Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #251
Muse
Lifer

Default Cheap Prescription Glasses Thread (as low as $19)

The site looks slick (bestpriceglasses.com), for the most part, but for some reason the order didn't go through. It said there was one $7.95 order in my cart but looking at the details it showed Rx as blank and the total for the order was $0.00, plus $5.95 shipping. I paid by CC, still blank, no order went through. I registered, and still the same thing. I went into the site again and ordered the same glasses and and it showed the same. I called the number listed, and got a message in some feran lingo, maybe Italian, maybe Russian, maybe Indonesian, I don't know. I found another number and got a woman who spoke excellent English and she took my order over the phone and canceled the other. Cost, $13.90 shipped. Can't go too far wrong for that. I asked for an ETA and she said they tell their customers 7-10 business days. I think they're in Monterey, CA.

Here's what I ordered: Glasses-Plastic-P2262-Eyeglasses I think they look fine. I think they look better than any of the $8 frames at Zenni.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #252
SirChadwick
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Muse
Got another question. For my OD specs (right eye), my Rx has Axis as blank. Is that the same as zero? I have to put in a value for the order to proceed. Thanks.

Also, I'm curious, my right eye Cyl is DS. What does that mean?
DS - diopters sphere (it means that you have sphere power only)
SirChadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #253
Replay
Golden Member

CoastalContacts.com is my new favorite online source for glasses.

They still have some $6.95, $9.95, and up glasses, lenses and frame, with anti-scratch, UV, and anti-reflective coatings included. They are a well established business in the NW USA and Canada.

My last order was placed on a Saturday, and shipped via Priority mail on Monday. Each pair came in a cloth bag, inside a clamshell case, with a cleaning cloth, and a mini screwdriver.

Coupon codes (google for them) or cashback (ebates, bing) can make it sweeter. Sale priced models change from time to time. Today's $19.95 pair may be the 6.95 set next month.

We had one issue, a frame was wider than specified. They sent us a prepaid return mailer.

Other sites are cheaper for tints, or progressive lenses. Bifocal users should consider getting two 6.95 pairs, one for distance, and one for reading. For regular glasses the offshore sites can't match the quality, speedy service, or the price.
Replay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #254
shortylickens
No Lifer

Thanks for this thread. Am tired of spending so much on glasses. I have been hearing about cheap eyeglass websites since the start of the internet, but never felt confident enough to try any of them. The recommendations here will help me out a lot.
Free eye exam from the VA + 9.99 glasses = WIN!
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:50 AM   #255
mikeford
Diamond Member

We have ordered about 4 pairs from Zenni, no real issues. Last pair arrived with a nose pad loose which got dropped and never found, they sent out a replacement right away.

Since I don't have an spare eyeballs I can't "afford" lasik, or skipping a regular visit to a decent optometrist.
mikeford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #256
shortylickens
No Lifer

OK, I just ordered from Zenni Optical and Coastal Contacts.

Coastal was OK to navigate and fairly easy to order from. Entering prescription data was not a hassle, HOWEVER, they dont make it easy to order multiple items of the same prescription. If you want several glasses you have to back up from the checkout page and enter everything again manually. It would be nice if you could change quantities or have the website remember your info. They didnt have shit for men in the $6.95 range and only one Unisex frame in the $9.95 range (which I ordered). Searching by price is a pain in the butt.

Adding features to lenses is easy but fairly expensive. Those dirt cheap glasses get very pricy when you do anything outside basic single vision. BUT, they do not charge extra for strong prescriptions.

Zenni optical had much more stuff and overall better prices. Site was a little easier to navigate, especially when searching by price. Add-ons like tint were considerably cheaper BUT, they charge extra money for strong prescriptions, so again those dirt cheap glasses probably wont be dirt cheap by the time you are done.
Also, they have a nice selection of industrial frames and sporting goggles, which I did not find on most other sites. http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php?cat=27
Prices were extremely nice for such cool stuff. They let you order multiple items of the exact same type simply by changing the number in the checkout box. However, if you want something different you have to go back and reenter all the info manually. Again it would have been nice if the website could remember your prescription info.

Because of shipping costs I ordered two sets from each store. Whichever one is best will get a couple more orders for sunglasses. If Zenni turns out to be better I will also order a set of those goggles.
I will report back when the glasses come in.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #257
SirChadwick
Diamond Member

