· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #26
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody0851 View Post
Turned on my tv. It's plugged into the same outlet as my batt backup. Ran IBT. Computer died during 1st or 2nd test.
Turned off tv. IBT finished all 10 tests. Temp reached 85c consistently.
Turned on TV. Computer died during 7th or 8th test. Temp stayed 83c or lower.
What battery backup are you using? It sounds like you have dirty power on that circuit, so a battery backup with AVR might help. Dirty power could cause electronics (eg, PSU) to fail prematurely, not just your PC, so you might want to get an electrician to check it out if it is, in fact, dirty power.
Pressure Cooker Grid Power Smart Body scanner Electric Failure Ammonium nitrate Brown Out
Bridge Organized crime National security State emergency Security Breach Threat Standoff
SWAT Screening Virus Environmental Terrorist Dock
AnonymouseUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #27
cody0851

APC Pro 1000

My house is pretty old, so I have no doubt I'm asking a lot of the single outlet. I'm pretty limited as other outlets are too far away.
out of 1 outlet
top plug powers the ups
APC batt side-
computer, 1 monitor, router, modem
surge side
2nd monitor, speakers, hd cable box, blu ray player

bottom plug
surge protector
printer, 27 inch tv, and charging bluetooth headphones

Last night, my tv's sound started coming through at slow speed. Was funny.. and not so funny.
cody0851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #28
mlc

i think you're wasting time.. I think you're running too hot as DaveyBrat already stated earlier.... Go to the Intel websit to see what the max temp is rated at for that CPU, I would bet its not rated to run much higher than 66-70c range... so you may have already damage the cpu

In any case, take the cpu and hsf off, and clean off throroughly with alcohol, etc.. and then reapply a very think layer of thermal paste and remount.. and then see what happens...

Mike...
ASUS EAH6850
X-FI Extreme Music Sound Card
Zalman 9700 HSF
mlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
cody0851

Will this work? 5$ Arctic Silver Alumina. I didn't realize there were so many different pastes out there.

I could get a whole new fan for 10$. If I felt like taking my m/b out, I could get a 120mm Xigmatek SD1283 for 20$.

Orrrrr, I could leave it alone, baby it, and build a new one when I get the money. That sounds really good. I have my laptop if this one blows up.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #30
ketchup79
Diamond Member

Quote:
Will this work? 5$ Arctic Silver Alumina. I didn't realize there were so many different pastes out there.

I could get a whole new fan for 10$. If I felt like taking my m/b out, I could get a 120mm Xigmatek SD1283 for 20$.
You will get better results with Silver over Alumina. A new fan & cooler will give you better temp results, for sure.

It would be good to see what kinds of temps you get with a new heatsink.
Intel Core i5-2500k | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8 GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 | Antec EarthWatts EA-650 BRONZE | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper | COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
ketchup79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #31
jolancer

Dont fus over the thermal compound cost to a reasonable extent. cause you only use like a small grain of rice size amount applied... even smaller if cpu doesnt have a heatspreader. So no matter witch on you get you'l only use a small amount and can save the rest for future builds.. or heck resell the rest of the unused compound if you like.

if cost is a consern just get the compound... a Bigger Better HSF will work better of course, but Not Neccessary at all. The compound is more important(assuming your HSF is already sufficent witch it is), its like overlooking the importance of a transmission in a vehical and putting all your eggs into an engine.

even though your northbridge is fanless, id highly suggest replacing the stock compound on that aswell.
jolancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #32
Torn Mind
Platinum Member

If this guy is not going to overclock in his current or future build, he is better served with the cheaper Alumina.
Take the fan off the heatsink. You might find a "pad" of dust like I did with my Socket 478 heatsink. If there is that sort of buildup and you remove it, the new TIM and cleaned heatsink should bring temps down to more reasonable levels.
SR061| Asrock H77M | 2x2GB G.Skill 1333Mhz NS RAM | PowerSpec TX-606 Case| 500GB 7200RPM Seagate Drive| Antec Eartwatts EA-500 (2006) | Asus DVD Burner | parallell and COM port header | Old Dell Keyboard
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=93090

Last edited by Torn Mind; 12-04-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Torn Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #33
cody0851

I ordered the Xigmatek SD1283, and Arctic Ceramique. From what I read, it's AS5>Ceramique>Alumina.

Maybe the stock hsf can be salvaged, and I'll save the new hsf for a later build. Reasoning - my case doesn't open and give access to the back of my m/b. Building I'm ok with. Gutting an old build with a m/b that gave me fits from day 1 - not so much.

Anyway.. waiting on the mail
Old 12-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #34
cody0851

Ok guys and gals..
I had to go ahead and put in the new cooler because the stock hsf mounts were brittle and broke when reinstalling.
I hooked everything back up exactly, using before/after pictures . M/b power light is on, but when I hit the power button, all I get is 1-2 seconds of fan spin up, my case power light turns on for a second, and then it stops. No beeps.

I rechecked all the connections 10 times. Help?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #35
Steltek
Golden Member

Quote:
Ok guys and gals..
I had to go ahead and put in the new cooler because the stock hsf mounts were brittle and broke when reinstalling.
I hooked everything back up exactly, using before/after pictures . M/b power light is on, but when I hit the power button, all I get is 1-2 seconds of fan spin up, my case power light turns on for a second, and then it stops. No beeps.

