· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

View Poll Results: Which car would you buy?
Nissan GT-R with Alpha 9 package 28 31.82%
Corvette ZR-1 13 14.77%
Dodge Viper GTS 23 26.14%
BMW M6 12 13.64%
Jaguar KXR-S 12 13.64%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #101
Fritzo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
This is off topic, but that new Cayman looks nice. Is that a 2014 model?
Yeah, the new redesign. Beautiful, isn't it?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #102
Don Vito Corleone
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
I've sat in an m6 at a dealer and its actually quite small inside for a car the size of the M5 chassis wise. that said whats not to get?

All these cars are pretty much ridiculous and impractical, as is any car that costs $150k right. I think the point of the m6 and really almost any 2+2 coupe is that its like a sedan just more impractical and more expensive.

I do agree with you though i dont really "get" the point of a 2+2 . might as well get a 2 seater or a sedan but we are debating varying levels of relative pointlessness.
I just don't really understand giant coupes like the M6. The M3 is, to my eyes, better looking, has similar usable space, and is a much more realistic track car (and yes, I do drive on a track). I like the current M6 much better than its predecessor but they both seem like big, heavy cars for coupes.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #103
Don Vito Corleone
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzo View Post
Yeah, the new redesign. Beautiful, isn't it?
I think it looks good but the new Boxster looks even better. They are both quantum leaps over their predecessors, in any case.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #104
KentState
Diamond Member

If I had 150k, I would look at a 911 Turbo. Why would that be left out of the poll?
KentState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #105
Ferzerp
Diamond Member

Still looks like a squatting dog though.... :/
Ferzerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #106
JackBurton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentState View Post
If I had 150k, I would look at a 911 Turbo. Why would that be left out of the poll?
Because I forgot to put it in. And if I added it to the poll later on it would skew the results. But yeah, the 911 Turbo should have been included.

JackBurton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #107
KentState
Diamond Member

Just curious if there was another reason. The 911 turbo is my all time favorite. Hope to own one eventually.
KentState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #108
phucheneh
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito Corleone View Post
I just don't really understand giant coupes like the M6. The M3 is, to my eyes, better looking, has similar usable space, and is a much more realistic track car (and yes, I do drive on a track). I like the current M6 much better than its predecessor but they both seem like big, heavy cars for coupes.
Exactly. I could understand an M5, or an M7 if such a thing existed. Big, fat, heavy four-door with lots of power and a much better suspension than would be expected in that size vehicle. But with SPACE.

The M6 is like a hi-po two-seater...Lincoln Towncar.
phucheneh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #109
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

2013 Boxster S and spend the rest on a Ducati 1199 S Panigale because cars are just boring appliances anyway so at least in the Porsche I'll have a comfortable drivers car that looks gorgeous and doesn't cost a lot of money. Besides, I love convertibles.

Edit-removed generalization. :p

"Never go full retard..." -Kirk Lazarus

Last edited by JulesMaximus; 12-04-2012 at 11:36 AM.
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #110
phucheneh
Diamond Member

...Boxsters don't make you look like a tool?

At the least, they make you look like a receptacle for some other guy's tool.

Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet car. And for some reason, Caymans don't have the same reputation. But it's hard to find one on the road that isn't being given a certain reputation by its driver.

It's like how a Miata is a really good performing sporty car for the money. That will make everyone think you style hair for a living. For the Boxster, 'hairdresser' gets replaced with 'obnoxious douche who thinks he's hot shit even though he couldn't afford a 911.'

Stereotypes are a bitch.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #111
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTT View Post
ZR1's are NOT a dime a dozen.
Between the model year 2010 and 2013 I found 31 of them for sale on Autotrader within 300 miles of me. Not exactly rare or difficult to find that's for sure.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #112
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phucheneh View Post

Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet car. And for some reason, Caymans don't have the same reputation. But it's hard to find one on the road that isn't being given a certain reputation by its driver.

It's like how a Miata is a really good performing sporty car for the money. That will make everyone think you style hair for a living. For the Boxster, 'hairdresser' gets replaced with 'obnoxious douche who thinks he's hot shit even though he couldn't afford a 911.'

