· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #26
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheel View Post
but I give Chrono's more than yours...
Are you six years old or something?
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #27
Capt Caveman
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDave View Post
Are you six years old or something?
Just report him, hopefully PM will get rid of him.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #28
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

does anyone know, if the glass on the back does break, is it easy to replace? is it just a matter of a couple screws or do yo have to remove attached electronic components? how much does a replacement back cost? they should come out with a plastic one, it seems like that would be an easy thing to do
OBLAMA2009 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #29
zip1385
Golden Member

I am currently waiting for mine to come in, but my friend has already dropped his. It landed on the back of the phone and it didn't crack or break. There were some marks from the drop, but that's it.
zip1385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #30
bearxor
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeRium View Post
*snip*
Thanks, DLeRium. I tell ya, every time I decide I can deal with Android, I read something like this that reminds me of how much Android doesn't "click" with my brain as much as iOS does. I'm switching to TMobile and Straight Talk by the end of the month and have been floating the idea of just keeping my iPhone 5 and dealing with EDGE until TMo launches LTE in Charlotte. Argh!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #31
BlahBlahYouToo
Lifer

Nice review but u didnt address the question on everyone's mind. Were u able to check into foursquare faster than everyone else including your gf?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #32
cronos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahBlahYouToo View Post
Nice review but u didnt address the question on everyone's mind. Were u able to check into foursquare faster than everyone else including your gf?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #33
preslove
Lifer

Wait, wasn't Chrono being ironic? I mean, DleRium did say that the Nexus 4 is a match for the iPhone 5. Given the price difference and the fact that Nexus 4 is unlocked pentaband, matching the latest iPhone is a clear victory for Nexus 4.
What is jesus's middle name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
...I was in it for the mutton kebabs but found myself eating penis. It happens.

Last edited by preslove; 12-04-2012 at 10:28 AM.
preslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #34
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLAMA2009 View Post
does anyone know, if the glass on the back does break, is it easy to replace? is it just a matter of a couple screws or do yo have to remove attached electronic components? how much does a replacement back cost? they should come out with a plastic one, it seems like that would be an easy thing to do
They have the antennaes built into the back and I think there is some cable attached to the back as well that can be disconnected. The back appears to be replaceable and it would certainly be cheaper than having to replace a front LCD. But I don't think it'll be a cheap replacement either. Doubt we'll see plastic aftermarket replacement backs.

Windows: Dell XPS 12, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nokia Icon, Nokia Lumia 521
Android: Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3, Nook HD+
iOS: iPad Mini with Retina, iPhone 5S
Ravynmagi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #35
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preslove View Post
Wait, wasn't Chrono being ironic? I mean, DleRium did say that the Nexus 4 is a match for the iPhone 5. Given the price difference and the fact that Nexus 4 is unlocked pentaband, matching the latest iPhone is a clear victory for Nexus 4.
I'd think if you were in the market for an unlocked phone it's a no brainer. With contract pricing you might consider the other phone. Or if LTE is a necessity for you. Or I guess if you're on CDMA also.

But for an AT&T user yeah, no brainer.

And I wouldn't have an iPhone if it weren't for work. The cost of getting one unlocked is just too ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahBlahYouToo View Post
lol with this phone it's actually slower without the lockscreen shortcut, but I suppose because the app launches a bit faster maybe that makes up? I'd say I was faster on my SGS2, but her SGS3 looks sluggish now (not sure why), so I'd say I still have the advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxor View Post
Thanks, DLeRium. I tell ya, every time I decide I can deal with Android, I read something like this that reminds me of how much Android doesn't "click" with my brain as much as iOS does. I'm switching to TMobile and Straight Talk by the end of the month and have been floating the idea of just keeping my iPhone 5 and dealing with EDGE until TMo launches LTE in Charlotte. Argh!
I don't recommend that for anyone. I tried to go through 2008 telling myself 3G was just a battery thing (I bought into Apple's iPhone 2G argument), and while I did have good battery on my smartphone to go 2 days, I felt like I was missing out. I guess if you're good at downloading and browsing only while at home you should be ok. Handling small data like email, tweets on 2G should be manageable. I'm just wondering if there are any capacity issues on 2G.

