Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Consumer Electronics > Audio/Video & Home Theater

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #176
Anubis
No Lifer
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Anger is a gift!
Posts: 73,587
Default

the songtower is the one in your price range, its the one i recomended when you first asked along with a bunch of others, you got some good feedback in the Salk thread about them as well. I also sais you wont fine a better sounding speaker at 2k a pair then them. i stand by that, the JTRs are more expensive. definitly worth taking a listen to

the popular upgrade to them is to get the RALL ribbon tweeter which adds like 700$ to their price tag.

they also happen to be some of the best looking speakers currently made

Last edited by Anubis; 12-05-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #177
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 35,935
Default

cool yea i'm definitely going to check them out since it's so close. $2k is kinda lower than i am willing to spend (for a pair) so i would definitely be willing to go up.

the guy on AVS that i'm contemplating purchasing his JTR speakers is selling 3 T12's and 2 T8's in the LP version for $5k. asking price on those new is like $7400, which is above my range. but at the asking price it is very damn tempting!

definitely gonna go check out those salks. i pm'ed the guy and hopefully he will get back to me. i'd like to go hear them saturday if he can do that.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #178
JackBurton
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 15,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
cool yea i'm definitely going to check them out since it's so close. $2k is kinda lower than i am willing to spend (for a pair) so i would definitely be willing to go up.

the guy on AVS that i'm contemplating purchasing his JTR speakers is selling 3 T12's and 2 T8's in the LP version for $5k. asking price on those new is like $7400, which is above my range. but at the asking price it is very damn tempting!

definitely gonna go check out those salks. i pm'ed the guy and hopefully he will get back to me. i'd like to go hear them saturday if he can do that.
Well, with the added ribbon tweeters (highly recommended) you can tack on another $700. And if you want to add the high gloss finish it will be another $1800, but that's obviously optional. I think for about $2700 you can have a fantastic pair of speakers. From all the reviews and first hand accounts, the ST sound like they are real gems.

You can always step up to the Supercharged SongTowers ($3.5K pair) if you can or if you want to go for broke, the SoundScape 8s ($8k). Those things hold their own with $40k speakers.
__________________
No thank you. I don't believe in invisible magic people that live in the clouds

JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #179
ketchup79
Diamond Member
 
ketchup79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 6,747
Default

Didn't see this earlier so I'll ask: how big is the theater area?
__________________
Intel i5-2500k | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8 GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 660 | Antec EA-650 BRONZE | Western Digital Black 1TB | CM Storm Series Trooper | CM Hyper 212 EVO
ketchup79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #180
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 35,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup79 View Post
Didn't see this earlier so I'll ask: how big is the theater area?
the whole area down there is just under 20x27, but the area where the actual seats to the wall are, like if you made a box in that area, is like 15x15 or so.

still havent heard anything from the guy about demo'ing his salks.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #181
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 35,935
Default

looks like i'll be demo'ing the speakers on saturday. i asked him if i could turn it up LOUD cause i like to watch my movies loud and he said we can take them loud but he's not sure how loud "LOUD" is to me haha.

will report back though how it sounds. gonna most likely bring my ps3 over since he doesn't have a bluray player currently, as well as a few movies.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #182
s44
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,506
Default

The Salks are another great 2-channel speaker not really optimized for loud HT listening. (89db sensitivity I think.)
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #183
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 35,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
The Salks are another great 2-channel speaker not really optimized for loud HT listening. (89db sensitivity I think.)
i noticed that on the website that it mentioned either 88 or 89db.

but per the recommendation of Anubis and JackBurton i'm going to go give them a listen, especially considering they are so close.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #184
Anubis
No Lifer
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Anger is a gift!
Posts: 73,587
Default

yea never hurts to listen, and people use them for HT and are happy as shit with them, they just wont play to insane levels like higher sensitivity speakers will
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #185
HeXen
Diamond Member
 
HeXen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,891
Default

awesome setup. ever considered tactile transducers? i had some connected to my couch before, i really liked em. can feel the explosm's
__________________
Some words that more American's need to learn so as not to become a burden onto others nor ones self.