Stereotypes are a bitch.
Well, you have your appliances and I have mine. I prefer the two wheeled ones or the more civilized ones over the 600hp vibrating, ribbed, striped, look-at-me dildos most guys drool over.

Nothing wrong with a Miata. I kind of like them actually. I don't have a small penis though... maybe that's what you're referring to.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #113
phucheneh
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
Well, you have your appliances and I have mine. I prefer the two wheeled ones or the more civilized ones over the 600hp vibrating, ribbed, striped, look-at-me dildos most guys drool over.

Nothing wrong with a Miata. I kind of like them actually. I don't have a small penis though... maybe that's what you're referring to.
I like the Miata AND the Boxster, although I would prefer them with roofs.

I was just saying that since you said 'won't make me look like a tool' that I might as well reference the obvious stereotypes. Maybe it's different where you are, but around here, Miatas and Boxsters are not driven by enthusiasts. The latter is typically owned by people who want the badge but don't have the money. Much like the cheapest model of any luxury or otherwise high-end brand, especially older/used ones.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #114
Arkaign
Lifer

Quote:
Between the model year 2010 and 2013 I found 31 of them for sale on Autotrader within 300 miles of me. Not exactly rare or difficult to find that's for sure.
ZR1 is a fairly rare vehicle. You live in California, correct? Probably near the coast, it would make sense to have a cluster of them out there.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2011/...on-statistics/

~800 yearly? (806 for 2011 for example)

For comparison, I've seen more Ferrari 458 Italia and Gallardo and even MP4-12C in person than I've seen ZR-1s. And yes, I notice a ZR-1 when I see it. Saw one at a dealer, saw one going down I-35.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

"Ferrari figures it will make between 1500 and 2000 458 Spiders per year"

That's just the SPYDER model.

The ZR-1 is not sold anywhere besides the US AFAIK, while the Ferraris/Lambos/etc are sold all over the world. And then you have some places in the US where the wealthy can concentrate cars. None of that means that a car that only 800 or so are made annually isn't fairly rare though. They make easily 10x that many GT-Rs by comparison, and I think even Lambo builds 15k-18k cars annually, most of them having been Gallardos over the past few years.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #115
Fritzo
Lifer

Quote:

Stereotypes are a bitch.
Strange...I see one and think "I want one!" The drivers are always smiling ear to ear.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #116
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
I like the Miata AND the Boxster, although I would prefer them with roofs.

I was just saying that since you said 'won't make me look like a tool' that I might as well reference the obvious stereotypes. Maybe it's different where you are, but around here, Miatas and Boxsters are not driven by enthusiasts. The latter is typically owned by people who want the badge but don't have the money. Much like the cheapest model of any luxury or otherwise high-end brand, especially older/used ones.
Pretty sure we have a couple Miata and Boxster owners here who would disagree with you.

Quote:
The latter is typically owned by people who want the badge but don't have the money.
Where did you conjure up this nonsense? I know someone who drives a 2010 Mercedes E350. Guess she couldn't afford the E550 AMG right? Seriously, you'd have to be an idiot to believe the nonsense you just spewed.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #117
GoatMonkey
Golden Member

From that list, I would have to go GT-R. I would rather have a stock one and the change to buy a daily driver.

If I had to get just one car for $150k, I'd be looking at the Audi R8 V10 and Porsche 911 Turbo that didn't make the list.
GoatMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #118
JackBurton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatMonkey View Post
From that list, I would have to go GT-R. I would rather have a stock one and the change to buy a daily driver.

If I had to get just one car for $150k, I'd be looking at the Audi R8 V10 and Porsche 911 Turbo that didn't make the list.
Ah, I should have included the Audi R8 too.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #119
_Rick_
Platinum Member

C63 AMG also missing on the list
_Rick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #120
JackBurton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rick_ View Post
C63 AMG also missing on the list
Nah, I should have replaced the BMW M6 with the CL63 AMG. I only included the BMW because I figured there were some here that just liked BMWs and it fit within the price range. It was also 2 doors. This isn't a grocery getter poll.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #121
Fritzo
Lifer

Quote:
Pretty sure we have a couple Miata and Boxster owners here who would disagree with you.