Last edited by DLeRium; 12-04-2012 at 12:22 PM.
DLeRium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #36
DLeRium
Lifer

Added Bug section:

Quote:
9) Issues/Bugs: I notice my speaker crackles sometimes when pressing a button that's supposed to create an audible tone. I work in vibrate 99% of the time, but I find it odd. It's like as if the speaker turns on to emit sound but since I'm at vibrate, it emits a 0db sound. The fact that it even turns on is like wtf?
I tend to be one who doesn't like to complain about bugs because I usually attribute them to a minority case or a PEBKAC. That's why when I see on XDA people saying "omg today's nightly has WAY better battery. I can go 28 hours instead of 24 hours." when there have been no kernel commits or any important commits for the last 3 weeks, I do a /facepalm.

Some other things like iPhone Bendgate I tend to think that's overblown. I asked a good double digit # of guys and girls about their iPhone 5s and noone has a bent iPhone. Maybe the females are too light and fragile (Asian) for their butts to really bend the iPhones.

In general a lot of issues tend to be overblown like the glass back and stuff. I put mine down on granite the other day which is cold and it didn't crack down the middle. WTF. I'm sure thousands of people put their phones on tile or some cold surface in the kitchen, and don't see their iPhone 4s or Nexus phones exploding.

But I did do some testing today and here's what I noticed:

- Volume up: Notifications auidble
- Volume down: Notifications vibrate
- Press random app in launcher: Hear speaker crackle.

Edit: FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

- Putting my ear next to the speaker, it seems the speaker turns on for every audible event. Regardless of whether you are in vibrate, sound, or silent mode.
- The speaker turns on for a few seconds at a time and stays on for a second or two after the audible event.
- Speaker then shuts off.
- In vibrate or silent, you expect no sound, but the speaker powering on is loud enough that you hear a crackle.

Last edited by DLeRium; 12-04-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #37
tvdang7
Platinum Member

FYI there is a gallery short cut swipe from right to left in the camera app. there is also a fast delete. pinch inward to make the picture smaller and slide up or down and it deletes it.
1tb hardrive + 24 gb ssd
nvidia 750m SLI
1080p

Last edited by tvdang7; 12-06-2012 at 12:28 AM.
tvdang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 AM   #38
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdang7 View Post
FYI there is a gallery short cut swipe from right to left in the camera app. there is also a fast delete. pinch inward to make the picture smaller and slide up or down and it deletes it.
Yah thanks! Glad I learned about the gallery shortcut in swiping. The fast delete is a new feature I didn't know about either! Thanks!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #39
Nvidiaguy07
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm curious as how Apple will respond with the last couple of salvos from Google.
with lawsuits.

Yea it looks like a really nice phone, but in a lot of ways, its a minor upgrade over the gnex. I was, and still am waiting for another nexus to come out that blows everything else away. I love the fact that this phone can be had for 300, but i would love if another premium nexus comes out from samsung that costs a little more.

Since ive had my galaxy nexus, ive always envied how much better the sgs3 feels in the hand - its so slim! Even with a case on, the difference is pretty big - and the sgs3 has a bigger battery than the gnex - so what does that tell you?

Give a another nexus phone!!! Werent there plans for multiple nexii this year?
Nvidiaguy07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #40
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Quote:
but in fluidity I don't think Project Butter is as good as a fully GPU accelerated UI.
'iPhone 5 felt smoother overall to me'

A statement that no reasonable person would argue about.

'I don't even know what a blit is, but I can deduce the level of hardware acceleration for a GUI by playing with it for a minute or two'.

Makes you sound like a lunatic fan regurgitating the PR being spoon fed to you by your parent company. Check out the latest version of iOS on two year old hardware- it's still fully GPU accelerated and choppy as hell.

Quote:
- Notification toggles. Decent, but it's not a real toggle like the CM or Samsung or HTC toggles.
This different on the 4 then the 7? On the 7 it is a toggle just like CM10(running CM10 on my daily driver atm).
BenSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #41
vshah
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
Thanks for the tip. That worked great and the film strip is pretty cool idea.
from there you can get to the gallery proper via an icon in the corner as well.
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #42
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywalker View Post
Makes you sound like a lunatic fan regurgitating the PR being spoon fed to you by your parent company. Check out the latest version of iOS on two year old hardware- it's still fully GPU accelerated and choppy as hell.
My old iPhone 3GS that I gave out to my family is on iOS6 and the UI is still pretty zippy.
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #43
zerocool84
Lifer

Double post

Last edited by zerocool84; 12-06-2012 at 12:01 PM.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #44
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidiaguy07 View Post
with lawsuits.

