Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Consumer Electronics > Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
RossMAN
Grand Nagus
 
RossMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 75,261
Lightbulb Best $200 Android 4.x for StraightTalk?

This Hofo thread was helpful but it's filled with dozens of useless posts.

I'm willing to increase my budget to $349 to buy the Nexus 4 but I have heard varying reports it's awesome and it sucks.

Would prefer GSM for T-Mobile or AT&T.

I don't mind used, Craigslist, eBay, Cowboom but need some solid suggestions.
__________________
AnandTech acquired by Purch.com parent company of TomsHardware, LaptopMag, etc.
RossMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
lothar
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 6,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
This Hofo thread was helpful but it's filled with dozens of useless posts.

I'm willing to increase my budget to $349 to buy the Nexus 4 but I have heard varying reports it's awesome and it sucks.

Would prefer GSM for T-Mobile or AT&T.

I don't mind used, Craigslist, eBay, Cowboom but need some solid suggestions.
16GB Nexus 4.
There is no alternative.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
If you make it to age 30 and have never been arrested you're either still living in your parents basement, part of the 1% or, both.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
lothar
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 6,496
Default

I should also add that any Android phone being sold for $200 brand new will likely be stuck on whatever OS that the phone shipped with.
That is a fact.

Forget about getting Jelly Bean, KLP, or any other future Android updates.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
If you make it to age 30 and have never been arrested you're either still living in your parents basement, part of the 1% or, both.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
Wingznut
Elite Member
 
Wingznut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 16,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar View Post
16GB Nexus 4.
There is no alternative.
I completely agree. And if it turns out that you don't like it, there's no doubt you could sell it for no loss.
The only downside is that it's like a 6 week backorder.
Wingznut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
dagamer34
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,557
Default

16GB Nexus 4. /end thread
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
DLeRium
Lifer
 
DLeRium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 19,828
Default

Absolutely. Nexus 4.

There's really no reason to ever get a non Nexus or AOSP phone. I see how terrible any skinned UI is. Even the blazing SGS3 comes to a screeching halt. My SGS2 with CM10 completely blasts through my gf's SGS3 despite me having a broken hwcomposer and what not.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:24 AM   #7
RossMAN
Grand Nagus
 
RossMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 75,261
Default

Is the Nexus 4 backlog really 6 weeks?

Dayum.
__________________
AnandTech acquired by Purch.com parent company of TomsHardware, LaptopMag, etc.
RossMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
bamx2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 350
Default

I am have similar situation as RossMAN.

I agree that the Nexus 4 is the best choice for a new phone .

My budget is limited and as my current phone needs to be replaced sooner and cannot wait the 6 weeks for the Nexus 4.

What are some good choices for used GSM Android 4.x 4G ATT network phones that cost under $200 ?

(I would like to avoid flashing custom ROMs to get 4.x if possible)

Last edited by bamx2; 12-05-2012 at 06:29 PM.
bamx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
Chocu1a
Senior Member
 
Chocu1a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Collierville, Tennessee
Posts: 923
Default

You can probably find a used Galaxy S2 for that price. Maybe a Motorola Atrix2
__________________
Gimme some truth.
Chocu1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
Plester
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 3,158
Default

Get a used Galaxy Nexus. Still a very fast and capable phone that can run the latest version of android. Also if you like to play with 3rd party roms, it has a massive amount of development happening. Mine works great on StraightTalk. Personally I will only buy Nexus phones as its all about the software...
__________________
Heat
Plester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
sjwaste
Diamond Member
 
sjwaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 8,769
Default

Get the Nexus 4. It doesn't suck. Not at all. I'd love to see someone point out a better product at $349, unlocked. Shit, I'm seeing unlocked i777's (AT&T's SGS2) go for about $300 on Ebay. I am about to sell mine.

The only part that sucks is waiting, you're not getting one for a long time from Google.
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
ponyo
Lifer
 
ponyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plester View Post
Get a used Galaxy Nexus. Still a very fast and capable phone that can run the latest version of android. Also if you like to play with 3rd party roms, it has a massive amount of development happening. Mine works great on StraightTalk. Personally I will only buy Nexus phones as its all about the software...
I was going to recommend the Galaxy Nexus til I saw used prices on EBay. $275-300 is about what I saw for i9250 and at that price I would recommend paying the extra for Nexus 4.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
T_Yamamoto
Lifer
 
T_Yamamoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Carolina State University
Posts: 13,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Ape View Post
Maybe you can't reveal this in public, but what happens to all your rejects Wiz? RMA or do they go to non-OC system builders? Just curious.