Where did you conjure up this nonsense? I know someone who drives a 2010 Mercedes E350. Guess she couldn't afford the E550 AMG right? Seriously, you'd have to be an idiot to believe the nonsense you just spewed.
Really. Especially since the Boxster is considered on the best driving cars in the world.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #122
JCH13
Diamond Member

As far as I can tell the Miata and Boxster and similar cars are the ones actually being driven by enthusiasts. That is to say people who like actually driving cars, no necesarily driving faster than everyone else on paper.

Sure, there are non car-nuts who drive every make and every model. However the incredibly strong after-market (at least for Miatas, I'm much less familiar with Boxsters) and numerous internationally respected Miata specialty shops would indicate that a LOT of enthusiasts drive them.

Experience is knowing you were an idiot. Common sense is trying not be an idiot. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
JCH13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #123
Don Vito Corleone
Elite

Quote:

I respect your taste but am not sure why you have such an obnoxious attitude toward sports cars. Personally I think Euro sportbikes are beautiful but for me the risk-reward ratio doesn't favor motorcycles (I have had too many friends who died or suffered grievous injuries on one), plus, unlike you, I live in a climate that allows for only a short motorcycle riding season. I drive my cars on a track when I can, and love doing it. When I can afford, say, a GT3 for this purpose, I will have one. I don't consider that car (or my E46 M3) an appliance, and I certainly don't think liking either car makes me a person with a "small penis," any more than your Ducati makes you one.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #124
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito Corleone View Post
I respect your taste but am not sure why you have such an obnoxious attitude toward sports cars. Personally I think Euro sportbikes are beautiful but for me the risk-reward ratio doesn't favor motorcycles (I have had too many friends who died or suffered grievous injuries on one), plus, unlike you, I live in a climate that allows for only a short motorcycle riding season. I drive my cars on a track when I can, and love doing it. When I can afford, say, a GT3 for this purpose, I will have one. I don't think this makes me a person with a "small penis," any more than your Ducati makes you one.
Honestly, the original question was a stupid one and some of the "logic" being spewed in this thread kind of irritated me so I responded the way I did because of it.

You're right. I don't really have a problem with sports cars. Some of their drivers on the other hand really can irritate me but I shouldn't take it out on the cars themselves or paint all their owners with the same brush. Honestly though, I don't think I've ever encountered a dick driver in a Boxster or a Miata.

BTW-I love the GT3. You have excellent taste. Not sure I could live with the nature of a car like that on a daily basis though... which is why I don't own a Lotus Elise. Love the car, wouldn't love to drive it to work every single day though.

I'm not going to bother trying to explain the motorcycle. There is no logical reason to own one... but I do anyway. Rode it in to work this morning and love it.

I'll withdraw the generalization I made above.

Last edited by JulesMaximus; 12-04-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #125
Don Vito Corleone
Elite

Quote:
Honestly, the original question was a stupid one and some of the "logic" being spewed in this thread kind of irritated me so I responded the way I did because of it.

You're right. I don't really have a problem with sports cars. Some of their drivers on the other hand really can irritate me but I shouldn't take it out on the cars themselves or paint all their owners with the same brush. Honestly though, I don't think I've ever encountered a dick driver in a Boxster or a Miata.

BTW-I love the GT3. You have excellent taste. Not sure I could live with the nature of a car like that on a daily basis though... which is why I don't own a Lotus Elise. Love the car, wouldn't love to drive it to work every single day though.

I'm not going to bother trying to explain the motorcycle. There is no logical reason to own one... but I do anyway. Rode it in to work this morning and love it.

I'll withdraw the generalization I made above.
Oh, I would never want to daily drive a GT3 either, but I'd be comfortable with a pretty pedestrian daily driver knowing that beast was waiting for me in the garage at home . . .