· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
thestrangebrew1
Golden Member

Default How to Case Mod w/spray paint

I ordered one of those Foxconn barebone kits and it doesn't quite go with the rest of my home theater equipment. It's got silver trim on the face/front of the case that I was thinking of possibly spray painting to match. I def. didn't buy it for it's cosmetics thinking I could do something about it later. Is there any steps I should take in preparation ie primer, sanding (or equivalent for plastic pieces)?

Server: Intel g630, Biostar H61, 4gb gskill ram, antec 400w eco psu
thestrangebrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
tracerbullet
Golden Member

Light sanding, clean thoroughly, primer, paint. Always worked for me.

Careful of dust, fibers from cleaning, bugs that seem to like to land in it, and so on. If needed you can sand with super fine grit paper and / or polish if something does happen, but best to avoid it to start with.

Also something I have learned to do is try to get paint and primer from the same company and check the ingredient list. I don't remember the exact combo but I've had some paints wrinkle the primer. Xylene, toluene, something didn't play nicely with each other.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
thestrangebrew1
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
Light sanding, clean thoroughly, primer, paint. Always worked for me.

Careful of dust, fibers from cleaning, bugs that seem to like to land in it, and so on. If needed you can sand with super fine grit paper and / or polish if something does happen, but best to avoid it to start with.

Also something I have learned to do is try to get paint and primer from the same company and check the ingredient list. I don't remember the exact combo but I've had some paints wrinkle the primer. Xylene, toluene, something didn't play nicely with each other.
Thanks for the tips. I'll look into some of this stuff.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
tracerbullet
Golden Member

Just remembering that some spray paints (Krylon at least, likely others) will be labeled for being OK to go right onto plastic, might save a step that way. Forget the primer.

Some plastics don't really paint well, Delrin and such, but I seriously doubt that's what you have. Once you've sanded it, it will probably feel dry, and be just fine. If it seems like it's got a wet or slippery feeling, then there's a chance paint won't take well but again it's unlikely. This sounds like a molded piece of plastic and not something machined.

Keep in mind shiny / matte finish when buying the actual paint, not just the color. If in doubt, go for shiny, and if needed you can finish off with a really light coat shot from a bit of a distance to give it a little bit of a matte look. This would be considered a mistake anytime you wanted something shiny (i.e. automotive) but you can do it intentionally on something like this if needed.

Go w/ numerous light coats, and don't be tempted to put the parts near something warm to dry faster, the outside can dry faster than what's underneath and fool you into thinking it's Ok to handle, or worse yet warp the parts. I've done both.

LOL 1 more thing, Home Depot / Lowes / your local big box typically has the most paint. I try to do the mom & pop Ace stores when I can but the big box normally blows them away on this, and you might want that big selection to get what you need to match the other stuff.

Last edited by tracerbullet; 12-03-2012 at 06:45 PM.
tracerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

How much is silver? Is the underlying plastic black? Maybe you can just sand off the silver and leave it that way?

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Blain
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew1 View Post
I ordered one of those Foxconn barebone kits and it doesn't quite go with the rest of my home theater equipment.
Which one?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
OILFIELDTRASH
Lifer

Look at the rustoleum black trim paint at AutoZone or Walmart. Its made specifically for plastics. I painted some trim on my mustang black and it has held up to power washing at the car wash.
OILFIELDTRASH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
dma0991
Platinum Member

You should use some sandpaper on the surface. It doesn't have to completely remove the original paint, just scuff it up a little bit for the primer to adhere properly. Then use the pain with the color of your liking, apply thin coats while keeping the distance far enough and in a swaying motion. This will prevent the layer of paint underneath from not drying up properly. Finish it off with some clear coat. I find spray can paint will not give you the finish that you would expect of an automotive paint but it should be good enough.
Intel Core i5 3570K [4.5GHz @ 1.28V]|MSI Z77A-GD65|Samsung MV-3V4G3D 16GB 1866MHz@9-9-9-24/1.35V|Powercolor HD4650|Corsair Force GT 120GB|Samsung F3 1TB|Corsair CX500|Corsair 400R|XSPC Raystorm + XSPC EX240 + EK DCP 4.0
Intel Core i7 2600|ASRock H61M/U3S3|Kingston HyperX 8GB|Intel HD2000|WD Blue 320GB|Samsung F4EG 2TB|WD Green 2TB|WD Green 3TB|WD Green 3TB|FSP SAGA II 500W|CM Elite 343
| |
dma0991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
thestrangebrew1
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blain View Post
Which one?
I got this one on sale for $59.99 last week:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856119065

It's been delivered but I'm at work so I haven't opened it up yet. It's not alot of silver, but my receiver & DVR box is black. Just being nitpicky lol. I'll put it on the stand and see what it looks like before I mod it, but I'm thinking it's going to look a little funny with the silver already.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
bdk1976

Depending on the plastic type, you might want to try an adhesion promoter like Bulldog. You should be able to get it in a spray can - if they don't have it at a hardware store, try an auto parts store.
bdk1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
Blain
Lifer

Dye the silver trim... Click Here
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
MadScientist
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blain View Post
Dye the silver trim... Click Here

Use vinyl dye. It chemically bonds with the plastic and will not wear off. I found that Dupli-color makes the best. Available at most auto parts stores.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/
Asrock Z68 Extreme 4, i5-2500K @4.6 Ghz, 1.340V, Lian Li PC-7A Plus, Corsair A70, Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint HD103SJ 1TB, 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 @1.575V,Seasonic M12II 620W PSU, MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti, Samsung SH-S223B, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
thestrangebrew1
Golden Member

Thanks for the tip on vinyl dye. Looks pretty easy!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
Joje

Really easy oO
Joje is offline   Reply With Quote