Yea it looks like a really nice phone, but in a lot of ways, its a minor upgrade over the gnex. I was, and still am waiting for another nexus to come out that blows everything else away. I love the fact that this phone can be had for 300, but i would love if another premium nexus comes out from samsung that costs a little more.

Since ive had my galaxy nexus, ive always envied how much better the sgs3 feels in the hand - its so slim! Even with a case on, the difference is pretty big - and the sgs3 has a bigger battery than the gnex - so what does that tell you?

Give a another nexus phone!!! Werent there plans for multiple nexii this year?
We DO have multiple Nexus products, the 7, 10, 4, that little orby thingy. No one ever said multiple phones just multiple Nexus products.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #45
NikolaeVarius
Diamond Member

Quote:
My old iPhone 3GS that I gave out to my family is on iOS6 and the UI is still pretty zippy.
And its laggy. I'm at a school. I'm surrounded by iPhones of all generations. Older versions chug pretty heavily, even moreso than my Rom'd Droid X that I used to use.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #46
Nvidiaguy07
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
We DO have multiple Nexus products, the 7, 10, 4, that little orby thingy. No one ever said multiple phones just multiple Nexus products.
I see. I thought they made that statement after the nexus 7 was already out, and the google tablet was pretty much announced already - which would lead me to believe that they were already counting things that were out already.

So is it confirmed that the nexus 4 is THE nexus phone for the next year? If so its kind of a bummer.

Honestly if the SGS3 was a nexus device, id probably rather have that than the nexus 4. I prefer AMOLED - even if the colors may not be as accurate as IPS, id rather have the deeper blacks for reading. And after putting AOSP roms on non-nexus devices - im never going back to anything but a nexus phone. Too many bugs and other issues that I havent had after switching to a gnex.
Nvidiaguy07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #47
bearxor
Diamond Member

Quote:
We still roll out a lot of iPhone 4's with iOS 6 and they work really well. But I imagine once you start using them and it starts getting cached files and searches and stuff it'd slow down a bit.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #48
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaeVarius View Post
And its laggy. I'm at a school. I'm surrounded by iPhones of all generations. Older versions chug pretty heavily, even moreso than my Rom'd Droid X that I used to use.
I have an iPod Touch 4G, my mom has a 3GS I try to provide tech support, and an iPhone 5. The 3GS might lag after apps get installed left and right, but my iPod is smooth as hell.

The only time it wasn't was when I jailbroke it, but even then the iPhone 4 has more RAM than the iPod Touch, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I have enough phones to tell you what's laggy and what's not, and everything that's not a Nexus 4 I've seen lags more than my iPod and iPhone. That said it's not unusable, but it'd be nice if its faster. If I use my iDevices and go back to my SGS2, the difference is noticeable. The N4 still hiccups here and there but that may be because of widgets, but overall I think it's pretty close to the iPhone.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #49
NikolaeVarius
Diamond Member

Quote:
I have an iPod Touch 4G, my mom has a 3GS I try to provide tech support, and an iPhone 5. The 3GS might lag after apps get installed left and right, but my iPod is smooth as hell.

The only time it wasn't was when I jailbroke it, but even then the iPhone 4 has more RAM than the iPod Touch, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I have enough phones to tell you what's laggy and what's not, and everything that's not a Nexus 4 I've seen lags more than my iPod and iPhone. That said it's not unusable, but it'd be nice if its faster. If I use my iDevices and go back to my SGS2, the difference is noticeable. The N4 still hiccups here and there but that may be because of widgets, but overall I think it's pretty close to the iPhone.

And I've been surrounded by dozens of iphones, ipods, of every make and caliber, and I'm always amazed at how people called these things "buttery smooth from day 1" when they chug a ton while scrolling lists and such.

I've done side by side comparisons with the Ip5 and the GS3 w/ 4.1.2 and they perform exactly the same.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #50
Red Storm
Lifer

So why exactly do you still use a Milestone? Or the Nexus S? Just curious. I'd have sold those things a long time ago while they still had value. It makes upgrading much more affordable.

Once you start actually using these devices, I've noticed that they all lag. My iPhone 4 lagged, my iPad 3 lagged, my Galaxy Nexus lagged, My SGS3 lagged, My Nexus 4 will lag on occasion as well. Still waiting for it to be an actual issue that affects my usage.

What's odd is that every year when the new iPhone comes out you hear people say "It's completely smooth!" but they also say "It's so much smoother than the previous iPhone!" So which is it?

Last edited by Red Storm; 12-06-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Red Storm is online now   Reply With Quote