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #186
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 35,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
yea never hurts to listen, and people use them for HT and are happy as shit with them, they just wont play to insane levels like higher sensitivity speakers will
yup.

as of right now i am extremely tempted and leaning towards purchasing that guys 3 t12's and 2 t8's, and then purchasing that other guys dual caps. right now that is what i kind of want to do but i just want to be sure. it's kind of crazy to think i may be going into all of these with a blind purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
awesome setup. ever considered tactile transducers? i had some connected to my couch before, i really liked em. can feel the explosm's
is that the "buttkicker" thing that i keep seeing advertised with all of the seats and stuff? if so i didn't really consider it. just seems a tad gimmicky to me, although i've never experienced it so i can't really say how it would be.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #187
Anubis
No Lifer
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Anger is a gift!
Posts: 73,587
Default

if you go with one or 2 of the subs from JTR you wont need a butkicker

also as you asked about loud, when Jeff was demoing the JTRs at Gorillas place in PA we were running 2.2 with a pair of Noesis and 2 Epik Empires in a 8500 CUFT space and he got them loud so loud people were running from the room as he just sat there with a stupid grin on his face

still extremely clean and detailed just amazingly loud.

he was playing the song in this video. Speakers were running off a ~300 WPC amp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWznxY4CmI4
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #188
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 35,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
if you go with one or 2 of the subs from JTR you wont need a butkicker

also as you asked about loud, when Jeff was demoing the JTRs at Gorillas place in PA we were running 2.2 with a pair of Noesis and 2 Epik Empires in a 8500 CUFT space and he got them loud so loud people were running from the room as he just sat there with a stupid grin on his face

still extremely clean and detailed just amazingly loud.

he was playing the song in this video. Speakers were running off a ~300 WPC amp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWznxY4CmI4
lol when i saw that video at first i was like wtf what am i supposed to do with a video of speakers?

then i saw the camera was like 200ft away as it slowly zoomed lol.

and holy shit, 8500sqft room that is like almost 4 of my houses lol.

i just pm'ed gorilla if he knew anyone around his area that had any of the JTR speakers to come to his GTG because i'd definitely come up if i could hear both the subs and speakers. but he said not that he knows of.

lol can't believe how few people seem to actually own JTR speakers over at AVS yet seems quite a few people rave about them. it's like 5-6 guys in the JTR thread who are the only active ones.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #189
Anubis
No Lifer
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Anger is a gift!
Posts: 73,587
Default

Cubic feet not square feet

HUGE difference, that room of his was like 20x30 with a 20 foot ceiling

i bit more own them just no one posts, the ones who post alot all live somewhat close to each other out in the mid west which is why they all know about them because i think they all have something from JTR
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #190
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 35,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Cubic feet not square feet

HUGE difference, that room of his was like 20x30 with a 20 foot ceiling

i bit more own them just no one posts, the ones who post alot all live somewhat close to each other out in the mid west which is why they all know about them because i think they all have something from JTR
LOL ok gotcha. still that is a pretty damn big room though.

but yea that makes sense about them all being close so they all chit chat. i did notice they always talk about their gear like they all have seen it and what not.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #191
ManBearPig
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 9,084
Default

If you want a "high end" subwoofer get a submersive hp. /search

(wait, are we even talking about subs?)

Last edited by ManBearPig; 12-07-2012 at 12:53 AM.
ManBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #192
Aikouka
Lifer
 
Aikouka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Alabama
Posts: 24,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post


Sweet baby Jesus! When I read that he zooms out, I didn't think it would be that far and also outside in a wide open area.
Aikouka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #193
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 35,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazaam View Post
If you want a "high end" subwoofer get a submersive hp. /search

(wait, are we even talking about subs?)
i have been searching and it's between the submersive and jtr caps. i'm leaning towards the jtr caps now for a couple reasons.