I wonder if as Intel's CuMine voltage curve increases with faster P!!!s, the bin sorting becomes less rigorous, particularly since they're desperately trying to fill P!!! demand. If 850+ cores stable at 1.7v now qualify as within spec, then that takes a big chunk out of the cores that could have been C2s at 800+ at 1.65-1.7v. I'm still not clear on whether the Copperons are made in seperate batches from P!!! cores or not.
NONONO! don't get a used sg2 its too old.

Edit:wtf? Was supposed to be a reply to the sg2 post.
__________________
Intel i5 4430, MSI B85M-P33, Gigabyte Windforce R9 270x, 6GB ram, Intel 530 128gb SSD, WD 160gb HDD, Toshiba Canvio 1tb External HDD, Windows 7, NZXT Vulcan, Dell E2414H, ROCCAT Kova+ Max, TG3 BL82
Mid 2014 13" Macbook Pro, Intel Core i5-4278U 2.6Ghz, Intel Iris 5100 GPU, 8GB ram, 128gb SSD
iPhone 6 16gb CDMA
Heatware | Steam
T_Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Nvidiaguy07
Platinum Member
 
Nvidiaguy07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,669
Default

If you can get a 8gb nexus 4 for 300, I cant see the galaxy nexus being sold for that much. I have one, and though i would like to upgrade to a nexus 4, i dont feel that compelled to, since my phone is still very fast, and will be running the newest software as long as its around.

As long as your OK with used, then i think thats the way to go. Also If you are interested, I have a ATT branded SGS2 that i was planning on giving to my mom, but if you are interested, I would sell that give her my gnex and get myself a nexus 4.

The SGS2 is a very nice phone, but to me, for whatever reason the galaxy nexus just seemed much smoother, even though the gs2 is a more powerful phone.

EDIT: The gs2 is in mint condition - I had a problem with my first one, so they replaced it with this one - which im assuming is either new or refurb. Hasnt been used since getting it besides just testing a few roms.
__________________
Main PC: 3570k, MSI GTX 670, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, G.SKILL Ares 8GB, Noctua NH-D14, Antec P280, Corsair 750TX, Intel X25-M 80GB SSD, Catleap 27" 120hz
Living Room PC: Q6600 @ 3.15, EVGA 560ti, GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L, G.SKILL 8GB DDR2, Tuniq Tower, Antec P180, CORSAIR 520HX, WD Raptor 74GB
Laptop: Yoga 13" // Phone: Gnex // XBL/Steam: blackhammer07 // HEAT
Nvidiaguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
dguy6789
Diamond Member
 
dguy6789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 8,517
Default

The N4 is solid and probably the best off contract phone when it comes to what you get vs what you pay but I think it's quite the stretch to say it's the best Android phone period.(The battery life is terrible, storage is terrible, no LTE support, average camera, the processor doesn't get to actually perform the way it should due to so much throttling) It would be pretty easy to argue that the Galaxy S3, Note 2, Droid Razr Maxx HD, and Droid DNA are superior Android devices if cost is not a factor. There's just too many compromises that have to be made to get the benefit of being on the latest version of Android a month~ before phones with better specs do.
dguy6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
Red Storm
Lifer
 
Red Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 12,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguy6789 View Post
The N4 is solid and probably the best off contract phone when it comes to what you get vs what you pay but I think it's quite the stretch to say it's the best Android phone period.(The battery life is terrible, storage is terrible, no LTE support, average camera, the processor doesn't get to actually perform the way it should due to so much throttling) It would be pretty easy to argue that the Galaxy S3, Note 2, Droid Razr Maxx HD, and Droid DNA are superior Android devices if cost is not a factor. There's just too many compromises that have to be made to get the benefit of being on the latest version of Android a month~ before phones with better specs do.
I'd buy the Nexus over any of those phones even if they were all the same price.
__________________
Heatware
Red Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #17
sjwaste
Diamond Member
 
sjwaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 8,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguy6789 View Post
The N4 is solid and probably the best off contract phone when it comes to what you get vs what you pay but I think it's quite the stretch to say it's the best Android phone period.(The battery life is terrible, storage is terrible, no LTE support, average camera, the processor doesn't get to actually perform the way it should due to so much throttling) It would be pretty easy to argue that the Galaxy S3, Note 2, Droid Razr Maxx HD, and Droid DNA are superior Android devices if cost is not a factor. There's just too many compromises that have to be made to get the benefit of being on the latest version of Android a month~ before phones with better specs do.
But cost IS a factor - it's in the thread title. So is the requirement that it be usable on Straight Talk. The latter makes LTE irrelevant and rules out the Razr Maxx and DNA as Verizon-only. I'd absolutely take the Nexus 4 over the GS3 and Note 2 just for the software support. The storage is lacking, but even with a 32GB SD in my SGS2, the only time I really went over the built in 16 gigs is when I had too many old nandroid backups. I'm personally not shooting a ton of pics or 1080p video that I need to leave on the phone, since I immediately upload everything to dropbox.
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
Capt Caveman
Lifer
 