I rechecked all the connections 10 times. Help?
Have you checked to make sure the CPU heatsink fan lead is plugged into the proper header on the motherboard? If it isn't plugged in to the correct header (the one specifically labeled CPU fan), the system will do what you are describing as a protective measure as it thinks the CPU fan isn't running. Also, is the CPU auxiliary power connector plugged tightly into the motherboard? Finally, as you indicate the prior heatsink mounts broke, carefully check the motherboard traces around that area and make absolutely sure nothing was damaged or that there isn't a metal fragment grounding something out. You can also try to disconnect the case switch and turn the motherboard on by shorting the motherboard power switch headers with a screwdriver.

Last edited by Steltek; 12-12-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Steltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #36
cody0851

It only has 1 4-pin cpu fan header to use. I know that one is good.

The 24 pin and 4 pin m/b headers are in flush(and straight.)

The case power button, reset switch, and HD audio are plugged in and they can only go in one way.

The fan mounts were plastic, and I inspected after taking the m/b out. Everything appeared fine.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #37
Smoove910

how much thermal paste did you use? Is there a chance that you used too much and the excess is now shorting something on the CPU itself? If all else fails, disassemble and reassemble slowly to ensure each step in the process is done correctly.
HDDs: (2) 640GB WD AAKS, (1) 750GB Seagate Ext
Vid: Sapphire 6870 1gb DDR5 1000mhz core, 1100 mhz mem
Camera: Pentax K5, I'm not a Canikon fanboy.
Smoove910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #38
ketchup79
Diamond Member

Disconnect everything from the motherboard (cards, drives, usb) except power, ram, and CPU. What does it do then?

doesn't work?
Reset the BIOS, try again.
Intel Core i5-2500k | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8 GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 | Antec EarthWatts EA-650 BRONZE | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper | COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #39
cody0851

I tinted the new heat sink. The layer was so thin, it had a couple bare spots. Then I put a thin line on the cpu like Arctic's web directions. I'm sure it's not perfect, but I had practice yesterday with the old stock hsf.

I tried to keep everything perfectly clean. I had to completely disassemble everything, and remove the m/b from the case to install the new hsf. Air canned everything, inspected for dust, took before pictures to be sure of connections.

The m/b light is just staring at me. I can hear Hal saying "I can't let you do that." lol
Old 12-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #40
cody0851

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup79 View Post
Disconnect everything from the motherboard (cards, drives, usb) except power, ram, and CPU. What does it do then?

doesn't work?
Reset the BIOS, try again.
Sigh. I'll have to work on that tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #41
cody0851

I unplugged everything except ram, cpu, and case fan. Reset CMOS. Computer still instantly shut off when I pushed the power button.

Tried a different psu. Computer stayed on, gave 1 long, 3 short beeps, then cut off shortly after. I believe it's an Award bios, which means
One Long and Three Short Beeps. Video (EGA) Display Circuitry.

Plugged back in the new psu. Instant shut off.

Now this perplexes me, b/c the new psu was running the computer just fine for a week. My original problem was "shutting down during load."

Is it possible that m/b is killing my psu's?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #42
ketchup79
Diamond Member

Your board has an AMI BIOS. Memory Failure.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #43
cody0851

It's a Phoenix Award bios.

I forgot to mention I checked both RAM sticks, 1 at a time.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #44
Steltek
Golden Member

Quote:

What happens if you boot the machine without a video card installed (i.e. just DRAM, CPU, and a single memory module)? Does it start up? Or, alternatively, if you move the video card to another slot?
Steltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #45
ketchup79
Diamond Member

Quote:

If you have the board mentioned in your first post, according to Asus, you have an AMI BIOS.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...specifications

BIOS 4 Mb Flash ROM
DMI 2.0
AMI BIOS
PnP
WfM 2.0
SM BIOS 2.3
ASUS EZ Flash 2
ASUS CrashFree BIOS 2

Unless you flashed it to something else.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #46
cody0851

Umm, ok. But I did use the phoenix award bios utility to flash to the latest 1801 bios(a few years ago.)
I tried each ram stick on its own, though. Possibility of both going bad? I memtested my ram a week ago - no errors. If it was my memory, wouldn't both psu's hit on it? They are both Thermaltakes.

Sheltek - with the 850, I push power and instant shutoff w/o vid card. No codes.
Different psu gives me 1 long 3 short beeps w/o video card.

Last edited by cody0851; 12-12-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #47
ketchup79
Diamond Member

Quote:
Umm, ok. But I did use the phoenix award bios utility to flash to the latest 1801 bios(a few years ago.)
I tried each ram stick on its own, though. Possibility of both going bad? I memtested my ram a week ago - no errors. If it was my memory, wouldn't both psu's hit on it? They are both Thermaltakes.

Sheltek - with the 850, I push power and instant shutoff w/o vid card. No codes.
Different psu gives me 1 long 3 short beeps w/o video card.
Were you trying different slots when you were trying your mem sticks one at a time? Oh, and I have seen way to many posters with memory errors even though memtest came out clean.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #48
cody0851

No, I left them in their original slots. Foul, I know. But ram error doesn't explain why 1 psu gets nowhere and another gives me codes.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #49
ketchup79
Diamond Member

Quote:
No, I left them in their original slots. Foul, I know. But ram error doesn't explain why 1 psu gets nowhere and another gives me codes.
You sure the speaker was plugged in both times? Honestly, other than that, I am not sure at this point. Maybe someone else can lend a hand while I think on it.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #50
cody0851

Yea, I'm sure it was plugged in. Asus has a Quick connect that houses the power, reset, and audio.
All I can think is that the m/b is shorting out somewhere. I'm going to try this 850 psu in a different computer tomorrow, just to see if it is now blown.