1. someone i know locally that i met through avs who is a HUGE bass head says they are one of the best available.
2. there is someone somewhat local selling a pair of them for a pretty damn good price.

either way whichever route i went i know i would be happy. i'm thinking of going dual route though just for balance in the room.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #194
JackBurton
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 15,326
Default

Hey pur, not sure if it's too late to recommend demo material for your audition, but check out "Mind Heist" by Zack Hemsey. Awesome demo track. You can download it through iTunes which will give you a decent quality sample. It's no SACD, but I think it should suffice for a demo.
__________________
No thank you. I don't believe in invisible magic people that live in the clouds

JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #195
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 35,935
Default

ah i didn't see that man sorry. i just got back from demo'ing them.

i gotta say i do like those speakers quite a bit. i'd go as far as saying i would get those over the b&w speakers and they are cheaper too.

it sucks though because he didn't have a bluray player hooked up yet so i couldn't demo any of my movies, and he had no action movies to demo. so he hooked up the blues brother dvd and played some parts with james brown singing, which all sounded great. i just wish i could have seen some action flicks, but i think i got enough to know that they sound good.

i was also surprised how much bass those speakers put out. definitely more than i would have thought. they are nice looking speakers too. bigger than i expected as well.

he let me control the remote and i turned it as loud as i really wanted to before it would start hurting my ears, and his sound meter read 93db. they weren't straining at all at that level. his room is smaller than mine will be though that is for sure too.

but damn, they did sound good. i GOTTA find some jtr to demo before i make a decision.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #196
Anubis
No Lifer
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Anger is a gift!
Posts: 73,587
Default

Fly to Wisconsin
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #197
HeXen
Diamond Member
 
HeXen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
is that the "buttkicker" thing that i keep seeing advertised with all of the seats and stuff? if so i didn't really consider it. just seems a tad gimmicky to me, although i've never experienced it so i can't really say how it would be.
yes, they augment a subwoofer. What you feel from a sub can be 3 fold more stonger.
A sudden low bang from a sub can be heard more and felt to some degree...regardless of how many subs or power you use. A buttkicker...or the clark synthasis platnimum in addition to that will literally feel it hit throughout your body but you won't actually hear it much...that is why they are subwoofer augmenters.

Some people who either never experienced one or a properly setup one thinks cranking up multiple, large and pricey subs is second to god or something when really a smaller single one will create the necessary audibles and cheaper to let the TT do the physical work cause it's more efficient.

a lot of home theater enthusiasts use them. they can make you jumpy in horror movies. Some theaters and planitariums use them as well as theme parks for certain rides n such.
__________________
Some words that more American's need to learn so as not to become a burden onto others nor ones self.

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #198
JackBurton
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 15,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
ah i didn't see that man sorry. i just got back from demo'ing them.

i gotta say i do like those speakers quite a bit. i'd go as far as saying i would get those over the b&w speakers and they are cheaper too.

it sucks though because he didn't have a bluray player hooked up yet so i couldn't demo any of my movies, and he had no action movies to demo. so he hooked up the blues brother dvd and played some parts with james brown singing, which all sounded great. i just wish i could have seen some action flicks, but i think i got enough to know that they sound good.

i was also surprised how much bass those speakers put out. definitely more than i would have thought. they are nice looking speakers too. bigger than i expected as well.

he let me control the remote and i turned it as loud as i really wanted to before it would start hurting my ears, and his sound meter read 93db. they weren't straining at all at that level. his room is smaller than mine will be though that is for sure too.

but damn, they did sound good. i GOTTA find some jtr to demo before i make a decision.
Also take in to consideration, those didn't even have the ribbon tweeters.
__________________
No thank you. I don't believe in invisible magic people that live in the clouds

JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #199
Aharami
Lifer
 
Aharami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 20,344
Default

if you get salks, def get the ribbon tweeters. I built myself a pair of GR Research N3 towers and they use ribbon tweeters. Cant recommend them enough
Aharami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #200
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 35,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aharami View Post
if you get salks, def get the ribbon tweeters. I built myself a pair of GR Research N3 towers and they use ribbon tweeters. Cant recommend them enough
chances are i won't get salks in all honesty. just after doing research it seems jtr is probably a better way to go for my wants/needs. i've had salk owners even say for HT the jtr's are better.

watched the redskins own the ravens yesterday on the projector too was pretty damn awesome!
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.