Capt Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,533
Default

fwiw - I'm in the process of porting my phone number over to ST to use with the Nexus 4. So far, my experience with ST customer service has been terrible, as was my ordering/shipping experience with Google for the Nexus 4.
__________________
Adopt a Homeless Pet
Capt Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #19
Red Storm
Lifer
 
Red Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 12,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Caveman View Post
fwiw - I'm in the process of porting my phone number over to ST to use with the Nexus 4. So far, my experience with ST customer service has been terrible, as was my ordering/shipping experience with Google for the Nexus 4.
Just curious, but why port to ST? I was thinking of doing the same, then I realized I can just forward whatever number ST gives me to Google Voice, and just use my GV number. No hassle, and no worry of losing my number.
__________________
Heatware
Red Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
ponyo
Lifer
 
ponyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwaste View Post
But cost IS a factor - it's in the thread title. So is the requirement that it be usable on Straight Talk. The latter makes LTE irrelevant and rules out the Razr Maxx and DNA as Verizon-only. I'd absolutely take the Nexus 4 over the GS3 and Note 2 just for the software support. The storage is lacking, but even with a 32GB SD in my SGS2, the only time I really went over the built in 16 gigs is when I had too many old nandroid backups. I'm personally not shooting a ton of pics or 1080p video that I need to leave on the phone, since I immediately upload everything to dropbox.
I would take Note 2 over Nexus 4 if at the same price. Software support is important but Note 2 is unique phone without equal.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #21
Capt Caveman
Lifer
 
Capt Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
Just curious, but why port to ST? I was thinking of doing the same, then I realized I can just forward whatever number ST gives me to Google Voice, and just use my GV number. No hassle, and no worry of losing my number.
I posted in one of the other N4 threads about my unique situation. Basically, I'm porting over my current GV # to ST and then porting my current cell phone # to ST. I use both numbers for different purposes and want to easily be able to use both of them.

ST is telling me that the GV # is considered a landline # and thus takes more time to port. I can make calls/texts from my N4 but can't receive or use data til tomorrow morning supposedly.
__________________
Adopt a Homeless Pet
Capt Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #22
openwheel
Golden Member
 
openwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,283
Default

It took 30 seconds to port cellphone number from verizon to straightalk for me.
I've been throttled twice in 3 months, and it took less than 2 minutes to un-throttle.
So far ST has been perfect for me. I don't want to deal with CS overseas so I keep the conversation to a minimum and it was smooth. I keep my GV# in GV. While I wait for a Nexus 4, I have an used Infuse running 4.2

If you are porting landlines/GV than expect some delays.
openwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #23
lothar
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 6,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Caveman View Post
fwiw - I'm in the process of porting my phone number over to ST to use with the Nexus 4. So far, my experience with ST customer service has been terrible, as was my ordering/shipping experience with Google for the Nexus 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Caveman View Post
I posted in one of the other N4 threads about my unique situation. Basically, I'm porting over my current GV # to ST and then porting my current cell phone # to ST. I use both numbers for different purposes and want to easily be able to use both of them.

ST is telling me that the GV # is considered a landline # and thus takes more time to port. I can make calls/texts from my N4 but can't receive or use data til tomorrow morning supposedly.
Now you see why many of us forget about porting our numbers to Straight Talk and just let them issue you whatever random number of their choosing that they want to and forget about their number.

IMO, the best option for you was to transfer both numbers to Google Voice and designate one as primary with the other as secondary.
I hope everything goes well for you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
If you make it to age 30 and have never been arrested you're either still living in your parents basement, part of the 1% or, both.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
s44
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,942
Default

If you could get the S2 or GNex for $200, that would be your best option.

Waiting six weeks for a $400 (tax+shipping) Nexus 4 is still probably the best choice otherwise, but I'd look for secondhand S3 deals until then.
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #25
Red Storm
Lifer
 
Red Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 12,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
If you could get the S2 or GNex for $200, that would be your best option.

Waiting six weeks for a $400 (tax+shipping) Nexus 4 is still probably the best choice otherwise, but I'd look for secondhand S3 deals until then.
If you're in the US just get one from T-Mobile. It totaled to $409 for me, that includes the ETF for the new contract I had to sign up for (and promptly cancel).
__________________
Heatware
Red Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.