· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #276
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_monks33 View Post

I know that the Wii gamepad is huge, but in your hands it feels eerily similar.
Thank God, great news to hear. I am so sick of using controllers designed for my 10 year old's hands. I miss the bigger, more comfortable controllers of yesteryear and I've been waiting to hear about this. Hearing it is like the Dreamcast controller in feel is great news to me because that is still one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever held. Of course I'm not this guy:

Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #277
Doppel
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0d1gy View Post
Thank God, great news to hear. I am so sick of using controllers designed for my 10 year old's hands. I miss the bigger, more comfortable controllers of yesteryear and I've been waiting to hear about this. Hearing it is like the Dreamcast controller in feel is great news to me because that is still one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever held. Of course I'm not this guy:

This was huge back in the day.

Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #278
p_monks33
Golden Member

Mmm the original Xbox controller. My favorite ever! I'm a little over 6'3" and have large hands for my height that controller was one of the few that had room on the back so my fingers weren't all intwined.
R.I.P original Xbox controller.
p_monks33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #279
ultralo

im 38yrs old really loving my wii u.....But when did we put an age limit on fun?
ultralo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #280
ondarkness
Golden Member

I love it. Tanktanktank is great japanese arcade fun. Asscreed rocks and as a bonus its got free online multiplayer so no more xbox live for me. Sonic is a crap port. The video chat is great too. I use that alot. I want to get a second one to play at work now...

Heat
EBAY +91 -0
ondarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #281
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_monks33 View Post
Mmm the original Xbox controller. My favorite ever! I'm a little over 6'3" and have large hands for my height that controller was one of the few that had room on the back so my fingers weren't all intwined.
R.I.P original Xbox controller.
Yep, same here. They called that model The Duke. I'd like to think it was some manly John Wayne reference but they probably were just calling it dookie in a nice, college basketball, kinda way. I loved that thing. So plush.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #282
reallyscrued
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralo View Post
im 38yrs old really loving my wii u.....But when did we put an age limit on fun?
Oh...you, um, didn't get the Memo?

It was when Nintendo released the Gamecube.

AMD Phenom II BE965 - 4.0 Ghz || Gigabyte 7850 2GB - 1050/5500 || GA-MA790X-UD4P - 240 Mhz FSB
4 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 - 800 Mhz || WD Caviar Black 1TB || WD Caviar Green 2TB
Denon AVR-591 || Pioneer SP-FS51/C21/BS-41 || BIC F12 || Klipsch RW-12D || Sennheiser HD 202-II || Panasonic TC-P50U50
reallyscrued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #283
mizzou
Diamond Member

I held the new Wii U tablet controller at Target yesterday. Surprisingly light, and feels pretty good. Yeah it does remind me of dreamcast controller lol.

The system is slowly drawing me in...
mizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #284
ultralo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyscrued View Post
Oh...you, um, didn't get the Memo?

It was when Nintendo released the Gamecube.
O ok i missed that maybe i should read that memo and sell my wii u and get a big boy console...that some how plays the same games ...wait wtf.....
ultralo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #285
SandEagle
Lifer

i got a chance to play SMB a bit more at a buddies house and i found it t9 be quite entertaining. it doesn't really feel like the ds/3DS versions of NSMB much. the wii u version reminded me much more of the 1st 8bit mario and SMB World on the SNES (this is a good thing). the system, especially the gamepad, looks and feels solid. my one gripe is the amount of time it takes to close apps or switch between them. too long of a delay.

Free Palestine
http://www.ifamericansknew.org/
SandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #286
gorcorps
aka Brandon

I tried one out at gamestop today, and I actually found the Rayman game to be quite fun. It actually used the touchscreen fairly well IMO and it looked very nice. These are the type of games that will sell the thing because this is the first time I've even thought about wanting one.
gorcorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #287
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
I tried one out at gamestop today, and I actually found the Rayman game to be quite fun. It actually used the touchscreen fairly well IMO and it looked very nice. These are the type of games that will sell the thing because this is the first time I've even thought about wanting one.
I played as the weird, Viking chick, and it felt way too much like Sonic and not enough like Rayman. I'm certainly not a Rayman veteran, but from what I've seen in Origins, the game is more about platforming (i.e. Mario) than constantly running (i.e. sort-of-Sonic). Rayman does have a time element in the stages, but I always found it more fun to try and get the most of those weird floaty bug things, and sometimes that requires a bit of crafty platforming.

EDIT:

I'm tempted to get one, but I might wait for another good game or two. I'm already interested in the new Mario, but I'd love a 2.5D Metroid (like Super Metroid), Zelda or Mario Kart (if it isn't so "EZ mode"). I did play the Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed demo, and it was fun, but it's available on all consoles.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #288
mizzou
Diamond Member

The consensus is pretty interesting, it seems people who demo the system walk away with a much more positive view of the system...
mizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #289
reallyscrued
Platinum Member

Waiting on the next 3D Mario or Super Smash Brothers and I'll be all over it.