Alright guys got my glasses from Zenni. They're going back. The fit was great and I love the style. The lenses are very lightweight compared to what I wear from Lenscrafters. The problem is that the Rx doesn't seem the same, even though it's the EXACT Rx that I got from Lenscrafters. I have trouble focusing with them unless I squint a bit. I called their customer service dept and they are having me ship back the glasses w/ a printout of my Rx and they will figure out what went wrong. I'm hoping it was just a minor screwup on their part, but I have doubts for some reason - they're cheap maybe? lol.
SirChadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #258
funboy6942
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: SirChadwick
Alright guys got my glasses from Zenni. They're going back. The fit was great and I love the style. The lenses are very lightweight compared to what I wear from Lenscrafters. The problem is that the Rx doesn't seem the same, even though it's the EXACT Rx that I got from Lenscrafters. I have trouble focusing with them unless I squint a bit. I called their customer service dept and they are having me ship back the glasses w/ a printout of my Rx and they will figure out what went wrong. I'm hoping it was just a minor screwup on their part, but I have doubts for some reason - they're cheap maybe? lol.
It always takes a bit to get used to new glasses. the reason being is the shape of the lens in not the same as your older pair. Id put them on for a day or two and bet anything you adjust just fine.

This happens to me every time I get new glasses.
funboy6942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #259
craftech

A number of years ago, Consumers Union (Consumer Reports) evaluated prescription glasses vendors. While I don't know who they recommended at the time I do remember that they found that the prescription glasses they received from MOST OF THE VENDORS didn't match the prescription they had given them.

Take it for what it's worth.

John
craftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #260
mscdex0
Platinum Member

I bought a pair of glasses from 39dollarglasses.com a couple years back and I still use them just about every day. They fit great and I haven't had any problems with the glasses at all since I bought them.

Heat
My Rigs
mscdex0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #261
Happy00000
Banned

i need to get a new glasses soon. Thanks.
Happy00000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #262
Happy00000
Banned

appropriate
Happy00000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #263
tomatom

~ I'm a big AnandTech fan , * Hot Deals & Software for Windows * ,

but some posts originated months ( years ? ) ago .

Shouldn't the mods start a new post like : XYZ-II-09-20 ?

a short sumation o9f the previous thread and a link to it

should be included ...
Old 10-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #264
shortylickens
No Lifer

OK! BUMP!!!

I got the coastal contacts glasses a little while ago. They were much faster BUT, the frames were too small. In the $9.95 bin they have nine womens frames and one unisex frame. The unisex is too small for me. Each pair came with a hard case that was actually pretty nice, a little soft velvet bag, a repair kit, and a nice wipe cloth. Coastal charges much more for upgrades like tint and plastic lenses and coatings and shit. They do not charge extra for strong prescriptions. I only got 2 pair of some basic lenses. Called them up and they agreed to a complete refund. Even sent me a printout mail label so I can return them free of charge.
Now thats what I call service!!
Will order some 20 dollar glasses tomorrow. No tints or anything.

Just got the Zenni Opticals this afternoon.
They come with a very cheap plastic case and no repair kit or velvet bag. Much cheaper wipe cloth. By default they charge less for upgrades like tint and bi-focals and such, but their base prices is a little higher AND they charge extra for strong prescriptions, which (according to them) is anything stronger than a 2.5. Which is bullshit. If both my eyes needed less than a 2.5 I wouldnt even bother wearing glasses most of the time.
What I got did fit correctly (one pair normal, one pair tinted) and they seem really nice for cheap ass glasses.
Will go back and order some of those safety goggles I saw. Hate using those cheap generic goggles at the gun range, especially when I try to get them over my specs.
http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php?cat=27
Old 12-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #265
Muse
Lifer

BumP!

I just got my eyes examined last week and I want to get a few sets of computer glasses if the price and quality is right, maybe a set of distance glasses, too.

The glasses I've ordered online were OK, I suppose, in terms of Rx (I supplied that), but the frames (I admit, cheap!) have been crappy. I'm willing to pay more for the frames to the point where I'm happy with them... big enough, functional, durable (style more or less secondary). Anybody get something like that online?

Last edited by Muse; 12-04-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Muse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #266
Evander
Golden Member

I'm glad I checked out this thread. I've been having trouble finding a place that sells glasses without a prescription and it looks like the one Muse mentioned in post 251:
http://www.bestpriceglasses.com/
will work (and they have a 20% holiday coupon right now). For contact lenses w/o a prescription, I highly recommend this place (for Americans, they are shipped from WA):
http://www.1-save-on-lens.com/
Evander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #267
mikeford
Diamond Member

None of the online places seem to require a Rx, you just fill out a form with your information. Usually that is just copied from your Rx, but last time I used Zenni I wanted to "try" a variation on my prescription, so just as easily could have made up any numbers I wanted to.

Generally I don't think that is wise, prescriptions often change all over the place or in one eye and not the other, so its really best to have an exam. Routine exams can catch potentially serious issues with your eyes before they become irreversible.

I'm ready for some premium glasses this round. High index and ground at an angle on the edges for minimum weight (instead of straight back), and maybe three pairs in the same quality frame so if I wear out one frame I could swap lenses into the least used. Anybody know of a place like that? Cheaper best glasses instead of best cheaper ones.

