal setup (at least in my mind) is Olympus OM-D on the high end for "professional" shoots. Then a E-PL5, Nikon V1, or something similar in the midrange and something like the RX100 or S100 for a compact shooter.

Right now, my "problem" is my mid-range is actually pretty well packed. I have a LX3, LX7 on the way, and V1 on the way. They all sort of occupy the same space. Of course the V1 has a 1" sensor so performance should be better than the LX7.

Tell me more about your thoughts on the V1. Which lenses do you have with it?
__________________
Peace!
Sygyzy
joshspear
The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
sygyzy
Lifer
 
sygyzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingcap View Post
NEX also lacks fast zooms, and worse, there is nothing in their NEX lens roadmap to indicates that they will have any fast zooms in the next 2 years. If they had a 17-50 OSS f/2.8 constant aperture zoom and a good f/2.8 telephoto lens, I'd buy into the system as long as the prices were reasonable. A fast telephoto would seal the deal.
I am confused - I thought I had read earlier you were not happy with NEX lenses and pricing and other aspects but you later talk about wanting to get the NEX system next.
__________________
Peace!
Sygyzy
joshspear
The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #21
pdo
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 3,464
Default

I dont know much about cameras but if I was to purchased a small cameras todayy it would be Pentax K-01 and xs40mm since its a good price for the image quality you get from it.
__________________
Pentax K20D, Stormtrooper K-X, 16-50mm, 50-135mm, FA Limited 77mm
Model Mayhem
pdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #22
sygyzy
Lifer
 
sygyzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,000
Default

I looked at the Pentax as well. For just $317 for the body or $100 more for the kit with 40mm, it sounds like a winner. I actually don't even mind the looks. However, the body is kind of large (as far as mirrorless goes). I think DPReview said "What's the point of making a mirrorless body if it's practically the size of a small (ie Rebel) SLR?"
__________________
Peace!
Sygyzy
joshspear
The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
blastingcap
Diamond Member
 
blastingcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
I am confused - I thought I had read earlier you were not happy with NEX lenses and pricing and other aspects but you later talk about wanting to get the NEX system next.
What? I said I was going to wait because current pricing sucks for almost all mirrorless cameras and it's not clear to me which system I should invest in right now (though the low price of the Nikon V1 makes it a low-risk buy, plus I have Nikon F-mount lenses already and can use the FT-1 adapter, which is why I am considering it). I am perfectly happy to use the RX100 and simply outwait Sony and everyone else till things settle down with pricing. DSLR = best bang for the buck right now, which is CRAZY considering that DSLRs are more complicated, with mirrors/prisms/etc. I can't believe that prices can't be lower for mirrorless interchangeable cameras and their often-smaller lenses.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
We had to suffer polygonal boobs for a decade because of selfish corporate reasons.
Main: 3570K + R9 290 CF + Crucial 16GB 1866 + AsRock Extreme4 Z77 + Eyefinity 5760x1080 eIPS

NAS and HTPC/workstation: Supermicro MBD-X9SCM + G530 + 16GB ECC; ASUS P8B WS + i3-3220; 1.1TB of Intel/Crucial/Samsung SSDs + 26TB of WD/Hitachi HDDs
blastingcap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
sygyzy
Lifer
 
sygyzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,000
Default

Oh sorry, I misunderstood.
__________________
Peace!
Sygyzy
joshspear
The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #25
Gooberlx2
Lifer
 
Gooberlx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 14,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
I looked at the Pentax as well. For just $317 for the body or $100 more for the kit with 40mm, it sounds like a winner. I actually don't even mind the looks. However, the body is kind of large (as far as mirrorless goes). I think DPReview said "What's the point of making a mirrorless body if it's practically the size of a small (ie Rebel) SLR?"
Yeah. I thought about the K01 since I'm already a K7 user. But what's the point besides price? It's really not a small camera next to other ILCs, or even pentax's smallest dslr bodies. Great IQ, and a helluvan existing lens selection though.

At these prices though, I might have to jump on it anyway ...

Last edited by Gooberlx2; 12-06-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Gooberlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.