I'm scared Namco Bandai won't be able to hold a candle to HAL Labs' efforts. Was playing SSB 64 the other day and was amazed at how well the gameplay has held up.

AMD Phenom II BE965 - 4.0 Ghz || Gigabyte 7850 2GB - 1050/5500 || GA-MA790X-UD4P - 240 Mhz FSB
4 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 - 800 Mhz || WD Caviar Black 1TB || WD Caviar Green 2TB
Denon AVR-591 || Pioneer SP-FS51/C21/BS-41 || BIC F12 || Klipsch RW-12D || Sennheiser HD 202-II || Panasonic TC-P50U50
reallyscrued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #290
tornadog
Golden Member

I am wondering what 2 games to get in Toysrus BOGO sale. I have only tried ZombiU and while it looks cool, I dont particularly enjoy horror/suspense games. I am thinking SMB and maybe TankTankTank. Anybody want to pitch in.
tornadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #291
hans030390
Diamond Member

I've really been enjoying my Wii U so far. Mario is a lot of fun, especially if you grew up with the earlier games. ZombiU is great if you're looking for a Demon's Souls infused Zombie survival horror FPS. It has some rough edges, but I think it's underrated. Nintendo Land has fun minigames...not something with lasting appeal for me, but it's nice when you have people over.

The console itself has some issues, such as slow loading times in menus and apps. But, as a whole, it's a really cool device with a lot of potential. With good 1st and 3rd party support, I think it could have similar success as the original DS (in sales and overall popularity/public opinion).
"What the heck are you gonna do if you're on a picnic and have an ice cream, and the ants crawl on the ice cream? What are you gonna do? You're gonna eat the ants, because it's made out of protein. For your health!" - Dr. Steve Brule
hans030390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #292
SandEagle
Lifer

there was a system update released yesterday or today i forget that addresses some of the performance and system stability issues.

Free Palestine
Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #293
p_monks33
Golden Member

Got the update last night. OS overall is slightly faster, not anything drastic though.
p_monks33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #294
Carmen813
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post
I am wondering what 2 games to get in Toysrus BOGO sale. I have only tried ZombiU and while it looks cool, I dont particularly enjoy horror/suspense games. I am thinking SMB and maybe TankTankTank. Anybody want to pitch in.
I've heard good things about Scribblenauts Unlimited.
"It should be the highest ambition of every American to extend his views beyond himself, and to bear in mind that his conduct will not only affect himself, his country, and his immediate posterity; but that its influence may be co-extensive with the world, and stamp political happiness or misery on ages yet unborn." - George Washington
Carmen813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #295
Dumac
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post
I've really been enjoying my Wii U so far. Mario is a lot of fun, especially if you grew up with the earlier games. ZombiU is great if you're looking for a Demon's Souls infused Zombie survival horror FPS. It has some rough edges, but I think it's underrated. Nintendo Land has fun minigames...not something with lasting appeal for me, but it's nice when you have people over.

The console itself has some issues, such as slow loading times in menus and apps. But, as a whole, it's a really cool device with a lot of potential. With good 1st and 3rd party support, I think it could have similar success as the original DS (in sales and overall popularity/public opinion).
Demon's Souls infused? What do you mean by that?

(you got me interested)
Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #296
SandEagle
Lifer

holy crap, the last battle with Bowser in NSMBWU is amazing. and hard.

Free Palestine
Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #297
hans030390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumac View Post
Demon's Souls infused? What do you mean by that?

(you got me interested)
It's hard. Very hard. You will die.

If you die, you come back to life (in a safe zone) as a different person...but in the same situation. And you've lost all your stuff. You can go back to where you died, kill your previous character (now a zombie), and get your stuff back. If you die before you can do that, it's gone for good. But, instead of souls, you actually lose all of your gear. You start out with basic stuff each life.

If you're interested, do some further research to see the influence DS had on ZombiU. It's a pretty cool game.
"What the heck are you gonna do if you're on a picnic and have an ice cream, and the ants crawl on the ice cream? What are you gonna do? You're gonna eat the ants, because it's made out of protein. For your health!" - Dr. Steve Brule
hans030390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #298
mazeroth
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post
You mean buy one, get one 50% off, right? Works out to 25% off, max.

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=47880
mazeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #299
Michael
Elite member

What is the availability of the consoles like now? I am flying to the USA on business and am considering bringing one back (we have a VPN, we look like we are in the USA) for my kids. They like the Wii a lot.

Michael

"Oaths I have taken! I will fulfill them all! To King and Kingdom"
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #300
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
What is the availability of the consoles like now? I am flying to the USA on business and am considering bringing one back (we have a VPN, we look like we are in the USA) for my kids. They like the Wii a lot.

Michael
I usually see the white one (8GB) in the store, and sometimes see the black (Deluxe, 32GB) one. Although, I don't go around looking at all of the stores.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote