· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
lilvaratep

Default need new headset/headphone + mic

Need to get a new headset/headphones since my old $5 headset broke after 5 months of usage... What do you guys recommend, getting a headphones and then mic attachment, or just getting a headset?

I'm looking for something around $30-50.
Was thinking of either getting the sennheiser 201's which are super cheap on amazon, then getting a boom mic attachment or something for around $5, or getting plantronics gamecom 380 which look hella uncomfortable at the top part where it touches your skull. Creative fatality also looks nice, but not sure about the build quality. I'm looking for ones that go OVER/AROUND your ears and block out sound from outside.

Looking for some opinions and ideas please, ty.
NZXT Phantom 410 | MSI GD65 Z77 | Antec EA-750W Green | i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI TF3 7950 @ 1350 | 120GB SSD Corsair Force GT | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 16x DVD +-RW | V6 GT | daskeyboard Black Ultimate Cherry MX Blue | Logitech MX518
lilvaratep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Saffron

Even though they may look uncomfortable, the plantronics gamecom are very comfotable. I don't know the model number off the top of my head, I am currently at work, but they are a slightly older version of the new ones. They are the best headset I've ever owned with excellent sound and mic quality.

I purchased them from BestBuy for $60 about three years ago and they still work like they are brand new. If you have the ability I would go into some stores and see if you can try them on. Everyone's head is different in shape and size so a headset that is comfortable for me may not be for you.
Saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
lilvaratep

How about the gamecom 780's bass? I listen to a lot of dubstep/trance/house so I'm wanting something that will also have nice bass, do well in surround sound, has a nice sound quality overall, and isn't a crappy mic. Anything like that for the best of all worlds?
NZXT Phantom 410 | MSI GD65 Z77 | Antec EA-750W Green | i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI TF3 7950 @ 1350 | 120GB SSD Corsair Force GT | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 16x DVD +-RW | V6 GT | daskeyboard Black Ultimate Cherry MX Blue | Logitech MX518
lilvaratep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
DSF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
Even though they may look uncomfortable, the plantronics gamecom are very comfotable. I don't know the model number off the top of my head, I am currently at work, but they are a slightly older version of the new ones. They are the best headset I've ever owned with excellent sound and mic quality.

I purchased them from BestBuy for $60 about three years ago and they still work like they are brand new. If you have the ability I would go into some stores and see if you can try them on. Everyone's head is different in shape and size so a headset that is comfortable for me may not be for you.
I loved my Plantronics headset, but the cat chewed through the cords and that was that. I ended up buying another Plantronics model that doesn't fit quite as perfectly, but I'm happy enough with it.

However, I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, so I couldn't even begin to tell you how it would fare with this type of music or that.
DSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Saffron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilvaratep View Post
How about the gamecom 780's bass? I listen to a lot of dubstep/trance/house so I'm wanting something that will also have nice bass, do well in surround sound, has a nice sound quality overall, and isn't a crappy mic. Anything like that for the best of all worlds?
The Plantronics headset I currently have is good all around. I listen to rock music, which doesn't have a lot of bass. Certain games on the other hand do have a lot of low frequency sounds, and the Plantronics does provide excellent depth. Mine isn't surround sound so I can't really comment on that, but I'm under the impression that headset surround isn't that great in general.
Saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

I use the original Playstation Wireless Stereo Headset on my PC. It is very durable, great range, great sound, wireless, has a virtual surround that does a very admirable job, and the mic sounds great from what my IRL friends tell me. It's a little more than the price range you posted, but you can find it cheaper than this in other places.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Stere...stereo+headset