· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
TheSiege
Diamond Member

Default Need an opinion or 2 on how difficult this job would be involves Active Directory

I am going to apply for this job

Access Administrator:
Responsibilities include: The successful candidate is responsible for creating, modifying system access for regional systems. This individual provides solutions and resolving access/permission issues and adheres to organizational security standards. Troubleshooting technical issues related to systems and applications for which access has been granted to a user. Logging and processing end user requests for password resets and other helpdesk technology. Other duties as assigned.

SELECTION CRITERIA

BASIC REQUIREMENTS: To be considered for this job, applicants must meet these basic requirements:

2-3 year related work experience preferred
Experience with Microsoft Exchange, Windows XP, Windows 7 preferred
Experience with Microsoft Active Directory preferred
Experience with Oracle Applications is a plus preferred
Strong troubleshooting skills preferred
A+ Certified Computer Technician preferred

So it pretty much sounds like setting up new users and giving and removing rights as well as password resets. Only thing is, I am not sure if I am qualified. I do have a strong background in computers relatively speaking. I just have never used Active Directory. or exchange. I have used mysql in websites but that's about it. I am wondering, judging by the job description, does this position seem entry/mid level. I plan on buying active directory for dummies. Its an internal posting and I have the VP going to bat for me, so assuming I can get the position is it at all likely I could be successful having never actually used active directory?
TheSiege is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
smakme7757
Golden Member

In your case unless they are willing to give you the time to get your feet wet then it might not be worth it for them. You will most likely be going up against people with Active Directory experience, so why should they choose you?

The only thing you have going for you is that "preferred" is in the job description.

With all things being equal - Creating new users and changing passwords for exsisting ones isn't a big job. you just have to know where to look in the AD structure. With that being said they might expect you to be able to utilize scripts if you are going to be creating hundreds of new users or something like that.

To get a kick start into AD Create your own domain at home in Server 2008 R2 and have a play. At least try to understand how AD works. That would be better than just the book alone.

Again the word "preferred" seems to sugest that you would be considered if they don't get any other candidates with prior experience, so i'd say apply for it. But definately try to learn som Active Directory beforehand.

If you need a key for a 180 days trial of Server 2008 R2 let me know.

Last edited by smakme7757; 11-25-2012 at 10:54 AM.
smakme7757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Nothinman
Elite Member

If the first paragraph is the true job description you'll probably be fine. But more often than not type of quick descriptions are woefully inaccurate. If you're going to be a Jr guy fielding calls like you describe to change permissions, groups, passwords, etc then you'll probably be fine. But if they really want you to touch Exchange you could be in trouble because you could probably bluff your way through the AD stuff as the core is pretty simple, but Exchange is a whole other beast.

I would just make sure that you won't be the sole guy handling it all and will have someone to ask questions initially.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
nusyo

If all you have to do is add/change/del permissions then probably you'll have limited access to Active Directory in the first place ... meaning you can't mess it up

But if they expect you to do more than that, you need to really learn it
(some community colleges offer classes on Active Directory, and it usually involves labs & practice)

If you want to learn Active Directory why not prepare for Microsoft MCTIP as well? (Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 which includes AD) http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...citp.aspx#tab2