***We just had a family member need a rush pair of new glasses, so we used a good local place, YIPES $600 for one pair. I can't believe what some places can talk you into thinking you need or that is better, these were nothing special at all.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #268
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeford View Post

***We just had a family member need a rush pair of new glasses, so we used a good local place, YIPES $600 for one pair. I can't believe what some places can talk you into thinking you need or that is better, these were nothing special at all.
Yeah, I can't see walking into a B&M outfit anymore for glasses. I'm with Kaiser, where I had my eyes "examined" a week ago. They check a few things, the people they have doing it do probably thousands a year, it's a mill. I got my eyes examined a few times at the UC Berkeley optometry clinic (before I got on board with Kaiser), where they have students doing the examinations under the supervision of pros. They did a rather thorough examination. That would cost me around $50, maybe a bit more. It was worth it because I got the feeling that they really checked things out, made sure your eyes are OK. My recollection was that the treatment I got was quite personal compared to Kaiser where the priority is to get you in there and out of there in a hurry. It's like you never get off the conveyor belt! Hopefully, I will like my glasses this time. In the last several years I've not been satisfied with my vision with the Rx's I've been getting.

My Kaiser plan awards me $125 of free optometry clinic glasses (their own clinic downstairs) every 2 years and the guy told me that if I wait until Jan. 7, I will be eligible for that. I think what I'll do is take them a pair I got from them a few years ago and have my new Rx for distance glasses put in them. That should come in just under the $125 allowance. However for computer glasses I want to get them online, the only way to fly if you aren't wealthy, IMO. I want decent frames this time, though. It's kind of hard to tell online, the pictures can look great but when you get it, it disappoints has been my experience so far. That's why I posted this morning... for ideas.

Last edited by Muse; 12-04-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Muse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #269
mikeford
Diamond Member

Rush glasses we paid $600 for took two weeks, and wife doesn't like them (lens shape). Rx changed, wasn't fun or likely to ever happen again, but here we are looking for a new pair ASAP. Decided the ASAP a bigger factor than price so stopped in at Lens Crafters, $700 for lenses and she couldn't find a pair of glasses she really liked as well as her old pair from Zenni (Titanium flex), AND they told her 10 days due to high Rx in one eye. 1.67 index in transitions is +$169 at Zenni, but total shipped still about half price even with insurance.

BTW Lens Crafters said there parent company Luxotica owns EyeMed insurance as well.

Note on Zenni, I used their chat at 8pm on Friday and got immediate replies. Some technical questions about lens thickness required email to the lab, three of those including some after midnight were answered in less than an hour. The calculated the actual edge thickness from our prescription in the different index materials. Chat and lab both confirmed that Zenni always bevels the edges and polishes them. Non beveled edges go straight back and weigh considerably more.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #270
cardiac
Golden Member

I love Zenni. We have purchased 10 pairs of glasses from them over the years, and never a problem...
Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #271
mikeford
Diamond Member

Promo with Zenni that just ended 4/8 til 4/15 was like them on facebook and get 1/2 off a second pair. When I did that for my order on 4/14 close to 29,000 people had requested the code. Makes me wonder how many pair they must sell.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #272
gorb

I recently got a pair from warby parker. Cost me $125 shipped for frame + 1.67 lenses. All their lenses come with anti-scratch and anti-reflective coatings by default. The first pair I received had loose lenses in the frame, but they sent me a replacement pair quickly which didn't have the issue.

$125 for the complete pair of glasses is significantly cheaper than what I normally pay elsewhere. I've got VSP insurance which is only accepted at certain doctors/glasses shops. I got new lenses a few months ago (I get an allowance for frames every 2 years), and that has a $20 copay and discounts for upgrades. Including the copay, my lenses cost me something like $250. That included the best anti reflective & anti scratch option, 1.74 lenses, and edge treatments. I think I was out of pocket something like $430 last year for my frames and lenses (1.67 lenses, middle level AR/AS coatings, and no edge treatments).

The warby parker frames do feel cheaper than my other frames, but they are still pretty nice imo
gorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #273
mikeford
Diamond Member

Big difference between polycarbonate 1.67 and Transitions 1.67, at Zenni PC is $34.95 and Trans is $169.00 (add on cost).

I check Warby Parker and they don't make in my high Rx range anyway. ;(
Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #274
ilmmaf

I used framesdirect.com because I have an extremely high correction level needed, and got a pair of good looking frames with no "coke bottle" effect for 120.
ilmmaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #275
mikeford
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmmaf View Post
I used framesdirect.com because I have an extremely high correction level needed, and got a pair of good looking frames with no "coke bottle" effect for 120.
YIPES

Starting At:
Regular Plastic $45.80
Polycarbonate $89.00
High Index 1.67 $119.00
High Index 1.74 $230.00

Starting at, there are other basic charges for just the lens. They do carry some premium brands like Wiley X, but not cheap.